• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

Connection issues aside, I'm finding that I have a problem with this game that I also had with Treyarch's games; namely, that the game is simple, and gets old really fast. There's no variety, neither in the perk selection nor in the arsenal (although the laser weapons are a nice addition). Both this game and Treyarch's have bad weapon variety and balance, making it pretty much pointless to use anything other than ARs and SMGs (and the latter ones suck in this game too), small maps which all focus on running and gunning, and an extremely short selection of perks.

Infinity Ward has always been better at offering variety, even in Ghosts. Or maybe I should say *especially* in Ghosts. One of the things that kept me going back to Ghosts was how much fun it was to try new and different things. That game was packed with customization options that made the game quite enjoyable, you could always go and spice things up in one way or another. It has the most perks in the series yet, with very interesting and fun additions such as Dead Eye, it had the new and very viable marksman rifle category (why the hell wasn't this included in AW?), weapons with integrated attachments (such as the suppressed Honey Badger) effectively freeing up one attachment slot and giving you more freedom. The weapons themselves felt all unique and different, even those within the same weapon category (something that can't be said about Sledhammer's or Treyarch's games), so you were always motivated to play with something else. The snipers featured the best balance that this series has had to date, and by far, eliminating quickscoping while actually making these weapons more viable for actual sniping without being overpowered. LMGs were finely tuned as well, now being completely unusable in AW. To top it all off, they had the three killstreak strike packages, allowing for very different styles of play, a feature that MW3 introduced and that for some reason both Treyarch and Sledgehammer still insist on ignoring.

Treyarch's games and AW feel like they want you to play the game a specific way. It mostly caters to run and gunners. One can't find many other viable styles of play in these games, and this is evidenced by the philosophy behind the design of all the maps, and is only aggravated by the lack of options in perks and weapons (in a year we've gone from the COD with the most perks ever, to the COD with the least perks; I think that says it all). All of IW's games allow for much variety in play style, from rusher to a more conservative style of play. If you don't rush and constantly move around in AW or BO2 you are fucked; if a rusher doesn't kill you, the broken spawns sure as hell will by placing someone pretty much behind you. Ghosts got a lot of complaints for the big size of the maps, but in retrospect I find that this size was precisely something that eased the irredeemable spawns of this franchise.

Oh, and with AW being the first COD to have a 3 year development cycle, why the hell do we have *less* weapons than in previous games? And we still have tons of recycled weapons and reloading animations. Where the hell did that extra year go, exactly? Am I supposed to believe that it took a year to implement exo-movement?

I'm pretty much selling AW in a few days. I just don't have fun with it. Even if the game breaking connection problems are solved and we get dedicated servers (hint: we won't), I find that in a few hours of play I've already experienced everything that there is to experience in this multiplayer. I don't feel compelled to come back to try a new weapon, perk or killstreak, or to learn the maps a bit better. They're so simple and there's so little of everything that I've already gotten tired of it all in a few days. So I suppose it's Battlefield 4 and Ghosts plus a little bit of Destiny for me as far as multiplayer goes until something better comes along. Hopefully Evolve.
Good feedback. Agree with all you said a, especially in regards to being forced to play their way and not yours. I enjoyed Ghosts, despite its many problems. The only hope I have left now is for an HD remake of MW and MW2. Really hope AW sells way below expectations, it's an awful game.

Just checked the amazon charts and the game is already trending downwards. It seems the Call of Duty franchise lost a lot of followers and if you ask me: rightly so.

I keep finding moments where I have auto-mantle on (it's on by default) and it'll fail, and then it'll keep trying and looping and I get stuck, and then killed because CALL OF DUTY.

There was also a weird moment where I tried to jump over a team mate that was prone and it wouldn't let me jump over him, and I got stuck and for some reason it tried to auto mantle over him (there's an easy joke here), and we both got killed.

Also I run into a lot of quick scopers on PS4. Did they actually make it easier because I usually use SMG's cause mobility, yet it feels like I'm handicapping myself by using them.

Phear

I'm out, too. At least for MP. Getting that Plat and moving on. After a first day of enthusiasm, the lack of soundeffects especially and very monotone gameplay (yay, pick 13... out of like... 14) are killing this game for me. Add netcode and you've got the worst CoD experience. So sad, i wanted to like this. Happy for everyone who does, maybe i'll come back, come DLC 2 or 3.

Hip Hop

I keep finding moments where I have auto-mantle on (it's on by default) and it'll fail, and then it'll keep trying and looping and I get stuck, and then killed because CALL OF DUTY.

