• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified |OT| Ad-Hoc Summary: It Is Not Terrible!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Better than what the Vita isn't getting.

We don't know what it "isn't getting." If no new game announcements are made in the next few months, then things will be clear- but Capcom's Vita focus for most of 2012 was on Street Fighter X Tekken.

Capcom doesn't seem to have as strong a focus on portable systems as they used to. Even the stuff released on the DS/PSP is pretty lacking compared to all the games that came out the GBA.

Anyway, that's enough from me on this...this is the wrong thread for Capcom discussion.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What does Capcom have coming out for the 3DS? EX Troopers (Japan-only), Phoenix Wright, and Monster Hunter.

This is "strong support?"

3 (okay, 2 in the west) games versus ... ... ... 0... ... ... on the horizon?

Yeah, that's "strong"er "support" than what they're giving the PSP2, dude.

Takao

Banned
And yet there's also been no Call Of Duty games for the 3DS.

yet

I wouldn't be surprised if SCE dropped some dough for AC, and CoD. It would make sense given how misguided they've been with Vita thus far.

What does Capcom have coming out for the 3DS? EX Troopers (Japan-only), Phoenix Wright, and Monster Hunter.

This is "strong support?"

Capcom's handheld lineup thus far:

3DS
Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
Nazo Waku Yakata (Japan-only)
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
Monster Hunter Tri G
Resident Evil: Revelations
E.X. Troopers (Japan-only)
Monster Hunter 4
Ace Attorney 5
MegaMan Legends 3 (Canceled)

Vita
Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
Street Fighter X Tekken

That really says everything.

Cider X

Impressions :

-The game is exactly what I expected. The gameplay is passable, nothing more.
The thing that is wrong here is the price of the game compared to actual content.

-There's only a handful of missions and they're so short. You can complete the "campaign" in about 2 hours. Probably even less if you are used to playing on a Vita. (this is my first Vita game)

-Hostiles mode is boring as shit.

-The core shooting is okay but headshots are flakey and so is the grenade indicator.
Also the AI soldiers can and often will kill each other with grenades.

-The game looks like its running at sub native res... Looks blurry in a lot of scenes. Framerate is okay but as heard on twitter: its not a stable 30. Sound is pretty good though. Menu music is from blops 1 :)

I haven't been able to play it online yet. Matchmaking doesn't find anyone. I guess it's too early.

Overall I'd rate this 5/10 considering it's a full price game.

Zen

Banned
yet

I wouldn't be surprised if SCE dropped some dough for AC, and CoD. It would make sense given how misguided they've been with Vita thus far.

They absolutely should have dropped some dough for these two titles, though the CoD project shouldn't have been its own game, rather a cross play version of the multiplayer of the most recent game. The Vita should be the everything device, with strong mobile support, small unique games that are truly built around the hardware, and yes, iterations of big console franchises. Just look at how many people were excited for the Need for Speed port.

Capcom's handheld lineup thus far:

3DS
Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
Nazo Waku Yakata (Japan-only)
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
Monster Hunter Tri G
Resident Evil: Revelations
E.X. Troopers (Japan-only)
Monster Hunter 4
Ace Attorney 5
MegaMan Legends 3 (Canceled)

Vita
Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
Street Fighter X Tekken

That really says everything.

Considering the success they've had on the PSP, their complete abandonment of it seems really odd.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You are comparing a port made by Sega, a company that has been in this industry for a long time with a large budget. Declassified is built upon Burning Skies, by a small developer who has had terrible luck with making games to only get mediocre review scores. Give Nihilistic a break, if you wanted the game to be 1:1 to the console versions, then complain to Activision or Sony. They could have found a more experienced, bigger studio to work on this.

I'm happy with what Nihilsitic did, and I am sure I will enjoy this game for awhile. This is coming from a guy who played nothing but Burning Skies the week it released and still jumps into a few online matches from time to time.
You really think the Vita port had a large budget from Sega?

I'm not sure why you're apologizing so much for on the behalf of Nihilistic.
The fact that you seem to have loved Buning Skies so much says a lot though.

