• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

funkypie

Banned
so they have taken away the online numbers to hide the fact that less people play cod and charging the ridiculous price for DLC.

$15 for one map pack is ridiculous anyway. Nearly 4 dollars a map, so shitty.

i'm glad i'm done with this franchise, not only do the games stay the same every year, they lie each year and say it is a new engine.

nOoblet16

Man I swear dash in this game will kill my PS4's analogue grip.
I am contemplating selling my copy and rebuying on Xbone just to avoid this :p

PS4, US - West. I just can't catch a break. What's even more unusual is I'm finding that by the time the session loads, there's like 3-4 people already in and playing. I haven't seen that happen since P2P, which AW appears to be using.

Yeah i'm really hoping dedicated servers wasn't an Xbox One exclusive thing.

Joco

AW is fun, but not as much as I had hoped it would be. I don't think that's the games fault, but rather I'm just not as into these fast-paced, twitch shooters nearly as much as I used to be in the COD4 - Black Ops time period. I suppose I should have seen it coming having not even managed to prestige in Black Ops 2 and skipping Ghosts entirely. I'll play it and get my money's worth but it's not all I had hoped for at this point. Crossing my fingers that Treyarch does something special next year. Might be done with the series after that.

aravuus

so they have taken away the online numbers to hide the fact that less people play cod and charging the ridiculous price for DLC.

i'm glad i'm done with this franchise, not only do the games stay the same every year, they lie each year and say it is a new engine.

Thanks for contributing

Mengetsu

Yeah i'm really hoping dedicated servers wasn't an Xbox One exclusive thing.
I haven't had any connection problems on my PS4 so far playing online but when they still haven't said anything about these "dedicated servers" I feel like it's just not gonna be the case with PS4. Maybe fear of backlash.

Joco

I should add that while most people praise verticality I'm not particularly enjoying it in this game. Any idea of map control or even a shred of teamwork has seemingly gone out the window in AW. Not that there was much to begin with anyway in past games I suppose, but nonetheless, I feel like I'm running around like a maniac just shooting whatever I see and hoping someone doesn't come flying out of nowhere to kill me.

No platform have dedicated server for what I know... It is all P2P.

Nah they've publically stated there are dedicated servers... but nothing else as far as specifics go... could only be PC for all we know...

"Yeah, we've got some some announcements coming. Yes, we will be supporting dedicated servers and yes there will be announcements soon on which providers and platforms. I can't answer just yet, but you can let your community know that it's coming." -Michael Condrey

U2NUMB

I should add that while most people praise verticality I'm not particularly enjoying it in this game. Any idea of map control or even a shred of teamwork has seemingly gone out the window in AW. Not that there was much to begin with anyway in past games I suppose, but nonetheless, I feel like I'm running around like a maniac just shooting whatever I see and hoping someone doesn't come flying out of nowhere to kill me.

Try the hoppers that remove the extra stuff... most say it plays like a Black Ops game then without the double jump and so forth.

Omni

First CoD since MW2

but has the gameplay always been this... boring? Kinda just strolling through the campaign at the moment and meh. Guns have no real kick to them. Just point and shoot. Kinda bothers me a lot. I can't remember it being this bad.

But I will play multiplayer before writing it off completely.

Awwwwww..That a boi, get that off your chest...it's ok, you'll not be missed.

ChuckNyce

So I think I've settled on a main loadout that I can wreck shit with:

15679910136_588345e829_o.jpg

Dat HBRa3 is a beast. Coupled with Gung Ho and a laser sight and I'm just mowing down fools.

Can the dedicated servers come in the future? They aren't ready right now...

Yeah that's what i believe will happen. They'll state something like "Coming in Early 2015 dedicated servers for AW for platform X, Y, Z. Along with this comes... yada, yada, new options..." or something. At least i hope.

alterno69

Banned
Just played a few hours of MP. First impressions couldn't be any worse. It's still the same COD as always, in the bad sense, that is, random kills from behind or from your sides all over the place. Except this time, it's even worse, with the added verticality. Ghosts was messed up in this regard, but AW is some new levels of bad here, if that was even possible.

When all is said and done, said verticality doesn't add much to the game. I find it baffling that they decided that your exo movement should appear in the enemy's minimap. It incites you to use these new mechanics less, effectively turning the game into the same COD of always, and yes, there's a perk to remedy this, but if players have to sacrifice something in order to fully and properly use these new mechanics then one can only wonder whether they are truly that integral to the game.

Sledgehammer also seems to have some sort of misguided devotion towards Treyarch's work. I don't agree with the decision to go back to the pick 10 (13) system, when Ghosts create a class was an improvement and a step forward in customization, but I can at least understand the reasoning, to a point, since pick 10 worked and people weren't very much into Ghosts. What I just cannot fathom is why they would reuse Treyarch's atrocious netcode from their BO series when Ghosts had, by far, the best hit detection and netcode the series has ever seen. By simply playing a few hours I can tell quite easily that the netcode of AW is, for all intents and purposes, the exact same one used in Treyarch's games. The same issues appear, from visual lag popping up every few seconds in literally every match (Ghosts had none of that), to more severe forms of lag during shootouts, not to mention a wonky hit detection whenever things get just a tad hectic.

