• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified |OT| Ad-Hoc Summary: It Is Not Terrible!

VanWinkle

Anybody know if this is native res or not? It didn't look like it in the old videos but the new ones look a lot smoother. Very impressive looking... I'm actually considering getting it now.

HIGHLY doubt it. The framerate and textures look better on this than the non-native-res Resistance Burning Skies which only came out like 5 months ago, so I doubt they did enough work on their engine to get those up AND bump it to native res.

does the game not support screenshot function?

Nope. Just like Resistance:BS.

This has multiplayer though, while Uncharted GA didn't. So maybe the $50 pill is easier to swallow?

I don't want to excuse Uncharted's price because it was ridiculous, but it had a single player that was about 12 hours long, and this game's single player content will probably be a couple of hours at most from what we've heard. And CoD's multiplayer is REALLY barebones; like Resistance BS level of barebones. I love FPSs but I only spent about an hour total in multiplayer on that game. Of course, that was also due in big part to the horrible framerate and connection problems of R:BS, which this seems like it may have fixed.

Carl

It's the same price as Resistance here in the UK. But that's because Resistance was expensive here.

fernoca

Nope. Just like Resistance:BS.
Though, has that been confirmed?
I mean..Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 didn't, but Street Fighter x Tekken does; so the same dev/publisher/engine not having it in one game is not a confirmation.

I'm not expecting it anyway. :p

Takao

Banned
Though, has that been confirmed?
I mean..Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 didn't, but Street Fighter x Tekken does; so the same dev/publisher/engine not having it in one game is not a confirmation.

I'm not expecting it anyway. :p

Confirmed, one of the developers said so.

This game could have been a real system seller if :
It had leaderboards
More maps
Kill cams(I can't fucking believe it doesn't have this)
Elite integration
I would like more players as well.

demolitio

It looks a lot better now than it did before. Still not enough to get me to buy it, but it's looking a lot better at least.

I think they showed it off way too early considering how short their dev. time was and all that, but they really had no choice. No matter what, a lot of people were turned off by its first showing and it's too late to get some of them back.

Sony and Activision missed out on having the biggest handheld title ever though.

out of curiosity, i rewatched the trailer for modern combat 4 again (the competition of modern shooter I guess).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5o3LQreyXY

Do not this is a $7 game.

Am sadden that Sony couldn't court them for a vita version.

I take back my previous comment after rewatching that Modern Combat video. Ignoring visuals it looks like it even controls better. And thats with no damn buttons. I hope gameloft even ports this using PSM or something.

out of curiosity, i rewatched the trailer for modern combat 4 again (the competition of modern shooter I guess).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5o3LQreyXY

Do not this is a $7 game.

Am sadden that Sony couldn't court them for a vita version.

Have you ever played a gameloft game? I use the term "game" lightly - they are all flash and no substance. i'm pretty sure that they have a template that they use for every one

resident evil clone:
*turret sequence on every level - check
*giant arrow pointing you exactly where to go - check
*terrible voice acting - check
*good graphics so hopefully everyone misses how shallow everything is - check

rinse and repeat for uncharted clone, call of duty clone, halo clone, etc...

sure there are worthwhile games on ios, but none of them are made by gameloft (i have an iphone 4s, before some asks if i've ever even played any of their stuff before. i've played a bunch of their crap)

Have you ever played a gameloft game? I use the term "game" lightly - they are all flash and no substance. i'm pretty sure that they have a template that they use for every one

resident evil clone:
*turret sequence on every level - check
*giant arrow pointing you exactly where to go - check
*terrible voice acting - check
*good graphics so hopefully everyone misses how shallow everything is - check

rinse and repeat for uncharted clone, call of duty clone, halo clone, etc...

sure there are worthwhile games on ios, but none of them are made by gameloft (i have an iphone 4s, before some asks if i've ever even played any of their stuff before. i've played a bunch of their crap)

Don't disagree about sp. But gameloft mp have all been pretty decent imo. But isn't this game just a clone of the console one too?

