• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified |OT| Ad-Hoc Summary: It Is Not Terrible!

i just want it for the multiplayer. I mean the "no value" could be said about Battlefield and COD series as a whole too.

But as long as the multiplayer is fun and keeps going, it's worth the money.

I meant as there's no campaign mode.Generally they ship with it.But I agree, multiplayer is the main draw.

looks like the game style is half way between MW1 and BlOps which sounds good to me. I think MW1 was my fav and BlOps added a few nice things.

So happy there is no dumb shit like attack dogs and manable choppers in this. One of my bigger gripes with the later CoD games.

Look forward to getting this after work as long as its on the UK store by then.

As far as the price is concerned. I will prob play the multiplayer a lot. That will make it worth its value. I paid £35 for AC:Lib (most were selling it for £39.99 same as CoD) and got about 10 hours off it. Felt a bit ripped off with that one. This should get a lot more play time than that so im fine with its price.

There isnt a single CoD game out that is worth release price for only single player. Thats what renting is for.

Robertto

Neo Member
i just want it for the multiplayer. I mean the "no value" could be said about Battlefield and COD series as a whole too.

But as long as the multiplayer is fun and keeps going, it's worth the money.

On the value for MP, the new cod has 13 new maps, vita for $10 less has 5 maps? all of which are very small, simple, and made with old assets

Twinduct

Lol well if the price point wasn't an issue in reviews before, I imagine that it will be now. So whose responsibility is it to provide review copies, Sony Or Activision?

Sony showed the game during a presser so don't imagine that they would not want it reviewed. Activision only recently started to acknowledge the existence of the game

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

As much as people like to trash the single player offerings in CoD games, please don't lump it into the same category as Battlefield's. Call of Duty single player modes are actually playable.

As much as people like to trash the single player offerings in CoD games, please don't lump it into the same category as Battlefield's. Call of Duty single player modes are actually playable.

MW1 was the only one with a good single player. MW2 was a total mess of a campaign. BlOps was a bit better and BF3's campaign was on a similar level. I didnt hate it but didnt love it either. It had some horrible bits and some good bits.

Regardless. None of them are worth full price for the single player alone.

industrian

MW1 was the only one with a good single player. MW2 was a total mess of a campaign. BlOps was a bit better and BF3's campaign was on a similar level. I didnt hate it but didnt love it either. It had some horrible bits and some good bits.

MW1 and Black Ops had brilliant single players with intriguing storylines and good characters. MW3 was great and MW2 was decent enough. Everyone else may have differing opinions but they held my attention long enough for me to complete them respectively in single sittings - where at no point did I stop playing them because of frustration, bugs, etc and in retrospect I didn't feel like it was time wasted. Battlefield 3's single player on the other hand... I have no idea where I stopped playing as the entire experience felt like a chore.

Regardless. None of them are worth full price for the single player alone.

I'm not questioning this at all, friend. :)

Ever since United Offensive the meat-and-potatoes of CoD has been the multiplayer experience. And unless DICE feel like making an incredibly expansive, open and "real-feeling" warzone for their single-players then they should just leave it alone. Or at the very least not try to ape the CoD formula.

ah the map sizes similar to resistances? as I think those worked fine for me.

I always like the smaller maps in CoD games. Bigger maps are for games like BF (which I also liked) and CoDs gameplay suits constant action.

test_account

XP-39C²
I didnt get my copy today :(

On the plus side though, i got Black Ops 2. And the store where i bought it sent it one day later than planned, so they couldnt guarantee that i would have it at launch date (i did, but not for Declassified however). Because of that, they gave me voucher for 50% off on GTA5, and i was going to buy that game anyway :)

industrian

Hey guys, because I love you all, I uploaded a gameplay video of the second mission.

I must have played the 2nd mission a dozen times before I acquired this level of proficiency. I am not the best COD player, so don't judge me ;)

Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified Vita Gameplay

What's the deal with the single-player EXP? Is it a unified system with the multiplayer or a completely different system for single-player unlocks?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
What's the deal with the single-player EXP? Is it a unified system with the multiplayer or a completely different system for single-player unlocks?

To be honest, I have no idea what they do. Maybe you need to be high enough level to go to the next mission, but so far, I can proceed to the next mission when I am done with the current one. Multiplayer levels are different.

Ran rp

i feel like i might be watching some serious Stockholm coolaid being drank.

i think its pretty obvious why someone picking up the game would be disappointed. even if some youtube videos make it look playable (IMO off screen footage makes vita games look better, because you cant see all the aliasing) , the actual feature list and scope of the game for $50 is pretty pathetic.

i think this thread because of all the "no sorries" and initial shitty trailer, had its expectation set so low for so long, and now that it appears that it may be a bit better than we all thought, i think we have a very skewed opinion if the game. where as the a regular objective consumer would pick it up, and laugh at what is still overall a very inadequate product.