There was also a weird moment where I tried to jump over a team mate that was prone and it wouldn't let me jump over him, and I got stuck and for some reason it tried to auto mantle over him (there's an easy joke here), and we both got killed.

Also I run into a lot of quick scopers on PS4. Did they actually make it easier because I usually use SMG's cause mobility, yet it feels like I'm handicapping myself by using them.

Yeah, quickscoping is insane in this game. Try it for yourself (bots match or something). It probably has the most aim assist on them that I've seen from the series.

Was constantly on the top 2 myself on Free For All with it, and I'm not a sniper by any means. Insta kills.

Also, the best way to go would be an Assault Rifle and a Stock. The stock makes it just like an SMG with the mobility added but you also get the accuracy of an AR.

BokehKing

Banned
isn't that because everyone got the game on day zero and day one?
Shhhhh they want to see the game fail, let them have their moment of glory, ghosts sold good and that game was horrendous.

As far as weapon variety, I got killed by every weapon under the sun, if you want to camp, this game is not for you, to me that is a great thing, who pays $60 to sit in one spot the whole match

mikeGFG

Banned
After coming from Titanfall [PC] I just cannot enjoy Advanced Warfare

The exo-movement is stiff, the netcode is atrocious, and the TTK, as everyone has pointed out, is frustrating. Not to mention that 80% of my deaths are getting shot in the back, and all my kills are shooting someone in the back. There is almost nothing enjoyable about playing this game.

LtOrange

It stinks to see so many of you guys having bad experiences. So far I haven't noticed any crazy lag and am really enjoying this iteration.

M.W.

I've learned to camp a bit more than I normally do. I think tonight I'll stream Netflix, download a huge file and switch my connection to wifi while playing. That should help with the lag comp.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
the studio director is telling people on twitter to play singleplayer that tells you how persistent the issues are. im enjoying it but ill enjoy it more when the fixes come

IISANDERII

Connection issues aside, I'm finding that I have a problem with this game that I also had with Treyarch's games; namely, that the game is simple, and gets old really fast. There's no variety, neither in the perk selection nor in the arsenal (although the laser weapons are a nice addition). Both this game and Treyarch's have bad weapon variety and balance, making it pretty much pointless to use anything other than ARs and SMGs (and the latter ones suck in this game too), small maps which all focus on running and gunning, and an extremely short selection of perks.

Infinity Ward has always been better at offering variety, even in Ghosts. Or maybe I should say *especially* in Ghosts. One of the things that kept me going back to Ghosts was how much fun it was to try new and different things. That game was packed with customization options that made the game quite enjoyable, you could always go and spice things up in one way or another. It has the most perks in the series yet, with very interesting and fun additions such as Dead Eye, it had the new and very viable marksman rifle category (why the hell wasn't this included in AW?), weapons with integrated attachments (such as the suppressed Honey Badger) effectively freeing up one attachment slot and giving you more freedom. The weapons themselves felt all unique and different, even those within the same weapon category (something that can't be said about Sledhammer's or Treyarch's games), so you were always motivated to play with something else. The snipers featured the best balance that this series has had to date, and by far, eliminating quickscoping while actually making these weapons more viable for actual sniping without being overpowered. LMGs were finely tuned as well, now being completely unusable in AW. To top it all off, they had the three killstreak strike packages, allowing for very different styles of play, a feature that MW3 introduced and that for some reason both Treyarch and Sledgehammer still insist on ignoring.

Treyarch's games and AW feel like they want you to play the game a specific way. It mostly caters to run and gunners. One can't find many other viable styles of play in these games, and this is evidenced by the philosophy behind the design of all the maps, and is only aggravated by the lack of options in perks and weapons (in a year we've gone from the COD with the most perks ever, to the COD with the least perks; I think that says it all). All of IW's games allow for much variety in play style, from rusher to a more conservative style of play. If you don't rush and constantly move around in AW or BO2 you are fucked; if a rusher doesn't kill you, the broken spawns sure as hell will by placing someone pretty much behind you. Ghosts got a lot of complaints for the big size of the maps, but in retrospect I find that this size was precisely something that eased the irredeemable spawns of this franchise.

Oh, and with AW being the first COD to have a 3 year development cycle, why the hell do we have *less* weapons than in previous games? And we still have tons of recycled weapons and reloading animations. Where the hell did that extra year go, exactly? Am I supposed to believe that it took a year to implement exo-movement?

