• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

So I have a few hours played in the MP. Overall I want to applaud Sledgehammer for really investing something into the CoD formula to try and change it up. I don't think there has been this big a change from one game to the next ever since we went from CoD4 back to World at War. Treyarch and IW games used to feel and play differently, but lately imho they have played all like pretty much the same game. This one has the exoskeleton suits and their abilities, which adds a lot of movement and mobility options.

But they seem entirely irrelevant thanks to the map design and the general rule of CoD where you go down in 2-3 bullets. I mean, what is the point of having the ability to jet pack into the air or do a quick strafe/dash if you're dead in half a second anyway? It would feel and play so much better if you were able to withstand more rounds before dying. Then you could actually use these movements and mobility mechanics to your advantage.

Also, is it just me or are shotguns pretty much worthless? Since they opened the maps up a lot more to account for faster movement and verticality, there are a lot more wide open areas it seems. And so shotguns are a pain to use. Their damage is just so low. Sometimes I can be within 5 feet of someone and wreck them with 2-3 shots and they don't drop.

Alright I just tested it with two different controllers and I connected with an Xbone in the same house to make sure it wasn't my internet or controllers. There's a glitch on the ps4 version where your character won't run or strafe. That's just great.

wege12

Are any other PS4 owners having issues with the game stuttering to a crawl when launching the game and continuing so you're unable to play?

I've tried deleting the game, resetting my PS4, rebuilding the database and nothing works. I tried another PS4 game i have on disc and have no issues. As of right now, I'm unable to play Advanced Warfare whatsoever.

Any suggestions?

ChuckNyce

Qf2XZKu.png

95.gif

Jblanks

What's with the loading bar going into a map, loading almost half way stopping, and then I join like 10 seconds already into the match. Never did this with any other CoD.

But they seem entirely irrelevant thanks to the map design and the general rule of CoD where you go down in 2-3 bullets. I mean, what is the point of having the ability to jet pack into the air or do a quick strafe/dash if you're dead in half a second anyway? It would feel and play so much better if you were able to withstand more rounds before dying. Then you could actually use these movements and mobility mechanics to your advantage.

Fast TTK is a staple for the franchise. But I disagree that because of the fast TTK the jet pack stuff is useless. It opens up whole new avenues both defensively and offensively. You just have to be smart and play to those strengths.

gaugebozo

Just a few questions:

1). How are the spawns? Has anyone spawned and been immediately shot in the back or shot someone who spawned in front of them?

2). One of the reasons Titanfall got boring for me was that you move so much faster that there are less viable styles of play. In particular, shotguns and snipers where harder to use. Does the extra speed here change the COD style of play in a way that makes a particular loadout the strongest?

So, if I had to rate the top 3 COD campaigns for myself, it'd go something like:

1. COD4
  2. Black Ops
  3. Black Ops II

Anyone else here feel that way? How would you rate Advanced Warfare if so :)

ChuckNyce

So, if I had to rate the top 3 COD campaigns for myself, it'd go something like:

1. COD4
  2. Black Ops
  3. Black Ops II

That's about how my list goes as well. I'm only maybe mid way through the AW campaign, but so far I think it probably belongs between Blops 1 and Blops 2 IMO.

Just a few questions:

1). How are the spawns? Has anyone spawned and been immediately shot in the back or shot someone who spawned in front of them?

2). One of the reasons Titanfall got boring for me was that you move so much faster that there are less viable styles of play. In particular, shotguns and snipers where harder to use. Does the extra speed here change the COD style of play in a way that makes a particular loadout the strongest?

I have not come across a lot of sniper at all, i think it's really hard to use them now.
Shotguns are ok as secondary, but primary you going to have a rough time depending what map you are on.

For the moment it's going to be an assault rifle dominant cod game.

owyeah,the spawns: i've gotten some pretty bad spawns yea, bust mostly they are fine. with all the fast movement you're bound to have a couple of bad ones now and then.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

1. COD4
  2. Black Ops
  3. Black Ops II

Completely agree, although I'd put AW at number 2. Could be the fresh Spacey boner talking though.

