• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

I've noticed that I've really disliked the Infinity Ward games, but love the Treyarch games. Now there's Sledgehammer that seems to be pretty cool.

Note to self. Only Treyarch and Sledgehammer CODs going forward

The real infinity ward is now making titanfall over at respawn. The last 2 infinity ward COD games were made by a ragtag group of devs that didn't have much to do with COD1, COD2, COD4, or CODMW2. So that might explain why the last few IW games haven't clicked with you.

I didn't think it was possible, but AW has surpassed Ghosts as having the worst spawns in the series. The amount of deaths within 1 second of spawning are astronomically disgusting.

Navy Bean

I only played 2 mp games but it seemed like I got a medal for virtually every kill...lol. Every once in a while I'd get a kill with no medal and be like...wtf happened?

E92 M3

Shocking. Has the Xbox bundle released yet? That should close the gap.

So, even with marketing deals, Xbox is still losing? That would really be surprising. Interested to see the numbers for NPD on this one

It has released.

To be fair I expect PS4 to be ahead WW and below in US.

NPD Xbone will be ahead for sure... better deals, bundle and more CoD userbase.

You are right - I forgot about the WW factor. That is heavily skewed in PS4's favor.

Been behind on this game but just heard about this Uplink mode. Looks really awesome. Man, I need to shareplay this because it just seems to good to be true

aravuus

So when's the double exp fun gonna end? It's 2 hours till midnight in Finland, so.. In two hours for me?

I've got a day off tomorrow and even Wednesday I think so I'm gonna be up playing it all night either way though

Been behind on this game but just heard about this Uplink mode. Looks really awesome. Man, I need to shareplay this because it just seems to good to be true

Pretty sure someone said you can't shareplay it

Have people seen "migrating Host" wait messages? If so there's no dedicated servers still p2p

Hm ive played 40 games so far and haven't seen the migrating host yet but on PS4 most games are red bar so i dont know what is going on. I thought it was my connection but nope my friends just messaged me asking me about the connections so it must be something on SHG end.

jacobs34

I didn't think it was possible, but AW has surpassed Ghosts as having the worst spawns in the series. The amount of deaths within 1 second of spawning are astronomically disgusting.

I played Domination and Hardpoint for three hours today and didn't get spawn killed a single time. I guess YMMV.

Just picked it up, but I'm far too tired to play it now. Hopefully I'll like it as much as most people seem to. Ghosts was so underwhelming.

TDM, I can't even begin to understand how they launched with it this bad. The annoying chat icon in the middle of the screen, the nonstop host migrations and rubberbanding, and now revenge kill spawning. Ugh.

Wow, really? What platform are you on... what location (world wise i mean)?

All i've been seeing and hearing is pretty damn smooth play with no host migrations or rubber banding.

That said the chat icon HAS to be some error... how could they not notice that!?

Xeroblade

All i've been seeing and hearing is pretty damn smooth play with no host migrations or rubber banding.

That said the chat icon HAS to be some error... how could they not notice that!?

Yea the chat icon almost in the middle of the screen is weird design choice. What does it mean to rubber banding? Also when i played I had a few hiccups of lag here and there nothing major though. PS4/USA

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if this happened to you guys, but my advance warfare got corrupted, when it was downloading the update. It just got stuck on 100% and i left it for about 5 hrs and nothing :mad: now i have to download it again. my download speed is 50Mbps
this is on the xbox one by the way.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I am loving this so far. Man I fucking suck though. I cant even seem to string together a few kills without dying. Been playing mostly team deathmatch.

Shocking. Has the Xbox bundle released yet? That should close the gap.

So, even with marketing deals, Xbox is still losing? That would really be surprising. Interested to see the numbers for NPD on this one

Aren't those numbers worldwide? Considering how the PS4 is selling over at Europe it's not really strange to see more PS4 players.

Yea the chat notification is pretty annoying but yesterday in their AMA they said they are already working on it so that should be fixed by this week i hope.

Cavalier

Banned
Yea the chat icon almost in the middle of the screen is weird design choice. What does it mean to rubber banding? Also when i played I had a few hiccups of lag here and there nothing major though. PS4/USA

Meaning you get transported back consistently from where you started from when you move your character as if you were lagging and the server side didn't register your prior movement.

Bf4 was notorious for this

zeroyazi

Banned
I don't know if this happened to you guys, but my advance warfare got corrupted, when it was downloading the update. It just got stuck on 100% and i left it for about 5 hrs and nothing :mad: now i have to download it again. my download speed is 50Mbps

which cloud are you dl'ing from?

Edit: see xbl now, sry can't help

Xeroblade

Meaning you get transported back consistently from where you started from when you move your character as if you were lagging and the server side didn't register your prior movement.

Ah, that makes sense lol. I haven't gotten anything like that. Super smooth for me.

