• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

Alienous

I don't want to spoil anything, but there is a MIND BLOWING plot twist in this game:
Kevin Spacey is actually the bad guy!

Came out of nowhere,
especially considering the roles he usually plays.

In fairness though there's an actual minor twist
with how the game handles a character, without giving into the big-bad's right hand man cliché, that totally caught me off guard.

GenericUser

Came out of nowhere,
especially considering the roles he usually plays.

In fairness though there's an actual minor twist
with how the game handles a character, without giving into the big-bad's right hand man cliché, that totally caught me off guard.

It's cod, I can safely click the spoilers without having played the game. Thats cool. Won't finish the SP anyway. Also:
dem plot twist, EPIC!

I seriously still cannot believe how people are able to squeze out enjoyment from the single player. It's the definition of boring if you'd ask me.

Cant wait to collect my pre-order! The reviews echoes what seems to be a resounding comeback from the grave after what ghosts did to the series.

I hope i can upgrade my pre-order to the atlas pro edition. Sledgehammer deserves my money.

Alienous

It's cod, I can safely click the spoilers without having played the game. Thats cool. Won't finish the SP anyway. Also:
dem plot twist, EPIC!

I seriously still cannot believe how people are able to squeze out enjoyment from the single player. It's the definition of boring if you'd ask me.

Perhaps if you hadn't played any of the Call of Duty games from MW2 onwards. Otherwise
all the familiar setpieces show up. I will give them credit though, they introduce a grappling hook for a few levels that varies the gameplay to the point where it's a lot more like a Batman game than you'd expect.

hamchan

Finished the campaign on Veteran difficulty and highly enjoyed it. Around 6 hours I'd say. I think Kevin Spacey does a great job in this game and it's amazing to contrast the performance he put in this game against Peter Dinklage's lousy performance in Destiny. Kevin actually put effort into acting in this game, he's great.

Other than that it was a fairly standard CoD campaign. The upgrade system is a decent system but isn't really deep. The set pieces are fantastic like most CoD campaigns. The vehicles and mech suits were fun to use. It's linear and hits all the same beats every other CoD campaign hits. So a standard campaign that gets elevated by the graphics boost this game received over Ghosts and Kevin Spacey; Kevin Spacey makes everything better.

Also for anyone asking about the Veteran difficulty, this is probably on the same level as Ghosts, i.e very easy compared to the rest of the series. There are no horribly frustrating parts that previous CoD games have had. If you've ever finished a CoD on Veteran before this will be a walk in the park for you.

Instead of zombies sledgehammer, please make robots/terminator survival. Leave zombies to treyarch.

And please patch that microphone logo thats taking up all the screen and place them on the top right corner like they are meant to be.

Lacix

Wesley Yin-Poole ‏@wyp100 11m
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Xbox One resolution is 1360x1080
http://bit.ly/1xRs1c5

Is it better than using 1600x900 ?
The pixel count is approximately the same.
GT5/6 uses also this kind of not square pixel type resolution. Somewhere I read that we are more sensitive to the vertical resolution maybe because there are way more horizontal movements in games/movies.

Striek

Can someone explain the armory to me...you get random items..and they expire after a time? Whats the point? Are the weapons permanent?

Pimpbaa

Why doesn't the game tell how to mute people? Figured it out through random button mashing on the scoreboard (square button on ps4). People with shitty mics that pick up every goddamn sound in their house plus mic chat notifications being in the middle of the damn screen (why!?) was ruining my enjoyment of the game. Anyway rant over, game (multiplayer) seems good. I would say Sledgehammer Games did a good job, but Wikipedia says Raven Software did the multiplayer (was it just them?).

Can someone explain the armory to me...you get random items..and they expire after a time? Whats the point? Are the weapons permanent?

Yes they are permanent. You get variations of weapons (different stats) and gear. You can also get score streaks to use on the next game you play in care package form.

Korten

Banned
Yes they are permanent. You get variations of weapons (different stats) and gear. You can also get score streaks to use on the next game you play in care package form.

Is there no gear that's permanent? Like cosmetic items?

Edit: Feel free to ignore this, but I thought of a cool idea (at least I think it's cool) of a direction that possibly Treyarch or Infinity Ward could take:

Set in the year 2122, in the aftermath of the Great War which led to the Earth burning and the Human population
being cut in half, scientist from around the world sought for a way to repair the planet. In their attempt they unleash a chemical
that begins to make the plant life grow- however it goes beyond what they intended and quickly nature began to overturn
everything across the planet. To counteract their mistake they developed a technology which could slow the plant development
and pave way for human development.

Following the war, a group was formed, Terra Nova. Feeling as though if the current world leaders are left in power that the
world will burn again, they begin a new fight in hopes of ending a far greater one. The survival of the human race- begins here.

-Fight in the last remaining settlements of Humanity or in the wilderness where even the plant life is against you.
-Traverse the wild landscapes with powerful new exo-skeletons.
-Use weaponry from the remains of old governments, old and new guns.

Not really scientifically sound, but I would totally play that. :)

I love thinking of hypothetical stories for games. :D

Is there no gear that's permanent? Like cosmetic items?

It's permanent as long as you keep it in your armory. You only have a certain number of slots though. You can redeem for xp if you don't want it.

