• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Virro

KilgoreTrout said:
About done with the first act, and not digging it so far. Feels like the main gameplay mechanic is auto-aim. I'm hoping things will change. I hope they patch the blood splatter on the screen. Iit's ridiculous looking, and extremely impairing. Why throw off my aim, and make me completely blind?

Multiplayer seems like the first MW for the most part. It's more complicated, but whatever.

Maybe I've just grown out of my COD love.

Things slow down a little, but not much and the blood splatter is a game mechanic. I don't like it, but its here to stay.

Cataferal said:
Is anyone else slightly disappointed there were no CoD4 MP maps?

I'm glad they pushed for a good amount of original content, but since it's all based on the same engine, It wouldn't have taken much effort to transfer them all over.

I can pretty much assure you it's already planned as DLC.

Sushen

X26 said:
Not really considering the associated costs

Movie ticket - ~$10

Comics/Books - ~$10

Games - ~$60
Sure, with the same token, I would want baseball games to last 6 hours, right?

itsgreen

SuperEnemyCrab said:

And you can spend an extra 800 points on it, just to play them again...

Who am I kidding. Im a whore. I'll buy it. Day 1.

DoomGyver

why would anyone ever use an Eotech over a red dot? It's more obtrusive ADS and hipfire and I don't see it having any benefits?

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
SuperEnemyCrab said:

True enough. But if it transpires that the DLC is only a 4Kb "unlock key", I'll put on a very grumpy face. And may even make grumpy noises.

GodofWine

I see some people having issues with party invites on ps3..see some not.

Can both sides list 1) Are you getting into parties 2) Nat type 3) any tricks?

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Kind of a stupid question, but the shitty French version won't keep me from playing in games with english copy people, right? I can't verify right now.

RS4-

It almost took me 10 games to finally get used to MP maps and what not.

The controllable helos and Harrier are brutal.
I think the the riot shield 10 foot lunge should get fixed.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So I just completed the campaign. I won't offer any commentary on any themes employed in the game, the writing, "the scene," and that lot except to say I found most of it embarrassing.

I'm a pretty big hater of MW1's campaign, but I actually thought this was pretty enjoyable. I even liked the favela. It felt extremely hectic and crazy, but I only died a few times-- I felt like I knew where I was going and I knew what to do. Overall, I died way fewer times than I did in CoD4, and I chalk that up either to my getting better at "playing" CoD or the game being easier overall. I just don't think there was anything even close to as ridiculously unfair and stupid as No Fighting in the War Room in this game.

There's a fair helping of variety despite the game being so linear, and I felt there was a nice smattering of non-linearity in the levels themselves. There were often more than one path to take to get to the designated choke point. I think this represented a fair attempt by Infinity Ward to mix it up a little. There is also a lot more level variety I think in this one than the last one, particularly because they don't reuse a level or two like they did in CoD4. There's also no obvious respawning enemies if they do exist. I appreciated this a lot.

I think the gameplay is really very mature at this point. There are a few scenarios where the game design just feels lazy-- situations where you have to do exactly what the designers wanted you to do or you die. There's one level in front of the
White House
where you pretty much have to take an exact path or you get mauled. Other than that, pretty inoffensive. So they delivered on their promise there.

And, as a parting shot, let me lol at the title "creative strategist." Also, Zimmer is not credited as the composer but the producer.

My distaste for how Infinity Ward has handled their community has not simmered, but they made a quality product-- one I think is much better than MW1 and one of the better shooter experiences this year.

What is up with short shooter campaigns though?

Very early in but enjoying myself quite a bit. And suprisingly I've decided to play the campaign and not wait a year to do it like I did in COD 4. Enjoying that too.

ZZMitch

Halfway through the campaign so far...

I have to say my favorite level that I have played so far is the one where you
are running through a Brazilian slum... so much fun just sprinting around with fire coming from all around, so hectic.

Not too far into the Campaign yet, but me and a buddy got 54 Special Ops stars today. We've three-starred every one so far. Have five more missions to go.

unomas

Banned
The wait for this game is becoming unbearable! I can't wait to tackle the campaign on Vet and then get some online multiplayer going.

anyone else notice how cheap the actual plastic case feels? just seems extremely light and cheaper then most of the 360 games I have

the game itself...so fucking good

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Cataferal said:
Is anyone else slightly disappointed by the lack of returning CoD4 MP maps? I was expecting at least one or two.

Since it's all based on the same engine, it wouldn't have taken much effort to transfer them all over...

Not really. There were only a couple of maps on the first one I liked. Is it common for online FPS sequels to bring back old maps?