BTW i purchased this weeks ago because im a cod head :}

I never really cared for the extra modes and features of the recent CoD games. The single player campaign and basic multiplayer are all I really need. I even enjoyed playing n-Space's DS games for a while.

Declassified looks like fun to me but I just need it to be a little bit cheaper. Like $39.99
or less.

Robertto

Neo Member
PSY・S;44288524 said:
I never really cared for the extra modes and features of the recent CoD games. The single player campaign and basic multiplayer are all I really need. I even enjoyed playing n-Space's DS games for a while.

Declassified looks like fun to me but I just need it to be a little bit cheaper. Like $39.99
or less.

thats my whole point, even if the game is mechanically fun to play. I dont think you could come in fresh and objectively say "oh for $50 this is great!" with the 5 small maps, and limited SP.
It may service your needs well, but i was just rationalising the incoming (and totally reasonable) critical bashing this game will receive from the press and broader public.

PS my copy can come soon enough :]

Carl

User reviews will be positive. Site reviews will slate it. Its pretty obvious.

Luckily I take more from user reviews. Read a lot of them, take the score they gave with a pinch of salt and its pretty easy to see if its for you or not.

I only ever take notice of user reviews. And i usually just go with what i want anyway.

If i like the look of a game, there is rarely anything that will make me not buy it. Hell, i bought HAZE despite the bad reviews and loved it. Same with several other games.

Pooya

I find it funny that most of those user reviews, only have one review and that's Declassified.

Since when Meta user reviews are trustworthy? :p

Carl

Jesus it is £45 on PSN... WTF?

They jacked the price up... it was £39.99. The scrolling ads still say £39.99 too.

I took a screenshot earlier

8181959454_838970e808_b.jpg

Kazerei

Banned
Alright, I've gone through almost all the single-player content (Operations, Time Trials, Hostiles). Haven't played multi-player yet, but this is what I think so far.

The FPS engine is solid and the controls work well, including the touch controls. Feels very much like a portable COD game. But with little content, boring level design, and poor enemy AI. There's 10 Operations missions (~3-8 minutes long), 5 Time Trial missions (~0.5-1 minute long), and 6 Hostiles missions (as long as you can last). Of course there's replay value in getting high scores, but I'm not really feeling driven to replay the missions. Mainly 'cause they're not so great.

The levels are linear, as expected, but they're also cramped, lacking variety, and devoid of any creativity. The enemies don't do much except run into position and stay there, or sometimes they run right toward you. There's also a few occasions when the enemies spawn awkwardly close by, which is weird, but whatever. If you just want some mindless fun, Declassified is satisfying enough. It's just kind of a shallow, paltry single-player experience, much more so than other COD games.

I imagine the multi-player experience in Declassified is somewhat deeper. Not nearly as feature-rich as the console versions, but it's the best portable option, which is unfortunate.

Ran rp

I like how this review compares BLOPSII and Declassified to the iPad and iPad mini.

A good analogy for this would be that Black Ops liberation compared to Black Ops 2 is like the Ipad mini vs the Ipad 4th gen, its smaller, less graphically impressive, yet holds all the joy of the larger version in a smaller package you can bring anywhere you want. Extremely impressed and very pleasantly surprised by Nihilistic. Great job!!!

Ran rp

A PS Vita Legend, y'all.

My only dissapointment about the game was that Search & Destroy and Domination was not included in the game modes, with these game modes the game would of easily been a PS Vita legend.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, i noticed the price increase too. First it was priced at the same level as Assassins Creed: Liberation, at least in my PS Store. Now CoD is priced a bit higher.

i feel like i might be watching some serious Stockholm coolaid being drank.

i think its pretty obvious why someone picking up the game would be disappointed. even if some youtube videos make it look playable (IMO off screen footage makes vita games look better, because you cant see all the aliasing) , the actual feature list and scope of the game for $50 is pretty pathetic.

i think this thread because of all the "no sorries" and initial shitty trailer, had its expectation set so low for so long, and now that it appears that it may be a bit better than we all thought, i think we have a very skewed opinion if the game. where as the a regular objective consumer would pick it up, and laugh at what is still overall a very inadequate product.

BTW i purchased this weeks ago because im a cod head :}
I wouldnt say that it is a skewed opinion. The reason why we (or many people at least) have this opinion is because of lowered expecations after the initial trailer and info about the game, as you mentioned. Because of that, we form another opinion than what we intially had, but it isnt skewed in my opinion, the opinion only changed due to initiall lowered expecations. I understand what you mean though :)

By the way, for this to be a case of Stockholm Syndrome/coolaid, it would mean that people think the game looks good mostly because they feel sorry for the developers. I just had to mention that, sorry to sound a bit pedantic about it :)

Top Bottom