• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified |OT| Ad-Hoc Summary: It Is Not Terrible!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Colin Moriarty seemingly hates Vita and he works at IGN PlayStation.

Wait...

...this guy?

806807_colin_moriarty_large.jpg

Played 4 rounds of multiplayer - gets hectic, which means its quite fun. Nukehouse = straight mayhem. Sometimes, its fun to employ a cat and mouse strategy, too.

Really enjoyable.

fernoca

At the same time, we don't know much details about how Nihilistic ended getting this game; as if they could've "just said no".

For all we know, they were "multi-games contract" with Sony; already made two. Seeing how short the development time was, how the team went from making games based around Sony properties, to an under 8 months developed Call of Duty game; and how they'll reform as nStigate to develope mobile games; while employees are leaving voluntarily.

Recently Lightbox went through the same. Onluy that Sony and them agreed to end the "multi-games" contract early (after just Starhawk, which didn't sold that well) and as a result they had to lay off 24 people.

Purexed

Banned
I know the developer got a bum deal with development time, but this game is pure ass. This game has no content for single player, its glitchy, crash prone, and multiplayer lags out and disconnects frequently.

This game will be the beginning of the end for 3rd party Vita development. It will bomb and any developers left on the fence will jump off... pisses me off; I was really hoping for the best.

Yopis

I know the developer got a bum deal with development time, but this game is pure ass. This game has no content for single player, its glitchy, crash prone, and multiplayer lags out and disconnects frequently.

This game will be the beginning of the end for 3rd party Vita development. It will bomb and any developers left on the fence will jump off... pisses me off; I was really hoping for the best.

Maybe golden abyss 2 will happen and blow people away. Maybe another sony first party dev will showcase the vita and turn the tide. Never know man. Some things need to change for sure.

They gotta know this is a screw up on every lvl that makes them look bad. Maybe this will be the ultimate wake up call to get serious.

Actually saw a commercial for this while watching a Knicks game.. Maybe all hope is not lost! :D

Put me in the catagory of once skeptical but now pretty interested. Will pick up, or ask for it as a gift this holiday.

Qwell

Put another hour into the game again tonight, it is growing on me. I'm up to Rank 6 now, and ended my last match with 19 kills. I'm wondering if a lot of people harping on the game don't really play the Vita much to begin with. I know the controls took a little getting used to, but I just got my Vita last night so I hadn't ever used it before. After playing some Unit 13 and then going back to CoD I found I was better at it, and the controls weren't so twitchy.

I'm not sure what the people were talking about people spawning in your cross hairs. The only thing I have noticed is sometimes my teammate will spawn in front of me, but his name won't be visible for a few seconds so I take some pot shots at him.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Actually saw a commercial for this while watching a Knicks game.. Maybe all hope is not lost! :D

Put me in the catagory of once skeptical but now pretty interested. Will pick up, or ask for it as a gift this holiday.
Surprised a commercial could swing you to the positive but the wretched reviews wouldn't swing you away :p haha.

Seems a few people are enjoying either way!

Surprised a commercial could swing you to the positive but the wretched reviews wouldn't swing you away :p haha.

Seems a few people are enjoying either way!

Not so much the commercial more so the actual user reviews/impressions that got me going. It's why I love and hate Gaf..
The commercial just surprised the heck out of me! I thought this was just sent to die, but it actually seems like some minimal effort is being done.

Accoun

Maybe Gameloft should think about porting Modern Combat or NOVA to Vita and there could be some competition.
I wouldn't give the first one on PSP even 4/10 and it looked like a bad game, not a bad convertion. Considering it got a lot of 9's and 10's on iPhone, I don't trust the reviews. Are the sequels any less crap?

MisterC20XX

Damn this game, when I'm able to connect to multiplayer games it's a lot of fun, but so far I'm getting in like once for every ten to fifteen times I try. Is anyone else who actually owns the game experiencing this? Any better luck with party matches?

Accoun

N.O.V.A. It was the only one converted to PSP.

Played Modern Combat 1 (I think) demo on my aunt's iPhone some time ago, don't remember it being any better...

DiscoJer

N.O.V.A. It was the only one converted to PSP.

Played Modern Combat 1 (I think) demo on my aunt's iPhone some time ago, don't remember it being any better...

I'll confess to liking N.O.V.A. on the PSP. Is it a shameless, B-movie ripoff of Halo? Sure. But B-movies can be fun. For $5, if you want an FPS, you get your money's worth. Longer campaign than an hour, too.

I'll note that in the NA store, it has 4.03 (out of 5) score with 647 ratings. People who bought it seemed to like it enough.

Gameloft is actually listed as a PS Mobile developer, so who knows? I hope so, personally.

