• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
If all you're looking for is the SP, don't buy the game. This is a multiplayer console shooter first and foremost. You'll get 6-9 hours out of the SP campaign. Don't waste your money.

So I completed Takedown and The Hornet's Nest on veteran and didn't get the Turistas trophy likewise I didn't get the Red Dawn trophy for completing Wolverines! and Exodus on veteran but I got the Prisoner #627 trophy for completing The only easy day was yesterday and the gulag on veteran, what kind of bullshit is this? Do I have to restart the whole game? The game says all chapters were completed on veteran levels when I browse through the chapters.

UFRA

Kaltagesta said:
I don't know. I'm not a game designer, or even a wannabe game designers. But I know when I'm not having fun playing something. I don't find it.fun when you poke your head out of a door and you get a face full of jam. You subsequently 'take cover' back in the building only for a guy standing on a platform you had way of knowing was there blow the rest of your brains out with a shotgun. Of course, I couldn't see this person, thanks to my jam face. I don't know how I'd design the level differently, but for me that one really wasn't fun.

That just cracked me up. :lol :lol

Yeah, I really am enjoying MW2, and I finished the single player. However, all too many times I found myself pissed and frustrated that I couldn't see because of the blood on the screen.

It's just way too hollywood-ish I guess, or something...I mean, wtf you get shot in the leg and blood spatters in your eyes? Hmmmmmm ...

Everdred

No party chat in ranked multiplayer is the BEST thing to happen to online gaming since it was introduced. Halo 3 was ruined because of it, for me. I love hooking up with randoms in multiplayer and 75% of players in party chat really ruined that for me. I hope every game in the future does this.

bdouble

Put the disc in and jumped right into multiplayer. Yeah that was like 3 hours ago. It is so well polished and so far nothing seems cheap. Biggest worry was the kill streaks and I'd almost say they are more fair then the chopper (hated that damn thing). Already level 11z. Can't wait to ge my silencers and stealth perks.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Everdred said:
No party chat in ranked multiplayer is the BEST thing to happen to online gaming since it was introduced. Halo 3 was ruined because of it, for me. I love hooking up with randoms in multiplayer and 75% of players in party chat really ruined that for me. I hope every game in the future does this.
Well, most people despise online chat with randoms because most of them are miserable fucks that can't do anything but utter stupid slurs and other random shit. But at least you're happy, I guess.

voltron

wmat said:
If all you're looking for is the SP, don't buy the game. This is a multiplayer console shooter first and foremost. You'll get 6-9 hours out of the SP campaign. Don't waste your money.

dude I played COD4 so I know what to expect, and I will play some multi, just not enough to keep my skills at the level I would like.

9 hr is fine for SP campaign too. Especially withultiple play thrus.

big_z

just finished the single player tonight.... no idea what the hell happened.

multiplayer has been a bit daunting. there's so much shit going on and so many things to modify. +1 bird symbol WTF?

Sectus

Any impressions on the netcode for spec ops? Is it like World at War where you have to shoot ahead of enemies to hit them? Or can you just shoot directly at them and it'll register?

micromagic said:
Or play MP until the new patch is released which is what I'm doing.

1.02 is already out, I wonder if I should replay the chapters or not, I don't wanna finish the game on veteran right now because of this.

Tzeentch

Beat it, played some MP. Story was stupid and had so many laughable plot holes I can't believe they PAID someone to write this tripe :lol
(btw nukes don't have shockwaves in space, heh)

Still, aside from the Halo-ish final mission and Rio (aka "Hide in a closet killing guys as they come to clear the area") it was pretty fun. Really wish there was a AC-130 mission though, calling down bombs was actually pretty boring :(

MP is a BLAST. Super fast loading, maps are pretty easy to figure out, not TOO many camping assholes, don't care about the party chat since I just mute everyone anyways.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
holy fucking shit, what a final act!
the MGS4 make the button mashing prompt reappear after a while, regardless of how much you mash the button, still works amazingly well!

I just finished. This game is proof that a couple of cool sequences sprinkled throughout coupled with a great ending/climax can really leave a good taste in your mouth, when the rest of the game is actually kind of mediocre.

If Infinity Ward can find a way to make the in-between bits as interesting as the set-pieces, then MW3 will be great. I don't want a constant barrage of "LOOK AT ALL THESE THINGS HAPPENING EVERY FIVE SECONDS" (MW2 was already a bit too in your face), some down-time and all the rest is fine, but as it stands some of the shootouts in between were just tedious and kind of boring. I don't have a solution to the problem, but hey, IW are the arrogant "look at how great we are" team, if anyone can do it they can.

random thing: creative strategist :lol oh Bobby Bowling

but yeah, it almost pains me to say it, because so much of the game wasn't all that great, but the single-player, when it was hitting the right notes, was really, really great. It's nice to see a team with the balls to do something a bit different. So props to IW for that.

