• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

Rainy Dog

Any Search and Destroy impressions?

After the dust has settled and I've learned the maps and unlocked everything I need, I always find it the only mode worth taking seriously and sinking quality time into. Hoping the the exo abilities don't completely change it into a rush and jump only fest.

Matush

After playing 3 missions I am impressed as hell. After lackluster Ghosts I was burned out on CoD but damn, SG did an amazing job (so far). I literally started clapping after realizing that
Camp David mission was only a simulation
. (mission 2 spoiler) Bravo.

samman6

So I have played about 10 multi matches so far, no SP. The Game is a total blast so far. The Double Jump and dash really open up the gameplay, and the ones dominating so far have been able to get to and hold high ground better. The maps seem ok, our team got caught in a spawn camping fest on the first match. I think the map was called Retreat. I don't think the spawn locations are an issue, but with the extra maneuverability, its easier to get guns pointed to the predicated spawn points faster, basically the good players are able to follow your spawns around the map much faster then in previous cods. The maps are also very open and fragmented with most buildings and cover areas having 3 to 4 or more entry points, I think this has been the same in the last few CODS. With the exo movements showing on radar, its easier to track enemies in this game. I have been in some pretty fun one on one battles where we are both jumping and dodging around cover, those have been the best so far. The first AR you get its pretty beastly, most people I have seen seem to be using the AK though.

The customization is cool, but I wish there were some more base models. Only 11 male and 5 ? female models is a little low, no facial customization options either, seems like the faces are lifted off the SP. The gear customization is really neat, although early on I have unlocked about 5 pairs of black boots that all look the same and 5 pairs of gloves that look the same too, hoping there is some crazy shit to unlock later. Pro-Tip here: The gold exo you get for per-ordering is a death trap though, makes you stand out in MP easier. I haven't encountered any expiring loot yet, but the weapon supply drops are pretty cool.

I honestly preferred the squad points system from Ghosts better then the lvl based unlocks however waiting for ever to unlock the crossbow sucks, not sure if I'm gonna prestige in this one at all. The emblem maker is pretty cool, and it displays the emblem on some guns and on key areas of your exo suit as well.

Zero2kz

This is the first Call of Duty game I have bought since I think Bloops 1 I think. And I am enjoying it.

Learn pretty quickly that just jumping and boosting all over the place gets you killed really quickly. I started playing the game as if that doesn't exist, and only really use it in certain scenarios. Now I am getting around 30/5 KDR most games.

I only played TDM so far, but I am enjoying it.

After playing 3 missions I am impressed as hell. After lackluster Ghosts I was burned out on CoD but damn, SG did an amazing job (so far). I literally started clapping after realizing that
Camp David mission was only a simulation
. (mission 2 spoiler) Bravo.

i knew something was funky when Gideon said "now that everyone knows what to do" at the beginning.

Phear

The first AR you get its pretty beastly, most people I have seen seem to be using the AK though.

From what i've seen (not played by myself yet) BAL and IMR seem to be the go to weapons.

How's post-release balancing with CoD? Will there be any or is everything set to stone?

aravuus

Wow, having a hard time finding a ground war match. Not too many players, I guess?

Went 9-16 in my first match too lol, and I'm usually not too shabby in FPS games.

Tubie

I'm actually tempted by this. The exo suits make the game look very interesting to me, specially since they discourage camping.

I love and still play BF4, so my biggest fear with this game is that I'll get bored of the MP in less than a month and go back to BF4 (this happened with Destiny). I've never played any CoD multiplayer ever... so when people say it's like Black Ops or like Ghosts it really doesn't mean anything to me. That makes it even harder for me to get a good sense of how good the modes/maps are.

Ugh, maybe this will be a i'vemadeahugemistake.gif moment for me, or maybe I will love the game! Can't buy till later today anyway, guess I'll be thinking about this all day.

BKSmash

When I start laying a COD game, I always start out with the Story Mode and never Multiplayer. I find it very usefull to learn and see what's new. I don't often like CODs SP, but this one is just WOW! I'm two missions in, and the story is just great (!!). I'm getting really into it, and Kevin Spaceys character is just fabulous.

BEST COD IN YEARS!