I wouldn't give the first one on PSP even 4/10 and it looked like a bad game, not a bad convertion. Considering it got a lot of 9's and 10's on iPhone, I don't trust the reviews. Are the sequels any less crap?

they get better (MC3 and NOVA 3). But still nothing that really draws you in. Story in them is very basic and random in places. They are a fun and cheesy distraction but that is all really. The online might work better on the vita with its controls. Hard to tell until you actually play it with said controls. However I think they prob would be pretty fun online on vita and would sell really well.

Graphically both are impressive in a "wow this is on a phone" kind of way and the high resolution gives it a crisp clean look as well which helps. Look closer and they arn't as good as you initially think but they still look nice.

Cheesy voice acting galore as well.

I spent like 69p on both. MC3 I think is a better game. However I also prefer CoD games over Halo games so it might just be that.

Damn this game, when I'm able to connect to multiplayer games it's a lot of fun, but so far I'm getting in like once for every ten to fifteen times I try. Is anyone else who actually owns the game experiencing this? Any better luck with party matches?

I find that if I get disconnected the moment it joins a game, choosing a different game type can get me in the next one.

From what I can tell if I select the same game type straight away it trys to join the same game again and therefore fails to join over and over again.

Since I started doing this I find after 2-3 attempts im normally in a game.

Still get the odd one that disconnects me half way through the game but its not that often.

Moofers

After having a weak initial impression from about 10 minutes of play, I put a couple of hours in and now I'm feeling that this game has gotten a seriously bad rep for no good reason. Well, actually there are two reasons:

-Single player missions last only an hour or so.

-Game is $10 more than any other Vita game

Those are the two problems. Yes, I'm having problems with multiplayer connections, but I wouldn't hold that against this game any more than any other online game. I think a week long grace period is pretty standard by now, so I'm not going to hold it against them.

But still, whats there is FUN. I really like it! I think this is one of those games where the review circuit just picked it out and loves shitting all over it and honestly, the game makes it easy for them in a few ways. But regardless, I am enjoying it and I think its fun. It scratches the COD itch for me and I love that I can play it anywhere which is pretty much the main draw.

Now let's see if they patch up those connection issues. I got my fingers crossed.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yea I was just about to mention that yahoo article....The fact they even acknowledged something like this isn't good. They barely have gaming stuff on their front page.
Thats crazy.
I dont think it is that crazy actually. The Call of Duty blogpost was posted about 18 hours ago. Since then, about 30 new articles or blogposts has been posted and are infront of it. Seems like the news goes relatively fast by on Yahoo.com front page.

After having a weak initial impression from about 10 minutes of play, I put a couple of hours in and now I'm feeling that this game has gotten a seriously bad rep for no good reason. Well, actually there are two reasons:

-Single player missions last only an hour or so.

-Game is $10 more than any other Vita game

Those are the two problems. Yes, I'm having problems with multiplayer connections, but I wouldn't hold that against this game any more than any other online game. I think a week long grace period is pretty standard by now, so I'm not going to hold it against them.

But still, whats there is FUN. I really like it! I think this is one of those games where the review circuit just picked it out and loves shitting all over it and honestly, the game makes it easy for them in a few ways. But regardless, I am enjoying it and I think its fun. It scratches the COD itch for me and I love that I can play it anywhere which is pretty much the main draw.

Now let's see if they patch up those connection issues. I got my fingers crossed.
Another problems is that the game carries the Call of Duty name. Because of this, people seems to have very high expectations. It is kinda understandable if someone have never seen or heard anything from the game though.

Personally, my expectations were lowered a lot after i saw the Gamescom trailer and read that it would be 30fps and max 4vs4 players. I knew at this point that it would not feel 100% like a console/PC Call of Duty game.

asdad123

Played it for a couple more hours last night online. Only had two dropped matches which isn't too bad.

Honestly, I'm really enjoying this game so far. Yeah it could use a little more polish, but it doesn't deserve the terrible reviews its getting. Yeah it's not perfect, but its not terrible either. I'm satisfied with my purchase.

It looks and feels like call of duty. I really really hope they get another shot at this because with a little more work to it, it can be awesome.

Favorite map so far is container.

kitch9

Banned
I dont think it is that crazy actually. The Call of Duty blogpost was posted about 18 hours ago. Since then, about 30 new articles or blogposts has been posted and are infront of it. Seems like the news goes relatively fast by on Yahoo.com front page.

Another problems is that the game carries the Call of Duty name. Because of this, people seems to have very high expectations. It is kinda understandable if someone have never seen or heard anything from the game though.

Personally, my expectations were lowered a lot after i saw the Gamescom trailer and read that it would be 30fps and max 4vs4 players. I knew at this point that it would not feel 100% like a console/PC Call of Duty game.

Its frustrating as the multi player seems to have a solidish base, just there's not really enough flesh on the bones.