The game looks decent now that early release impressions had to be posted since no one else bothered. At least a whole lot better than the Burning Skies trash.
Lack of features will make me wait for a sale though.

Edit: New impressions above...... Yeah. Seems MP was the focus of this game, and yet it seems like it wasn't.

Impressions :

The thing that is wrong here is the price of the game compared to actual content.

-There's only a handful of missions and they're so short. You can complete the "campaign" in about 2 hours. Probably even less if you are used to playing on a Vita. (this is my first Vita game)

-The core shooting is okay but headshots are flakey and so is the grenade indicator.

-The game looks like its running at sub native res... Looks blurry in a lot of scenes. Framerate is okay but as heard on twitter: its not a stable 30. Sound is pretty good though. Menu music is from blops 1 :)

I haven't been able to play it online yet. Matchmaking doesn't find anyone. I guess it's too early.

Thanks for the honest opinion

Iacobellis

Impressions :

How did you play it?

Impressions :

2 hours! thats shocking dude..

The DS games had a real single player mode.

Lyte Edge

Not to nit pick, but $49.99 is not $59.99

So knock it up $10 worth of rating :p

It's a Vita game. They don't sell for $59.99.

Vita games don't tend to sell for $49.99, either- it's $10 higher in price than usual.

Skyzard

Banned
Impressions :

Figured, thanks for sorting that out. Absolutely waiting for a price drop (UK) before enjoying all 6 of the maps later.

Considering the success they've had on the PSP, their complete abandonment of it seems really odd.

Why? The 3DS can now do what they liked doing on the PSP. Meanwhile Capcom made the PSP successful NOT Sony; they were directly competing with Nintendo but now Capcom are partnered with them.

Capcom don't want a Sony handheld to compete with. They want a single handheld market to sell Monster Hunter to as oppose to a competitive split market.

Them backing Sony would basically be creating extra costs for themselves.

If Capcom felt they'd lose customers by not supporting Vita then they'd support it. Vita's sales meanwhile show their strategy has paid off; Sony offer nothing to the handheld market and have zero power.

They'll do better with just the 3DS on the market and know that MH is powerful enough that Nintendo won't take advantage of their position.

More likely than backing Sony would have been a Capcom handheld as they don't make any money from basically selling Sony's console for them. But thats not the business Capcom are in and again they'd be competing with Sony (Capcom want to sell Monster Hunter to the traditional Nintendo users as well as the PSP users).

Takao

Banned
They absolutely should have dropped some dough for these two titles, though the CoD project shouldn't have been its own game, rather a cross play version of the multiplayer of the most recent game. The Vita should be the everything device, with strong mobile support, small unique games that are truly built around the hardware, and yes, iterations of big console franchises. Just look at how many people were excited for the Need for Speed port.

They honestly shouldn't have dropped money on those if they did. There were AC and CoD games on PSP and they did jack shit. The Final Fantasies, Gran Turismos, Grand Theft Autos, God of Wars, Metal Gears, and yeah, the Monster Hunters of the world sold PSPs.

TheMink

It's a Vita game. They don't sell for $59.99.

Vita games don't tend to sell for $49.99, either- it's $10 higher in price than usual.

True, but a "full priced game" is $59.99

$49.99 is high for a vita game, but regardless its not as expensive as a console game, therefore the comparison isnt 100% accurate.

test_account

XP-39C²
Game looks great don't get me wrong.
But I lol'd at a one hour campaign.

If you aren't around wifi, this game is basically useless...
There is always the replayability, especially with the Hostile mode. I hope/assume that you can play it offline, improve the score and still register the score when you connect online later on.

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah but hostiles pales in comparison to the replayability of bots.

And when you have online...6 small maps...

CS maps were pretty decent in size and I've had lots of great 5v5 on that. Half of nukehouse on a 4v4...? And no hardcore mode? Come on, that would have taken 2 hours to implement! copy and paste, hide hud, turn on ff, hurr durr add a menu option. £20...maybe £25 now tbh, not even £30. I'm sure loads will buy it anyway. Hopefully they'll get so mad they'll be forced to add new things to it. >:<

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah but hostiles pales in comparison to the replayability of bots.