Zero2kz

I'm actually tempted by this. The exo suits make the game look very interesting to me, specially since they discourage camping.

Depending mostly on the map, but I can still camp pretty easily. There are some prime indoor location with minimal entrances, but often have heavy foot traffic. So I can stay inside most of the game and get 30+ kills in a TDM.

Jumping out in the open and going ham on the boosting seems to get you killed really quickly, but maybe that is just from map unfamiliarity. Once I learn the maps maybe I will learn "safer" ways to navigate.

LeonSPBR

First half of the gif looks real. Second where eyes are shown not so much (dead eyes).

Still very, very impressive.

Is the campaign any good?

Yes, campaign is awesome, loved every minute, 15 stages, it took me 7h to finish the campaign.

You can level up your exo suits for better handling, reloads, more health, etc...

And the story is pretty good IMO.

One of the best thing in the campaing is the HUD. Everthing show on the weapon that you're holding (bullets, grenades, exo power) giving a much clean screen.

Played a few hours last night, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed so far. There's a lot to get used to, but I think it's safe to say Sledgehammer knows this series well. I look forward to what they're able to do in 3 years.

MisterM

Yiss, my copy just got plopped on my desk. Not to play the waiting game...until it's time to go home, feed the family, put the kids to bed, etc, etc....but then! It'll be CoD time!

For about an hour until I'm tired and want to go to bed, don't get old people!

Wow, Spacey looks unbelievable in the cutscenes. I know they are pre-rendered, but still seriously impressive. From the GB Quick Look.

i7cIjzHoPvmLo.gif

Dat Avatar 2 tech

taoofjord

Coming from someone who didn't like Ghosts and generally dislikes CoD's feel and tone, this game gives a really solid first impression. So far so good, really.

Also, the sci-fi aspects of the game from aesthetics to the concepts of the tech are surprisingly well done. I'd have never thought I'd be impressed by this sort of thing in a CoD.

ImboSlice

Damn, when those
bikes
showed up, I was all like: LET ME! LET ME!

And then towards the end of the mission, it was no
Destiny bike sweetness
, but still fun.

Really happy about the campaign being 60 fps.

A few hours into the campaign and it feels and plays absolutely great. All the usual criticisms still apply (follow the leader, linear shooting gallery etc) but the new mechanics and the better storyline make up for it.

I'm also liking the new art direction with crisp, clearly outlined visuals and splashes of bright primary colour everywhere... such a welcome relief from the vaseline lenses and muddy greys and browns this franchise is known for.

Having said, the setting is still batshit insane. So, I'm an American contractor fighting Chechen terrorists in downtown Laos at the behest of the Nigerian government... and these 'terrorists' have their own uniforms, ranks, fire and air support and have been plaguing the region for years? Excuse me while I shut of my brain and all sense of history, culture and geography.

I'm sure it'll get even crazier but at least the characters and narrative drive are coherent and easier to follow. Doing away with the gravelly pretentiousness of previous insallments is also a good call, at least this time around they don't pretend it's anything more than a popcorn flick.

Hip Hop

honey moon phase is over I think.

Game is great,

however,

the spawns and connections are terrible. Constantly getting paired up with my ping bar at 1-2.

Shoot a guy, almost takes full clip.

Hopefully more players later fix the issue or something.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Nope it's a new mechanic.

Nice so you actually dump partially used mags now?

Would have thought if they wanted to go the "realistic" route they would just cycle back in the partially used mag to your inventory like other games have done.

Been a while since Ive seen a game that fully dumps a partially used mag on reload.

Phear

Would have thought if they wanted to go the "realistic" route they would just cycle back in the partially used mag to your inventory like other games have done.

Been a while since Ive seen a game that fully dumps a partially used mag on reload.

Shit, is this for real? I'm a heavy reloading guy, every chance i get, i'm reloading. Can't stop it, it's like an inherent must-do.

THIS changes everything.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looking at the visuals it seems to look pretty nice at points and less nice at others. It's disappointing that they regularly disable the beautiful motion blur they use in all cutscenes (and specific gameplay sequences). I'd imagine they weren't getting the performance they wanted with it enabled at all times. I wonder if the PC version allows it?

I believe it's only part of the quick reload. It's a trade off to reload quickly

Top Bottom