• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified |OT| Ad-Hoc Summary: It Is Not Terrible!

Skyzard

Banned
Am I the only one not liking this game?

Graphics are crap, noticeable stuttering in some parts of multiplayer.Sub native res with no AA or AF = poor image quality. Why is so common on Vita?

My main gripe, The controls.Just doesn't feel right- don't expect controls like the console.very twitchy and awkward, no matter how I try to adjust. I don't feel like I'm in control of the player.

I'm really struggling to enjoy this game because of the above. I really wish I can like this game.

I was up all night/ early morning reading Gaf's impressions, then I decided to try it for myself and came away disappointed.

My game is fully patched up and I still sometimes get kicked out or the game just crashes to which I have to start it up again.

The reviews are going shred this game to bits.
I'm expecting average scores of 5-6.

I will still give this game a go every now and then and hope that it gets better, but I'm not counting on it.

This helps with control of the anologue sticks substantially (if that is part of it):

PS-Vita-Hand-Grip.jpg

(CTA grip for Vita, can get them cheap from ebay).

I've read others saying it feels like COD - I've not played it yet...so not sure if the controller will solve your problem specifically...how does it not feel like cod? - is it due to 30fps instead of 60? The actual layout? Too many things it could be..

Hopefully you're not talking about dodgy anologue stick acceleration/mapping. That would be annoying! Especially with no gyro aim for adjustments in like GR. Not sure it would work with COD anyway.

Could be also about the analogue sticks of the vita being placed to closely and feeling too loose. It feels nothing like say the x360 version. How the game looks it should be running at 60fps.

If you're considering buying it, go the retail version as you can try it out and see how you like it, something that isn't possible with the download ver.

Nnamz

Banned
I'm not going to get into whether it is necessary for people (who have probably already made up their minds against this game) to get it or not.

But....

I'm enjoying it. The single player is very good for a portable system, nice and fragmented, like Unit 13. The multiplayer is fantastic. Already recorded a couple of videos, and the first one is done processing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztzj_MIJHdg

Very, very solid game, especially when teathering it to my phone on bus rides for some multiplayer on the go :)

Oshimai

First real review?

Pocket Gamer UK 4/10

Pocket Gamer UK said:
Everything about Declassified is a massive middle finger to the fans. It's a £45.00 mistake for you to make this Christmas, driven to purchase it on a wave of excitement from Black Ops II on PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

It serves no purpose but to frustrate and annoy, with lacking single player, little use of the potentially fascinating BLOPS universe, and almost totally broken multiplayer.

Skyzard

Banned
^ he spent 2 hours playing multiplayer and it seems like most of the time {edit: 1hour 55 minutes apparently ;} he was having technical issues - which HOPEFULLY get fixed ...I think his main problem was the (relatively poor) SP at £45. Surprise, surprise. :p

Is COD getting any more patches? I heard the ad-hoc/new patch is what caused all the online problems as well..

Ran rp

^ he spent 2 hours playing multiplayer and it seems like most of the time he was having technical issues - which HOPEFULLY get fixed ...I think his main problem was the (relatively poor) SP at £45. Surprise, surprise. :p

Is COD getting any more patches? I heard the ad-hoc/new patch is what caused all the online problems as well..

It'll be a shame if Nihilistic's last patch was wasted on fixing the bugs from the first. Maybe they'll do more.

^^^ Or stealth fix it, if that's possible.

Oshimai

PSY・S;44310885 said:
It'll be a shame if Nihilistic's last patch was wasted on fixing the bugs from the first. Maybe they'll do more.

^^^ Or stealth fix it, if that's possible.

they've submitted patch 1.01 and they're working on the game up to patch 1.02. after that, it's up to activision to support the game

I'm not going to get into whether it is necessary for people (who have probably already made up their minds against this game) to get it or not.

But....

I'm enjoying it. The single player is very good for a portable system, nice and fragmented, like Unit 13. The multiplayer is fantastic. Already recorded a couple of videos, and the first one is done processing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztzj_MIJHdg

Very, very solid game, especially when teathering it to my phone on bus rides for some multiplayer on the go :)

What phone do you own? My stoopid Iphone uses the wrong NAT...

Skyzard

Banned
Thanks for posting the video Nnamz, looks good.

I don't get why we can still see people spawn-flying in fps though...make them invisible until they're at the right spot. Small thing but don't see why it's still an issue since CS days!

Also thanks for letting us know they've submitted 1.02, Oshimai, glad to see there is someone there looking out for it at least a little.

@Iacobellis - perhaps the update was regional? Be thankful your online should be working well then...

spannicus

I have no complaints with having the most awesome handheld version of CoD to date. I really am satisfied with my purchase and only hope that Activision supports this game with future goodies. At the moment Declassified is my favorite of all my Vita games and the one I can see myself playing for months and that says alot. oh yeah Pocket Gamer can go take a dive with 12 inch dildo's up their asses.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So the single player is short/barebones but focus is clearly on the multiplayer. The back of the box barely mentions anything single player, in fact.

And BLOPS Declassified is...good! Much better than Resistance was. It's the best portable FPS I've ever played.

Too bad that is really not saying much.

The game is scaled-down and uses smaller maps, but that makes the eight player matches not feel so empty and the game really feels like Call Of Duty despite its flaws.

The controls are pretty well done; I had to turn the sensitivity way down and turned off the auto-run and was able to jump right in. A lot of players really, REALLY suck online and I think it has to do with the auto-run and aiming settings. If you don't adjust them, you aim all over the place.

Encountered one odd glitch (unless it was cheating somehow) where everyone on my team would respawn, immediately die, and respawn again. It kept saying that a single player on the other team was killing everyone.