And when you have online...6 small maps...

CS maps were pretty decent in size and I've had lots of great 5v5 on that. Half of nukehouse on a 4v4...? And no hardcore mode? Come on, that would have taken 2 hours to implement! copy and paste, hide hud, turn on ff, hurr durr add a menu option. £20...maybe £25 now tbh, not even £30. I'm sure loads will buy it anyway. Hopefully they'll get so mad they'll be forced to add new things to it. >:<
Yeah, i just ment to the "1 hour campaign". Even when offline, there is still more replayability than that 1 hour :)

test_account

XP-39C²
Ah I see yes. Still..low standards :p Or maybe just a big COD fan. Hoping you don't get bored of MP too quickly..
Personally, at this point i'm actually just as excited for Black Ops 2 and Declassified, or perhaps even more excited for Declassified actually, and i'm coming of with about 500 hours of online play in Modern Warfare 3. With Blacks Ops 2, i know about what to expect, but with Declassified i have no idea, that is why i'm a bit more excited for it. I'm pretty sure that Black Ops 2 will get the most playtime for my sake, but i'm still very curious about how fun Declassified will be online :)

Lyte Edge

I normally wouldn't post in this thread, but... you do know that portable MH is the biggest third-party franchise in Japan, right?

Of course I know how popular it is. :p

The PSP had it before... and can you tell me any other Capcom games that came out for the system besides MH in past few years? They released MH on PSP and more Ace Attorney (plus Ghost Trick) games on DS. And...there ain't much else.

True, but a "full priced game" is $59.99

$49.99 is high for a vita game, but regardless its not as expensive as a console game, therefore the comparison isnt 100% accurate.

lolwut

It is MORE expensive than any other game on the platform!

Lyte Edge

Man this looks freaking fun. The missing modes be damned!

I guess it's just low expectations, but I just want something that has better MP than Resistance and this game seems to be a noticeable improvement.

TheMink

I guess it's just low expectations, but I just want something that has better MP than Resistance and this game seems to be a noticeable improvement.

Resistance was fun up to the point everyone realized that the only weapon worth using was the shotgun lol.

Iacobellis

Personally, at this point i'm actually just as excited for Black Ops 2 and Declassified, or perhaps even more excited for Declassified actually, and i'm coming of with about 500 hours of online play in Modern Warfare 3. With Blacks Ops 2, i know about what to expect, but with Declassified i have no idea, that is why i'm a bit more excited for it. I'm pretty sure that Black Ops 2 will get the most playtime for my sake, but i'm still very curious about how fun Declassified will be online :)

I feel the same way, and will most likely cancel my BO2 preorder. It's grown too stale for me after four years, they are really beginning to feel the same.

Skyzard

Banned
^ Beginning? :p I even had friends who were still playing and I had to tear myself away it was just a mess later on... too random/chaotic and not at all the CS replacement it originally felt like with COD4 - that's why I didn't really mind the lower player count in this version at all..hopefully more skillful/fun games to be had (not in half of nukehouse though :p). Basically felt it was turning into quake 3 but without the mechanics/abilities to deal with the faster gameplay.

Played my copy of black ops 1 about 10-20 times..(when it first came out)

Iacobellis

^ Beginning? :p I even had friends who were still playing and I had to tear myself away it was just a mess later on... too random/chaotic and not at all the CS replacement it originally felt like with COD4 - that's why I didn't really mind the lower player count in this version at all..hopefully more skillful/fun games to be had (not in half of nukehouse though :p). Basically felt it was turning into quake 3 but without the mechanics/abilities to deal with the faster gameplay.

Played my copy of black ops 1 about 10-20 times..(when it first came out)

Black Ops is probably my third most played, ahead of MW3, but behind 4 and MW2.

Ran rp

I'd love a port of MW. That was by far my most played CoD game.

This could potentially by my second most thanks to the portability of the Vita and free online multiplayer.

But that $50 price tag...

Iacobellis

PSY&#12539;S;44229763 said:
I'd love a port of MW. That was by far my most played CoD game.

This could potentially by my second most thanks to the portability of the Vita and free online multiplayer.