I'm pretty much selling AW in a few days. I just don't have fun with it. Even if the game breaking connection problems are solved and we get dedicated servers (hint: we won't), I find that in a few hours of play I've already experienced everything that there is to experience in this multiplayer. I don't feel compelled to come back to try a new weapon, perk or killstreak, or to learn the maps a bit better. They're so simple and there's so little of everything that I've already gotten tired of it all in a few days. So I suppose it's Battlefield 4 and Ghosts plus a little bit of Destiny for me as far as multiplayer goes until something better comes along. Hopefully Evolve.
Not only fewer weapons but fewer maps too. But Nice post. I thought Ghost would've been very good but for the maps.

I agree with the variety, i had become very fatigued with AR's so i liked the Marksman options and then i absolutely loved the sniper with ACOG, even though my KD ratio fell dramatically. When the snipers were further nerfed, i quit the game.

Jeff-DSA

Great. I just picked it up today on my lunch break. I figured that the lag comp had to be way less of an issue by now. Guess I'll do single player first.

Pop

the studio director is telling people on twitter to play singleplayer that tells you how persistent the issues are. im enjoying it but ill enjoy it more when the fixes come

That's a terrible excuse by him. Only problems I have with mp are pretty simple.

Die from behind way too much and the TTK is way too quick.

I've learned to camp a bit more than I normally do. I think tonight I'll stream Netflix, download a huge file and switch my connection to wifi while playing. That should help with the lag comp.

As ridiculous as this sounds, it works. I tethered my mobile hotspot in a position which gave me 1 bar, and sure enough, the lag was awful but I was winning 1v1's unfairly. Each encounter resulted in a temporary freeze, in which once the freeze ended I somehow won the 1v1. It's infuriating to have to go through such lengths to be able to play this game. If I used my normal connection, I lose every 1v1. It's like you're being punished for having a good connection.

Killer

Banned
That's a terrible excuse by him. Only problems I have with mp are pretty simple.

Die from behind way too much and the TTK is way too quick.

The game could be a lot of fun but TTK and netcode are really terrible. TTK should be at least like Titanfall with all exo movement.

Halo:MCC save me!
Why the fuck did i buy this?
I do it every time. The hype gets to me.. but again, just like every other COD before it -- it's the same bullshit. Camping, lag, host advantage, get shot in the back simulator.

Fuck my life.

COD Cycle

IMACOMPUTA

I do it every time. The hype gets to me.. but again, just like every other COD before it -- it's the same bullshit. Camping, lag, host advantage, get shot in the back simulator.

Fuck my life.

God I am having trouble with this game.

Someone give me a goat loadout.

This is working for me but it won't be to everyone's liking with no Exo ability, secondary weapon, Frag's and only 1 Score-streak. For me, this game is all about the weapon/attachment and perks.

Akimbo SAC3's w/ Laser & Suppressor;

Lightweight + Lowprofile;

Gung Ho + Peripherals;

Blast Surpressor + Scavenger; &

UAV w/ Threat Detection.

Combined with reducing Exo Boosting significantly, avoiding jumping when not needed and sliding more this game has become a lot more rewarding and a heap more fun.

kuYuri

Posted? The most relevant excerpts:

https://community.sledgehammergames...d-warfare-launch-week-and-updates-coming-soon

There’s an update in the works that includes a number of polish items, fixes, and community requested changes. Below is a list of some of the improvements you can expect to reflect in-game soon.

Prestige reset issues, including emblems and challenges.
Adjustment to the in-game chat names notifications placement.
Fix for weapon reloads counting as speed reloads in certain circumstances.
Connectivity optimizations.
Fix for stats accumulating towards leaderboards after prestiging.
Adjustment to challenges to unlock Camos for weapons.
Fix for round-based game modes, affecting Win/Loss ratios.
Implemented ability to unlock eSports Rule options in Private Match.

Also, we've been asked several times about the status of dedicated server support. Activision shared this statement earlier this week:

Advanced Warfare employs game servers hosted at data centers globally on all platforms and listen servers as part of our proprietary matchmaking system. Our goal is to ensure the best possible connection and greatest gameplay experience regardless of location and time of day.

EDIT: The server situation is a hybrid system like Ghosts according to this statement.

Fuck my life.

dude, relax. play smarter and don't just run around like a chicken with its head cut off. this game is way better than Ghosts and MW3. i even like it more than BLOPS 2. It sort of reminds me of BLOPS 1 and it's nice that you can survive an encounter in this game.

