• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Omikron

Calen said:
I must be confused...I *thought* it worked by picking the best potential host from a given lobby based on a bunch of factors that we spent a lot of time implementing and tuning. Guess I'll have to look over that code again. Thanks for the heads up! :D

If you really are from IW, good luck with that.

I would of thought it much easier to implement an upgrade on the existing dedicated server software you have for MW1. *shrug*

PS> Choice in the matter is NEVER bad. Ever.

:lol :lol

Wow at those responses, I'm sorry, I feel really bad for the PC guys, if I didn't know better I would of thought they had a 10 year old answering those questions.

Raxus

Calen said:
I must be confused...I *thought* it worked by picking the best potential host from a given lobby based on a bunch of factors that we spent a lot of time implementing and tuning. Guess I'll have to look over that code again. Thanks for the heads up! :D
Do not want.

This defines it.

JambiBum

grahamrimell: Will there be any Afro American characters to play as in this game?, i felt very insulted that there wasnt any included in the Original modern warfare. This is very important for racial awarness.

Vince-IW: We have a pretty wide array of nationalities represented in our game, in single and MP. So, yes.

I love his response.

ZZMitch

Ogs said:
Why.jpg

"You maniacs! You blew it up!"

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Calen said:

IW chatlog said:
LaGgY_42o
What kinds of pings did you get during your IWNet testing and what do you say is an acceptable ping?

Mackey-IW
I've been playing mainly with around 100ms ping and it was great.

*sounds like* looking over that code again might be a pretty neat idea. :D :D :D

Calen said:

Great job on the community management angle there, bravo!

Protip: Insulting and disrespecting the guys that put food on your table is tacky and not particularly wise.

MrDaravon

CrazedArabMan said:
:lol :lol

Wow at those responses, I'm sorry, I feel really bad for the PC guys, if I didn't know better I would of thought they had a 10 year old answering those questions.

Seriously. I don't play on PC at all really and had no intentions of picking this up on PC in the slightest, but it seems like the PC version is just getting fucked left and right all over the place. It's sad because you know it's still going to wind up selling blockbusters on PC regardless.

Calen said:

Oh wait, this guy actually works for IW? :lol :lol

I'll apologize to everyone for you since you apparently have no tact.

Raxus

I am playing CoD4 right now with more than 18 players with unbalanced lean and less than 50 ping.

Guess what.

IT'S FUCKING GREAT!

Calen

brain_stew said:
Great job on the community management angle there, bravo!

Protip: Insulting and disrespecting the guys that put food on your table is tacky and not particularly wise.
Just a bit of mild sarcasm to deflect some of the wildly wrong assumptions about something I and the rest of the team have worked incredibly hard on. If this offends you, I apologize. I'll not post again.

Full Recovery said:
IW has the worst community support ever.

Name a dev that's a worse offender.

Though its a tough ask, I have a winner.

Polyphony Digital.

They might not be ones we like, but at least IW gives answers. PD gives answers which make no sense, or change, or are mistranslated and on and on.

Then they release a screenshot and I realize I dont give a shit... I just wanna know the release date. :lol :lol

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Calen said:
Just a bit of mild sarcasm to deflect some of the wildly wrong assumptions about something I and the rest of the team have worked incredibly hard on. If this offends you, I apologize. I'll not post again.

no, please, stay. deflect some more *wildly wrong assumptions* with the same drole wit that you so eloquently and conclusively parried that misconception away with. :D

Shawsie64

Banned
Calen said:

The thing is, im willing to check this out before buying as im extremely skeptical.. id ideally go see a friends copy and make my decision on purchase but none of them are buying it so im up shit creek if/until a demo comes out..

iamcool388 said:
Though its a tough ask, I have a winner.

Polyphony Digital.

They might not be ones we like, but at least IW gives answers. PD gives answers which make no sense, or change, or are mistranslated and on and on.

Then they release a screenshot and I realize I dont give a shit... I just wanna know the release date. :lol :lol

:lol yeah Polyphony takes the cake i think

Gestahl

Tell us about the wonders of no lean. How incredibly hard you've worked on no lean. How hard you've worked on increasing the price of the game while gouging consumers on features.

VaLiancY

:lol Holy shit, what a fucking laugh I'm having. Man, Infinity Ward screwed the pooch so hard on this one. I feel like I'm in an episode of the Twilight Zone with all this backwards. :lol @ a 100 ping, I get lower than that playing on British servers.

Tzeentch

The console version looks pretty slick (great new radiosity lightmapping tool at least) and the Amazon deal sold me on the 360 version, but you have to have spent some serious time in a groupthink echo chamber over at IW if you think the PC "features" are anything but laughable.

