• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified |OT| Ad-Hoc Summary: It Is Not Terrible!

Seventy5

I wouldn't give the first one on PSP even 4/10 and it looked like a bad game, not a bad convertion. Considering it got a lot of 9's and 10's on iPhone, I don't trust the reviews. Are the sequels any less crap?

I bought the minis version on my Vita the week I got it, figuring the free version that came preinstalled on my phone wasn't that bad. I was very wrong. The minis version is a complete piece of shit. The second analog just makes the digital aiming more awful, and the graphics are a HUGE step down from even the super old iphone version. I paid $5 for it and put in maybe 20 minutes. It's so bad. 2/10

Kazerei

Banned
The review scores are definitely hyperbolic, because they're really trying to make a point here. For a game hyped up to be Vita's system seller, it's a huge disappointment. If this was just called "Generic Shooter: Declassified" it would be getting 5-6 out 10, same as Resistance BS. Instead it's getting 2-4 out of 10, to highlight how Sony/Activision really fucked this one up. I don't agree with using a review score to send a message, but that's why it's happening.

Foshy

I fully expected 6/10 reviews around the board just for sheer lack of content and price, but all these 1/5's 2, 3, & 4 out of 10's are a joke.

The actual game mechanics are very solid, and the multiplayer is very fun. It's literally the best online FPS a handheld has ever seen just from sheer lack of competition. The only other games close are Metroid Prime: Hunters (friend codes lulz) and Syphon Filter on PSP (inferior controls).

So yes if you're not interested in online MP, you're going to be extremely dissapointed, but if you do like online MP this is as good as it gets for a handheld FPS , and it's going to be that way for quite a while. It's a pretty substantial step down from console COD's but it's a huge step up from anything we've ever seen in the past.

It's a shameful cash-in game (to be expected from Activi$ion) but it's fun damn it.

These are my exact same feelings about this game. Everyone should read this.

The review scores are definitely hyperbolic, because they're really trying to make a point here. For a game hyped up to be Vita's system seller, it's a huge disappointment. If this was just called "Generic Shooter: Declassified" it would be getting 5-6 out 10, same as Resistance BS. Instead it's getting 2-4 out of 10, to highlight how Sony/Activision really fucked this one up. I don't agree with using a review score to send a message, but that's why it's happening.

pretty much how feel.

was going through the operations on my lunch break.

They have some fun cinematic moments (C4 in yo back) but this is where the main faults are lol.

I mean the Ai is dumb as a brick but it always has been in CoD games. The only bit I got to that was actually an issue was mission 9 after 3-4 attempts got right to the end. Can hear one person fireing but no bullets and cant see him. Run up some stairs. Turn around. I see him on the roof...... your asset is dead game over.... urm. Hes not. he is still hiding in the corridor. I guess I moved to far away from him.

Ho hum. Il finish it after work then get back to online. If there had been 20 more of those operations and even added 2 player co-op somehow, I think they could have got away with it. Oh well.

Its a shame its an obvious cash in as Im having loads of fun with the online and it just means activision wont support it with new maps and game modes.

The text of that EG game is very fair, really sums it up. Basically says the game has the soul of CoD but stripped of the spectacle there isn't much left. Though the 4/10 mark is rather lower than the text implies.

fernoca

Quite funny how many reviews are appearing and been posted.
When I made last years Skylanders' OT I had a really hard time finding reviews of the 3DS version to post in the OT, because even when Activision sent copies early to most reviewers (and sites were posting the loot of games/bundle/figures Activision sent them), they chose to ignore it. So, people had to rely on others (relatively positive) word of mouth about the game.

Here is like everyone's looking for way to throw more mud at the game. The 3DS version of Skylanders could also be finished in under 3 hours (there were no additional modes) and costed the same as the others ($70), but reviewers ignored the game so, no sites talked about it and people accepted the "replayability" aspect of it and moved on.

But whatever, I'm just justifying my purchase. :p

Playing a little bit of this and BOII before heading to work...untill 2am. :(
No problems with BOII neither; campaign, zombies, online..no crashes, slowdown, etc.

