• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Everdred said:
The guys at IW are definitely not against marijuana usage. Some of the maps feature marijuana fields and there is even a title in MP with pot leaves.

If you're talking about Afghan, that's almost certainly a poppy field.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
DarknessTear said:
Great. Used the UPS tracking number and it says it was sent to my porch but it's not here. Fuuuuuck.
Call them. I've seen UPS tracking info say some totally wrong, wild shit.

DarknessTear said:
Great. Used the UPS tracking number and it says it was sent to my porch but it's not here. Fuuuuuck.

Damn. Do you receive enough packages from UPS to warrant them just dropping it off like that? I thought overnight packages almost always had to be signed for, but I receive shipments from UPS almost every day so my guy just drops everything off w/o signature.

Scarecrow said:
Are the achievements single player only, again, or did they cram some into multiplayer?
If you're on PS3 at the moment, they're not on anything. Good job IW, the first ever PS3 game to support trophies that doesn't support trophies. What a bunch of amateurs :lol

Everdred said:
The guys at IW are definitely not against marijuana usage. Some of the maps feature marijuana fields and there is even a title in MP with pot leaves.
That explains the feature above. Yay, now I have to play through the game on Veteran (woohoo, Favela!) a second time to get credit for it because they broke their own game with a patch. Nice work.

Those emblem's and title's are such a fucking tacky headache to look at, especially the weed one and the half-naked goth chick tied up on the ground. What stupid shit is this, some 12 year old's forum signature?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Chick's post has one line I really love:

In other words, move over, Rockstar. There's a new enfant terrible in town to embarrass and shame us all.

Enfant terrible :lol so true

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Thanks to Quebec's incredible language laws, I am stuck playing this in French. Yes I understand the game. No, it's not fun motherfuckers. Goddamnit.

Whatever, the game is still badass as shit.

Neuromancer said:
Anyone seen Tom Chick's article on MW2? It's pretty wild.

"Is Modern Warfare 2 the most disgusting game of the year?"

http://fidgit.com/archives/2009/11/is_modern_warfare_2_the_most_d.php

(Spoiler alert: I think he is saying yes, it is)

I think Tom Chick is kind of off on this one. His premise is that the scene in question occurs in the middle of some vacuous action flick for shock value alone. I think the scene plays into the greater premise of the game. This will get spoilery, so you will want to have finished the game:

Before the massacre happens, the game sets the scene up as your patriotic duty. It won't be easy, but it is the right thing to do and will save lives in the end. It also leads you to believe that this is what the game means by "modern" warfare. You go through with it because the game sold you on it. The end result of the mayhem is that tons of your own civilians lose their lives. You later find out that it was one of the main villains in the game that gave you the heroic speech and pushed you out the elevator door.

The game then pushes out a ton of death-quotes that question what patriotism really is at its core, most of which invite the conclusion that it is a silly thing.

Fast forward to the end of the game, and you are following a core group of soldiers working fairly independently of central command (which is in shambles). They are motivated to do the right thing as they see it. If the bad guys won, it would just become a positive history of the victors. No one in the entire world has reason to believe there is an alternate history. The soldiers want to get a true account of what occurred out to the public. The museum during the credits is the realization of this goal.

All this occurs in a game called "call of duty". The entire game is you experiencing different motivations to go to war. You experience someone telling you to commit a patriotic atrocity. There is a fight for your homeland, and they tug at those emotions by setting you in the suburbs, Burger Town, and the nation's capital. You see people going to extreme and impossible lengths for truth and what they feel is right. I'm not saying it is a great story, but I think its wrong to think that the scene is just some shock value inserted into mindless blockbuster.

r3n4ud

TheCardPlayer said:
Thanks to Quebec's incredible language laws, I am stuck playing this in French. Yes I understand the game. No, it's not fun motherfuckers. Goddamnit.

Whatever, the game is still badass as shit.

And this is why I buy from Amazon. No way am I playing games in French.

I guess I can try to call them tomorrow. They're not open right now.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Damn. Do you receive enough packages from UPS to warrant them just dropping it off like that? I thought overnight packages almost always had to be signed for, but I receive shipments from UPS almost every day so my guy just drops everything off w/o signature.

