• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified |OT| Ad-Hoc Summary: It Is Not Terrible!

KINGJAMES WITNESS 23 said:
It's decent. Better than what I expected it to be, seeing it's was made by Nihilistic but it's definitely much better than Resistance. (In my opinion of course). It's a lot like Black Ops 1, except ported into the Vita. The controls are alright, but will take some time getting used to it especially knifing and throwing grenades since those require you to actually touch the screen to perform those actions. I could this being a problem for some people who would accidentally touch the screen by accident. Another difference for controls is sprinting, which happens automatically when you move your player for a certain amount of time. The Vita analog sticks are also really sensitive, but I haven't actually checked to see if you can adjust that in the options or settings. The gameplay in general though is fast paced, and I did not experience any frame drops.

Graphics could be a bit better but they're great for a portable, and it's not like Call of Duty games have the best graphics out there anyways even on the consoles.

The game modes you have are Campaign, Hostiles, and Multiplayer.

The campaign is strictly based on the events occurring between Black Ops 1 and Black Ops 2.

There is a lot of emphasis on multiplayer for the game. For multiplayer, you can prestige, make your classes, perks, etc like you normally would. Game modes for Multiplayer include Team Deathmatch, Kill Confirmed, Drop Zone, Team Tactical and Free For All, so not a lot of options but still a decent amount for a portable game. You can also do party matchmaking with your own group of friends.

Downside however is that there is NO Zombies mode, which I feel should have been included and would give them a boost in sales for both the system and the game.

I played a lot of the Multiplayer last night, and the servers were fine without any drops or crashes of the network. I got a full house, 4 v 4 every match.

Other than that, I feel its better than Resistance and I would give it a 7.5 to 8 out of 10. It's good for a first time release on the Vita. By next year they should be doing much better if they learn from some of the cons of this game.

Do I feel this game is worth $49.99? No, I don't. However, $39.99 or below, I think that is fine. $49.99 is just pushing it, but regardless because it's Call of Duty, the game will sell.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

Impressions from a member of a different forum.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/future-shop-best-buy-wal-mart-gaming-deals-nov-9-15-duty-calls-edition-1253586/4/#post15727073

LProtag

I just saw the box for the European Vita bundle. Are all of these Vitas going to have the Call of Duty logo plastered on the back? I was thinking about getting it during the black friday deals but I hate logos and stuff on my things.

Cornbread78

Will be odd stopping by GS tomorrow and picking up two copies of Black Ops at teh same time, I guess both my OS3 and VITA will be happy, but the VITA version may get stuck in VITA backlog hell, seeing as, Little Kings story is ruling my world right now.

Will be odd stopping by GS tomorrow and picking up two copies of Black Ops at teh same time, I guess both my OS3 and VITA will be happy, but the VITA version may get stuck in VITA backlog hell, seeing as, Little Kings story is ruling my world right now.

exactly how i feel.

i'm getting the care package edition (which IMO should've came with a voucher or something to get declassified) so it seems a little much to be paying 200+ just for one game

but i dont give a fuck :)

This game will not get good reviews, it looks very good but it's lacking horribly in the content department. Sure COD is all about Multi-player, but a 2 hour "campaign" and only 6 4v4 maps? And a $50 price tag to boot?

It will probably get 5's 6's and 7's, but I think it will sell well and have a substantial community, and be relatively well liked by fans (fans will probably give it an 8/10).

I'm excited for it, but it's definitely not going to win any awards.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I missed out on the $12 off NewEgg pre-order. Does anyone else have this for less than $50? Seems a little steep for a 6 hour game.

Jerrod

My newegg order shipped so I assume I'll get it tomorrow. I really don't care about the campaign or zombies, I just want that multiplayer CoD experience on the go, and hopefully if I tether my PSVita to my 4g phone and it is playable I'll be able to get that experience everywhere.

TheMink

My newegg order shipped so I assume I'll get it tomorrow. I really don't care about the campaign or zombies, I just want that multiplayer CoD experience on the go, and hopefully if I tether my PSVita to my 4g phone and it is playable I'll be able to get that experience everywhere.

