• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified |OT| Ad-Hoc Summary: It Is Not Terrible!

Are you just naturally attracted to negativity with the Vita or something? For somebody who owns and Vita and participates in a lot of Vita discussion, you sure do seem to only have eyes for the negative stuff. I never see you post anything positive.
One there hasn't been much positive news to jump in on.

Two, can one that invested in the platform not have higher expectations from games?

Iacobellis

Focusing on the wrong part of his reply.
They were indeed helpful on twitter to keep our expectations in check. The only snarky reply came from the Dev regarding the game engine.

I will agree with you on that one. He was a dick in saying it would take more than one tweet to explain how the engine worked or something like that.

JCizzle

Expecting a handheld to run native resolution isn't that mental.
Also your basing 'all the videos' on off screen footage. The lack of content being released around this game is ridiculous - hand in hand with Nihilistic's pissed off replies its evident no one has confidence in this title.

Well, at least with off screen footage I know it's not a bullshot trailer with an edited video to make it look smoother than it actually is.

spannicus

The game looks awesome for a handheld CoD come on you can not deny that at all. The price hmmmm blame Activision but this game is for the multiplayer junkies. Nihilistic in my opinion did a great job mimicking the CoD look and gameplay. Can't wait to get mines at the midnight launch.

JCizzle

well, apparently the shitty offscreen ones look better and smoother than the bullshot one ;)

I mean, I dont really care what they look like in terms of video quality, my primary concern was that I wasnt seeing massive FPS drops in the midst of action. At least in my opinion, a flaw like that should have been easy to spot even in a cell phone video.

Did you play that Virtua Tennis 4 launch title? I was indeed hoping for 60fps and more of the features that make up CoD.
It's Nihilistic's shit engine. It's not like this game is known for the texture work.

I think his point was more just wait a while becasue the console is still very much in it's infancy as far as console pushing software goes.

Takao

Banned
This is likely going to be the only Call of Duty on Vita so I can see the anger at it being such a content-less title at a price almost no handheld games take.

spannicus

This is likely going to be the only Call of Duty on Vita so I can see the anger at it being such a content-less title at a price almost no handheld games take.

Let's hope for DLC I know it sucks because of more money. With patches and DLC this game can be awesome.

Takao

Banned
Even if the game sold well (which, let's be honest here, it won't) I doubt there was ever a potential for DLC on the table.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

The only CoD on Vita and SFxTK is the last Capcom game, huh? OK, we get it- you think the Vita is dead. There's no lack of Vita doom n' gloom threads for you to post in.

I mean, I dont really care what they look like in terms of video quality, my primary concern was that I wasnt seeing massive FPS drops in the midst of action. At least in my opinion, a flaw like that should have been easy to spot even in a cell phone video.
True. Game looks smooth. Can't disagree with that.

Can't say the graphics are good or bad from these videos.

spannicus

After reading all the YouTube comments and other things I really think this is gonna be the game that sells better than any Vita game to date. If enough people jump aboard I'm sure there will be some sort of DLC so Activision can keep the green rolling in. This will sell Vitas I am sure of it. Nihilistic said they will continue to support their current projects before they become Nstigate so let's hope that's true and maybe a Zombie mode plus a few more goodies.

After reading all the YouTube comments and other things I really think this is gonna be the game that sells better than any Vita game to date. If enough people jump aboard I'm sure there will be some sort of DLC so Activision can keep the green rolling in. This will sell Vitas I am sure of it.

It is very unscientific, but every day or two i do twitter searches for "PS Vita." the last few days there has been a ton of people saying they want the COD Vita bundle. Don't know if this is from TV ads or what, but it is interesting none the less.

JCizzle

After reading all the YouTube comments and other things I really think this is gonna be the game that sells better than any Vita game to date. If enough people jump aboard I'm sure there will be some sort of DLC so Activision can keep the green rolling in. This will sell Vitas I am sure of it. Nihilistic said they will continue to support their current projects before they become Nstigate so let's hope that's true and maybe a Zombie mode plus a few more goodies.

lol this is the same company that doesn't allow advertisement or even gameplay videos from non-MS consoles due to their agreement. As a third party software company, I don't always trust their business sense because of weird shit like that.

Iacobellis

It is very unscientific, but every day or two i do twitter searches for "PS Vita." the last few days there has been a ton of people saying they want the COD Vita bundle. Don't know if this is from TV ads or what, but it is interesting none the less.

You do that too!? I thought I was the only one!

test_account

XP-39C²
I just played a bit Resistance Burning Skies as a warm up to Declassified. Now i leveled up to level 40 in Burning Skies, which is the top level. I like that Declassified has 10 prestige levels.

