• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

PSYGN

SMG's suck in this game. Can't really run and gun with it as AR's are hip firing me and killing me faster than my SMG. You'd think I would be able to outgun close quarters combat 75% with the SMG. Nope, not in this game. I'm using the AR now and doing better, which is a pity as I like a faster game style. AR hip fire's accuracy and SMG range needs slightly more tweaking, imo.

aravuus

I think it depends on your latency experience with the game so far. For me, I've used the boost strafe to evade fire only to die the next second after I'm behind cover. Most of the time, even though on my screen I've successfully evaded, I'm already dead.

This is how it's been for me too so far. Still getting used to the controls though, actually kind of annoying how I have to go directly to left or right to boost dash and not even a bit forward.

I do like when opening the Battlepacks (forgot the actual name) when the guy yells "Elite". So good.

that's a good feeling though, yes

After a good bunch of hours playing this game (level 48 now) I still don't quite get the point of the exo mechanics. In a series known for its incredibly low time to kill, the notion of implementing a game mechanic that revolves around the idea of evasive maneuvers seems utterly pointless. And sure enough, whenever you try to dodge bullets once you're being fired upon it really just doesn't matter; youarealreadydead.jpg. So, what's the point?

Besides the new movement being useless for actually evading shots, I just don't like how it works in practice. In the end it tends to work in a way where either party jumps over the other's head just before the actual engagement, which just results in a lot of confusion and "wtf" moments. As if the series' tradition of being shot from the flanks or from behind every other second weren't bad enough, now you also get killed from enemies from above you didn't see coming. Dandy.

Also,

"We don't pay you to stand there looking pretty, go and kill someone already".

Who the hell wrote this? It's like they had one of the 12 year olds who play this series to write these things for them.

390.gif

If I strafe to the side the moment someone fires on me, the same reaction time it would take to fire back at them normally, I will get hit by a few shots but survive. You can't strafe to evade when you already have a few shots in you from my experience. You can't shoot and get shot, strafe, then shoot again for the most part. That is where latency will come into play and get you killed.

SMZC

I think it depends on your latency experience with the game so far. For me, I've used the boost strafe to evade fire only to die the next second after I'm behind cover. Most of the time, even though on my screen I've successfully evaded, I'm already dead.

Same experience here.

bombshell

PS4 leaderboard has just over 1 million players, while Xbox One has just over 900k now. Maybe the gap between these two isn't as big as we thought?

I wonder what PC / PS3 / Xbox 360 look like. That'd put sales around what? 3-4 million for first 24 hours?

The sales gap is ~2:1 worldwide, but CoD was always a bigger franchise on Xbox last-gen and it has a marketing deal on there.

That it even manages to sell more on PS4 is a huge turnaround this gen.

i haven't time to play it much but the mp mode i played was TDM and Domination and infected. i like it. because of the exo stuff. and nearly instant respawn.

jediyoshi

After a good bunch of hours playing this game (level 48 now) I still don't quite get the point of the exo mechanics. In a series known for its incredibly low time to kill, the notion of implementing a game mechanic that revolves around the idea of evasive maneuvers seems utterly pointless. And sure enough, whenever you try to dodge bullets once you're being fired upon it really just doesn't matter; youarealreadydead.jpg. So, what's the point?

How did the concept of using the exo to get the drop on people completely elude you for 48 levels? You've only been using it for evasive maneuvers? Why do you think there are a million raised platforms on every map?

ViciousDS

Banned

yes....lag compensation screws you both ways at times. Sometimes enemies are bullet sponges....aka sometimes you become one as well....othertimes you die in 1 shot...while enemies have died with that bullet that makes you feel amazing.

Honestly I have never seen ping jump around so much for everyone in a lobby even in a P2P game. This netcode that they have, needs some serious fixing.

Still waiting for that day....where we can have our own servers, run them and setup our own rules on console CoD's.

I'm starting to get discouraged. I was crushing ass earlier but it doesnt matter what I do it feels like it takes 5-6 hits to kill somebody where I'm getting killed in 2 super fast. Disappointing because the game itself in general is fucking awesome. Its just disheartening not even getting a standard UAV

If I strafe to the side the moment someone fires on me, the same reaction time it would take to fire back at them normally, I will get hit by a few shots but survive. You can't strafe to evade when you already have a few shots in you from my experience. You can't shoot and get shot, strafe, then shoot again for the most part. That is where latency will come into play and get you killed.

This is why the kill times should be increased, even if a little bit. It's probably why a game like Halo works so much better with P2P, kill times are long enough to where a split second lag doesn't matter as much.

SMZC

How did the concept of using the exo to get the drop on people completely elude you for 48 levels? You've only been using it for evasive maneuvers? Why do you think there are a million raised platforms on every map?

I commented on that point too, saying that all this new mechanic does in that regard is add confusion and chaos to a series that was already too chaotic for its own good. Getting shot over 50% of the time by enemies you can't see is just not fun, and no amount of spatial awareness will help you with that, it's just the way the game works.

