• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified |OT| Ad-Hoc Summary: It Is Not Terrible!

I dont have exceptionally high hopes for the game. Im buying it because i play my 3DS and Vita far more than either Wii or 360. If the multi player is fun, or the game is fun then its worth my $, for what its worth. Resistance BS wasnt terrible, and if this satiates a twitch shooter itch, while looking better than the aforementioned, im happy.

It was gaming on ipad, then ipad 2, that drove toward 3DS and Vita. I loved Modern Combat 2 and 3, while they look decent enough, they are ultimately shallow Gameloft tripe, missing the core need for dedicated buttons. No amount of resizing digital controls on screen could make those more intuitive or comfortable.

I dont get overall negativity toward the Vita as of current, sure the sytem isnt selling very well, but the haters seem to use any high profile game as a martyr for negative affirmation. The negativity has become a plague to the Vita, diminishing its excellence of truly breakthrough games like Uncharted GA, NFSMW, AC3L, Gravity Rush, UMvC3, LBPVita....All delivering big on the Vita's promise, creating a home experience in your hands.

Seriously, i grew up during the original NES (high point getting SMB3 for my ninth bday in '90), if my childhood self could see todays handheld gaming, beyond my original Gameboy = wow! ts my gaming past/roots, that keep my current expectations in check, while still being mesmerized.

Things become clear, when i look at Resident Evil Revelations or Uncharted GA and the size of my portables, holding them next to the behemoth that is my 360. Seriously, im playing some cool as shit in the palm of my hand and that means absolutely everything

this. I couldn't agree more and feel exactly the same way.

Flunkie

Banned
Framerate: How is it?

Controls: How configurable are they?

Multiplayer: Lag-free?

Basically how much like the Activision seasonal update console experience is it?

Quick impressions:

Fired up muliplayer...got right in a game. Very nice if you remember how R:BS was.
Auto run is a nice touch.
Looks and feels like COD
Is it sad that I am playing this when I have BLOPS2 sealed next to me?

Seventy5

Single player is like a CoD flavored The Club with some story. It seems pretty good so far, well, the first mission. I mostly played mp, and it was CoD4 in handheld form. Definitely smoother than BS, and a pretty good weapon selection. The challenges are a little too buried in menus, but that's my only gripe so far. I would probably balk at the price, but I would have probably paid $10 to buy Roads to Victory to play on my vita anyway, so its a wash for me.

Edit: I had no lag online in a 4v4 match. Framerate seemed like a stable 30 the whole time.

Why did they have to charge $50 for this? They could have done so much better at $40, and a digital version at $36. Watch it will still probably be the highest selling Vita game to date lol. Which makes my statement a mute point I guess.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
This game is good. That's my first impression. They really got the controls down. Pretty much the best controlling fps on a handheld.

Also played a bit of the campaign. This game is hard. I went in thinking that the game's campaign is structured like other cods, but it really isn't. Each operation is a score attack stage, tied together in a narrative. The goal is to maximise the score and make a perfect run. Each operation is 5 minutes long, but what they don't tell you is that there are no checkpoints within those 5 minutes. When you die, you replay the operation. And you die easily. I have been playing on hardened difficulty for 45 minutes, and I have not yet beaten the 2nd mission. Maybe I just suck. I wouldsay that this far so far is a purer shooting experience. The focus is on reaction, accuracy and speed. There are only 10 missions, but based on my skill level, considering how many times I died and retried, it will definitely take more than 2 hours to finish. Most likely 5 or 6 hours. I shudder to think how long it will take me on veteran.

Off to play some multi. Will be back again with impressions.

Why did they have to charge $50 for this? They could have done so much better at $40, and a digital version at $36. Watch it will still probably be the highest selling Vita game to date lol. Which makes my statement a mute point I guess.

For some reason, this made me think of that funny skit from Family Guy, where a dwarf was taller than the other midgets, and felt like a king.