If they announced 4 new maps and a couple of new modes it would go a long way to redeeming this game I think.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Played it for a couple more hours last night online. Only had two dropped matches which isn't too bad.

Honestly, I'm really enjoying this game so far. Yeah it could use a little more polish, but it doesn't deserve the terrible reviews its getting. Yeah it's not perfect, but its not terrible either. I'm satisfied with my purchase.

It looks and feels like call of duty. I really really hope they get another shot at this because with a little more work to it, it can be awesome.

Favorite map so far is container.

I also really enjoyed the game. But I bailed out of this thread when gaffers seem hell bent on crucifying everyone mentioning anything positive about the game. Good to see the thread has calmed down a bit. Now, at least the people who has the game can actually talk about it.

Foshy

I'm personally enjoying it a lot. Online and hostiles are very fun and exactly what I expected of this.

lol at the metascore. Ridiculous. It's flawed, but in no way a 2/10 game. I honestly believe that it would have scored higher if they didn't include a campaign at all and just had Hostiles and Online. Less stuff to shit on.
Still, I'm looking forward to Jim Sterling review of this, it's either going to be a 1/10 or a 7/10.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I'm personally enjoying it a lot. Online and hostiles are very fun and exactly what I expected of this.

lol at the metascore. Ridiculous. It's flawed, but in no way a 2/10 game. I honestly believe that it would have scored higher if they didn't include a campaign at all and just had Hostiles and Online. Less stuff to shit on.
Still, I'm looking forward to Jim Sterling review of this, it's either going to be a 1/10 or a 7/10.

I thought the single player is pretty good for what it is though. I like going through the levels on higher difficulty levels, and it is quite challenging. I also think that people who play through operations on regular and blow through it in am hour is missing the point. All in all, I am glad it is included.

Gustav

Banned
Honestly, the 2/10 reviews boggle my mind. Multiplayer is competent and absolutely solid. I have poured about 8-10 hours into it and still enjoy it a lot. Haven't touched singleplayer yet, but the multiplayer is easily 6 or 7 out of 10. Sure, it lacks content but it works fine on a mechanical level. It even feels very Call of Duty. Level design is perfectly fine for 4vs4. Not sure why people are slamming it so hard.

Honestly, the 2/10 reviews boggle my mind. Multiplayer is competent and absolutely solid. I have poured about 8-10 hours into it and still enjoy it a lot. Haven't touched singleplayer yet, but the multiplayer is easily 6 or 7 out of 10. Sure, it lacks content but it works fine on a mechanical level. It even feels very Call of Duty. Level design is perfectly fine for 4vs4. Not sure why people are slamming it so hard.
So it's ok to pay $50 for this??? Even with games like Unit 13 offering a good multiplayer experience at a much cheaper cost?

Gustav

Banned
So it's ok to pay $50 for this??? Even with games like Unit 13 offering a good multiplayer experience at a much cheaper cost?

This is completely subjective. But I played Unit 13 for about 2 hours and stopped, because I thought the games wasn't up to snuff on a mechanical level.

$50 is a steep price for CoD Vita though, I agree. Still no reason to give the game a 2/10.

It's a $50 game, for starters. That's only $10 less than BLOPS 2 on the consoles, and that game has a massive amount of content compared to the Vita game. It deserves to be crucified for that fact alone.

Then you have the list of problems that have already been discussed. So even if this game was a polished piece of work on the Vita, it's price is already ridiculous. Throw in all the problems it has, and you've got something embarrassing to talk about.

Unit 13 doesnt have a good multiplayer experience.

It has 2 player coop and thats it. Even then its just a race to complete it as fast as possible.

The price for this game isnt justified at all. But that doesnt normally come into reviews and isnt even mentioned in a lot of them.

However, many games arnt worth there cost. I have bought tons of games that I got through in 7-10 hours and thought it wasnt really worth the money but I wanted to play them regardless so just paid anyway.

Either way this games multiplayer will give me a lot of play time so I'm not really fussed.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
There's still no-one showing up on my Near playing this game (Taipei.) Strangely enough, 30 people playing Resistance: BS appeared out of nowhere.

I fully expected 6/10 reviews around the board just for sheer lack of content and price, but all these 1/5's 2, 3, & 4 out of 10's are a joke.

The actual game mechanics are very solid, and the multiplayer is very fun. It's literally the best online FPS a handheld has ever seen just from sheer lack of competition. The only other games close are Metroid Prime: Hunters (friend codes lulz) and Syphon Filter on PSP (inferior controls).

So yes if you're not interested in online MP, you're going to be extremely dissapointed, but if you do like online MP this is as good as it gets for a handheld FPS , and it's going to be that way for quite a while. It's a pretty substantial step down from console COD's but it's a huge step up from anything we've ever seen in the past.

It's a shameful cash-in game (to be expected from Activi$ion) but it's fun damn it.

Top Bottom