Daffy Duck

SMG's suck in this game. Can't really run and gun with it as AR's are hip firing me and killing me faster than my SMG. You'd think I would be able to outgun close quarters combat 75% with the SMG. Nope, not in this game. I'm using the AR now and doing better, which is a pity as I like a faster game style. AR hip fire's accuracy and SMG range needs slightly more tweaking, imo.

Yep, smg guns are useless at the moment, they need to be buffed.

EL CUCO

I do like when opening the Battlepacks (forgot the actual name) when the guy yells "Elite". So good.

Do you actually get to keep the item? I got Elite Lazer shooting weapon last night. I wasn't sure if it was on a timer or what.

Still learning the new features. Its pretty cool

Daximuss

Something I discovered while playing last night, is if you scroll over to your scorestreaks and hit "Y" or "triangle", you can go in and modify the scorestreaks to your liking.

One thing I would suggest for those that have been getting killed a lot (myself included) and have not been able to enjoy using scorestreaks, is to click the support option while in the scorestreak customization screen.

This allows the points you've earned towards your scorestreak to continually progress even if you die in a match.

aravuus

Yep, smg guns are useless at the moment, they need to be buffed.

I'm doing alright with SAC3s. Anyone skilled enough with an AR destroys me on any range tho so yes, the SMGs definitely need a small buff.

Hopefully they get it too, this game's so fucking frantic it's a lot more fun when you're not aiming down the sights over half the time

rainy_day

I am loving the mobility of the exos. My friend is getting really frustrated with them though, he has not mastered them. I have had zero issues with lag or dropped games. Pleasantly surprised by this game.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Instinct probably has one of the worst spawns in the game. When you spawn on the low side by that massive piece of machinery you're pretty much visible to half the map once you take about 3 steps from the spawn area.

Patroclos

Banned
Can somebody some up the general Gaf consensus on this one objectively? Seems like the same COD as far as kill times. Also the net code is troubling?

So I bought the digital pro edition of COD AW which came with the season pass. Whenever I search for a game on Atlas Gorge I get into the lobby with no problems but when the game starts to load it goes black and pops up with this error message Disc Read Error 'mp_dam'. Anyone experiencing a similar problem? Everything else with the game works fine it's just Atlas Gorge.

The Beard

Do you actually get to keep the item? I got Elite Lazer shooting weapon last night. I wasn't sure if it was on a timer or what.

Still learning the new features. Its pretty cool

I believe you get to keep everything from the packs. There are items you get temporarily for completing challenges that expire after a few rounds though. Like the bloodshot helmet you receive for getting a 5 killstreak for example.

The Beard

Yes, they really do suck. The AR's hip fire ability needs to be nerfed a bit, and the SMG's hipfire ability needs a bit of a boost. I prefer playing with SMG's, but right now they really suck.

Sojgat

Can somebody some up the general Gaf consensus on this one objectively? Seems like the same COD as far as kill times. Also the net code is troubling?

TTK seems closer to BLOPS 2 than Ghosts (which is good), but netcode does seem kind of shitty at the moment.

I'm in Australia, and I've had a lot of problems with poor matchmaking, and lag. In America it might be fine. Your experience may vary.

Patroclos

Banned
TTK seems closer to BLOPS 2 than Ghosts (which is good), but netcode does seem kind of shitty at the moment.

I'm in Australia, and I've had a lot of problems with poor matchmaking, and lag. In America it might be fine. Your experience may vary.

Thanks man! Preesh.

Strider

SAC3 is my favorite gun. so much fun. Finally unlocked scavenegr to go with it too.

So there's a PS4 clan now? How do I join?

Just got on multiplayer and pleasantly surprised that the mechanics are really solid with the exosuit. Nothing seems too floaty or cheap, kill times seem longer (you can take about 2-3 seconds of fire before death), and the melee is super effective.

JohnIIVII

I got a helmet unlock online and now it has just disappeared. Anyone else had this happen to them.

There are some items you unlock by doing certain things in the game that are limited time only, normally on a 30 min countdown. If you get it from a supply crate, I think it is a permanent unlock. I don't know this for sure but that has been my experience so far.

Ensoul

I used to be good too. This game is really fun but it can be frustrating as hell. It's so hard to put together a streak with people traversing the map so quickly. I take out 1 or 2 guys the somebody gets me from behind, from the same spot that was clear a second ago when I walked through it.

My ping is all over the place. I've been at full bars one match then 1 the next in the same lobby.
That is what I am going through. I just run with two kill streaks, uav and care package. I leave third and fourth empty because it is pointless to use a slot for killstreaks that I cannot obtain.

My kdr is 1.00 and that is because when I kill someone I am usually dead in under 3 seconds making it next to impossible for me to stack kills.

Anyone know what this is?

I have 0 in 'My Bank' - I seem to remember something similar in BLOPs games, I haven't played those for a while though.

For those wondering, you can find it in the Call of Duty app (on Android, press the three dots in the right corner to bring up the settings and this 'My Bank' at the top of the screen).

jREV4UH.png

Anyone know what the deal is with this?

Z_Y

Did anybody get the digital upgrade to work going from 360 to XB1? Bought the 360 version this morning and it still says $59.99 in the XB1 store.

Top Bottom