• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified |OT| Ad-Hoc Summary: It Is Not Terrible!

Probably server troubles. We'll see if it improves over the week.

LOL. I remember thinking the same thing when Resistance: Burning Skies would rarely connect to a game at launch. It was so frustrating but I still played the shit out of it. Hopefully we don't have to wait 6 months for any kind of patch improvements like BS.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Ready to Whore Vitabros!

FLZj4m.jpg

Obv question. People who have it: how does it compare to Resistance: Burning Skies?

I had high hopes for resistance. But was disappointed as most were.

This is leaps and bounds better. It feels like COD in you hands. Is it perfect? No. But it's hard to believe they came from the same developer in such a short time. Who knows, maybe Burning Skies sucked like it did because they put zero effort into it because they were busy working on this.

BTW, I have played about 5 games of multi in the past hour with no issues. Connecting or lag wise. Nuke House is a complete cluster fuck of spawn/die unhappiness. They really need to open that level back up. The other levels I played felt great.

Wow, positive impressions. Wasn't expecting that. But I'm glad to read the positivity, Vita needs it.

I would think the people spending $50 for it at midnight would think overly positivly of the game, even if it is just ok. It's like the folk that go to get Halo 4 at midnight are bound to think more positivly than the folk that wait until the next time they go out to pick it up.

Jb

I would think the people spending $50 for it at midnight would think overly positivly of the game, even if it is just ok. It's like the folk that go to get Halo 4 at midnight are bound to think more positivly than the folk that wait until the next time they go out to pick it up.

I really doubt the people picking up Declassified at midnight are nearly as enthusiastic and invested in the franchise as the Halo fans picking up 4.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
It's Twitter, did you expect an essay?
Yeah, I expected an essay on Twitter.

Nah - just given he's broadcasting this stuff out to 20k followers, I kinda thought he would explain why he thinks the game isn't worth getting - especially given some of the (surprisingly) positive impressions. The negative reception to this game has been like a pile-on.

fernoca

Well, some really quick impressions after playing the first 'Operation' and one online-multiplayer match.
It looks, plays and sounds like the first Black Ops..for better or worse. Then again, I really liked the first one so I may be biased. :p

Some may say is the lowered expectations, then again is not like I was expecting a disaster or even a bad game. I was surprised by how good it looks actually. Better than Burning Skies, cleaner too. Controls felt familiar, so no problems zooming-in an shooting and moving around. Like also how you earn experience through all modes (though each is separate -i.e. offlien XP is not shared with the online XP).

Online was a blast. Connected on my first try and played an 8 players/Team Deatmatch at Nukehouse. Felt the same as BO, which was cool (and died a ton too, even when our team on and I ended iwth the most kills too. :p) ..but more hectic as it's basically just the half of Nuketown.

Overall, it's what I said some days ago. The game is what I expected (short quick missions, tons of shooting) in a Black Ops-themed game.; though it looks better than I expected. Really pleased with the pruchase. :)

Also tried 'Roads to Victory'. This one looks and plays mroe like the original Call of Duty games set in the 40s.Playing it with the face buttons set to the second analog, so aiming around with it is easier than using facebuttons (which was one of the complaints of the original PSP version/reviews back then). May play it on and off, but was a nice extra.

Now to play some Black Ops II, before going to sleep (4:00am right now, arrived from work at 2:30am); to go back to work again. Oh well. :p

Kazerei

Banned
So far I've played 5 of the Operations missions. One mission was on a timer and only 2 minutes long, the other missions were 5-7 minutes long.

I'm gonna save the rest of the Operations missions for tomorrow :p

There are really no checkpoints for the campaign?

Yes it's true, because they are so short anyways.