They've NEVER had us sign. It pisses me off every time I peek out the door and see a package. One time they left a 23" LCD box that clearly said "Samsung" on it and had a picture of the monitor on the box.

Tek

DarknessTear said:
I guess I can try to call them tomorrow. They're not open right now.

They've NEVER had us sign. It pisses me off every time I peek out the door and see a package. One time they left a 23" LCD box that clearly said "Samsung" on it and had a picture of the monitor on the box.

damn! that is crazy...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just a warning that the Gametrailers review is a bit spoilery in terms of showing visuals from later levels. I don't recommend watching it.

Alcander

Hazimov said:
Finished act 1. So far so good. :)

The user interface design is a major letdown. The game has one of the crappiest menus ever. Did they design them using Microsoft PowerPoint?!!
First thing I noticed too... maybe being a designer it sticks out a bit more, but bleh - they obviously have some really talented UI guys, which is why I was pretty surprised about the craptastic main menu.

Well, IW's logo isn't that great either, so who knows.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Wario64 said:
Wow...seriously?

Yeah game is easy now on Veteran, incredible

Three missions into MW2 on Veteran, I'm absolutely loving it. They've refined everything, and this time they really nailed the intense pacing. I just don't want to put down the controller. Also, so far no annoying monster closets. I can't believe I'm back to loving CoD.

X26

Banned
I haven't beaten the game yet, but am pretty close and within the context of the rest of the game the airport level is really unneccassary, pointless, and more than a little pathetic on iw's part

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
X26 said:
I haven't beaten the game yet, but am pretty close and within the context of the rest of the game the airport level is really unneccassary, pointless, and more than a little pathetic on iw's part
I don't think it's unimportant...unless I wasn't following the game right (which is possible given the disjointed and bland storytelling cutscenes) didnt the
airport scene set off the course of war?

X26 said:
lol.. if you're as far as you say, you'd know that scene was far from pointless.

xbhaskarx

So I'm assuming Call of Duty Classic isn't available yet... do we have any idea when it will be released?
Has anyone tried entering the code?

chubigans said:
I don't think it's unimportant...unless I wasn't following the game right (which is possible given the disjointed and bland storytelling cutscenes) didnt the
airport scene set off the course of war?
Indeed. I fairly liked the level after knowing what was actually going down.

Class_A_Ninja said:
I think Tom Chick is kind of off on this one. His premise is that the scene in question occurs in the middle of some vacuous action flick for shock value alone. I think the scene plays into the greater premise of the game. This will get spoilery, so you will want to have finished the game:

Before the massacre happens, the game sets the scene up as your patriotic duty. It won't be easy, but it is the right thing to do and will save lives in the end. It also leads you to believe that this is what the game means by "modern" warfare. You go through with it because the game sold you on it. The end result of the mayhem is that tons of your own civilians lose their lives. You later find out that it was one of the main villains in the game that gave you the heroic speech and pushed you out the elevator door.

The game then pushes out a ton of death-quotes that question what patriotism really is at its core, most of which invite the conclusion that it is a silly thing.

Fast forward to the end of the game, and you are following a core group of soldiers working fairly independently of central command (which is in shambles). They are motivated to do the right thing as they see it. If the bad guys won, it would just become a positive history of the victors. No one in the entire world has reason to believe there is an alternate history. The soldiers want to get a true account of what occurred out to the public. The museum during the credits is the realization of this goal.

All this occurs in a game called "call of duty". The entire game is you experiencing different motivations to go to war. You experience someone telling you to commit a patriotic atrocity. There is a fight for your homeland, and they tug at those emotions by setting you in the suburbs, Burger Town, and the nation's capital. You see people going to extreme and impossible lengths for truth and what they feel is right. I'm not saying it is a great story, but I think its wrong to think that the scene is just some shock value inserted into mindless blockbuster.
Wow, what an excellent post. You've articulated some of the points I've clumsily tried to get across quite nicely.

