• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified |OT| Ad-Hoc Summary: It Is Not Terrible!

TheMink

"Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified is a game. When we put it into our Vita, it worked. Pushing buttons made things happen, and at the end, words. On the scale of Not A Game to Actually A Game, we rate this Actually A Game."

Same here. I have yet to get an attack chopper though, I keep getting killed when I have a 6 kill streak. Also, stop enjoying this game, haven't you read the reviews?

I got one chopper, but i was playing suuuper conservative. I only got 13 kills, but one death so thats something.

I cry bull crap about the maps being "too small" sure nukehouse is freaking cluster, but i enjoy that for what it is.
Conversely Range and Intel are both quite large (not soooo large but in my opinion perfect size) and have open areas too.
Additionally, ive had virtually ZERO network hiccups. Its worked perfect. With the exception of a 3G tether to my phone in the middle of nowhere.
With 3 bars 3G i find its totally playable.

What a terrible game. It's one of those games that when your boss tells you that you get to review it, you think to yourself ah crap why am I the unlucky one? Given how the Vita's number one selling point is dual analog sticks, going a full year without a single good shooter and no chance for a price drop means it might as well just throw in the towel.

sly16bit

Neo Member
What a terrible game. It's one of those games that when your boss tells you that you get to review it, you think to yourself ah crap why am I the unlucky one? Given how the Vita's number one selling point is dual analog sticks, going a full year without a single good shooter and no chance for a price drop means it might as well just throw in the towel.

So the Vita is worthless if, in your opinion, no good shooters exist on the system?

Seventy5

I got one chopper, but i was playing suuuper conservative. I only got 13 kills, but one death so thats something.

I cry bull crap about the maps being "too small" sure nukehouse is freaking cluster, but i enjoy that for what it is.
Conversely Range and Intel are both quite large (not soooo large but in my opinion perfect size) and have open areas too.
Additionally, ive had virtually ZERO network hiccups. Its worked perfect. With the exception of a 3G tether to my phone in the middle of nowhere.
With 3 bars 3G i find its totally playable.
I like Intel & Shattered a lot, honestly. I wish Intel was a little more open on the one side where the trucks & road are on the console version, but I have to admit it's pretty cool running around those (admittedly scaled down) maps on my vita. I feel bad for Nihilistic, they clearly put in effort here, it's a shame they didn't get enough time to expand out the number of maps. I would love to see CTF mode and maybe 6 more maps added as DLC, but something tells me that we won't get that.

I thought you traded your vita in for a 3ds, how did you play this game?

asdad123

So I picked it up this morning and Im hooked. Itd be nice if there was a couple more maps for the multiplayer, but Im still having fun with it.

The multiplayer feels great to me and reminds me of the same call of duty I played on my Xbox (granted I havent played one since Black Ops 1).

All in all, I think this is a pretty good starting point. Im really hoping the sales are decent to warrant another one that has a full dev cycle (rumor is this was only 5 months), because with a little more time and effort, I can see this becoming pretty great.

Back to some multiplayer!

Doritosgate?

doritos.png

Enjoy.

minimoke

I'm not sure how well the game is selling on PSN, but a MP only demo with maybe 1 map would convince gamers that the reviews don't tell the whole story.

sajj316

This game had to be the sacrificial lamb to the Dorito Pope and all his evangelists

btw .. doing weekly impressions on my personal blog if anyone is interested. I'd rather have 2-3 solid weeks on the game before coming to a conclusion. I will be updating it same time next week with more detailed impressions, recommendations, etc .. figured it would be constructive than a 2 hour review of the game.

I also plan on relaying issues (posted on the blog as well) to Nihilistic so anything game breaking please PM me

http://game-anatomy.blogspot.com/2012/11/cod-black-ops-declassified-impressions.html

fernoca

This game had to be the sacrificial lamb to the Dorito Pope and all his evangelists

btw .. doing weekly impressions on my personal blog if anyone is interested. I'd rather have 2-3 solid weeks on the game before coming to a conclusion. I will be updating it same time next week with more detailed impressions, recommendations, etc .. figured it would be constructive than a 2 hour review of the game.

