• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
djblackice said:
Yes.

Intro is worth watching more than once. If you want spoilers, let me know.
Not for me, ty though.

I would like to know how it runs, much like TTP. Thanks :)

Opening speech is amazing a la KZ2 opening speech cinematic. Very powerful.

Training mission now. Framerate is very smooth.

kuYuri

djblackice, is the invite system in-game only or does it use XMB? Does it bring up PSN friends list or does it just show who's online currently playing MW2?

Tzeentch

The game was not balanced around MP invites. zing!

Does the intro training course force you into a set of difficulties? It looked like, in the leak videos, that it greyed out harder difficulties if you messed it up.

LiquidMetal14

Strider2K99 said:
djblackice, is the invite system in-game only or does it use XMB? Does it bring up PSN friends list or does it just show who's online currently playing MW2?
He said invites work ala RE5.

No party chat sucks ass. My friends and I exclusively play domination and use party chat to catch up, since we rarely get to see each other these days and we live so far apart. Just the thought of some jackass singing the whole game, racial slurs, homophobic banter and the creepy closet nazi's CoD seems to attract makes me shudder.

Jtrizzy

IW/Actvision are probably getting money hats to gimp the shit out of the PC version in order to sell the crap out of this and 360 Arcades at Walmart during the Holidays. I know they've announced that the DLC comes first to 360 over PS3, but is this also true for PC?

I'm getting this day one for 360, and will probably end up double dipping on PS3, but I agree that the community support is pretty lame. I had the PS3 version for MW1, and the responses to our questions were pretty dodgy. Claims that the reason the PS3 DLC came later because it was taking longer on PS3, not adding rumble/trophies amongst others. Now I see there are still no true custom soundtracks for either, which sucks.

Maybe I'm one of those tinfoil hat people, but it's to the point where games like this as well as the GTA series are too big for their own good, too much corporate involvement in other words. /end rant.

Tzeentch said:
The game was not balanced around MP invites. zing!

Does the intro training course force you into a set of difficulties? It looked like, in the leak videos, that it greyed out harder difficulties if you messed it up.

Just finished training mission. It recommends a difficulty level but you can choose one even if it isn't recommended.

ZeroRay

djblackice said:
HUD looks crisp. Like I said above, framerate is real smooth so far. No dips yet.

Next mission will really test how the PS3 version stacks up.

Lots of dust and explosions.

kuYuri

LiquidMetal14 said:
He said invites work ala RE5.

Finally! IW is getting it. Let's hope they also added muting on lobbies this time as well.

GillianSeed79 said:
No party chat sucks ass. My friends and I exclusively play domination and use party chat to catch up, since we rarely get to see each other these days and we live so far apart. Just the thought of some jackass singing the whole game, racial slurs, homophobic banter and the creepy closet nazi's CoD seems to attract makes me shudder.

Just mute people.

Eric WK

Jtrizzy said:
IW/Actvision are probably getting money hats to gimp the shit out of the PC version in order to sell the crap out of this and 360 Arcades at Walmart during the Holidays. I know they've announced that the DLC comes first to 360 over PS3, but is this also true for PC?

I'm getting this day one for 360, and will probably end up double dipping on PS3, but I agree that the community support is pretty lame. I had the PS3 version for MW1, and the responses to our questions were pretty dodgy. Claims that the reason the PS3 DLC came later because it was taking longer on PS3, not adding rumble/trophies amongst others. Now I see there are still no true custom soundtracks for either, which sucks.

Maybe I'm one of those tinfoil hat people, but it's to the point where games like this as well as the GTA series are too big for their own good, too much corporate involvement in other words.

MW2 was an inside job.

nib95

Banned
Well at least with DJ having the PS3 version, we know it won't have been pirated. I feel sorry for people who do just get the 360 version early but not with a receipt (especially if you buy from private local stores who often sell early just to get by).

I wanted this game early, but according to my contacts the review copies in the UK at least get sent out to arrive on the day of launch or just a day before it?

minx

I have been watching the live stream for awhile but is it just me or does it seem that the care package is always a kill streak reward and never ammo? I thought it was supposed to be both?

Frame rate holds up real well in next section. Like a previous poster said - lots of dust, explosions, and
different blood effects on HUD

Good job IW so far. Real good on the technical aspect. I haven't seen one dip yet.

