• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

Hip Hop

So I tried the online MP. It's fun, but I was getting my ass handed to me. I think I'll stick with bots. I really, really wish all the camos and gear were unlocked in private matches.

Hey, don't let that discourage. We all gotta start somewhere.

Also, you can try Combat Readiness Program. It's no objectives with a mixture of bots and real players. Doesn't count against anything really.

What time does double XP start?

It's live apparently from the tweet
https://twitter.com/SHGames/status/530783257311182848

jesu

After being utterly embarrassed playing team modes and coming last every time I'm relieved to find I can play free for all and and only come second or third last every time!
I do like campaign mode though, looking forward to playing more of that.

Trying my best to deal with the lag (not watching killcams helps lol) but man, the mouse jumping problem is killing this for me. Setting my mouse's polling rate to 125 (not that I want to do this anyway) and changing the cfg file to supposedly allow raw input helps, but instead of big jumps every few moments it feels like a constant mild jitter killing any feeling of smoothness.

When they redid the sound "from the ground up"
Did they forget to put in a sound for incoming gunfire?

Even 10 feet away without a silencer and you hear nothing.

Mr E.

After reading impressions here I'm glad I went with the master cheif collection. Sorry for folks who are hating this game.

Hip Hop

Snipers are very over powered. They have a massive amount of aim assist too.

That MORS one specifically. Get a thermal on and you can basically use it for Close quarter combat.

Hubble

General impressions:

The SP story is incredibly weak. Wow disappointing. After all those trailers ampimg up Kevin Spacey I thought a great focus would be on the story. The script is so cheesy, bland, and dry with no acting and many smh moments. Ther is little cutscenes at all and not much talking. The in-game is the same like one mission you are behind an enemy covertly with a teammate in front of you doing the same, and you both snap their necks and leav their bodies when sneaking along in a town square. Like really.

The MP seems decent. Not sure if I like the jet packs as you can't hide no more and hold a position. Everything is so vulnerable now.

Nabs

Trying my best to deal with the lag (not watching killcams helps lol) but man, the mouse jumping problem is killing this for me. Setting my mouse's polling rate to 125 (not that I want to do this anyway) and changing the cfg file to supposedly allow raw input helps, but instead of big jumps every few moments it feels like a constant mild jitter killing any feeling of smoothness.

That sounds a lot like the problem I had in MW3. A problem they never fixed.

Disabling programs like Fraps before playing would help a bit, but it wasn't a perfect fix.

Anyone else still prefer Battlefield 4 as their go to shooter? This game is a pretty decent entry to the CoD series but I'm already back to playing BF4 after a few days >_<.

SMZC

Connection issues aside, I'm finding that I have a problem with this game that I also had with Treyarch's games; namely, that the game is simple, and gets old really fast. There's no variety, neither in the perk selection nor in the arsenal (although the laser weapons are a nice addition). Both this game and Treyarch's have bad weapon variety and balance, making it pretty much pointless to use anything other than ARs and SMGs (and the latter ones suck in this game too), small maps which all focus on running and gunning, and an extremely short selection of perks.

Infinity Ward has always been better at offering variety, even in Ghosts. Or maybe I should say *especially* in Ghosts. One of the things that kept me going back to Ghosts was how much fun it was to try new and different things. That game was packed with customization options that made the game quite enjoyable, you could always go and spice things up in one way or another. It has the most perks in the series yet, with very interesting and fun additions such as Dead Eye, it had the new and very viable marksman rifle category (why the hell wasn't this included in AW?), weapons with integrated attachments (such as the suppressed Honey Badger) effectively freeing up one attachment slot and giving you more freedom. The weapons themselves felt all unique and different, even those within the same weapon category (something that can't be said about Sledhammer's or Treyarch's games), so you were always motivated to play with something else. The snipers featured the best balance that this series has had to date, and by far, eliminating quickscoping while actually making these weapons more viable for actual sniping without being overpowered. LMGs were finely tuned as well, now being completely unusable in AW. To top it all off, they had the three killstreak strike packages, allowing for very different styles of play, a feature that MW3 introduced and that for some reason both Treyarch and Sledgehammer still insist on ignoring.

Treyarch's games and AW feel like they want you to play the game a specific way. It mostly caters to run and gunners. One can't find many other viable styles of play in these games, and this is evidenced by the philosophy behind the design of all the maps, and is only aggravated by the lack of options in perks and weapons (in a year we've gone from the COD with the most perks ever, to the COD with the least perks; I think that says it all). All of IW's games allow for much variety in play style, from rusher to a more conservative style of play. If you don't rush and constantly move around in AW or BO2 you are fucked; if a rusher doesn't kill you, the broken spawns sure as hell will by placing someone pretty much behind you. Ghosts got a lot of complaints for the big size of the maps, but in retrospect I find that this size was precisely something that eased the irredeemable spawns of this franchise.