NYR

lunlunqq said:
just finished the SP. did not like it as much as MW1. :( felt lost throughout the game. enemies are always faraway and hard to spot. constantly getting shot from all the directions. the screen is always covered in blood which dose not help either. i was so confused at some points and i was feeling sick from disorientation. hopefully online will make it up.
Agreed. The blood is overkill and the enemies seem to be all over the place. Moreover, they are really hard to spot.

Zzoram

Cataferal said:
Is anyone else slightly disappointed by the lack of returning CoD4 MP maps? I was expecting at least one or two.

Since it's all based on the same engine, it wouldn't have taken much effort to transfer them all over...

Just watch, 3 returning CoD4 maps for $10 as map pack #3.

Helmholtz

Loving this game so far. Been so addicted to multiplayer I've barely touched single. Is it wrong that I'm enjoying matchmaking on the PC so much? :/
It's just working so much better than I anticipated. I click Find Game, and I'm in instantly.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
I haven't had a chance to try out the game yet, but good lord, this has to be the most pathetic, half-assed, 2 page game manual I've ever seen. It's not really a big deal, but it's a part of the overall presentation, and for a game that's going to rake in so much moolah it seems like a snub. Ah well, looking forward to gameytime!

DuckRacer

Y2Kev said:
What is up with short shooter campaigns though?
Creating a 10-hour-long campaign isn't a priority when they know people will spend hundreds of hours playing multiplayer afterwards. I wish they would've done something more with
Makarov, though. He starts this entire war yet at the end he begrudgingly supplies you coordinates and that's it? Would've been a valid excuse to extend the single player's length too, 4.5 hours isn't enough.

GodofWine said:
I see some people having issues with party invites on ps3..see some not.

Can both sides list 1) Are you getting into parties 2) Nat type 3) any tricks?

Send invite. Have invitee sign out of PSN at game title screen, then sign back in. Accept invite. Play. Profit.

I, too, was really surprised that there wasn't a single map that returned. I hope we get a couple - particularly Wetworks and Crash.

In other news, I'm surprised as to how much fun CTF is.

FrankT

So I have someone on my FL at 2.22 million on the leaderboards. So 2 million+ pretty much in 24 hours on the 360 multiplayer boards and that's not even counting the folks just doing single so far. That's insane. Should beat GTA IV launch hands down. Oh yea, is there an easy way to check the overall leaderboard and currently online? Still haven't figured that out.

GodfatherX said:
anyone else notice how cheap the actual plastic case feels? just seems extremely light and cheaper then most of the 360 games I have

the game itself...so fucking good

Yeah, the case has a circular cutout on both the front and back. I noticed a similar round recycling pattern cut into the case of a blu-ray I recently purchased. This must the case manufacturing industry's attempt to "go green". It is fine by me as long as dust does not get into my games.

Oh and MW rocks.

Jtyettis said:
So I have someone on my FL at 2.22 million on the leaderboards. So 2 million+ pretty much in 24 hours on the 360 multiplayer boards and that's not even counting the folks just doing single so far. That's insane. Should beat GTA IV launch hands down. Oh yea, is there an easy way to check the overall leaderboard and currently online? Still haven't figured that out.

I was ranked in the low 200000 yesterday and today I've dropped to 700000 something. PS3 here.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Sean said:
I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, because what you're describing is exactly why it's such a terrible level.

The obnoxious blood spatter effect covering your entire screen and the dude constantly screaming/ordering you to move forward every two seconds only makes it even more annoying. Level was not fun at all imo.
Hah, I dunno. I enjoyed going down the alley, saying HOLY SHIT when I have incoming fire, getting out my shotgun, and taking out anyone in the house I'm jumping into. Then I wait for a sec until things get a bit better. Then it's back to killin.'

I can't believe people don't like that kind of stuff. Way better than the tag-along missions where you snipe with a buddy.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
hypostatic said:
I just had that happen. I guess we have to be more careful about where we drop our loads.

:lol

I forgot to add on my other post that I was no where's near a building.

RS4-

ZROCOOL said:

I've had 2 care packages drop on top of a building where I can't reach.

If it makes you feel better, I had one of my own packages kill me :lol

The only map that has returned from previous CODs was Brecourt I think? I don't remember what it's called now in MW2.

Bearillusion said:
I was ranked in the low 200000 yesterday and today I've dropped to 700000 something. PS3 here.
The lowest rated person on my friends list (PS3 as well) is at 1.2 million so yeah... crazy sales.

Top Bottom