Ive succesfully done that with 3G on a less taxing game. (All stars beta)
Im getting a iPhone 5 so LTE will work like a champ :)

Xater

As if it wasn't obvious enough to keep away from this game. Here is some food for thought:

bildschirmfoto2012-11slpjp.png

bildschirmfoto2012-11j4rxe.png

Skyzard

Banned
At the tweets - IGN have been douches during their vita reviews anyway, I'm sure they would have slammed this hard.

You guys know what to expect by now with this game (overpaying for the amount of content by about 2x since you are a big fan of COD and vita)

At the tweets - IGN have been douches during their vita reviews anyway, I'm sure they would have slammed this hard.

You guys know what to expect by now with this game (overpaying for the amount of content by about 2x since you are a big fan of COD and vita)

I wouldn't send it to IGN either.

fernoca

No biggie, even if they had the game on time there's no sign that that would've translated into an early review; much less about the quality of the game.

Also published by Activision, last year's Skylanders on 3DS was ignored by many sites and reviewers.
On a video preview, IGN said that the 3DS review would be ready by the end of the week (kinda implying that they had the 3DS game on time, even when on the same video they said wrong info about the game -like the game using AR codes to communicate).
Today is November 12, 2012..and the review is sitll not on the site (and neither is the review of the sequel, which was released last month) :p

SteveWD40

Eurogamer review is the only one I will read anyway, fucking lol at IGN thinking their reviews matter.

As for the delay, yeah that can be seen as a bad thing, but expectations are low anyway, if it's not shit I will be nicely surprised.

For me the lack of bots is the only killer, I can't fathom why they wouldn't put them in, it can't be that hard, fucking Trigger Fist on iOS has decent bots...

Massa

The most surprising thing here is that Arthur Gies somehow thinks this is Vita's flagship title for the Fall.

But yeah, really shitty move by Activision.

Eurogamer review is the only one I will read anyway, fucking lol at IGN thinking their reviews matter.

As for the delay, yeah that can be seen as a bad thing, but expectations are low anyway, if it's not shit I will be nicely surprised.

For me the lack of bots is the only killer, I can't fathom why they wouldn't put them in, it can't be that hard, fucking Trigger Fist on iOS has decent bots...

My problem with IGN is that they decide to use their full 100 point scale off and on it seems. And their scale is very different than other sites. to them a 5-6 is an average/mediocre game (at times though they view the same for a game given a 7), while others would reserve a 5-6 for a game that is truly bad. But they seem to never fully agree as a staff on what makes a game a 5 or an 8 or even the dumb 7.9.

As if it wasn't obvious enough to keep away from this game. Here is some food for thought:

bildschirmfoto2012-11slpjp.png

bildschirmfoto2012-11j4rxe.png

Like others have said though IGN seems to be harsh. I really never payed attention until I see the gap of review and User review opinions on Ragnarok, NFS:MW and AC:L.

I don't know if this is an indicator of general attitude towards the Vita.

No biggie, even if they had the game on time there's no sign that that would've translated into an early review; much less about the quality of the game.

Also published by Activision, last year's Skylanders on 3DS was ignored by many sites and reviewers.
On a video preview, IGN said that the 3DS review would be ready by the end of the week (kinda implying that they had the 3DS game on time, even when on the same video they said wrong info about the game -like the game using AR codes to communicate).
Today is November 12, 2012..and the review is sitll not on the site (and neither is the review of the sequel, which was released last month) :p

I heard that game sold well.

Why even bother reading reviews? Everyone one needs to know is out there.

If ya know you are buying it, the probably low scoring reviews won't change your opinion.

Probably one of the few games this year where everything about the game is known.

Cider X

Managed to get some online games going. Save your money people.
It's so bland and uninspired. Plays like something you can play on a smartphone.
It feels nothing like Call of Duty at all.
Looking forward to the reviews for this one. I hear they will be late. No surprise there.

IGN Playstation are pretty big fanboys; their not not being sent this cause their 'harsh'.
It sounds like a few people don't have a copy.