Focusing on the wrong part of his reply.
They were indeed helpful on twitter to keep our expectations in check. The only snarky reply came from the Dev regarding the game engine.
Yeah, that is the only pissed off reply i saw, one of the developer said it from his own Twitter account (not through the official Nihilistic Twitter account).

Oh sorry wasn't clear. To me their replies show their a bit pissed at Sony/Activision over the project. Not that they were hitting out at fans or anything.
Ah ok, then i understand :) I'm not sure if they were pissed or not, but they did say that some of the decisions werent up to them, that is true.

Takao

Banned
The only CoD on Vita and SFxTK is the last Capcom game, huh? OK, we get it- you think the Vita is dead. There's no lack of Vita doom n' gloom threads for you to post in.

There's a difference between negativity and realistic expectations. I doubt Nihilistic would've transfered over to a digital/mobile focused company in nStigate if they felt Activision was going to give them another job. What this means is that if there's another CoD on Vita it once again has to be built from the ground up, and given the annual schedule of this series it probably won't be a pretty sight to see.

The reason I discredit Capcom is because their support for this platform feels like it's just there to claim they supported the platform. Fighting games are not expensive ports, and their strong support of 3DS, with literally nothing announced to be in the pipeline for Vita leaves a situation you'd be hard to find positivity in.

This is coming from a guy who played nothing but Burning Skies the week it released and still jumps into a few online matches from time to time.

And that is supposed to make people take you word on the subject?

I agree that people are being harsh on the Vita. Comparing the performance strains of a tennis game to a FPS is silly. And the overall negative attitude towards the titles on the Vita somewhat unwarranted.

I think it is simply in part of having unrealistic expectations. I went through this with the PSP. I was hoping for at least a portable PS2 in my hands (I loved the PS2). Now the Vita is "much more powerful and I simply expect good games that take advantage of it. Expecting the "looks" of a PS3 game is unrealistic but hopefully the can get some better gameplay crossovers.

COD Vita looks decent but I can't help but wonder if the missing features are attributed to engine, power, time, interest or a combination of all the above.

There's a difference between negativity and realistic expectations. I doubt Nihilistic would've transfered over to a digital/mobile focused company in nStigate if they felt Activision was going to give them another job. What this means is that if there's another CoD on Vita it once again has to be built from the ground up, and given the annual schedule of this series it probably won't be a pretty sight to see.

The reason I discredit Capcom is because their support for this platform feels like it's just there to claim they supported the platform. Fighting games are not expensive ports, and their strong support of 3DS, with literally nothing announced to be in the pipeline for Vita leaves a situation you'd be hard to find positivity in.

It burns but you make some valid points. Capcom really needs to step it up before people would believe they care.

Sean

Banned
You are comparing a port made by Sega, a company that has been in this industry for a long time with a large budget. Declassified is built upon Burning Skies, by a small developer who has had terrible luck with making games to only get mediocre review scores. Give Nihilistic a break, if you wanted the game to be 1:1 to the console versions, then complain to Activision or Sony. They could have found a more experienced, bigger studio to work on this.

I'm happy with what Nihilsitic did, and I am sure I will enjoy this game for awhile. This is coming from a guy who played nothing but Burning Skies the week it released and still jumps into a few online matches from time to time.

Nihilistic should not be given a break. No reviewer gives movie tie-in games a pass for those kind of circumstances (small developer, rushed deadlines) and they shouldn't here either.

Personally I think it's kind of crazy how much people have lowered their expectations of this game over the last few months. Nihilistic cut the framerate in half, cut the player count in half, apparently cut the (already tiny) multiplayer maps like Nuketown in half, removed at least half of the features people expect in CoD games and people are still like 'day one! midnight launch!'

Iacobellis

And that is supposed to make people take you word on the subject?

I agree that people are being harsh on the Vita. Comparing the performance strains of a tennis game to a FPS is silly. And the overall negative attitude towards the titles on the Vita somewhat unwarranted.

I think it is simply in part of having unrealistic expectations. I went through this with the PSP. I was hoping for at least a portable PS2 in my hands (I loved the PS2). Now the Vita is "much more powerful and I simply expect good games that take advantage of it. Expecting the "looks" of a PS3 game is unrealistic but hopefully the can get some better gameplay crossovers.

COD Vita looks decent but I can't help but wonder if the missing features are attributed to engine, power, time, interest or a combination of all the above.

It burns but you make some valid points. Capcom really needs to step it up before people would believe they care.