MisterC20XX

Alright, I just got into (and was able to finish) two free-for-all matches. This feels like a mini me black ops and I say that's a good thing. The controls are surprisingly smooth and the framerate is good. It does take some getting used to movement since the draw is so different on the Vita's thumb sticks (this might be something I just need to tweak to my personal taste in the sensitivity settings). I'm glad an "always sprint" option was built in, that was a smart move. The graphics look good to me. Nothing spectacular but definitely an improvement over Burning Skies. The sound of guns firing, overall sound effects, music, activity queues etc. all sound good. The two maps I played were pretty small and made for some cramped, awkward, spawning at times but the smaller map size also created it's own tension that was fun and hectic. Based on everything I'd heard leading up to today I was worried about this game. Now I can honestly say Nihilistic pulled it off. It has it's compromises, but overall I'm impressed to be playing this on a handheld.

kitch9

Banned
Is it? How many people take their Vitas outside of their house? They're not the most portable of handhelds.

Car/bus/train/plane/van journeys do they not exist?

I can't play on my PS3 or PC whilst taking a shit, or the Mrs is reading a book in bed either....

What's your point?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I live in Singapore. I picked up the game in a balmy afternoon.

Sporran

I would bet most picking it up at midnight are also picking up Blops2 for the other format.

Robertto

Neo Member
i feel like i might be watching some serious Stockholm coolaid being drank.

i think its pretty obvious why someone picking up the game would be disappointed. even if some youtube videos make it look playable (IMO off screen footage makes vita games look better, because you cant see all the aliasing) , the actual feature list and scope of the game for $50 is pretty pathetic.

i think this thread because of all the "no sorries" and initial shitty trailer, had its expectation set so low for so long, and now that it appears that it may be a bit better than we all thought, i think we have a very skewed opinion if the game. where as the a regular objective consumer would pick it up, and laugh at what is still overall a very inadequate product.

BTW i purchased this weeks ago because im a cod head :}

MisterC20XX

But, but.. it only cost me $29.99 thanks to Sony's spend $100 get $20 back deal. ;-)

Hanmik

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11...+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Where Is the Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified Review?

So, you've seen the Call of Duty: Black Ops II review over on that fancy Xbox 360. Now, you want to know how the PlayStation Vita title Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified turned out. Sadly, we don’t know. We don’t have copies of the game. An Activision representative said we should have COD Vita tomorrow, but even if that doesn't happen, we’ll walk over to the store and pick up.

Then, we’ll get to playing and get you the review as fast as we can.

damn.. has any site posted a review yet..?

Alright, i've finally been able to connect to a few lobbies and play a bunch of matches. I'm having tons of fun, things get really intense, it's wayyyyyyyyy better than Burning Skies. Sure most people will call it an OK game, but it's definitely the best portable online shooter to date, and the controls are a big part of that.

SSReborn

So glad other people are finding some enjoyment in the game. Didn't want my positive impressions from the Playstation Holiday Event to turn out completely opposite from what everyone else thinks. I really do think my initial lower/negative expectations helped me enjoy the game more.

Alright, i've finally been able to connect to a few lobbies and play a bunch of matches. I'm having tons of fun, things get really intense, it's wayyyyyyyyy better than Burning Skies. Sure most people will call it an OK game, but it's definitely the best portable online shooter to date, and the controls are a big part of that.

Good enough for me, thought Burning Skies was a mediocre game. Does the game have an online pass?

Takao

Banned
So, did the guys who bought the PSN version get the PSP game? $49.99 without the game seems like an incredibly horrible thing to do given it has no resale ability.

So glad other people are finding some enjoyment in the game. Didn't want my positive impressions from the Playstation Holiday Event to turn out completely opposite from what everyone else thinks. I really do think my initial lower/negative expectations helped me enjoy the game more.

It does seem like the biggest thing against this game is the price.

If you ignore that. Everything else seems fine.

I'm guessing 6... Or 7 tops. The main complaint would be lack of content.No value for money.

i just want it for the multiplayer. I mean the "no value" could be said about Battlefield and COD series as a whole too.

But as long as the multiplayer is fun and keeps going, it's worth the money.

Top Bottom