It's not running on tryarch tech right?

test_account

XP-39C²
It had leaderboards
More maps
Elite integration
It has leaderboards. This is one of their goals with the Hostile Mission,adding replayablility due to leaderboards. There is most likely leaderboards for the online multiplayer as well.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I take back my previous comment after rewatching that Modern Combat video. Ignoring visuals it looks like it even controls better. And thats with no damn buttons. I hope gameloft even ports this using PSM or something.

Given Gameloft's previous two efforts: Diablo-clone (not too bad but not really worth $40), and Racer-clone (bad) didn't sell... not gonna happen.

minimoke

Nihlistic has done an awesome job to get this title to where it is at the moment. IMHO the gamescom trailer looked worse than R:BS and I wouldn't be surprised if Nihlistic had 2 team working in parallel on R:BS and COD:BOD.

Day 1:)

Given Gameloft's previous two efforts: Diablo-clone (not too bad but not really worth $40), and Racer-clone (bad) didn't sell... not gonna happen.
Well gameloft is on the list of psm developers. Not sure if their games are within the platform limitations though.

i think they make card games which they'll probably port

it was gameloft japan who pledged support for psm oddly IIRC
Really odd that they didn't just sale modern combat 3 for $40 at launch.

Probably setting up the online network is too much work. Do their 2 vita games have online mp?

Iacobellis

Nihlistic has done an awesome job to get this title to where it is at the moment. IMHO the gamescom trailer looked worse than R:BS and I wouldn't be surprised if Nihlistic had 2 team working in parallel on R:BS and COD:BOD.

Day 1:)

I have a feeling Sony pushed Nihilistic to rush Resistance out, with the intentions of it not selling well at all. Resistance is a dead franchise, and the name alone doesn't have the fan base that Call of Duty has. If Sony wanted it do good, they would have put more time into it and let it be released alongside Black Ops during the holiday season.

Takao

Banned
OVERVIEW:

Call of Duty®: Black Ops Declassified brings the classic Call of Duty-style gameplay to gamers on-the-go in the most intense handheld Call of Duty® experience only on PlayStation® Vita. The title features intense 4v4 multiplayer action across popular modes along with the hallmark Call of Duty gameplay, including Care Packages, Create-a-Class, Killstreaks, Perks, and even Prestiging.

Delivering an original fiction set within the Call of Duty®: Black Ops universe, Declassified offers a complementary series of single player operations. With touchscreen and “Near” features, Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified puts the adrenaline-rush action of Call of Duty in the palm of your hands.

FEATURES:

-Play up to 4v4 multiplayer gameplay on Wi-Fi on franchise favorite modes including Free-For-All, Kill Confirmed, Team Deathmatch and Dropzone all tailored for Vita.

-Choose from lethal and tactical grenades, and a variety of weapons and attachments.

-Utilize classic Call of Duty multiplayer features like Care Packages, Challenges, Create-a-Class, Killstreaks, Perks, Prestiging, XP and more.

-Complementary single player objective-based Operations, along with Survival and Time Trial Missions.

-Uncover the deniable operations that occurred between the original Call of Duty: Black Ops and this year’s upcoming Call of Duty: Black Ops II.

-Featuring Near technology for multiplayer load-outs that also allows gamers to send friends a boost; and Touchscreen support for cooking grenades and melee bring the power of Vita to gamers.

http://community.callofduty.com/com...all-of-duty-black-ops-declassified-fact-sheet

Iacobellis

OVERVIEW:

Call of Duty®: Black Ops Declassified brings the classic Call of Duty-style gameplay to gamers on-the-go in the most intense handheld Call of Duty® experience only on PlayStation® Vita. The title features intense 4v4 multiplayer action across popular modes along with the hallmark Call of Duty gameplay, including Care Packages, Create-a-Class, Killstreaks, Perks, and even Prestiging.

Delivering an original fiction set within the Call of Duty®: Black Ops universe, Declassified offers a complementary series of single player operations. With touchscreen and “Near” features, Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified puts the adrenaline-rush action of Call of Duty in the palm of your hands.

FEATURES:

-Play up to 4v4 multiplayer gameplay on Wi-Fi on franchise favorite modes including Free-For-All, Kill Confirmed, Team Deathmatch and Dropzone all tailored for Vita.

-Choose from lethal and tactical grenades, and a variety of weapons and attachments.