PS4, US - West. I just can't catch a break. What's even more unusual is I'm finding that by the time the session loads, there's like 3-4 people already in and playing. I haven't seen that happen since P2P, which AW appears to be using.

aravuus

Bf4 was notorious for this

It was? Damn, I must have been real lucky cause I bought it at launch and I don't think it was ever a problem for me.

There's been a bit of rubber banding for me in AW. Nothing much. My hits not getting registered is the bigger problem for me right now.

SMZC

Just played a few hours of MP. First impressions couldn't be any worse. It's still the same COD as always, in the bad sense, that is, random kills from behind or from your sides all over the place. Except this time, it's even worse, with the added verticality. Ghosts was messed up in this regard, but AW is some new levels of bad here, if that was even possible.

When all is said and done, said verticality doesn't add much to the game. I find it baffling that they decided that your exo movement should appear in the enemy's minimap. It incites you to use these new mechanics less, effectively turning the game into the same COD of always, and yes, there's a perk to remedy this, but if players have to sacrifice something in order to fully and properly use these new mechanics then one can only wonder whether they are truly that integral to the game.

Sledgehammer also seems to have some sort of misguided devotion towards Treyarch's work. I don't agree with the decision to go back to the pick 10 (13) system, when Ghosts create a class was an improvement and a step forward in customization, but I can at least understand the reasoning, to a point, since pick 10 worked and people weren't very much into Ghosts. What I just cannot fathom is why they would reuse Treyarch's atrocious netcode from their BO series when Ghosts had, by far, the best hit detection and netcode the series has ever seen. By simply playing a few hours I can tell quite easily that the netcode of AW is, for all intents and purposes, the exact same one used in Treyarch's games. The same issues appear, from visual lag popping up every few seconds in literally every match (Ghosts had none of that), to more severe forms of lag during shootouts, not to mention a wonky hit detection whenever things get just a tad hectic.

Seriously, why is this so, Sledgehammer? In your belief that people like Treyarch more so than IW, were you so obsessed with forgetting that Ghosts even existed, that you had to resort to reusing such a garbage network code, when there was a much better one at your disposal? Surely you could have taken the best things from each of the two developers, rather than blindly and unilaterally taking everything from the one you perceived to be more popular among the fans.

Oh. The graphics. For all the crap that Ghosts has gotten for the past 12 months, I will say that that game looked much better on the PS4 than AW does now. The framerate's lack of stability was a deal breaker in Ghosts, but speaking strictly in terms of graphics, Ghosts looked considerably better and more appealing than AW. I also find AW's weapons and reload animations to be quite bad, downright ugly even, not anywhere near the level of Treyarch's, let alone Infinity Ward's (who have always been king at modeling and animating weapons). And on a more personal note, the art design is just not very appealing, but that's just me.

I find I have complaints about this game left and right no matter where I look, and overall it's been a very frustrating experience to me. Why is the unlocking system so short-sighted, having for example to pull off head-shots in order to unlock something as essential as quickdraw, and then having to repeat the exact same, tedious process for each and every weapon? What is this new shitty reloading system, where I can't figure for the life of me how to pull off one type of reload or another, with the game ultimately deciding that I should just waste two thirds of a perfectly good magazine? Then there's the flow of the matches, which is pure fucking garbage due to the atrocious spawn system that just decides to put respawning enemies right behind your team so that they can flank you without even trying. Last but not least, why does the game only mute the current people in the lobby? I have to use the "mute all" option each and every time someone new comes into the lobby, because the game just doesn't get that I don't want to listen to anybody's crap (not to mention these obnoxious and obtrusive letters popping up in the middle of the screen to let me know who the jackass with the loud music at the other end of the microphone is, because apparently having to put up with the sound wasn't enough).

I didn't think much of Ghosts, but I certainly don't remember raging anywhere near as much with it on day one (oh, sorry, "zero"), or with any other game, for that matter. Ghosts had its share of issues, it was formulaic but it was fun at least. This is just not a good multiplayer experience to me, and I doubt I will be giving Sledgehammer another chance. I already said to myself that I would never buy another Treyarch game again, and while I'm more open about what Ghosts 2 can be, I'm not particularly looking forward to buying another game from the current Infinity Ward either. So I guess that after 9 years of buying COD games yearly, without exception, I will finally be moving on from the series, since none of the current three developers really appeals to me. It's been a good run, but I'm sick and tired of this franchise's bullshit at this point.

The real infinity ward is now making titanfall over at respawn. The last 2 infinity ward COD games were made by a ragtag group of devs that didn't have much to do with COD1, COD2, COD4, or CODMW2. So that might explain why the last few IW games haven't clicked with you.
Titanfall wasn't great either, though better than Ghost

Apt101

Finally got my first rank three kill streak after four or five sessions. Finished the match with a 28-9 KD. That is the best I ever done in any game outside of Team Fortress 2, and possibly Killzone Shadow Fall. And I've played like damn near every FPS (aside from the last four CoD titles). Something is just clicking for me. It feels really well balanced, with plenty of options for customization early on.

