• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Sorry for yet another question about the trophy issue but my case seems to be a bit odd. Last night I got trophies fine even though I installed the patch right away. This afternoon they didn't work. In the middle of my session tonight they came back. Should I delete and redownload the patch anyway just to guarantee that they keep working? Deleting, starting the game without it, and redownloading the patch makes them work 100% of the time, correct?

X26

Banned
Tadale said:
What guns are you guys liking in multiplayer? So far, the SCAR has worked the best for me, but I seem to run out of ammo a bit too fast.

SCAR pretty much, with RDS and launcher. Once I get cold blooded I'll go HBS/silencer with it and see how it does

Ovid

Tadale said:
What guns are you guys liking in multiplayer? So far, the SCAR has worked the best for me, but I seem to run out of ammo a bit too fast.
Burst fire with that gun is your friend.

NYR

Fusebox said:
Airport level was awesome. I was like, "Well if you can't beat them...."

BRAAAP BRAPP BRAAAP!!
lol awesome. Same for me. I started not shooting and got bored pretty quick. Then I was all like PEW PEW PEW and felt a lot better. Ah, terrorism, I suckle at your tit.

Sean

Banned
Beat the SP campaign. Felt like a Michael Bay movie to me - loud noises and lots of action, jumping from one set-piece to the next, had no idea what the fuck is going on with the plot… They even have a level that's a shameless ripoff (or "homage") of Bay's
The Rock

I liked it overall though. After the mediocre first act (fuck that Favela mission) the following two acts were pretty good. But they would've been even better and had more of an impact if IW hadn't spoiled every fucking location in their commercial like a week before release.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Sean said:
Beat the SP campaign. Felt like a Michael Bay movie to me - loud noises and lots of action, jumping from one set-piece to the next, had no idea what the fuck is going on with the plot… They even have a level that's a shameless ripoff (or "homage") of Bay's
The Rock

Well the sound track is by the same guy :D

xbhaskarx

kai3345 said:
So is CoD: Calssic gonna be releasing for those who didn't get hardened, eventually? or is it already out?

It will definitely be released on XBLA and PSN later this year, probably in a few weeks.
I'm not sure if it's $10 or 15, but probably 10.

chubigans said:
Whats wrong with Favela? I played that on Hardened and it was fun.
The hell? That was possibly one of the worst-designed FPS SP level I've ever encountered.

Anyway, I've finished up until Burger Town. The campaign is pretty good so far, my favorite mission has been the one
with all the snow - the one with Soap

Edit- Not sure if I'm a fan of the blood jam.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dax01 said:
The hell? That was possibly one of the worst-designed FPS SP level I've ever encountered.
It was great! Totally random, completely insane, causing you to duck into houses and having no idea where enemy fire is coming from, and having to duck out slowly, with no backup support.

Not the best level in the game, but I can't believe people hate it.

Virro

Sean said:
The Rock

I liked it overall though. After the mediocre first act (fuck that Favela mission) the following two acts were pretty good. But they would've been even better and had more of an impact if IW hadn't spoiled every fucking location in their commercial like a week before release.

This.

Pretty similar to what I've been telling friends when they ask what the experience is like, except I think there are even more gratuitous explosions in MW2 than a Michael Bay movie. Just too choppy, the missions didn't have the payoff like they did in the first game, because they were all so short, the pop-culture references and tribute to things like Red Dawn, The Rock, etc. went from passable to downright cheesy at a few points. Overall still fun, but I was hoping for more I guess.

Gonna chime in with hate on the Favela level too. Just really poorly realized. Easily the worst chapter of the game.

Just beat it. Fucking phenomenal. Much better than MW1. I take back my hesitation to call anyone who thinks there are infinite respawns insane. They are insane. I killed every rat bastard in the game. The Favala mission is definitely the worst, although I enjoyed it for being such a clusterfuck.