But at least I was able to keep on playing-- BLOPS II already locked up my 360 once.

So the single player is short/barebones but focus is clearly on the multiplayer. The back of the box barely mentions anything single player, in fact.

And BLOPS Declassified is...good! Much better than Resistance was. It's the best portable FPS I've ever played.

The game is scaled-down and uses smaller maps, but that makes the eight player matches not feel so empty and the game really feels like Call Of Duty despite its flaws.

The controls are pretty well done; I had to turn the sensitivity way down and turned off the auto-run and was able to jump right in. A lot of players really, REALLY suck online and I think it has to do with the auto-run and aiming settings. If you don't adjust them, you aim all over the place.

Encountered one odd glitch (unless it was cheating somehow) where everyone on my team would respawn, immediately die, and respawn again. It kept saying that a single player on the other team was killing everyone.

But at least I was able to keep on playing-- BLOPS II already locked up my 360 once.

I really like autorun. I also settled on my sensitivity being 1 notch under default. A lot of people online do suck though.

But at least I was able to keep on playing-- BLOPS II already locked up my 360 once

Herein lies the problem with these "professional" reviews they are selective in their criticism. I bought and played online for both MW and MW2 and for the first few days those games were nearly unplayable, yet they got scores in the high 9's. Other console games that score high have frame rate issues, corrupted save bugs, and you name it. Yet if anything of the sort happens on a vita game it is automatically trashed.

Herein lies the problem with these "professional" reviews they are selective in their criticism. I bought and played online for both MW and MW2 and for the first few days those games were nearly unplayable, yet they got scores in the high 9's. Other console games that score high have frame rate issues, corrupted save bugs, and you name it. Yet if anything of the sort happens on a vita game it is automatically trashed.
hense publishers do review events :p

We already new the press will trash this. Luckily it seems they have little effect on sales these days. Resi 6 did pretty well and got destroyed. This sounds like its both selling well and being recieved well by the public.

Hopefully that will continue so the game will have an active community for a while yet.

Vamphuntr

We already new the press will trash this. Luckily it seems they have little effect on sales these days. Resi 6 did pretty well and got destroyed. This sounds like its both selling well and being recieved well by the public.

Hopefully that will continue so the game will have an active community for a while yet.

I wouldn't call doing 50% of what RE5 did in the same period "pretty well". RE5 had sold close to 1.6 million in the first month while RE6 did 800k.

Takao

Banned

Publishers have NDAs, and stuff on console games telling reviewers to ignore problems xyz because there will be a patch. Sometimes the patch exists, sometimes it doesn't.

For this game, there were no review copies thus no kind of NDAs.

Skyzard

Banned
My main complaint is how small the maps are. I prefer bigger, more open maps.

The frame rate on nukehome feels like 20fps.ugh

This stuff worries me more then anything else brought up really. And if I knew the other maps were really fun and wouldn't get stale, I'll place a retail order now - if the fps/map constraints aren't that irritating overall as well. Can always sell and go digital later when they price drop if need be.. good thing I don't have too many other retail titles. I'll only buy it if it's good enough to offer lasting fun..and if so then it probably won't leave the vita game cart slot.

And about tossing the grenades via touchscreen - unless you cook them it should be super easy with the nice positioning (I watched Nnamz throw one in an instant)...and if you are cooking them then screw you, you deserve the control disadvantage :p Also nice that everyone is on the same page so it shouldn't be an issue.

Actually it has been a while - is it hold to cook or is it for a longer throwing distance?

well... I've seen trailers and screenshots of RE6 at the very least.

Publishers have NDAs, and stuff on console games telling reviewers to ignore problems xyz because there will be a patch. Sometimes the patch exists, sometimes it doesn't.

The underbelly of gaming journalism is slowly being unveiled and it is ugly.

wow really? Never heard that one before o_O.

Slurmer

Banned
Anyone else having problems connecting to multiplayer on this? I'll get the loading screen for the multiplayer map then it just kicks me back out to the menu.

berva

Neo Member
Anyone else having problems connecting to multiplayer on this? I'll get the loading screen for the multiplayer map then it just kicks me back out to the menu.

Treyarch Studios ‏@Treyarch
The Black Ops II servers are temporarily unavailable while we kick the login servers. More soon. ^djv

fernoca

In my case, what I prefer are Objectives and Hostiles..the two modes that are solo. Multi is just a bonus to play when bored; like most games in my case. :p

So, do Digital Copies include the PSP game?
Nope. Seems it was a retail bonus. Now..some devs do give this extras to early buyers. Maybe a few might need to contact Activision.

The maps just aren’t big enough, even for 4v4, especially the cut down version of Nuketown, which consists of one house, a bit of garden and some road with a truck on it. That’s not enough for a family of four to live in, never mind 8 soldiers running around trying to kill each other.

I laughed.

btw: is it true all the games sound the same, or hyperbole?

Shinta

Banned
Ironically, not having sent out early copies to publishers may have let people come to a more accurate conclusion on their own before it was influenced by a string of 4/10 reviews.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ironically, not having sent out early copies to publishers may have let people come to a more accurate conclusion on their own before it was influenced by a string of 4/10 reviews.
There are definitely plenty of positive impressions in this thread.

Even the metacrtic user reviews seem good.

Yopis

There are definitely plenty of positive impressions in this thread.

Even the metacrtic user reviews seem good.

That's all that matters. Expect many review sites to lay the wood to this game. If for no other reason than justification, that they can give a COD game a bad review. Vita version is on the chopping block. Glad people are having a good time with this game though. Might pull the trigger later on after my blue devils play.

Top Bottom