• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified |OT| Ad-Hoc Summary: It Is Not Terrible!

mauaus

I stared at the checkout page for an hour with my $20 credit from last months promo and i decided to pull the trigger. Gonna play a lot tonight, feel free to add me bros

Iacobellis

Getting this in a few hours, I cannot wait any longer!

Does the bundle in the US have the logo on the back of the Vita? Friend wants to know.

I hope this game ends up with some kind of DLC. I'm having a blast with the multiplayer but little things like custom sights, weapon camo, like 2 more maps, would just push this game over the top. Controls are a little swimmy at times but on the whole it's a great experience and if you really like CoD and have a Vita you should buy this.

Downloading this on Steam at the moment. Dunno why, I haven't been able to get into a COD game since the original Modern Warfare. I rented MW2 but it didn't really wow me, and I skipped Black Ops and MW3. Something about this one looks intriguing though- hopefully I don't end up regretting it.

Iacobellis

Downloading this on Steam at the moment. Dunno why, I haven't been able to get into a COD game since the original Modern Warfare. I rented MW2 but it didn't really wow me, and I skipped Black Ops and MW3. Something about this one looks intriguing though- hopefully I don't end up regretting it.

Change the thread title and people still get in here?

Iacobellis

Nihilistic just confirmed it's up to Activision to support this game once they become nStigate. We can expect a second patch before then.

jMh1uk6CG2AJQ.png

After all of the disappointing early impressions, most of all - that nasty trailer, any anticipation I felt, was killed. As AC3:L and NFSMW arrived, I began to play my Vita more, once again falling in love with the system. It lured me away from my 3DS (no easy feat), rekindling my love affair and encouraged me to preorder some upcoming releases: PSASBR (enjoyed the beta), P4G (will be my first time with this series)....and CODBOD.

While hesitant, with COD, I figured I could cancel the preorder at any time. There was no uneasy feeling, other than its pricing and all of those hideous early glimpses.

The weekend arrived, YouTube videos began to emerge. I couldn't believe what I was witnessing. Nihilistic couldn't possibly pull off COD, could they? No, I thought, they couldn't. I mean Resitance wasn't complete crap, it's underpinning controls showed FPS could work well on Vita - so there was that. My fears began to ease, as more was shown - not even from the legitimate sources of Sony, Nihilistic or Activision...but from gamers who'd procured the game.

So, my anticipation was rebuilding, mixed with what could be sour disappointment if the game failed on any counts. I was afraid of being swindled.

Well: This is COD, through and through. If it barks or quacks like COD, it's probably COD.

I played the tutorial and the first mission, getting my ass handed to me, even in the lowest difficulty. I'm determined to get better and level up. I'm determined to build my skills and launch a COD assault, alongside fellow gaffers.

The game looks remarkably better than Resistance, feels far more polished and is ultimately very true to COD.

Color me impressed. I'm pissed I have to work tonight, because I'm amped to really dig deep with the game. I'm not a Vita apologist, nor am I a big COD fan. I liked MW1 and (rented) BO1...and COD3, too...but that's it.

If you like COD, you'll like this. I really hope Nihilistic agrees or is asked to flesh the game out more, because I like what the end product is. I really, really like it, actually.

It already trumps the Gameloft crap I've played on iOS (Nova 1-3 + MC 2-3). Consider Nihilistic redeemed, by me, at least.

For people who won't jump in and want to await a drop in price, that's fair enough, but consider this: is the extra $10-$20 worth missing out on the several months of enjoyment, you'd have playing it today, with your Vita friends?

I'd rather pay more and enjoy now, vs. not buying it and having to wait a long while (COD rarely drops price for a while)...

So, my early impressions bode well. It's not even close to being the pile of jank (I feared it would be), and it's very much what COD sets out to deliver.

Thought these words- would not meet pen and paper, for this game: I'm highly impressed.

minimoke

Not a bad effort from Nihlistic overall and big improvement over R:BS

So far I've played the Tutorial, Hostiles and 1 MP match (1 MP match frooze when joining)

- The controls are a little sensitive on the default settings but feel very good.
- From the 2 levels I played (Tutorial and the Snow MP Map) the textures in single player (Tutorial) seem a lot more detailed. But MP doesn't look too bad either.
- Framerate is pretty good in both single and MP.
- Lighting is very impressive in both single and MP.

I haven't played much of it, but I'm enjoying it so far:)

@aegies i think black ops declassified has finally made me glad that starcraft ghost never came out.

ouch lol. Yeah reviews not being good is pretty much a given.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah, but the single-player isn't meant to be played through once and never be touched again.
Yes, that's true for both games...?
You're supposed to replay those levels over and over to get better scores in Unit 13, and it had a crap load of levels.

Takao

Banned
Yes, that's true for both games...?
You're supposed to replay those levels over and over to get better scores in Unit 13, and it had a crap load of levels.

But a lot of Unit 13's levels were just the same map with different objectives. Nihilistic could've done that I guess.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
On the flip side unit 13s online was pointless.

Unit 13 had great offline while CoD has great online. Balances out to me.
The only bad thing about Unit 13's online aspect is that you had to beat a level in SP first to play it in MP.

Other than, I had a lot of fun with my friend online.
Blops does seem pretty fun though.

Ugh, I'm going to cave.

But a lot of Unit 13's levels were just the same map with different objectives. Nihilistic could've done that I guess.
True.

KalBalboa

Banned
@aegies i think black ops declassified has finally made me glad that starcraft ghost never came out.

ouch lol. Yeah reviews not being good is pretty much a given.

Yeah, this game was never going to score terribly high. Gies has also never been one to mince words on anything PlayStation.

Top Bottom