Edit: okay, it looks like some of the stuff expires? Hell I don't know, lol. It looks like the supply drop stuff is permanent.

CRS

After a few hours, I'm really liking the game. A lot. Being able to upgrade Scorestreaks, the 13 point class system, the mobility, and last but not least BEING ABLE TO ENTER A GUN RANGE TO TEST YOUR GUN DURING INTERMISSION. Holy shit, it's so awesome.

Hopefully Hardcore modes pick up soon after a few days since I'm not a fan of non-hardcore and hopefully Sledgehammer adds HC CTF since that was all I played in Black Ops II (and still do). It's such a great way to memorize maps and train my ears on the game's sounds. It sucks from being able to pick up the slightest noise in Black Ops II to have people sneak up on you and knock you out.

The scorestreaks themselves are okay. Not a fan of the Vulcan at all, the chopper is neat and being able to upgrade it so you can get a wingman is awesome, missile strike is whatever, turret is only really useful if you upgrade it to a sentry, and the UAV upgrades are a nice touch.

Have only used the assault rifles so far and I've mainly been sticking to the first one. The variable scope is nice, the auto-zoom scope is pretty useless, and I haven't bothered with the rest. I hope the third pistol is better than the first. I was always a fan of the B2R3(?) in Black Ops 2, being able to run around, double tap to kill, reload, and move around to the next one. Oh, and that laser is fucking stupid in this game. What the fuck.

So far: level 28ish with a KDA of about 1.7. Not too bad.

Ibuki

Banned
Is every one else having to wait forever for the game to download? Wondering if I should restart it or if it's supposed to be downloading this slow.

I've been playing all day, I got a sweet as helmet that made me look like Death Gun from Sword Art Online II then it expired and I can't use it anymore. :(

(I only play multi)

Nokterian

Ehm where do i find all my pre order stuff? Do i need to level up first to even unlock it? Can't find my gold exo skin camo for example.

Tokubetsu

Yo this no ammo shit is fuckery. I get like 4 kills with an SMG and that's it for ammo. My biggest complaint right now.

hamchan

ISTTUoH.jpg

Third game on this CoD. The three maps I've played so far have been pretty good. Went 1.9 and 1.4 KDR in the first two, and then played this. I feel like I can predict where the enemies are coming in these maps, enabling more consistent scores based on skill and map knowledge. Of course I still have a bunch of other maps to play before I can judge it all but so far, pretty positive early impressions.

Yo this no ammo shit is fuckery. I get like 4 kills with an SMG and that's it for ammo. My biggest complaint right now.

Someone said earlier this could be a bug.

Basically, every time you re load, you lose all the Ammo in your clip (Xbox One).

Apparently, according to the post I read earlier, on 360 it retains the Ammo.

Also doesn't help with the lack of 'scavenger' perk.

Juicylamp

Banned
Caved in last night and bought this for PC, do you PC guys know if the game has dedicated servers? Are they ISP hosted? Can't wait till after work!

RedAssedApe

Banned

Basically, every time you re load, you lose all the Ammo in your clip (Xbox One).

are they maybe using the 3d printer gun? i thought that was one of the quirks of it.

also...just pick up the guns off the dudes you kill. that's like cod 101 :p

HiiiLife

If you double tap square it completely empties out your current clip for a faster reload.

hamchan

Huh, I didn't realize finding intel unlocks recordings of Kevin Spacey just doing a monologue. I guess I should find all of them then.

people focus on k/d way way way to much..have some fun instead ?

Seeing K/D slowly go up as you improve is fun for a lot of people.

mxgt

Banned
As someone who buys every year and despised Ghosts.. first impressions are the game is a lot of fun online. Played a few games and done well so far. Ranking seems really quick, got 1 -> 8 in my first game.

Septic360

Banned
The same old problems rear their head again. Broken spawns, getting killed a milisecond after spawning, getting shot round corners yadda yadda.

The maps are hardly memorable, the guns are very bleh...its just the same game plus some additional freedom in movement courtesy of the Exo suit.

I feel like a mug for getting excited for this and expecting a genuinely fresh take on the gameplay. It looks like I'll be waiting for a long time to get another COD game that is a worthy successor to COD: MW2.

zonezeus

For anyone having problems with "DirectX error. Check the readme file" or possibly any other startup/DirectX bug - I managed to get around it by disabling all startup processes in msconfig, but I still have no idea what might have caused the error in the first place. I hope they'll patch it soon so I can return everything to normal and still play it.

Anyway, the MP is BALLER! Using boosters properly is definitely a key skill here, you can clearly see the difference between people utilizing new movement options and those who are just running around like in previous CODs. You can almost imagine their WTF faces when they think they have you, but you suddenly boost from mid-air just to land on their flank split second later, gunning them down before they even manage to turn your way. Feels like faster paced, "tighter" Titanfall with slightly downgraded scale.

Minuses so far: game is sometimes laggy as shit and have weird performance drops from time to time on my mid-range but still decent rig (i5-4670k, GTX770 4GB, 8GB ram) and lag compensation seems to be still there, although not in the absurd amounts like in BLOPS2.

EDIT: Seems like the only thing I managed to fix is mutliplayer, SP is still fucked with that DirectX error.

Top Bottom