But that $50 price tag...

Uncharted was $50. This offers more replay value in my opinion.

Ran rp

Uncharted was $50. This offers more replay value in my opinion.

Golden Abyss was different. It was 1) developed by a developer with a great track record. 2) A technical marvel for the system. 3) Part of Sony's biggest new IP of the generation. I'd rank it the second best of the series, after U2.

Also, I didn't buy Golden Abyss at full price. Although I feel it's worth the $50 I don't feel comfortable paying that much for a handheld game.

Declassified is none of the things I mentioned above. Declassified may offer more replay value but that doesn't automatically make it worth $50. IMO, of course.

Iacobellis

PSY&#12539;S;44230435 said:
Golden Abyss was different. It was 1) developed by a developer with a great track record. 2) A technical marvel for the system. 3) Part of Sony's biggest new IP of the generation. I'd rank it the second best of the series, after U2.

Also, I didn't buy Golden Abyss at full price. Although I feel it's worth the $50 I don't feel comfortable paying that much for a handheld game.

Declassified is none of the things I mentioned above. Declassified may offer more replay value but that doesn't automatically make it worth $50. IMO, of course.

Call of Duty does carry a bigger name than Uncharted, though.

Ran rp

Call of Duty does carry a bigger name than Uncharted, though.

Sorry I saw your post before the edit and was confused about what you were saying. Yes, I know that CoD is a bigger name than Uncharted, but that means little when Activision and Sony (supposedly) haven't made much of an investment in the development of Declassified. It's a spin-off developed in a shockingly small time-frame by a developer who may very well be talented but had constantly failed to prove themselves. I am impressed with how far they've been able to polish the game since its initial (and late) reveal but the game's history has still been a sad one so far. Uncharted on the other hand is Sony's baby. They put a proven developer behind the title and made sure it blew minds from the get go.

The CoD name may help with sales but it doesn't make the game itself worth the current asking price.

I had the chance to play this at the Sony booth @ gamesweek in Milan, it actually played much better than e expected, sadly I'm no Elite so my point of view can't say much to what some people are asking bere.
But so far the controls were tight, IQ was better than RESISTANCE:BR, the sprint mechanic (down dpad) is weird but it works and kills are very fast, no bulletsponge, collisions seemed ok.
The map I tried was little but in a 4 player match we had some "lost" moments.
I played it around 8-10 minutes out of curiosity, but I saw other stucking with the demo quite a bit, and some group of buddies gathering to play a match together.
The game still has so many flaws from cut content from the home console/pc iterations, but it still seems like it's fun.

test_account

XP-39C²
I feel the same way, and will most likely cancel my BO2 preorder. It's grown too stale for me after four years, they are really beginning to feel the same.
I already have both the Prestige Edition (for collection purpose) and the regular edition (the copy i will use to play) of Black Ops 2 ordered :) I hope to recieive them tomorrow, the same with Declassified. Declassified will be the first game that i try if i recieve both tomorrow.

Iacobellis

PSY&#12539;S;44231510 said:
Sorry I saw your post before the edit and was confused about what you were saying. Yes, I know that CoD is a bigger name than Uncharted, but that means little when Activision and Sony (supposedly) haven't made much of an investment in the development of Declassified. It's a spin-off developed in a shockingly small time-frame by a developer who may very well be talented but had constantly failed to prove themselves. I am impressed with how far they've been able to polish the game since its initial (and late) reveal but the game's history has still been a sad one so far. Uncharted on the other hand is Sony's baby. They put a proven developer behind the title and made sure it blew minds from the get go.

The CoD name may help with sales but it doesn't make the game itself worth the current asking price.

I see what you're saying. I hope if the game sells well enough we can see DLC and patches after Nihilistic makes their transition.

Ran rp

I see what you're saying. I hope if the game sells well enough we can see DLC and patches after Nihilistic makes their transition.

I'm not sure if Nihilistic/nStigate would be willing to support it after launch but yeah, I hope it's received well and sells enough for there to a least be another CoD Vita. I'm kind of surprised at the lack of FPS/TPS on the system.

Top Bottom