Oh, and with AW being the first COD to have a 3 year development cycle, why the hell do we have *less* weapons than in previous games? And we still have tons of recycled weapons and reloading animations. Where the hell did that extra year go, exactly? Am I supposed to believe that it took a year to implement exo-movement?

I'm pretty much selling AW in a few days. I just don't have fun with it. Even if the game breaking connection problems are solved and we get dedicated servers (hint: we won't), I find that in a few hours of play I've already experienced everything that there is to experience in this multiplayer. I don't feel compelled to come back to try a new weapon, perk or killstreak, or to learn the maps a bit better. They're so simple and there's so little of everything that I've already gotten tired of it all in a few days. So I suppose it's Battlefield 4 and Ghosts plus a little bit of Destiny for me as far as multiplayer goes until something better comes along. Hopefully Evolve.

After reading impressions here I'm glad I went with the master cheif collection. Sorry for folks who are hating this game.

Halo is a no brainer! If I had an Xbox, I'd go with that easily.

Anyone else still prefer Battlefield 4 as their go to shooter? This game is a pretty decent entry to the CoD series but I'm already back to playing BF4 after a few days >_<.

I sold BF4 after the frustration of netcoding + changes to TTK... I was pretty annoyed that you died as fast as you do in COD games.

Significant aim assist + low TTK + netcoding = super frustrating.

I have been very curious about the fall patch though

the jungle mapis bullshit because it's not only sniper heaven but because the map is slanted, so whoever controls one end of map in TDM usually wins, as trying to get to your opponents is incredibly difficult.

EL CUCO

Lol Nope. I like the new verticality/mobility too much to go back to the same ol vehicle stuff.

Hip Hop

Nah, I can't do big open maps anymore.

I enjoy CQC more when it comes to online shooters.

EL CUCO

EuropeOG, You cloaked up where people always pass through. That's why he automatically looked over there.

That said, the Cloak shouldn't make you completely invisible. Imagine how OP that would be. It's situational. When there's a little skirmish going on it allows me to flank around and kill a few dudes. Or I can cap the Hardpoint and give me about half a second or more to react first.

BokehKing

Banned
I've came to the conclusion I just suck at this game, I'm hoping it's just because I'm not use to being shot at from every which way and Im not getting too old to play

Halo is a no brainer! If I had an Xbox, I'd go with that easily.

I sold BF4 after the frustration of netcoding + changes to TTK... I was pretty annoyed that you died as fast as you do in COD games.

Significant aim assist + low TTK + netcoding = super frustrating.

I have been very curious about the fall patch though

Netcode in BF4 before they fixed it in the September patch is no where near as bad as the netcode in AW. Plus TTK in BF is perfect. Not to fast and not to slow. In AW the moment you're getting shot at all hope is lost, you drop in 2 seconds. To each his own.

Cavalier

Banned
I really haven't found any of the Exo abilities to be all that useful. I'd rather spend those points on something else.

Speed exo reminds me of Titanfall. I mainly use it to chase someone down or to run my ass off with a flag or a ball. I have still yet to learn to use other exo abilities. They all have their purpose it seems.

Gorillaz

Treyarch's games and AW feel like they want you to play the game a specific way.

I can see how this can piss people off since its pushing a more rush style of play. Treyarch and there "you can play only in this sandbox with these tools at this pace because we know whats bedt for you" soured me alot to the black ops series. Personally I've been wanting an adrenaline cod again after all these years so im happy but I understand.

-TK-

The game is almost broken right now. So many glitches, unbelievable bad spawns and lag problems. Do they even test these things anymore? And how to fuck I even compare my stats or scores with my friends? There are leaderboards, but you can only choose "show all".

Pastry

Banned
Single player was a lot of fun but I think I'm done with MP. The latency issues combined withy the twitch gameplay make it incredibly frustrating.

Alienous

I'm really ... eh, I'm really 'blech' regarding the game right now.

I haven't felt any visible lag, but I've had bullets simply not register and I've watched Killcam's where it appears that I have an extremely delayed reaction when I'm sure I shot back or dashed away. It's so chaotic. I've spawned behind enemies, and you get the impression that other enemies are spawning behind you.

I don't know what's up with this. It's sort-of fun, but there are some things that are wrecking the experience.

How to spot someone who hasn't played Battlefield in the last 2 months.
after 4+ months of not working(couldn't complete a single match without it acting up) I gave up and traded it in.

After that fiasco im not even sure im buying Battlefront which has been one of my most wanted games for 9 years.

Top Bottom