• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Is anyone else disappointed that this is a lot more run-and-gun than COD4? It seemed like there was some more strategy and thinking involved in playing that than this. =(

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
DuckRacer said:
Creating a 10-hour-long campaign isn't a priority when they know people will spend hundreds of hours playing multiplayer afterwards. I wish they would've done something more with
Makarov, though. He starts this entire war yet at the end he begrudgingly supplies you coordinates and that's it? Would've been a valid excuse to extend the single player's length too, 4.5 hours isn't enough.
I think that was intentionally left wide open, just like the convo between Price and Nikolai at the end when Nikolai says he knows the perfect place. It's not exactly going on a limb to guess that MW3 is going to involve a badass revenge plot.

Basically at this point it's Splinter Cell: Comrades, The First Person Experience. Not that I'm complaining at all.

Also the voice acting in this game was awesome. I picked up on at least 3 relatively popular people-- Kevin McKidd ("THIRTEEEEN!"), David Keith (Goliath from Gargoyles and a TON of other things), and Pierce from 24.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Ugh, reading this topic makes me feel weird, having just finished the campaign. I actually thought the campaign was TOO long and I actually had a great deal of difficulty on MOST levels (was playing Hardened)

grap3fruitman said:
Is anyone else disappointed that this is a lot more run-and-gun than COD4? It seemed like there was some more strategy and thinking involved in playing that than this. =(

I'm with you.

About halfway through single player (2 hours played), and while it's certainly a fast-paced spectacle, I'm not really enjoying it that much. I don't find the missions very rewarding, kills don't feel strategic and hard earned as much as they feel random and pointless. Enemies spawning everywhere, almost all of them jamming up your screen from a great distance and hard to discern against the busy backdrops and particle effects. And with the way the shooting galleries play out, they might as well have kept the infinite re-spawns. I guess I'm missing the sensation of feeling like I'm actually beating the bad guys, instead of hitting check points or pre-determined "win" conditions.

Still, it's fun and it's short so I'll see it through to the end. But so far I think it's a step down from MW1's campaign. We'll see. Multi and Spec ops are awesome, no surprise.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
By the way, the ending
absolutely sucked with the boat chase. Hardly a way to end a game that actually had you in space at one point. Space.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
chubigans said:
By the way, the ending
absolutely sucked with the boat chase. Hardly a way to end a game that actually had you in space at one point. Space.
The story just doesn't really have any adequate closure for me. There are more serious issues left open than closed. IW likes to do that with their mid-mission story updates--they jump around-- so I'm assuming the next jump is to CoD8. But, uh, dayum.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Y2Kev said:
The story just doesn't really have any adequate closure for me. There are more serious issues left open than closed.
Yeah, it was pretty bad.
Not even satisfying at all. Not even a cliffhanger really, just an extremely abrupt ending.

grap3fruitman said:

I kinda feel the same way. At the same time though, I just think my tastes in games have changed, and the original wasn't all that much different.

DukeSucks

Was in a building, saw a flare and wondered why someone would drop a care package there. When I crossed over it, I realized it was a tactical insertion. I was about to smash it, but decided to camp it instead. A few seconds later, someone spawned looking into the barrel of my gun. :lol

So when I was online earlier today, I noticed I was ranked over 900,000 and something in the world. This was on ps3, is this for real? That's quite a lot of people playing within a day.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
So when I was online earlier today, I noticed I was ranked over 900,000 and something in the world. This was on ps3, is this for real? That's quite a lot of people playing within a day.
On Xbox 360 there is around 2,300,000. This game is no joke

Single player question :

In the mission exodus, you get tasked with going to some guys house whose locked himself in a panic room. Any idea who or what this bit was about ? Cant remember it ever being answered who the guy was and the importance of the intel you grab.

Dude Abides

Banned
I've played about an hour so far. Do the voice-overs stay this cringingly cornball the whole way through? It's so ridiculous you want it to be tongue-in-cheek but you know it's not. I think Shepherd has already said "History is written by the victors" twice.

x3sphere

Finished SP. It was full of wow moments but the end left me saying 'this is it?' Took me about four hours to complete. I don't remember how long CoD 4 took but it was definitely lengthier. Oh well. Game length aside, it was an awesome experience while it lasted. Probably won't get much replay from me unless IW changes its mind on the dedicated server bit though.

scoobs

Singleplayer was definitely a let down for me, and i agree that there are some remarkably cheesy lines in this game. Truly remarkable.

Dude Abides said:
I've played about an hour so far. Do the voice-overs stay this cringingly cornball the whole way through? It's so ridiculous you want it to be tongue-in-cheek but you know it's not. I think Shepherd has already said "History is written by the victors" twice.
Oh it gets awesome. There's a monologue in the loading sequence to the final level to die for.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Got up to
rescuing Captain Price
in single player. There are not as many surprises or variations in the gameplay as there were in COD4 (one shot one kill, death from above, etc) but I do like the variety of the environments more. Defending a fast food joint was awesome. :lol The oil rig was spectacular as well, they managed to make this game noticeably better in terms of graphics.

Multiplayer has been awesome other than both CTF games I played being extremely lagged out. Has anyone else experience that?

Jonsoncao said:
after my first matchmaking I was ranking 2.3millionth on the leaderboard...

this is just after one day...omg

As of six hours ago the global kill leader already had 18,000+

How early did some people get their hands on this? :lol

Jonsoncao

Banned
Revolutionary said:
God, I hate these rolling grenades. I swear it's like they're magnetized to me or some bullshit.

They just did. :D 1.02 is out

wtf? why xbox is just 1.01

IW abandons us xbots confirmed...sadface...

Raxus

Just unlocked the nuke online. (Level 51). Hope I get to drop it on one of your heads.