On a more related note, has anyone seen a complete playthrough of that Special Ops AC-130 mission anywhere? Probably the most unique concept I've seen in an FPS in a while.

Eric WK

Calen said:

How dare you take our lean away. How dare you, sir!

And the fact that you didn't quit on the spot when Activision announced the game's pricing is absurd. I don't know how you sleep at night.

Actually, doesn't the box art look odd? Hmmm. This was free from a local shop which owed me for a favor before, so maybe they gave me a fake one, haha.

I'll know in a few.

Omikron

Calen said:

Maybe so, but some of the assumptions you have made about the PC community are equally wildly wrong ;)

I hope you are proud of your product, because I know what its like to bring something to fruition, but I do not do it to the detriment of the paying customer.

That is all.

Raxus

Eric WK said:
How dare you take our lean away. How dare you, sir!

And the fact that you didn't quit on the spot when Activision announced the game's pricing is absurd. I don't know how you sleep at night.
On a bed of sweet sweet money.

I find it fascinating they actually went out of their way to make the game less fun on all fronts.

MrDaravon

Sorry if this is in the OP and I missed it or something, but on 360 do we know how many/which playlists apparently don't allow Party Chat? I assumed it was only Ranked playlists, but I just had a friend tell me it's almost all of them, and this is literally a do not buy situation if true for at least two of these guys. Anyone have any idea?

Calen said:

It doesn't offend me, aint shit that could do that, just comes off awfuly tacky is all, and I'm sure it offends others that aren't in a particularly ahppy place right now. Its twisting the knife and kicking someone when they're down, there's no need for it.

You ought to be expecting people to make assumptions and fill in the blanks when there's been so little done to allay people's fears though. Many PC gamers are smart guys, you go into the technical whys and wherefors as to how your system works and a lot of them will understand what you're saying.

Making claims that this will not in anyway affect the way the game plays is outright false and you and I both know that, its inevitable that it'll never be the same but ofcourse there's stuff that can be done to minimise the difference. There's been claims that there's no host advantage, fine, great, if that's the case then go ahead and explain how you've got around that, don't just expect people to take your word for it. Console gamers may slurp up the PR kool aid but PC gamers don't work like that, we've reworked your network code, hosted servers for your games and created free content for your playerbase, we understand how this stuff works, so don't approach us on a simplistic level.

Why's this whole thing got to be treat like a tranny surprise anyway? If you are so proud of IWNET then go ahead and show us what's so great about it. If it really is as watertight as claimed then letting the community tear it apart is a good thing because if they don't find holes in the system then you can guarantee that you've done a good job with it. Don't come onto forums with a siege mentality like you just did, come on and be respectful towards your community, after all these were the people that made you the successful studio you are today, shitting on them and giving them the cold shoulder probably isn't the smartest thing to do. *Correcting* people's assumptions on your product and working a 1:1 dialect with your consumers is a great thing to do, but there's a right way to approach it, that's basically my point.

Raxus

SailorDaravon said:
Sorry if this is in the OP and I missed it or something, but on 360 do we know how many/which playlists apparently don't allow Party Chat? I assumed it was only Ranked playlists, but I just had a friend tell me it's almost all of them, and this is literally a do not buy situation if true for at least two of these guys. Anyone have any idea?
All do not allow party chat except mercenary TDM, Free for all, and third person teams.

Eric WK

SailorDaravon said:

There are no Unranked playlists and there weren't any in Call of Duty 4, either.

From what I understand, party chat is disabled in all but Team Deathmatch and Hardcore Team Deathmatch, but I'm yet to see anything definitive. I've also heard that it's just disabled in Search and Destroy so who knows.

e: I guess Raxus, does. Do you have a link, Raxus?

MrDaravon

Raxus said:
All do not allow party chat except mercenary TDM, Free for all, and third person teams.

Jesus Fuck. Well that's not going to go down well :lol . Thanks for the info though, appreciated.

Just started it up. Intro message about the beginning missions (controversial ones) is no joke. They ask you twice if you want to play them and never see the warning again. you can change it in the options.

82 players online. Playlist update is present. Will check for custom soundtracks.

No soundtracks.

Server errors already, just like last MW launch.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
djblackice said:
82 players online. Playlist update is present. Will check for custom soundtracks.

No soundtracks.

Go ahead. Start SP. I'm listening.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
djblackice said:

No soundtracks.

Run the gatdam game!

Kibbles

If anyone receives word or a delivery confirmation # from that guy who was selling them let me know. I might order tomorrow... hopefully it'll still be in stock.

Top Bottom