Seriously, why is this so, Sledgehammer? In your belief that people like Treyarch more so than IW, were you so obsessed with forgetting that Ghosts even existed, that you had to resort to reusing such a garbage network code, when there was a much better one at your disposal? Surely you could have taken the best things from each of the two developers, rather than blindly and unilaterally taking everything from the one you perceived to be more popular among the fans.

Oh. The graphics. For all the crap that Ghosts has gotten for the past 12 months, I will say that that game looked much better on the PS4 than AW does now. The framerate's lack of stability was a deal breaker in Ghosts, but speaking strictly in terms of graphics, Ghosts looked considerably better and more appealing than AW. I also find AW's weapons and reload animations to be quite bad, downright ugly even, not anywhere near the level of Treyarch's, let alone Infinity Ward's (who have always been king at modeling and animating weapons). And on a more personal note, the art design is just not very appealing, but that's just me.

I find I have complaints about this game left and right no matter where I look, and overall it's been a very frustrating experience to me. Why is the unlocking system so short-sighted, having for example to pull off head-shots in order to unlock something as essential as quickdraw, and then having to repeat the exact same, tedious process for each and every weapon? What is this new shitty reloading system, where I can't figure for the life of me how to pull off one type of reload or another, with the game ultimately deciding that I should just waste two thirds of a perfectly good magazine? Then there's the flow of the matches, which is pure fucking garbage due to the atrocious spawn system that just decides to put respawning enemies right behind your team so that they can flank you without even trying. Last but not least, why does the game only mute the current people in the lobby? I have to use the "mute all" option each and every time someone new comes into the lobby, because the game just doesn't get that I don't want to listen to anybody's crap (not to mention these obnoxious and obtrusive letters popping up in the middle of the screen to let me know who the jackass with the loud music at the other end of the microphone is, because apparently having to put up with the sound wasn't enough).

I didn't think much of Ghosts, but I certainly don't remember raging anywhere near as much with it on day one (oh, sorry, "zero"), or with any other game, for that matter. Ghosts had its share of issues, it was formulaic but it was fun at least. This is just not a good multiplayer experience to me, and I doubt I will be giving Sledgehammer another chance. I already said to myself that I would never buy another Treyarch game again, and while I'm more open about what Ghosts 2 can be, I'm not particularly looking forward to buying another game from the current Infinity Ward either. So I guess that after 9 years of buying COD games yearly, without exception, I will finally be moving on from the series, since none of the current three developers really appeals to me. It's been a good run, but I'm sick and tired of this franchise's bullshit at this point.

I don't agree with most of this sorry.

How can you say Ghosts looks better than this i don't know, that's just not true.
I've had no problems with the respawn system either, yes you tend to respawn close to the person who killed you but i can still keep long killstreaks, i'm level 38btw.

I'd say verticality adds a lot to the game too, you have to be more aware of your surroundings than ever.

Still, no game is for everyone, too bad you don't like it.

Nokterian

Now i regret that i bought the US version on PSN because i cannot access that pre order and other stuff on my EU account..that fucking sucks :(

hexen

Neo Member
the game is trolling me. i bought it on psn and first it installed the singleplayer although i chose multiplayer. now that "installing content" countdown in the multiplayer parts keeps growing and growing and just reached 48 hours left...

Radian8

Now i regret that i bought the US version on PSN because i cannot access that pre order and other stuff on my EU account..that fucking sucks :(

I wish I had read this 5 minutes ago. I just bought the US version on my NZ console. So you can't access any of the pre-order stuff on your UK console like you usually can?

Nokterian

I wish I had read this 5 minutes ago. I just bought the US version on my NZ console. So you can't access any of the pre-order stuff on your UK console like you usually can?

No i cannot access the digital pro or other stuff..like at all only on my US account. I am from the netherlands but still EU account. I feel fucking dumb and nobody could have said that because it would happen and it did.

Golden Hamster

Neo Member
A cheap bastard here. As someone who wants this game, but doesn't have a next gen console, should I get it on my low/mid-range laptop and run it at low settings or get it on 360? My worry with 360 is a lack of players. Any advice?

SMZC

How can you say Ghosts looks better than this i don't know, that's just not true.

Maybe AW looks much better in SP, I don't know, haven't tried that yet (I'm not interested in COD campaigns). In MP, though, Ghosts has a clearer, sharper image, and the colors are much more vibrant and appealing, although I realize that the latter has a lot to do with art design.

Still, often is it said that Ghosts looks like a last-gen game, and that is simply not true. Ghosts is a very visually appealing game at 1080p on the PS4, too bad about the unstable framerate (for that alone AW deserves to be put over Ghosts tech-wise, admittedly). Strictly speaking about visuals, though, I do consider Ghosts and AW to be pretty much on the same level, with Ghosts having the edge, if anything. The notion that AW is "next-gen looking" while Ghosts is not is ridiculous.

Top Bottom