X26

Banned
Revolutionary said:
lol.. if you're as far as you say, you'd know that scene was far from pointless.

I'm far enough (whiskey hotel), and know what it leads to in the plot. My view is that presenting it the way they did added nothing over going the non-interactive cutscene or something along those lines route.

After playing on Live for around 8 1/2 hours, my only real complaint about the multiplayer is the spawn system. I feel like I get spawned behind relatively often, much more often than I ever was in CoD4. And I'm not talking about having bad guys spawn a few hundred feet behind me with obstacles in between us. I'm talking directly behind me (what seems like 10 in game feet). Does anyone else feel the same way?

DoctorWho said:
I've played through the game twice. Scene still seems pointless to me.
I can understand "pointless" in the sense of being able to control yourself during the level and whatnot, but the SCENE itself...?? It's the catalyst for everything that happens in the game!!! The war, Shepherd's attempt to silence those who are in the know, etc.
That's what I mean by it's far from pointless.

Im here to take the crown for worst MW2 player. I was getting my ass kicked over and over in my short time online. Not sure what im doing wrong, but my best game I had 12 more deaths that kills.

Pretty fun though, abeit frustrating.

Nelo Ice

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
So I'm assuming Call of Duty Classic isn't available yet... do we have any idea when it will be released?
Has anyone tried entering the code?

redeemed the code on live as soon as i got home

jedimike

backflip10019 said:
After playing on Live for around 8 1/2 hours, my only real complaint about the multiplayer is the spawn system. I feel like I get spawned behind relatively often, much more often than I ever was in CoD4. And I'm not talking about having bad guys spawn a few hundred feet behind me with obstacles in between us. I'm talking directly behind me (what seems like 10 in game feet). Does anyone else feel the same way?

What mode were you playing? I've only played about a half-hour of free-for-all, and felt that most of the time I was spawned in good positions. I did feel like I was spawned in bad situations slightly more than I was in the first MW, but with my limited play time, I couldn't say for certain.

Revolutionary said:
I can understand "pointless" in the sense of being able to control yourself during the level and whatnot, but the SCENE itself...?? It's the catalyst for everything that happens in the game!!! The war, Shepherd's attempt to silence those who are in the know, etc.
That's what I mean by it's far from pointless.
It reinforced the twisted nature of that character and it also serves as a reason and purpose for the mission in the latter half of Act II, which in IW's exact words, is the 'pivotal point of the story.'

Ovid

I don't know, it seems far easier to kill people in MW2 than CoD4. Now that I have the Red Dot sights with the SCAR, I'm getting 2:1 K/D ratios in every game.

X26

Banned
MattPeters said:
Im here to take the crown for worst MW2 player. I was getting my ass kicked over and over in my short time online. Not sure what im doing wrong, but my best game I had 12 more deaths that kills.

Well on the bright side once everyone has played a good amount online hopefully the trueskill or whatever they use should level out a bit and matchups are more balanced

Unicorn

MattPeters said:

Not being familiar with the maps makes me rage. No matter how much I play the airport level I still hate it with a fiery passion. All non-breakable windows annoy me,; too much gloss. I liked the flat texture in MW1 better.

Tadale

What guns are you guys liking in multiplayer? So far, the SCAR has worked the best for me, but I seem to run out of ammo a bit too fast.

jedimike said:
What mode were you playing? I've only played about a half-hour of free-for-all, and felt that most of the time I was spawned in good positions. I did feel like I was spawned in bad situations slightly more than I was in the first MW, but with my limited play time, I couldn't say for certain.

I agree, the spawn system (as far as TDM...which I play the most) sucks. Most of my deaths occur because I spawn in the middle of a shitstorm of some sort of. I'm not sure how it works but I'm assuming you spawn on (within the general area) the longest surviving player?

xbhaskarx

Unicorn said:
Wuts dis?

Call of Duty from 2003, released on XBLA. The code comes with the Hardened and up editions of MW2.

Nelo Ice said:
redeemed the code on live as soon as i got home

So it's out already? How come there is no Call of Duty Classic official thread?

Downloading now, 1.24 GB.

Top Bottom