-Utilize classic Call of Duty multiplayer features like Care Packages, Challenges, Create-a-Class, Killstreaks, Perks, Prestiging, XP and more.

-Complementary single player objective-based Operations, along with Survival and Time Trial Missions.

-Uncover the deniable operations that occurred between the original Call of Duty: Black Ops and this year’s upcoming Call of Duty: Black Ops II.

-Featuring Near technology for multiplayer load-outs that also allows gamers to send friends a boost; and Touchscreen support for cooking grenades and melee bring the power of Vita to gamers.

http://community.callofduty.com/com...all-of-duty-black-ops-declassified-fact-sheet

Is Dropzone where it's the three other modes thrown together in a single playlist? Shaking my head at the fact they didn't just use the Team Tactical name.

Chris_C

I fail to understand how folks can say this looks good at the price. It looks better than horrible, but not good. This is $10 off what's charged for a full HD CoD, and $15 more than AC: Liberation, another AAA title from a third party developer/publisher.

Skyzard

Banned
I fail to understand how folks can say this looks good at the price. It looks better than horrible, but not good. This is $10 off what's charged for a full HD CoD, and $15 more than AC: Liberation, another AAA title from a third party developer/publisher.

Bearing in mind it is a 360p video, I think it looks decent:

W1y1U.jpg

The youtube uploader said they improved it over Resistance. I never expected to be wowed with cod though. Thankfully killzone mercs is looking better but that is a way off.

I would have preferred that this was priced at £30 though. £40 feels like too much. 6 maps, no bots :p

Well this title has a lot of taxes!

- Vita Tax
- Buttons on a portable Tax
- Small userbase Tax
- Activision Tax

I agree it's too expensive, but I guess they do it to anchor expectations.

Iacobellis

Off topic, but is there a reason why they never made more cod games for psp?

Controls wouldn't be optimal, but I'd expect them to sell well.

Didn't sell well, perhaps? In conjunction with the touchscreen, the DS provided controls if not better, close to what the PSP offered for first person shooters.

Takao

Banned
I would imagine Roads to Victory wasn't a great seller. Activision did continue to make PSP games for a while so it's not like they ran off.

I don't think reviewers will criticise it more harshly for being too expensive. After all they get them for free! The mainstream games were at £54.99 one year and it didn't seem to affect their reviews in the slightest.

If it is ridiculously short, they might use it as a hook to hang the criticism on though.

It would be a crying shame if Nihilistic nailed the CoD feel but fell at the last hurdle due to sheer lack of features and content.

test_account

XP-39C²
I know what you mean, but i think people are judging the graphics alone. I.e Crysis would look just as good even if it was a $10 or $60 game. The game definitelly looks better than what we saw in the first trailer, at least judging by these Youtube videos, so that is most likely what surprises people.

Anyone notice how abysmal the running animation is? There's a reason games use shaky cam for when you are sprinting.
It looks exactly like the other CoD games from what i've seen so far.

I don't think reviewers will criticise it more harshly for being too expensive. After all they get them for free! The mainstream games were at £54.99 one year and it didn't seem to affect their reviews in the slightest.

If it is ridiculously short, they might use it as a hook to hang the criticism on though.

It would be a crying shame if Nihilistic nailed the CoD feel but fell at the last hurdle due to sheer lack of features and content.
I think it depends a lot of how they feel about the replay value. I will be surprised if less than 80% all the reviews doesnt at least mention the pricetag VS the amount of content and do comparison to the console/PC Call of Duty games. But i dont know how much it will affect their overall score though.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
It had leaderboards
More maps
Elite integration

While I understand some of the points, and while it should be a given in a CoD game regardless, saying it would have been a system seller if it had Kill cams to me is pretty ridiculous point.

I have a feeling Sony pushed Nihilistic to rush Resistance out, with the intentions of it not selling well at all. Resistance is a dead franchise, and the name alone doesn't have the fan base that Call of Duty has. If Sony wanted it do good, they would have put more time into it and let it be released alongside Black Ops during the holiday season.

I wouldn't be surprised either, R:BS was announced back before Resistance 3 came out and as we all know didn't do that well and was never going to be the selling point they had probably hoped it would be.
CoD while looking a bit meh is a much bigger name and brand to push a system with.

Top Bottom