Also I can't believe Chick lost the thread of the
Airport
level. The entire point is to not know it is in the game. Sure, it warns you about something controversial, but who the fuck knows what that means. It's pure shock, and it works. The game culls you on the idea of hyper-patriotism, and then throws it back in your face. If you feel betrayed by the devs, that's the entire fucking point. It's supposed to just flat out mock the inherent trust in those in charge.

So much of this game just works. I'm sure I could point to countless examples, but sheeyat. It's time to grab a sniper rifle and spend fifteen minutes prone in the grass. I'm aiming for 3-0.

chubigans said:
It was great! Totally random, completely insane, causing you to duck into houses and having no idea where enemy fire is coming from, and having to duck out slowly, with no backup support.

I can understand why people hate it, but I still enjoyed the fuck out of it. Hell, I know I thought once during it "My god people are going to hate this".

Everdred

Sean said:
The Rock

Michael Bay makes awesome mindless action flicks so I have no problem with this. :D

chubigans said:

That's exactly why it's bad. :lol

Played my first and only MP match of the day. Went 16 and 7. Not bad for a first game. I mostly died trying to find a place to deploy my drop or whatever it's called.

snack

Holy shit. Chopper Gunner is crazy. I'm 1-9, jack somebody's Airdrop and pickup Chopper Gunner. Finish the game going 40-10.

Tapiozona

Banned
First time playing a call of duty game online today(multiplayer). I played COD 2 all the way through way back when it came out but thats it....First thing I noticed is how bad I was getting crushed by one or two members of the opposing team.

I think it's mainly cause I'm used to halo and using ranged weapons (BR). The first thing that gets to me is how slow it zooms in. I'm hoping theres a perk down the road to increase the zoom speed but if not I'm sure i'll be used to it soon enough. I don't die much but I find it hard to get 20-30 kills like some players do..Do they ahve perks which are making the game literally 'easy' for them when playing against low people like myself?

I also hate how if I'm in a party and I join a game...when it ends, if I want to leave the party and search for a new game it doesn't take my party member with me. Or am I doing it wrong?

X26

Banned
Tapiozona said:
I think it's mainly cause I'm used to halo and using ranged weapons (BR). The first thing that gets to me is how slow it zooms in. I'm hoping theres a perk down the road to increase the zoom speed but if not I'm sure i'll be used to it soon enough. I don't die much but I find it hard to get 20-30 kills like some players do..Do they ahve perks which are making the game literally 'easy' for them when playing against low people like myself?

sleight of hand's pro version lets you aim/zoom faster

Wallach

Dax01 said:
That's exactly why it's bad. :lol

I don't think that makes it bad at all. It's only really a "problem" on Veteran, and Veteran is in the game for the sole purpose of making the stuff that would normally be somewhat difficult a beat-down festival at your expense.

It seems that IW can't win: if their missions are too linear you guys get pissed, and if they're more open ended you guys bitch all the same.

I thought the level was kind of frustrating, but it's certainly more interesting on multiple play-throughs (and multiple difficulty-levels) because of the added variability.

itsgreen

Tapiozona said:
First time playing a call of duty game online today(multiplayer). I played COD 2 all the way through way back when it came out but thats it....First thing I noticed is how bad I was getting crushed by one or two members of the opposing team.

I also hate how if I'm in a party and I join a game...when it ends, if I want to leave the party and search for a new game it doesn't take my party member with me. Or am I doing it wrong?

Skills... playing a lot... routines... anticipation... lines of sights...

Am quite ok in COD4, few weeks ago a dude called me a cheater :) Am quite proud of it. Saw him running at 150 yards, anticipated he would take a certain gate, aimed on that gate, waited 10 seconds and poof :) Must have looked like a cheater in the kill cam.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Sean said:
The Rock

They borrow quite a bit from recent movies/tv as well as current events like the Mumbai attacks, probably some games like World in Conflict, etc

lunlunqq

just finished the SP. did not like it as much as MW1. :( felt lost throughout the game. enemies are always faraway and hard to spot. constantly getting shot from all the directions. the screen is always covered in blood which dose not help either. i was so confused at some points and i was feeling sick from disorientation. hopefully online will make it up.