Games like this end up irking me in the long run. They're so close to being brilliant, and have the makings of brilliance throughout their play-time, but are really let-down by the monotony.

Oh, and I take back what I said earlier. There are very, very few sequences where I felt like the enemies around me were respawning. It's a shame the hardest, and worst, section of the game is right near the beginning (the god awful Fevela level), because it leaves an awful taste in your mouth. I would totally understand someone putting the game down and not returning to it after something like that.

annnnnnnnnnnd, the credits were pretty cool. good job with that.

overall a totally worthwhile game and head and shoulders above the majority of other military shooter single-player campaigns.

Everdred

wmat said:
Well, most people despise online chat with randoms because most of them are miserable fucks that can't do anything but utter stupid slurs and other random shit. But at least you're happy, I guess.
And I understand why they despise it but not everyone has friends that game (this guy) and the online community feels so dead with party chat. The PSN feels like a dead community in the same way because a lot of people don't even have a mic. I hate this.

mr_nothin

Banned
Sectus said:
Any impressions on the netcode for spec ops? Is it like World at War where you have to shoot ahead of enemies to hit them? Or can you just shoot directly at them and it'll register?

Sound like you have a craptastic connection there, buddy. Spec Ops is fine on my end. Never had any lag playing with friends. But seriously, you might want to call your local internet service provider, sounds like you have a bad case of the "lags".

AranhaHunter said:
1.02 is already out, I wonder if I should replay the chapters or not, I don't wanna finish the game on veteran right now because of this.
1.02 is out!! Who, what, where....how did I miss that. Didn't prompt last night. Has this hit the EU?

Nyx

wmat said:

Indeed, it sucks that I have to mute 100s of people now when I want to play a peaceful online game of MW2.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
mr_nothin said:
Sound like you have a craptastic connection there, buddy. Spec Ops is fine on my end. Never had any lag playing with friends. But seriously, you might want to call your local internet service provider, sounds like you have a bad case of the "lags".
he was talking about W@W

Am I the only one who doesn't like the maps nearly as much as the maps in CoD4? They seems to have the same problem that CoD: WaW had in that there is just wayyyy too much crap everywhere. Every room has 17 entry points, there's debris everywhere, and everywhere you stand has about 5 different intersecting lines of sight in every direction. Where's the flow of running around Bloc? Where's the subtle funneling of players into the battle like Crash? Where are the good sniper maps like Overgrown, or Crossfire? Where are the balanced maps like Backlot, or Pipeline? Most of the MW2 maps are pure insanity from all directions with all the doorways, and garbage spread about.

It may just be me not knowing the maps, but the CoD4 map flow isn't showing it's face here. It just feels like random skirmishes with 1-2 people at a time on most maps.

Don't get me wrong too. It may seem like I'm complaining a lot, but I'm having fun. I put like 9 hours into the game yesterday and haven't even touched the campaign. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Net_Wrecker said:
Am I the only one who doesn't like the maps nearly as much as the maps in CoD4? They seems to have the same problem that CoD: WaW had in that there is just wayyyy too much crap everywhere. Every room has 17 entry points, there's debris everywhere, and everywhere you stand has about 5 different intersecting lines of sight in every direction. Where's the flow of running around Bloc? Where's the subtle funneling of players into the battle like Crash? Where are the good sniper maps like Overgrown, or Crossfire? Where are the balanced maps like Backlot, or Pipeline? Most of the MW2 maps are pure insanity from all directions with all the doorways, and garbage spread about.

It may just be me not knowing the maps, but the CoD4 map flow isn't showing it's face here. It just feels like random skirmishes with 1-2 people at a time on most maps.
This is how I feel whenever I start a new game. Give yourself a week or so to get used to the new maps, then see if you feel the same way. :)

amar212

Net_Wrecker said:
...Where's the flow of running around Bloc? Where's the subtle funneling of players into the battle like Crash? Where are the good sniper maps like Overgrown, or Crossfire? Where are the balanced maps like Backlot, or Pipeline? Most of the MW2 maps are pure insanity from all directions with all the doorways, and garbage spread about...

And above is the only reason this game NEEDS Team Tactical back ASAP.

It is the only way to make things more logical and less chaotic.