LiquidMetal14

djblackice said:
Frame rate holds up real well in next section. Like a previous poster said - lots of dust, explosions, and

Good job IW so far. Real good on the technical aspect. I haven't seen one dip yet.
Textures? IQ? Aliasing? LUCY, SPLAIN!!!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
djblackice said:

*warm feeling in pants*

Keep stressing it. Make it suffer.

tHoMNZ

oh wow, they are duds. This is getting to the stage where this might be all a big joke

Unfortunately i think this is unlikely

Jtrizzy

from the streams I've been watching on jtv(360), the blood looks more watered down. Not really the best way to describe it, but it made it more intense imo.

Going to play more guys so I can pay more attention. Be back in a bit, just hard to enjoy it and worry about response time.

Will post soon, but just give me a bit.

Jtrizzy said:
from the streams I've been watching on jtv(360), the blood looks more watered down. Not really the best way to describe it, but it made it more intense imo.

Watered down blood makes it more intense? I dont get it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
djblackice said:
Going to play more guys so I can pay more attention. Be back in a bit, just hard to enjoy it and worry about response time.

Will post soon, but just give me a bit.

No worries. Take your time. Enjoy the game.

Jtrizzy

iamcool388 said:
Watered down blood makes it more intense? I dont get it.

Yeah that's why I was saying that wasn't a good way to describe it. You'll just have to see it yourself I guess. What I saw of the multiplayer though, the blood splattering was more intense, scarier, shocking, jarring...pick your adjective...than MW1.

edit: Nib95--yes that is a better description than I could muster.

nib95

Banned
yes we can said:
I am as well but this is the norm this GEN so it's best to just get use to it.

It is?

I remember Gears 2 and Uncharted 2 both clocking in at around 9-12 hours. KZ2 being just under. So I'm not sure it is the norm any more. Maybe the norm for multiplatform titles?

Dirty console peasant here. Can someone explain what lean is?

I grasp the whole no dedicated servers thing but some of this PC lingo makes me feel like I'm living in Plato's cave.

surferkid

Banned
nib95 said:
It is?

I remember Gears 2 and Uncharted 2 both clocking in at around 9-12 hours. KZ2 being just under. So I'm not sure it is the norm any more. Maybe the norm for multiplatform titles?

Just as a point of reference...how long was the original Modern Warfare? It seemed to be the perfect length...maybe the pacing of the story is what made it feel so solid.

Regardless, 6 hours does seem to be in the short side....is this like a pro playing through it on the easiest difficulty?

tHoMNZ

GillianSeed79 said:

I grasp the whole no dedicated servers thing but some of this PC lingo makes me feel like I'm living in Plato's cave.

uhh leaning left or right.

Dynamic3

Is there a resource/site that explains what to set the FOV at for each aspect ratio to ensure that none of the original 4:3 content will be cropped?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
GillianSeed79 said:

I assume you are able to lean (peak around corners) in the PC version of COD4

Jtrizzy

GillianSeed79 said:

Shooters that have in on console--GRAW, Killzone 2. I'm sure there are others. The difference you are doing it from a cover system in those games, where this is just leaning to look around corners etc. It wasn't in COD4 on consoles.

i'm planning to pick this up for ps3. I hope they've improved the lobby system because i would sometimes get booted from party and end up saying i was in someone else's? (COD4)

nib95 said:
It is?

My bad and agreed. Most multiplat games are around that time frame. :D

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
surferkid said:
Just as a point of reference...how long was the original Modern Warfare? It seemed to be the perfect length...maybe the pacing of the story is what made it feel so solid.

Regardless, 6 hours does seem to be in the short side....is this like a pro playing through it on the easiest difficulty?
CoD4 was about 6 hours the first time too.

bigswords

GillianSeed79 said:

In some games when you face a wall, you have strafe out of the wall to see the enemy and exposing yourself to enemy gunfire. Lean allow you to lean out of the wall which gives exposes a small amount of your body/head while the ability to see the enemy.

Ok, framerate still held up very well. Action is intense as expected.

Textures look good and didn't notice hardly any jaggies.

Shawsie64

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:

Leaning left or right usually mapped to the Q and E keys.. enables you to peak your head out around a corner without exposing your body.

EDIT: beaten by a country mile heh

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
djblackice said:
Ok, framerate still held up very well. Action is intense as expected.

Textures look good and didn't notice hardly any jaggies.

Like it didn't drop badly or it didn't drop at all?

TTP said:
Like it didn't drop badly or it didn't drop at all?

No noticeable drops. At all. I went through a crazy scene too. Holding up well so far.

Please help with this for those who have it:

How do I get to play the controversial scene? I saw the warnings and I think I chose to be able to play it, but for some reason I didn't get to. Is there an option to reset it and try it out?

Top Bottom