X26

Banned
blame space said:
It seems that IW can't win: if their missions are too linear you guys get pissed, and if they're more open ended you guys bitch all the same.

I thought the level was kind of frustrating, but it's certainly more interesting on multiple play-throughs (and multiple difficulty-levels) because of the added variability.

I didn't mind it myself, the problem is the checkpoints are terrible. When you're playing on veteran and dying only to have to start way back it's annoying

Hmm...I kinda want this even though I'm not the biggest FPS fan. The multiplayer looks fun...do 360 MW2 owners make rooms to play? I'd sure like to play with other GAFfers.

Sean

Banned
chubigans said:

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, because what you're describing is exactly why it's such a terrible level.

The obnoxious blood spatter effect covering your entire screen and the dude constantly screaming/ordering you to move forward every two seconds only makes it even more annoying. Level was not fun at all imo.

About done with the first act, and not digging it so far. Feels like the main gameplay mechanic is auto-aim. I'm hoping things will change. I hope they patch the blood splatter on the screen. It's ridiculous looking, and extremely impairing. Why throw off my aim, and make me completely blind?

Multiplayer seems like the first MW for the most part. It's more complicated, but whatever.

Maybe I've just grown out of my COD love.

JaseMath

I don't know if the Favela level is the same as the first Rio/shanty town level, but yeah, that level ruined the pacing that the first few levels lead up to. I don't mind the non-linear approach, but Christ, give me a break with the respawning bad guys from all sides. I'm dying all the time, having to restart at a vague checkpoint. It was just a pain in the fucking ass.

EDIT: Oh, the blood-splatter effect is awesome. *hatersgonnahate.gif*

JasonMCG said:
I don't know if the Favela level is the same as the first Rio/shanty town level, but yeah, that level ruined the pacing that the first few levels lead up to. I don't mind the non-linear approach, but Christ, give me a break with the respawning bad guys from all sides. I'm dying all the time, having to restart at a vague checkpoint. It was just a pain in the fucking ass.

Yeah, I think my strategy was just run the fuck to somewhere a bad guy wasn't, because I couldn't tell where the hell I was being shot from.

chubigans said:

This level was the worst thing I ever have had to do in my life.

Never fails. Everytime I get a new game I get screwed somehow working ungodly hours at work. I went into the office at 8:15 a.m., was supposed to get out 5 p.m., ended up getting stuck there until 10 p.m. And that's running on the 4 hours of sleep I got last night.

Sushen

blame space said:

Also, video gaming is only form of entertainment that people complain about the length of it. Have you heard people compaining movie X is only 2 hours long? When was the last time heard song Y is only 3 mins long? Even comic books, they don't count pages. This weird "value judgement" is really strange to say the least.

Anyone else having problems with it constantly resetting your clan tag on PS3?

I know CoD4 and WaW had bugs like that that would reset your clan & custom class names (haven't renamed mine in MW2, so I dunno if that's still an issue). I can't believe that's still happening.

jesus fucking christ I'm getting motion sickness playing the Favela level in SP.

Only other game I've ever gotten motion sickness was retrun to castle wolfenstein and the orange box(HL2-portal-TF)

Level is fucking garbage also. AI knows exactly where you are and as soon as you pop out to fire they unload on you immediately.

X26

Banned
Sushen said:
Also, video gaming is only form of entertainment that people complain about the length of it. Have you heard people compaining movie X is only 2 hours long? When was the last time heard song Y is only 3 mins long? Even comic books, they don't count pages. This weird "value judgement" is really strange to say the least.

Not really considering the associated costs

Movie ticket - ~$10

Comics/Books - ~$10

Games - ~$60

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Is anyone else slightly disappointed by the lack of returning CoD4 MP maps? I was expecting at least one or two.

Since it's all based on the same engine, it wouldn't have taken much effort to transfer them all over...

Top Bottom