Just been searching YouTube for videos, filtering it to show only uploads from today.All offscreen footage obviously so the quality will vary.Watched a match on nuketown map.

4 on 4 does suck though. Why couldn't they at least make it 6 on 6.

Besides nuketown, are the maps designed specifically for 4 on 4? I hate playing matches where most of the time you're searching for other players.

Flunkie

Banned
This game is good. That's my first impression. They really got the controls down. Pretty much the best controlling fps on a handheld.

Also played a bit of the campaign. This game is hard. I went in thinking that the game's campaign is structured like other cods, but it really isn't. Each operation is a score attack stage, tied together in a narrative. The goal is to maximise the score and make a perfect run. Each operation is 5 minutes long, but what they don't tell you is that there are no checkpoints within those 5 minutes. When you die, you replay the operation. And you die easily. I have been playing on hardened difficulty for 45 minutes, and I have not yet beaten the 2nd mission. Maybe I just suck. I wouldsay that this far so far is a purer shooting experience. The focus is on reaction, accuracy and speed. There are only 10 missions, but based on my skill level, considering how many times I died and retried, it will definitely take more than 2 hours to finish. Most likely 5 or 6 hours. I shudder to think how long it will take me on veteran.

That uh, sounds different for the campaign. Not like that's what I'd buy it for anyways. Maybe it'll be better for the format.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Wait, did someone really claim the voucher? Perhaps you should try again. I double-checked to make sure it's correct. Or if someone really did claim it, please let us know.

Tried it again, says the code may not be correct or may be invalid.

I find it fascinating that someone who goes out of their way to make a Vita youtube channel, and buys the game at midnight to do an unboxing, can be such a terrible gamer.

The rig he's using to capture offscreen footage probably makes it hard to play. If it obstructs the view of the screen enough he may be trying to play by looking at the camera output which would add tons of lag. Even if it doesn't, it would be awkward to see what's happening.

I couldn't agree more. I can see myself putting way more than 2 hours into the campaign.

That uh, sounds different for the campaign. Not like that's what I'd buy it for anyways. Maybe it'll be better for the format.

Think it the single play being like Resident Evil: Mercs for 3DS. You could play each mission once and be done with it. But nobody is going to do that.

I have to say I think they really nailed it with this. Single player is a nice little collection of score attack mini games that taylor to short burst gaming. And Multiplayer is good old COD multiplayer.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Got into a free for all game finally, but got booted out after a couple of kills. Most likely server troubles, will try again tomorrow.

I still can't get into a MP game, and one crash so far. Played the first campaign mission and it felt really good. Plays a lot smoother and very different than Burning Skies IMO. Definitely better than i expected but I can already see certain things that reviewers will nitpick. I can't seem to find an option to turn off the snap on trageting in campaign mode. Anyone?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Is it? How many people take their Vitas outside of their house? They're not the most portable of handhelds.
I've seen people on the subway playing Vitas so yeah. It's not like it's much less portable than a tablet or Kindle, which I also see people using on the subway.

Obv question. People who have it: how does it compare to Resistance: Burning Skies?

IMO it controls very different, feels a lot smoother/better. But for the game itself it's seems to be a case of, "It's awesome........when it works." for me. Over 15 attempts at online, connected to one game and it was glitchy as hell. Campaign plays like butter though and lots of fun.

Obv question. People who have it: how does it compare to Resistance: Burning Skies?

people seem to like it, so there's that.

Only time i've ever played my vita on commute was with RO. Not many vita games that is decent without headphones in. Call of duty with no audio doesn't seem good.

And taking my vita out of my case and my bag... such a hassle :X

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
IMO it controls very different, feels a lot smoother/better. But for the game itself it's seems to be a case of, "It's awesome........when it works." for me. Over 15 attempts at online, connected to one game and it was glitchy as hell. Campaign plays like butter though and lots of fun.
Probably server troubles. We'll see if it improves over the week.

Top Bottom