• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified |OT| Ad-Hoc Summary: It Is Not Terrible!

Game is starting to look pretty decent. As long as the frame rate is stable and only isn't a leggy mess I'm in.

Multiplayer may not have everything the console ones do but it looks more fleshed out than resistances very basic online.

No kill cams - find by me. Skipped past them anyway most of the time.

Less kill streaks and non you control - good. The kill streaks in mw2 and on we're getting stupid. I liked the basic 3 from mw1. The ones in BoD all seem like decent balanced ones.

4v4 is also fine if the maps are similar size to resistances.

I'm not say "wow it looks amazing" but it looks fun, a damn site more so than what games on showed.

I bet reviews mark it down saying "4v4 means the maps are small and you can spawn behind the person that killed you and kill them which is dumb - 6/10" yet when it's MW3 - same shit happens 9+ / 10.

I hate the way most sites review vita games. They should get people who understand portable gaming isn't just for people waiting for the bus to review them.

Player one podcast got it right when they said that if you review a vita game and say
" it doesn't look as good as the console version" then portable gaming isn't for you
If you say
"Why would I play this when I can just play it on a console" then portable gaming def isn't for you.

If you say both or just the later then you shouldn't be reviewing portable games.

I don't think reviewers will criticise it more harshly for being too expensive. After all they get them for free! The mainstream games were at £54.99 one year and it didn't seem to affect their reviews in the slightest.

If it is ridiculously short, they might use it as a hook to hang the criticism on though.

It would be a crying shame if Nihilistic nailed the CoD feel but fell at the last hurdle due to sheer lack of features and content.

Well I have seen alot of American reviewers talk about price and length. And since the trend is about comparing Vita games to console they will simply use the price as more justification.

Iacobellis

Game is starting to look pretty decent. As long as the frame rate is stable and only isn't a leggy mess I'm in.

Multiplayer may not have everything the console ones do but it looks more fleshed out than resistances very basic online.

Less kill streaks and non you control - good. The kill streaks in mw2 and on we're getting stupid. I liked the basic 3 from mw1. The ones in BoD all seem like decent balanced ones.

I'm not say "wow it looks amazing" but it looks fun, a damn site more so than what games on showed.

I bet reviews mark it down saying "4v4 means the maps are small and you can spawn behind the person that killed you and kill them which is dumb - 6/10" yet when it's MW3 - same shit happens 9+ / 10.

I hate the way most sites review vita games. They should get people who understand portable gaming isn't just for people waiting for the bus to review them.

Player one podcast got it right when they said that if you review a vita game and say
" it doesn't look as good as the console version" then portable gaming isn't for you
If you say
"Why would I play this when I can just play it on a console" then portable gaming def isn't for you.

If you say both or just the later then you shouldn't be reviewing portable games.

Hey, I review Vita games! I'll have one up for Declassified come Tuesday once I can really sink my teeth into it.

If you say

Exactly. I think the confusion comes up with the concept of "console quality" type of gaming. I think gravity rush is an example of that. It reminded me of a really fancy PS2 game (with better textures and effects of course) but if I can get a machine that is like a PS2 on the go, then I am happy.

test_account

XP-39C²
Same here, i skip the killcams 99% of the time. Killcams can be very good if you have no idea where a guy is camping or something like that. Another solution would be to make the camera aiming in the direction of the enemy after you die. This way you get a certain idea where he/she is. Many games uses this solution instead of killcam.

Exactly. I think the confusion comes up with the concept of "console quality" type of gaming. I think gravity rush is an example of that. It reminded me of a really fancy PS2 game (with better textures and effects of course) but if I can get a machine that is like a PS2 on the go, then I am happy.

It's like they think console quality gaming means graphically.

To me it mean's the game types and gameplay due to the vitas control options.

Although that term is pretty dumb to begin with. Portable just means I don't have to hog the TV / ignore my wife.

Iacobellis

Same here, i skip the killcams 99% of the time. Killcams can be very good if you have no idea where a guy is camping or something like that. Another solution would be to make the camera aiming in the direction of the enemy after you die. This way you get a certain idea where he/she is. Many games uses this solution instead of killcam.

I WILL miss the Game Winning Killcam, though. Always gave me a reason to use a sniper rifle.

Carl

Actually quite impressed with how good this is looking. Quite hope it sells well now. They seem to have done a good job with what they were given.

Iacobellis

Yeah il agree to that. Getting the final kill cam while diving off the roof and revolvering someone in the face mid air was pretty awesome.

YES! I'm missing my YouTube days already whenever I think about it. MW2 was and will most likely be my most played game on Xbox.

If you say

*high-five*

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
so you seen it already but another player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sg9FVqTWNk

it is COD imo.

I'm a little surprised how CoD it is, it has pretty much all the elements there that CoD does, the UI, gameplay, it seems to be a pretty good copy.
It's starting to look like it is a real shame they would have had to rush it out, along with a bunch of typical features missing and no Zombies, maybe if they get to do another they will have more time.