Yeah, because Skylanders and Call of Duty are about equal in terms of popularity and public interest. But no, it's a widespread trans-continental conspiracy against the Vita. You're right.

fernoca

Yeah, because Skylanders and Call of Duty are about equal in terms of popularity and public interest. But no, it's a widespread trans-continental conspiracy against the Vita. You're right.
Yeah, because that was my point.
Reviewers early on complained that the reason for no reviews for Declassified was because of no copies/codes been sent. For Skylanders they got copies early and still couldn't be bothered to review it.

Similar situations too:
-Published by Activision
-No much stuff of the portable version, outside a few clips/pics
-Released on a portable device
-Different to the console versions
-"High" pice tag
-Relatively short single player

Guess you're right in the popularity aspect. For Skylanders, as it was starting and there were no reviews of the 3DS version, people used the positive word of mouth as barometers and enjoyed the game too. Here "becuase it's Call of Duty", positive word of mouth turns you into a Vita fanboy that creates conspiracies about how everyone hates the Vita and this game for no reason.

But yeah, you got me! :p
Maybe I should just leave this thread as other posters did; as there's not much to "discuss" and we just go in circles over the same things.

And before leaving:
There's still no-one showing up on my Near playing this game (Taipei.) Strangely enough, 30 people playing Resistance: BS appeared out of nowhere.
Got two classes through Near. Is nice, as they're separate from the others, don't take slots from yours. The classes/names are in the language of the other person, so the two I recieved; the names were in spanish. XD

Moofers

So is there a twitter feed or some blog we can follow to check on patches/updates for this? I keep getting D/C'd from multi games during the matchmaking, and then my entire game crashes and needs to reboot if I retry or even go to another game mode.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Would "Generic Shooter: Declassified" ever come out at $50 for with 1-2 hours of singleplayer content?

I think reviewers are, in fact, reacting against the fact that they are using the COD name to peddle this. I'm fine with it.

Is the low scores that surprising? Seems every review mentions bad AI and buggy mp.

If every part is broke/ crap for the reviewer why would they score it high?

minimoke

I have a feeling that this game will sell respectably regardless of its metacritic score!

The $199 PS Vita Black Friday bundle with COD:BOD + 4GB card will attract a lot of gamers with its box art alone:)

Holy brutal reviews, Batman! You'd think that Sony would be hands-on in guaranteeing the release of a viable release in the biggest franchise the gaming industry's ever seen for their fledgling platform but.... nope. They left it to die letting Activision hand it off to an F-grade dev with no input from them whatsoever.

Lmao
"but another to fail because you accidentally slash the air when trying to call in a Killstreak"

You would have to be all kinds of special to do this. Kill streaks are right on the d-pad. Knife is touching the screen.

I sware people at IGN are terrible at gaming.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I fully expected 6/10 reviews around the board just for sheer lack of content and price, but all these 1/5's 2, 3, & 4 out of 10's are a joke.

The actual game mechanics are very solid, and the multiplayer is very fun. It's literally the best online FPS a handheld has ever seen just from sheer lack of competition. The only other games close are Metroid Prime: Hunters (friend codes lulz) and Syphon Filter on PSP (inferior controls).

So yes if you're not interested in online MP, you're going to be extremely dissapointed, but if you do like online MP this is as good as it gets for a handheld FPS , and it's going to be that way for quite a while. It's a pretty substantial step down from console COD's but it's a huge step up from anything we've ever seen in the past.

It's a shameful cash-in game (to be expected from Activi$ion) but it's fun damn it.
I think if the reviews manage to steer people away from giving Activision any money for basically saying "fuck you" to Vita owners, then mission accomplished. Buying this tells them you're OK with supporting shoddy products. If I ever try this, it'll be second hand.

Moofers

Lmao
"but another to fail because you accidentally slash the air when trying to call in a Killstreak"

You would have to be all kinds of special to do this. Kill streaks are right on the d-pad. Knife is touching the screen.

I sware people at IGN are terrible at gaming.

Yeah wtf is this? Total bullshit. Get your ducks in a row and we wouldn't "justify our purchase" by calling out your shitty review.

So I asked Anthony on twitter cuz y'all rather bitch here than just ask:

The onscreen touch button for killstreaks is where it becomes a problem.

btw: what are the controls for this game lol? The OT is cute, but it doesn't cover what changes are there for the game to be mapped on vita.