Co'mon. Don't do this. Since Skyrim, non-reviewed games are a big fucking horn screaming 'run away'.
Certainly its not a 'good' thing.

It's so bland and uninspired. Plays like something you can play on a smartphone.
Looking forward to the reviews for this one. I hear they will be late. No surprise there.

Bullshit. You're either trolling or have never played a smartphone game. Even Resistance:BS plays a hell of a lot better than any smart phone shooter could ever dream of.

Carl

IGN Playstation are pretty big fanboys; their not not being sent this cause their 'harsh'.
It sounds like a few people don't have a copy.

Co'mon. Don't do this. Since Skyrim, non-reviewed games are a big fucking horn screaming 'run away'.
Certainly its not a 'good' thing.

No BO2 reviews either yet

bigkrev

The most surprising thing here is that Arthur Gies somehow thinks this is Vita's flagship title for the Fall.

But yeah, really shitty move by Activision.

How is this NOT the flagship title? Its an exclusive entry in the biggest franchise going today.

Carl

Difference between not being sent out and not being reviewed yet.
Unless you honestly believe review copies aren't out for that?

Misunderstood what you were getting at with the Skyrim thing. Thought you meant late reviews

It will still be the best selling Vita game so far, anyway

Misunderstood what you were getting at with the Skyrim thing. Thought you meant late reviews

Ah okay yeah - no its just not having review copies; after what happened with the PS3 version am just always going to be wary over that now.

Some games I don't expect reviews for, but the ones I do and hear copies aren't going out am just someone who'd cancel their pre-order.

I'll order stuff before a review ofc, and sometimes even poor reviews won't stop me buying if I have the choice to preorder; but if appears a publisher is actively trying to hold back reviews...yeah...

It will still be the best selling Vita game so far, anyway

It should do decent in some places but am not sure if it'll be number one. But its difficult to tell with Vita.

Bullshit. You're either trolling or have never played a smartphone game. Even Resistance:BS plays a hell of a lot better than any smart phone shooter could ever dream of.
Could be due to how gun feel and level layout?

Modern combat 3 is also 60 fps.

I just wish people would go more in detail when someone says a game is stale.

You can see from the videos that saying "It feels nothing like Call of Duty at all" is a massive over exaggeration. It looks like a cod game. What about it makes it play nothing like one exactly.

With out details you post will be taken as trolling.

test_account

XP-39C²

http://www.abload.de/img/bildschirmfoto2012-11slpjp.png
http://www.abload.de/img/bildschirmfoto2012-11j4rxe.png
Similar things were said about Medal Of Honor Warfighter too, that it would be a bad game because review sites didnt get their copy before on release date (i'm not sure if IGN said it, but in general). I've been playing MOH: Warfighter since launch day and i'm glad that i bought it.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I was holding out hope for this as a savior for the vita.. I'm officially done with it and moving to the 3DS which actually has games... Anyone looking for a mint adult owned vita with 16gb card, case and stand make me a reasonable good offer and it's yours!

Iacobellis

I was holding out hope for this as a savior for the vita.. I'm officially done with it and moving to the 3DS which actually has games... Anyone looking for a mint adult owned vita with 16gb card, case and stand make me a reasonable good offer and it's yours!

Are you serious? The game hasn't even been released yet.

test_account

XP-39C²
I was holding out hope for this as a savior for the vita.. I'm officially done with it and moving to the 3DS which actually has games that i'm interested in playing. Anyone looking for a mint adult owned vita with 16gb card, case and stand make me a reasonable good offer and it's yours!
Sorry, i just had to fix that one sentence :) The Vita definitelly has games, but how interested one is in playing those game is a subjective thing of course.

Takao

Banned

I'm sorry this game didn't ease all your concerns about the viability of the PlayStation Vita, but if you legitimately thought this was going to be some savior once we saw some footage ... well.

Carl

Lol

Oh well. My Vita has treated me well since I put Uncharted: GA in it on February 15, 2012. I think it might be the system I've bought the most games for this year.

kitch9

Banned

Sadsack.

been seeing lots of joke posts recently

Top Bottom