I also plan on relaying issues (posted on the blog as well) to Nihilistic so anything game breaking please PM me

http://game-anatomy.blogspot.com/2012/11/cod-black-ops-declassified-impressions.html
Nice.
Keeping an eye out. Is the only type of reviews I like reading. There's this Nintendo website that reviews games like that: First impressions , a few days later and the conclusion with a score. Can't remember the name , but wish more sites adopted that instead of the usual race to see who posts the first review.

sajj316

Nice.
Keeping an eye out. Is the only type of reviews I like reading. There's this Nintendo website that reviews games like that: First impressions , a few days later and the conclusion with a score. Can't remember the name , but wish more sites adopted that instead of the usual race to see who posts the first review.

Ya, not a numerical guy with respect to reviews. They are my experiences. I wished more sites did that.

SkylineRKR

So the Vita is worthless if, in your opinion, no good shooters exist on the system?

I do agree with him that its glaring that the Vita does not really offer a good FPS game yet. The layout would be perfect for it. Unit 13 was a TPS, a decent one but never a big name and success. When the Vita was unveiled about everyone interested was imagining a good FPS for it.

Fact is, both FPS games that do exist are coming from the great studio formerly known as Nihilistic. The fucking worst studio they could hand these projects to.

Takao

Banned
They're getting shut down aren't they - in fact it must be the last issue? Just saying...

Nah, the US magazine is getting shut down. No word on the UK one.

well I didn't know who he was. But I think it's not that far fetched that someone from GAF posts something like this seriously.

I dunno who that OPM guy is so I won't comment on him, but the IGN fellow I mentioned has some very weird ideas and plans for Vita.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Ive played an absurd amount of online, how could this game be reviewed so badly?
I have nothing but good things to say about it.
Because it takes only a single look at footage of Black Ops 2 (or any other Call of Duty ever) and then looking at this and its features - or lack of - to realise barely any effort, budget or consideration was put into it. A game that 'focuses on multiplayer' with 6 maps, no DLC on the horizon and a developer that has abandoned retail gaming for good. Vita owners should be insulted by being thrown scraps from Activision. Shouldn't people demand better?

The Vita needed this game to be excellent. Remember when this game was going to be the one to sell masses of systems - a proper, stat-tracking CoD game on the go that could stand shoulder to shoulder with the console versions would have been great and sold Vitas. A game that made people go 'holy shit, this is awesome!' Now it's like a running joke. Being on a handheld doesn't excuse it being rushed/low on content/buggy/shit. Especially when they have the nerve to price it above nearly every other Vita game and release it on the same day as the far superior console versions.
“For the first time ever, a AAA shooter on the Vita”
Eugh.

If Activision or Sony (and yes, they are putting this game in their bundles, they're responsible too) ACTUALLY cared about more than just milking a franchise for a quick buck from unsuspecting customers you wouldn't be looking at some of the worst reviews for a big release since forever and one of the worst reviewed games of the year.

No doubt I'll be torn to shreds, but I'm pretty bummed at how this thing has panned out. Such a shambles.

What's with all the "wahhhhh everyone hates the Vita" crap? They hate an awful game. It doesn't make the Vita bad. It's an embarrassment to the developers, not the Vita.

Skyzard

Banned
Game is getting eviscerated right now. Interested to see where this game settles. The Edge review is a bloodbath.

The only comment currently at the edge review was quite funny and has a point about underselling it:

Joseph Woods said:
“There’s an old joke - um… two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of ‘em says, ‘Boy, the food at this place is really terrible.’ The other one says, ‘Yeah, I know; and such small portions.’

Forgive my ignorance of the history of this game, but is there a known reason why Activision waited so long to get development started on this game? Other than "they didn't care".

Did they have to wait for Nihilistic to finish Resistance? How long was the dev time on Resistance?

man, read reviews for this is great, And I thought reviews all sound so boring and souless these days.

Question, does the AI get less 'dumb' at higher difficulties? Or is it just the usual 'raise health raise damage of baddies'?

test_account

XP-39C²
Question, does the AI get less 'dumb' at higher difficulties? Or is it just the usual 'raise health raise damage of baddies'?
I cant say 100% for sure, but i mean to notice that on Veteran difficulty, the enemies are better of avoiding grenades (they run away from them). I didnt notice this when i played on regular, but i might not have thought about it.

The health of the enemies is the same regardless of the difficulty level, but you take a lot more damage.

Gorillaz

Yea I was just about to mention that yahoo article....The fact they even acknowledged something like this isn't good. They barely have gaming stuff on their front page.

Top Bottom