It seems like my hunch was right. This does seem like a RE Mercenaries 3D style game. Unfairly criticized for not being "the whole thing", but in the end being a great title that is tons of fun and tailor made for portable play.

I just hope that Vita owners, unlike 3DS owners are more willing to buy such games.

Iacobellis

It seems like my hunch was right. This does seem like a RE Mercenaries 3D style game. Unfairly criticized for not being "the whole thing", but in the end being a great title that is tons of fun and tailor made for portable play.

I just hope that Vita owners, unlike 3DS owners are more willing to buy such games.

This offers much more content, on a better system, for almost the same asking price. I'm getting this at $50, but waited for Mercenaries to be $20.

Kerub

Banned

It's just lacking in content. Very few maps, tons of features removed etc.

I'll buy this when (if) I can find it for cheap though.

EDIT - my opinion seem the be the opposite of the post above :)

Wasn't mercenaries full price? How is that unfairly criticized? If it was on the eshop it probably would have been reviewed better no?

And I'm not seeing any of the awesome from any of these videos y'all are. Looks about as good as your typical gameloft game tbh.

Am I missing something? Hope there is a demo at the very least. Or a fucking launch trailer :(

Wasn't mercenaries full price? How is that unfairly criticized? If it was on the eshop it probably would have been reviewed better no?

And I'm not seeing any of the awesome from any of these videos y'all are. Looks about as good as your typical gameloft game tbh.

Am I missing something? Hope there is a demo at the very least. Or a fucking launch trailer :(

I didn't say awesome, I said great, and Mercenaries was well worth full price. It's one of my most and longest played 3DS games only beaten out by MK7, OOT and RE Rev.

And to me this seems to be the same. A solid fun title that is tailor made for portable play.

This offers much more content, on a better system, for almost the same asking price. I'm getting this at $50, but waited for Mercenaries to be $20.

I won't get into an argument about better system, but I think that the games itself can be very well compared in terms of content. The SP here is basically a fun diversion, while the focus is on the MP. Well Blops has definetly more long term motivation thanks to unlocks/prestige.

It's just lacking in content. Very few maps, tons of features removed etc.

I'll buy this when (if) I can find it for cheap though.

EDIT - my opinion seem the be the opposite of the post above :)

I think that's fine enough, but for many fans of the series this should be well worth the asking price at launch. Just like with Mercenaries 3d.

Takao

Banned
By the way, is this native res?

From the way the shadows looked in some of these videos, nope.

That said, it's nice to see that the cutscenes aren't compressed as badly as Burning Skies' were, but these cutscenes might be in-game, lol.

Iacobellis

From the way the shadows looked in some of these videos, nope.

That said, it's nice to see that the cutscenes aren't compressed as badly as Burning Skies' were, but these cutscenes might be in-game, lol.

I don't care what the excuse is, Nihilistic shouldn't have done that. Make the game a few more megabytes, a pixelated mess is terrible.

Takao

Banned
The cutscenes in that were amazing. They were both letter boxed, and pillar boxed but that wasn't enough to stop it from being a macro-ed mess. I have never seen that before in a video game.

So how about Hudson in this game sounds a hell of a lot more like BO1 Hudson (Ed Harris) than BO II Hudson does.

That strikes me as a little odd/hilarious. If they're gonna change voice actors for BOII then at least make an effort to have them sound alike.

Iacobellis

So how about Hudson in this game sounds a hell of a lot more like BO1 Hudson (Ed Harris) than BO II Hudson does.

That strikes me as a little odd/hilarious. If they're gonna change voice actors for BOII then at least make an effort to have them sound alike.

Declassified takes place in between BO and BO2.

Skyzard

Banned
^ using old maps too?

Nice new footage: click 720

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzVH9XN2YyA&feature=channel&list=UL

Edit: Also what's this about cutting maps in half?:

Loving multiplayer so far. It’s an amazing experience with no lag for me (yet) and hopefully never. They’ve cut the maps in half it seems, but you can’t notice it with 4 vs 4 (unless of course you’re playing Nukehouse). To me, Nukehouse shouldn’t have been cut in half. There is one house and you can’t move past the truck in the middle. It’s a very tight map, fast paced and you’d better be prepared for respawning right next to the enemy. It’s crazy that they cut that map!

http://www.gamingvlog.net/2012/11/10/call-of-duty-black-ops-declassified-qa/

Skyzard

Banned
Maybe..he's lying/got it mixed up (he's not a dev, but the youtube video uploader) ...sounds like he knows what he's talking about though..

Iacobellis

Probably more for technical reasons than being a gameplay choice.

The Rooftops level in Burning Skies seems bigger than Nuketown cut in half, if memory serves me well. If Nihilistic did it to keep the framrate stable, then I am all for it. Other reasons and I'm a little upset.

Top Bottom