Just a few questions:

Horrible.
I was in a game earlier where I was going around the left of a map,
Get sniped then respawn directly behind that sniper who is now watching that way.

Got to see myself get killed twice in a single killcam, never had that happen before.

Vidpixel

1. COD4
  2. Black Ops
  3. Black Ops II

I haven't finished Advanced Warfare yet so I won't include it, even though I'm enjoying it immensely so far, but my list would be as follows:

1. CoD 4
2. CoD 2
3. Black Ops

Joco

I really can't make up my mind about the movement. On the one hand it's fresh and new and it allows all sorts of things to happen which wouldn't have been previously possible.

On the other hand I find myself constantly getting flanked and the game even more chaotic than previous entries in the series. It's been difficult for me to maintain any kind of consistency what so ever.

Nome

I really can't make up my mind about the movement. One the one hand it's fresh and new and it allows all sorts of things to happen which wouldn't have been previously possible.

On the other hand I find myself constantly getting flanked and the game even more chaotic than previous entries in the series. It's been difficult for me to maintain any kind of consistency what so ever.
Low TTK definitely doesn't help.
The perk that prevents Exo movement from showing up on Radar is way too strong IMO. No tradeoff to boosting like an idiot.

Joco

Low TTK definitely doesn't help.
The perk that prevents Exo movement from showing up on Radar is way too strong IMO. No tradeoff to boosting like an idiot.

Yeah I just noticed that perk tonight actually. I don't see myself ever having a class that doesn't have that perk equipped now.

Just picked up the game off of all the GAF hype calling it the best COD in years and praising the campaign/graphics. Only previous COD games I played was COD4 and Ghosts.

Don't let me down, internet.

BraXzy

I really can't make up my mind about the movement. One the one hand it's fresh and new and it allows all sorts of things to happen which wouldn't have been previously possible.

Yeah I can't either. It's kinda cool, but all it really beneficially adds is quick verticality. The other boosts just speed up the moment to moment gunplay which already happened pretty damn frequently. And getting any kind of control over an area is impossible. I've still only played for a couple of hours max but it still feels chaotic as hell. I usually click with CoD after a couple of matches. I need more time with it.

jedimike

Man the netcode and lag is really bad in this game. I'm still doing pretty good, as I usually do in these types of games, but it's so weird to see the killcam show something completely different from what occurred on screen.

I'm a level 19 so I don't have a lot of playtime but so far netcode has been solid for me. I was pretty sensitive to host comp in BLOPS but I haven't been able to pick out any problems yet with this game.

I'm also impressed with spawn points... only a handful of bad spawns so far. Compared to Ghosts it's greatly improved.

FYI - I'm on XB1.

Duxxy3

Just a few questions:

Spawns are about the same as they have been for the last few COD's.

The speed definitely makes everything except AR's and a few SMG's pointless.

Isurus

1. COD4
  2. Black Ops
  3. Black Ops II

Call of Duty 2 is actually my favorite campaign, but agree otherwise. I'd put this between BLOP I and II.

Nori Chan

I'd recommend anyone struggling, give Hard Core a go.

Just because it is called 'hard core' doesn't mean it is.

My k/d was around 0.9 in standard TDM. I switched to Hardcore and I've been regularly getting 2/3 k/d per game.

It is much slower paced and less frantic too. You don't die all the time because your location isn't given away constantly. You also aren't forced to use a silencer to remain hidden.

I am using a headset (A40s) and I can actually hear enemies nearby instead of just loads of constant noise (guns, explosions, etc).
Yes oh man. Hardcore is so much better in this game than past games. People actually die when I shoot them

ViciousDS

Banned
I just digitally bought the Xbox one version to test out the ping difference, it will not be done installing tonight(25% in about 15 minutes) but I plan on testing it tomorrow so far playing on ps4 is full bar to red bar, it's all over the place. if I see a major difference on the Xbox one then there is definitely something that was done wrong on the ps4 side of net code or one console is getting dedicated servers and just the random migration host is the fact that the servers may be busy and ps4 is somehow using peer to peer.

all complaints I have seen mostly so far are from PlayStation 4 users about the lag compensation but barely anything about the Xbox one if the Xbox one version is securely better Network wise resolution means nothing to me if lag compensation is completely gone or almost missing from one version over the other

woen

1. COD4
  2. Black Ops
  3. Black Ops II

I would rank them like

1. COD4 / Advanced Warfare
2. Black Ops / MW2
3. MW3 / WaW
4. Black Ops 2

COD4 was awesome back in 2007 but AW really mastered the campaign and is obviously better but since they're the best of their time and AW the best since COD4 they deserve the #1.