SkylineRKR

Holy brutal reviews, Batman! You'd think that Sony would be hands-on in guaranteeing the release of a viable release in the biggest franchise the gaming industry's ever seen for their fledgling platform but.... nope. They left it to die letting Activision hand it off to an F-grade dev with no input from them whatsoever.

I think Sony has to be happy with the fact its even getting a CoD for Vita at all, Activision themselves probably didn't give a fuck and didn't want to spent time on it.

I think it was this way or the highway for Sony, tbh. And I wouldn't be surprised if this game ends up being the Vita's best selling game thus far.

So I asked Anthony on twitter cuz y'all rather bitch here than just ask:

btw: what are the controls for this game lol? The OT is cute, but it doesn't cover what changes are there for the game to be mapped on vita.

If you can't hit it without knifing them use right on the dpad. In all honesty I'm not even sure if hitting the kill streak symbol works? The game tells you it's right on the d-pad from the beginning .

There are other gaping errors as well such as saying you have to re watch the cut scene each time you die which you don't since the patch (that was out before the review)

And by "unchangeable aim acceleration " I assume he means the aim sensitivity? Which you can change. If not his writing doesn't make it clear.

It just whiffs of incompetent journalism.

Again the game deserves to get called out for its shortcomings which it has a lot of, but just plain incorrect statements are not called for

Revan

Is there any way to invert the horizontal axis in this? I play a lot of 3rd person games and I always invert both the horizontal and vertical and doing anything in this game is brutally difficult because of it.

Heh you can call in kill streaks with touch screen. Still the complaint is dumb as there is a clear alternative.

Yes you can invert vertical.

Edit. Sorry misread

Only vertical I think.

I'd personally put more faith in a universal reviewer backlash than forum musings. For one, journos have a pretty throwaway mentality when it comes to games, which means they aren't going to try to justify it being worth it just because they put money into it. It seems to me that if every review out there is saying it's dog shit, it must be dog shit - there might be a few people into scat, but i'm pretty sure they are the minority.

Yeah but this thread is going in circles. Read back a few pages and you will see people who have it are giving pretty fair impressions. We all admit it has errors and I think most people agree with the one review that gave it 6/10.

The whole, you invested in it is crap because to me it's not exactly a lot of money. I don't need to justify anything. I have bought shit games in the past and am more than happy to admit that.

You can believe the review sites if you want but a lot if them are riddled with complaints that are not accurate.

DigitalOp

Banned
I haven't played this yet so I really have no valid opinion but I think we need a new and better fps on Vita so people can forget bout this game

Skyzard

Banned
^ Yep, and Killzone is quite far away.

I'd personally put more faith in a universal reviewer backlash than forum musings. For one, journos have a pretty throwaway mentality when it comes to games, which means they aren't going to try to justify it being worth it just because they put money into it. It seems to me that if every review out there is saying it's dog shit, it must be dog shit - there might be a few people into scat, but i'm pretty sure they are the minority.

GAF (plus youtube) is incredibly useful compared to most reviews when you have moderate comprehensions skills and a decent ability to discern info though. Helps if you keep your mind off the scat too. Follow your heart. IMO it's only a tough call if you are a huge fan of COD multiplayer (something hardly covered by the reviews) and not poor, otherwise it's pretty clear you'll feel like it wasn't worth it.

Skyzard

Banned
You know I did hear it was made by another party that recently...joined with guerrilla games (from Takao iirc)...but still yeah it looked good and is still a ways off. Should be decent..

blopsdeclassified.png

ah, lol.

test_account

XP-39C²
I got 3 stars on all the time trials now :) I really liked the time trials actually.

Its frustrating as the multi player seems to have a solidish base, just there's not really enough flesh on the bones.

If they announced 4 new maps and a couple of new modes it would go a long way to redeeming this game I think.
Yeah, if the multiplayer had no connection issues, i think the reviews would have a bit better. Not that it matter much though, i think people would have pretty much the exact same opinion about the game anyway.

Massa

Wow I can't believe it's this bad. Yikes at these reviews, it's Duke Nukem all over again.

They're very different games that got slaughtered by gaming media for very different reasons. One because it was 20 hours of shit, the other because it doesn't have 5 hours of average content.

Top Bottom