Along with the superb campaign, I will be shocked if this entry doesn't return the franchise close to its previous popularity. I know it's been on a decline and projections were down, but word of mouth should push this baby up.

Spawns will never be perfect. You will always get shot in the back. There will always be some rubber banding. That's just the way it is. It is not a 100% solvable problem in a networked game like this. Yes, certain entries in the series are better than others, but it's just going to happen. Period. If you want to enjoy the game you need to accept this.

Jingo

Funny how i always keep hearing huge backlash against this game, the greedy developers, always the same game bla bla bla bla, yet, when it comes out, everybody wants it and buy it on day...zero??

Even tough i dont like it too much, i buy it for the social part with my friends, im a terrible player but its the only thing they play, hell, half oh them have ps4 with only call of duty games!!!, what i want to say is, considering the backlash and the huge amount of sales and crazyness everytime a new call comes out, this has to be the ultimate guilty pleasure game!!!

Just played a few hours of MP. First impressions couldn't be any worse. It's still the same COD as always, in the bad sense, that is, random kills from behind or from your sides all over the place. Except this time, it's even worse, with the added verticality. Ghosts was messed up in this regard, but AW is some new levels of bad here, if that was even possible.

When all is said and done, said verticality doesn't add much to the game. I find it baffling that they decided that your exo movement should appear in the enemy's minimap. It incites you to use these new mechanics less, effectively turning the game into the same COD of always, and yes, there's a perk to remedy this, but if players have to sacrifice something in order to fully and properly use these new mechanics then one can only wonder whether they are truly that integral to the game.

Sledgehammer also seems to have some sort of misguided devotion towards Treyarch's work. I don't agree with the decision to go back to the pick 10 (13) system, when Ghosts create a class was an improvement and a step forward in customization, but I can at least understand the reasoning, to a point, since pick 10 worked and people weren't very much into Ghosts. What I just cannot fathom is why they would reuse Treyarch's atrocious netcode from their BO series when Ghosts had, by far, the best hit detection and netcode the series has ever seen. By simply playing a few hours I can tell quite easily that the netcode of AW is, for all intents and purposes, the exact same one used in Treyarch's games. The same issues appear, from visual lag popping up every few seconds in literally every match (Ghosts had none of that), to more severe forms of lag during shootouts, not to mention a wonky hit detection whenever things get just a tad hectic.

Seriously, why is this so, Sledgehammer? In your belief that people like Treyarch more so than IW, were you so obsessed with forgetting that Ghosts even existed, that you had to resort to reusing such a garbage network code, when there was a much better one at your disposal? Surely you could have taken the best things from each of the two developers, rather than blindly and unilaterally taking everything from the one you perceived to be more popular among the fans.

Oh. The graphics. For all the crap that Ghosts has gotten for the past 12 months, I will say that that game looked much better on the PS4 than AW does now. The framerate's lack of stability was a deal breaker in Ghosts, but speaking strictly in terms of graphics, Ghosts looked considerably better and more appealing than AW. I also find AW's weapons and reload animations to be quite bad, downright ugly even, not anywhere near the level of Treyarch's, let alone Infinity Ward's (who have always been king at modeling and animating weapons). And on a more personal note, the art design is just not very appealing, but that's just me.

I find I have complaints about this game left and right no matter where I look, and overall it's been a very frustrating experience to me. Why is the unlocking system so short-sighted, having for example to pull off head-shots in order to unlock something as essential as quickdraw, and then having to repeat the exact same, tedious process for each and every weapon? What is this new shitty reloading system, where I can't figure for the life of me how to pull off one type of reload or another, with the game ultimately deciding that I should just waste two thirds of a perfectly good magazine? Then there's the flow of the matches, which is pure fucking garbage due to the atrocious spawn system that just decides to put respawning enemies right behind your team so that they can flank you without even trying. Last but not least, why does the game only mute the current people in the lobby? I have to use the "mute all" option each and every time someone new comes into the lobby, because the game just doesn't get that I don't want to listen to anybody's crap (not to mention these obnoxious and obtrusive letters popping up in the middle of the screen to let me know who the jackass with the loud music at the other end of the microphone is, because apparently having to put up with the sound wasn't enough).

I didn't think much of Ghosts, but I certainly don't remember raging anywhere near as much with it on day one (oh, sorry, "zero"), or with any other game, for that matter. Ghosts had its share of issues, it was formulaic but it was fun at least. This is just not a good multiplayer experience to me, and I doubt I will be giving Sledgehammer another chance. I already said to myself that I would never buy another Treyarch game again, and while I'm more open about what Ghosts 2 can be, I'm not particularly looking forward to buying another game from the current Infinity Ward either. So I guess that after 9 years of buying COD games yearly, without exception, I will finally be moving on from the series, since none of the current three developers really appeals to me. It's been a good run, but I'm sick and tired of this franchise's bullshit at this point.
This pretty much sums up my feelings as well.

Top Bottom