Look for the "Godhand" dmsilv1 :D . Couldn't resist the title since I loved clover studios. I have the red hand for the guerrilla faction as well.

After a little over 6 hours of online Ive decided care packages have ruined the game. They completely throw off the balance. At no point should I be able to call in an AC 130 gun ship by opening a crate that only took me four kills to get.

Just because everyone else on the map can see them does not balance these things. Ive randomly won games at the very end because I ran into someone elses package, opening it up to find a fucking chopper gunner. The shit is ludicrous.

Kill streaks have completely lost the impact they once had. When someone got out the helicopter in COD4 you knew that someone was kicking ass. Now, he could as well just have opened up some box laying in the middle on nowhere. It's not the game it once was.

While I'm in a ranting mood these maps suck. Favela. Garbage. So many different alley ways and rooftoops you never know where to look. Most of these maps are either way to big or way to small for someone who only plays FFA. And why do I keep playing the same 5 maps over and over in FFA. Why are not all 16 maps showing up. Maybe Id have a different opinion of the maps if I could play mostly all of them in the mode I play the most.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
being able to call the uav radar thingy after only 2 kills is getting to be pretty annoying. It's up nearly constantly.

Raxus

Care packages are more like mario kart. If you are doing badly the package can drop some awesome killstreaks to turn the battle around. If you are doing really well then prepare for a UAV, Counter UAV, or ammo (It is all I get anymore :( )

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Dingobloo said:
This guy certainly is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHsWZp5pWCo#

*Creeps back to the PC bitching thread*

That is pretty much what CTF was like for me, but Team Deathmatch, Headquarters and everything else was smooth. Must have just been a shitty host in both cases.

I'm undecided on whether I like or hate what they did with Headquarters. One one had, you no longer get ten minute stalemates over a location that is too easy to throw grenades to. On the other hand it makes it easier for campers since the location can to where they are.

While I'm in a ranting mood these maps suck. Favela. Garbage. So many different alley ways and rooftoops you never know where to look. Most of these maps are either way to big or way to small for someone who only plays FFA. And why do I keep playing the same 5 maps over and over in FFA. Why are not all 16 maps showing up. Maybe Id have a different opinion of the maps if I could play mostly all of them in the mode I play the most.
In addition to not being balanced for lean, apparently the game is not balanced for FFA.

(In all seriousness, I'm having the same experience I had with COD4 with regards to FFA -- good.)

Raxus

commish said:
being able to call the uav radar thingy after only 2 kills is getting to be pretty annoying. It's up nearly constantly.
Pack a missile launcher you can shoot them down and get a cool 50 points.

Almost all my classes pack the stinger missile now. The weapon is so ungodly now against killstreaks it is hard to pass up. Only problem is it cannot take out an AC130.

Mileena

Banned
The only thing that's ridiculously overpowered is the user gunned helicopter. That shit is broken, remove it from the game IW. I don't like many of the maps either... Afghan, Derail, Estate and Wasteland are all some of the worst maps I've played in any CoD game.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Raxus said:
Pack a missile launcher you can shoot them down and get a cool 50 points.

Almost all my classes pack the stinger missile now. The weapon is so ungodly now against killstreaks it is hard to pass up. Only problem is it cannot take out an AC130.

Did not know that. I'll try it out. Thanks.

Teknoman

ThePeacemaker02 said:
So night vision goggles?

http://gear.ign.com/articles/104/1043319p1.html

If you're curious about the technology at work in the NVGs, you'll be happy to note that the prestige edition gear actually uses legitimate infrared imaging rather than toy-like green tinted light. When in use, the front mounted lens and sensors emit no light, perfect for most late-night kitchen recon operations. As far as controls are concerned, users can alternate between green and grayscale imagery, as well as toggle low-range and high-range imaging. As far as imaging quality is concerned, the depth and clarity of the night vision is surprisingly good. Although the in-goggle display isn't of the highest resolution it serves it purpose well enough. Objects and people appear clear and focused with sharp edges and plenty of detail. The goggles come with two dials for adjusting the focus of the goggles, but for the most part, I reached a certain level of focus and never really had to readjust it.

The only real issues I encountered with the goggles were motion blur, which seems to be a fairly common problem with infrared imaging, and focusing issues when not wearing glasses or contacts. To the latter point, if you wear glasses and don't have contacts, you may have some issues using the night vision goggles. While even my thick black rimmed glasses were able to fit comfortably within the goggles during use, when I tried to use the goggles without glasses or contacts, the left and right angles of the image became split. Otherwise, however, if you've got 20/20, contact lens, or glasses small enough to fit into the goggles, your experience should be pretty satisfactory.

Actually not that bad.

Awntawn

I laughed my ass off at the end of the campaign when you
crawl towards the gun with the ice wall climbing mechanics
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

REV 09

just finished the burger king level...sp is really underwhelming so far.

the hour of mp that i played impressed me though. still a long ways to go before i form a solid impression of the game.

Jtrizzy

For those of you complaining, I thought SP was boring and kind of shitty at first too, but it definitely gets better. The whole plot is ridiculous though...worse than 24.

What was the explanation as to how the Russians got our entire Satellite network down?

Jtrizzy said:
For those of you complaining, I thought SP was boring and kind of shitty at first too, but it definitely gets better. The whole plot is ridiculous though...worse than 24.

What was the explanation as to how the Russians got our entire Satellite network down?
They hacked our ACS module, the one Soap and uh... you (forgot the name) retrieve in Cliffhanger.

Arjen

Loving the game so far, spec-ops is really fun :D
Multiplayer great as expected, but i really want my partychat back, ugh it was horror yesterday.

Top Bottom