Duxxy3

I just digitally bought the Xbox one version to test out the ping difference, it will not be done installing tonight(25% in about 15 minutes) but I plan on testing it tomorrow so far playing on ps4 is full bar to red bar, it's all over the place. if I see a major difference on the Xbox one then there is definitely something that was done wrong on the ps4 side of net code or one console is getting dedicated servers and just the random migration host is the fact that the servers may be busy and ps4 is somehow using peer to peer.

all complaints I have seen mostly so far are from PlayStation 4 users about the lag compensation but barely anything about the Xbox one if the Xbox one version is securely better Network wise resolution means nothing to me if lag compensation is completely gone or almost missing from one version over the other

Xbox one version is not free of network problems. Not remotely.

Single player works and runs great. Whenever I try to launch multiplayer or coop I get the Steam error of "Failed to start game. (unknown error)". I think this is weird considering I meet all of the specs and CoD: Ghost multiplayer never gave me this error. I made sure to have everything updated Direct X and drivers.

What gives man? This is lame.

Windows 8.1 Update 1
i5-3570K @ 4.2ghz
16gb of ram
GTX 680 4gig OC
2TB HDD

Anybody have any tips or suggestions?

Edit: Fixed it by deleting the appcache folder.

Dubz

Finally getting a hang of MP. For those doing poorly stop using any weapons but assault rifles. They are majorly OP in this game. Started using the AK and I'm doing a ton better.

Vidpixel

Are the 'loot' guns just normal guns with like one or two stats bumped up a point? Seems so pointless.

Maybe I just missed something, but I don't understand anything about the loot system in this game. Do you earn loot by ranking up, or is it just from completing challenges? Or is it just completely random? Also, why does some of the loot expire? That's just weird and silly to me, especially since most of it is just cosmetic stuff.

Played for over two hours tonight with my friend and had a BLAST. This game is super fun and I'm having the time of my life playing with the exoskeletons. The movement is GREAT and it adds a whole new dimension to the gameplay using them. Dodging gunfire is their most practical use, and has gotten me out of stick situations way too often.

I 100% believe the difference between successful and unsuccessful players is going to be the ability to adapt to the new layer of gameplay. Those who can use the exo abilities are going to excel, and those who try to play this like old CoD are going to fail. I'd say 90% of it boils down to that. The last 10% is connection strength.

I'm a level 19 so I don't have a lot of playtime but so far netcode has been solid for me. I was pretty sensitive to host comp in BLOPS but I haven't been able to pick out any problems yet with this game.

I'm also impressed with spawn points... only a handful of bad spawns so far. Compared to Ghosts it's greatly improved.

FYI - I'm on XB1.

I'm also on XB1. It's pretty bad for me and it seems that there has been quite a few others that have expressed their disdain with these issues as well.

I don't like the spawn points myself, but it is slightly better than Ghosts in that respect at least. However, there has still been a lot of spawn killing.

Idk. Some are experiencing these issues and then there are those saying it works perfectly fine. I guess it's possible because I didn't have much issues with Gears 2, but many others did.

Duxxy3

Played for over two hours tonight with my friend and had a BLAST. This game is super fun and I'm having the time of my life playing with the exoskeletons. The movement is GREAT and it adds a whole new dimension to the gameplay using them. Dodging gunfire is their most practical use, and has gotten me out of stick situations way too often.

I 100% believe the difference between successful and unsuccessful players is going to be the ability to adapt to the new layer of gameplay. Those who can use the exo abilities are going to excel, and those who try to play this like old CoD are going to fail. I'd say 90% of it boils down to that. The last 10% is connection strength.

The people that don't adjust, or simply don't care to adjust, will stick with classic playlist.

Top Bottom