Krilekk

Banned
Really enjoying the campaign so far, I play two levels a day, so it will take about a week until I'm done. Unless the missions get much shorter lateron I will end up with about ten hours for the campaign, might even try Veteran for the first time since MW2 in a CoD. Great pacing so far and interesting sets. But they need to get rid of the "return to mission area" prompts. Sometimes I can't even go one meter in the opposite direction of the mission marker.

kuYuri

Reads the last couple of pages...

Shortest honeymoon phase ever

Lol, seriously. Time to adjust the chart.

egl7Z.jpg

Red Comet

So 90% of the time I reload the game decided to speed reload me regardless of whether or not I double tapped reload. Really annoying and it makes Scavenger pretty much mandatory. Hope they fix this soon.

Alienous

WTF? It sounds like they have no idea how their online component is working and have to fall back on Activision. There's no fucking way this game is running on dedicated server, no fucking way at all.

If I remember correctly Activision outsources the Call of Duty netcode to Demonware, a small developer they acquired that works specifically on networking. So it wouldn't be surprising if Sledgehammer Games doesn't know much about the intricacies of the networking system.

Is it just me or is that jungle map one of the worst COD maps ever? I can't think of anything about it that I like.

Not only does whoever control the top side dominant but when you manage to kill someone and start moving up it spawns them right behind you with clear shots at you trying to get topside.

Delt31

Am I the ONLY one NOT having ANY lag issues? No issues thus far - NOT one. My connection is very fast FYI.

As for maps, I actually love the maps in the game EVEN the jungle one. The jungle one is fun b/c it funnels everyone to the middle yet smarter people go sides.

I read through all of these negative comments and I just shake my head. This game IMO provides the best ability to live assuming you're not playing like a moron. YES there are times you will be shot in the back but that is COD. Otherwise it's pretty fair.

Love the guns, love the color presentation, love the levels that change. My biggest complain is the NERF to kill streaks. They cost way too much and hardline is locked at 47? Luckily I can unlock hardline forever once I prestige so that solves that.

Remember guys - don't fall for the GAF hype. These are the best forums around BY FAR but the hype is through the roof, specifically for games that don't deserve it. Therefore, take my advice - if you don't like COD, DON"T BUY THIS GAME. It's not really THAT diff.

SMZC

Good feedback. Agree with all you said a, especially in regards to being forced to play their way and not yours. I enjoyed Ghosts, despite its many problems. The only hope I have left now is for an HD remake of MW and MW2. Really hope AW sells way below expectations, it's an awful game.

I'd love that too, it's one of the few ways in which I see myself coming back to COD. I'm curious about what IW does with Ghosts 2, though. Sledgehammer had the luxury of making AW in 3 years while working solely on current-gen, just as Treyarch will next year. So even if AW were better than Ghosts (and IMO it isn't) it really wouldn't be a fair comparison.

Not only fewer weapons but fewer maps too. But Nice post. I thought Ghost would've been very good but for the maps.

I agree with the variety, i had become very fatigued with AR's so i liked the Marksman options and then i absolutely loved the sniper with ACOG, even though my KD ratio fell dramatically. When the snipers were further nerfed, i quit the game.

True that, about the maps, it seems this was yet another aspect were Sledgehammer followed in on Treyarch's footsteps, who also release their games with less maps than IW. I'm not a great fan of Ghosts' maps either, but I'm conflicted on the issue because smaller maps means even more horrible spawns, as BO2 and now AW have shown us. Instant spawning has always been a series' trademark, but at this point I'm starting to think that putting in a spawn delay like in Battlefield is one of the few ways in which COD can aspire to have less than horrible spawns (or rather, flow). I doubt Activision will ever do that, though.

Noobcraft

The Atlas 22mm or whatever is a freaking cannon lol. My first game with it I went 17-6 because it's a 1 hit kill from the ankles up.

Vol5

You have summed it up almost perfectly. I've enjoyed AW for about 2 days but tonight I'm honestly bored of it. In fact I've downloaded all my DLC for Ghosts and will be jumping back in for shits and giggles.

The worst thing about AW is the maps. They are absolutely atrocious.

Duxxy3

Just tried Classic TDM, man its running much better than anything else.

The only problem I have had with classic is on instinct. Every mode is king of the hill (literally) on that map. The team that starts on top has an enormous advantage. That map should probably be removed from classic altogether.

Top Bottom