The PSP essentially was a portable PS2, the launch titles just couldn't prove it. Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories proved the PSP had the potential that Sony initially declared it had. Give the Vita time. I made the same mistake with the PS3, a lackluster launch lineup, piss poor online service and hardly anything to look forward to in 2007 made me pack it away in the box for awhile.

Massa

The development of this game started at Activision. For all we know that team moved to Call of Duty 2013 while Nihilistic was called to have something done in 2012.

Takao

Banned
The development of this game started at Activision. For all we know that team moved to Call of Duty 2013 while Nihilistic was called to have something done in 2012.

By Call of Duty 2013 you mean helping out Infinity Ward on Modern Warfare 4 don't you?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Oh sorry wasn't clear. To me their replies show their a bit pissed at Sony/Activision over the project. Not that they were hitting out at fans or anything.

What I'm getting from their "... sorry" Tweets is a sense of lamentation. In that they wanted to do a lot more with the game but for multiple reasons - whether they be their own lack of resources & time or due to not having permission from Sony/Activision - the game didn't turn out the way they wanted to. Working on a CoD game in this current console gaming landscape is a huge opportunity both for prestige and financial support, and I'm sure that Nihilistic wanted to do as good as job as possible.

I like what I see in the MP videos, even if the lack of music (beginning of match fanfares, etc) makes it seem a bit off. I'll see about getting it if there's enough local players to get a good game going. Hopefully it does well enough that Nihilistic can add to their game via patches and DLC.

It's just promises and expectations I guess.

the day the NGP was announced, I was pretty much going "Not too sure if many devs will be on this, but fuck, we might finally get a great CoD game. With how feature packed wii CoD games are, having something like that as a launch window title is perfectly reasonable, with more improvements visually in future games!"

I guess me not accounting for BLOPS2 not having a wii version at all was the issue here...

But if they just ported the wii version of blops to vita with higher res and higher framerate, i'd totally be happy.

Iacobellis

It's just promises and expectations I guess.

the day the NGP was announced, I was pretty much going "Not too sure if many devs will be on this, but fuck, we might finally get a great CoD game. With how feature packed wii CoD games are, having something like that as a launch window title is perfectly reasonable, with more improvements visually in future games!"

I guess me not accounting for BLOPS2 not having a wii version at all was the issue here...

But if they just ported the wii version of blops to vita with higher res and higher framerate, i'd totally be happy.

I was blown away by the NGP announcement. Seeing how powerful the Vita is, I was expecting the best Call of Duty experience on a portable. I am not disappointed in Nihilistic, Activision didn't stick to their promise wholeheartedly. Perhaps we will see a better game next year or in 2014. Killzone looks really good so far and that's slated for release next year.

Bradach

Judging by recent gameplay posted here it seems to have come a long way since the first look. I had previously written it off but this might be next on my list once I've finished assassins creed liberation. I await reviews.

The PSP essentially was a portable PS2, the launch titles just couldn't prove it. Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories proved the PSP had the potential that Sony initially declared it had. Give the Vita time. I made the same mistake with the PS3, a lackluster launch lineup, piss poor online service and hardly anything to look forward to in 2007 made me pack it away in the box for awhile.

No it wasn't. Even the later games couldn't match up. The PSP was horribly starved in terms of Ram. That was it's only big issue. The Vita though falls more in line of what I hoped and expected for in a handheld and surpasses it somewhat.

I was blown away by the NGP announcement. Seeing how powerful the Vita is, I was expecting the best Call of Duty experience on a portable. I am not disappointed in Nihilistic, Activision didn't stick to their promise wholeheartedly. Perhaps we will see a better game next year or in 2014. Killzone looks really good so far and that's slated for release next year.

Good point! Always forget about killzone, which at the very least had a good looking (bullshot or not) trailer.

who's making that again?

Iacobellis

No it wasn't. Even the later games couldn't match up. The PSP was horribly starved in terms of Ram. That was it's only big issue. The Vita though falls more in line of what I hoped and expected for in a handheld and surpasses it somewhat.

The PSP-1000 had the same amount of RAM as the PS2, 32MB.

Mario007

Not sure, couldn't find it on Sony's website. It's not Guerilla, but the game still looks damn good nonetheless.

It is Guerilla, the trailer has GG logo on it. However, it seems really to be Sony Cambridge making it as they were rumoured to be making the game and were eventually folded into GG.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

What does Capcom have coming out for the 3DS? EX Troopers (Japan-only), Phoenix Wright, and Monster Hunter.

This is "strong support?"

Top Bottom