Bring back Team Tactical IW, do it fast.

imtehman

Banned
just finished single player on veteran in 7 hours, working on co op with a RL friend.

rarely do i ever just get consumed by a game where i look at the time and realize holy shit its already 12. But damn the single player was so much fun. The pacing was incredible and i do agree it was super short and made me want more. There's never a dull moment in the game where it lulls you so much so that you just puts down the controller and say "i'll start it up again tomrorow"

I also want to say the spec op missions are fuking awesome. Haven't even touched the multiplayer yet.

i'm not surprised though at the lukewarm reception from some GAFFERS though, what with the dedicated server thing and CoD being multiplatform and all

Hanmik

Ok just to clarify some PS3 issues..

There is a bug regarding trophies. Not all players will get trophies... I played through half of the singleplayer campaign, when I realised that I did´nt get trophies. But I quit the game, compared my trophies with a friend, and then I recieved the Trophy List.. I did not get the trophies I missed, when I played the game again, but the next trophies worked fine.
IW has made a new patch public today Patch 1.02. this patch removes the bug.

There is a problem with Invites. The invite system is not like the other COD games on PS3. Invites are recieved via the XMB. You get a message and can join directly and fast via that message. This should be easy and fast. But this does not work at the moment ... BUT for once IW is fast with community support. They have promised to make another patch for this friday that should solve this problem. So the problem should be fixed this weekend.

The singleplayer works fine. It´s a fun trip through the various missions. The first couple of missions seem to be missing some kick, but after an hour or two you will LOVE it.. the game gets much better. It´s still over the top, but the missions packs more kick, and they follow a story.. although that story is lackluster. It is on the short side (around 5-6 hours on regular) but it feels just right in length when you play it..
And Veteran is not as hard as in any other COD game, people say it´s easy.. I have not played Veteran yet, but will try it eventually.

And when you have finished Singleplayer, you can start on the Spec Ops missions. These are Coop missions (but you can play them alone). These missions are variations of some of the singleplayer missions.. but the difficulty is ramped up.. these missions are hard and fun. Especialy with a friend.

And then there is MULTIPLAYER... which sounds like a hell of fun.. the only complaint I have heard is that the carepackages (that drop from time to time), makes the game a bit unfair. People can steal each others carepackages and the whole match can turn when some guy picks up a Helicopter Gun package or an AC130 package... but it is still fun, just that the killstreaks do not show (like in MW1) who is the better player, it often comes down to luck.. but maybe when players get used to it it will feel like a better part of the game..

I have only tackled Singleplayer... but multiplayer and Spec Ops will be played to death over the next months by me..

amar212 said:
And above is the only reason this game NEEDS Team Tactical back ASAP.

It is the only way to make things more logical and less chaotic.

Bring back Team Tactical IW, do it fast.

No no, it's not about the gamemode. These maps are like Swiss cheese. There are holes EVERYWHERE. It's tough as hell to call out a position when there are 67 intersecting hallways in one area. Of course, SOME maps should be intricate, and detailed, but some need to be more direct, and linear to rotate the battle around the map, and "lead" players into confrontation.

Blablurn said:
btw, i won every story trophy so far. and i installed the patch :/ strange.

Were you playing on veteran? I won every story trophy so far except for the Turistas and Red Dawn for whatever reason.

Hanmik said:
Ok just to clarify some PS3 issues..

There is a bug regarding trophies. Not all players will get trophies... I played through half of the singleplayer campaign, when I realised that I did´nt get trophies. But I quit the game, compared my trophies with a friend, and then I recieved the Trophy List.. I did not get the trophies I missed, when I played the game again, but the next trophies worked fine.
IW has made a new patch public today Patch 1.02. this patch removes the bug.

There is a problem with Invites. The invite system is not like the other COD games on PS3. Invites are recieved via the XMB. You get a message and can join directly and fast via that message. This should be easy and fast. But this does not work at the moment ... BUT for once IW is fast with community support. They have promised to make another patch for this friday that should solve this problem. So the problem should be fixed this weekend.

Hmmm I think I'll just finish the game on veteran and then complete the chapters that I got fucked over in and see if that works. With a huge ass budget on this game, you'd think they'd do some QA testing.

imtehman

Banned
MarkMclovin said:
Did anyone get slightly emotional in the *Warning Ending Spoiler*
pulling the knife out of your chest to throw it at Shepherd
scene? I don't mean crying emotional, but more like
OMG FUCKING PULL IT OUT!! GOTA SAVE PRICE UUNNNRRGGGGHHH
and then shout a big 'fuck you' when you did?

Slightly embarrassed to admit, but I also gave a WOOOOHOO!! in the
snow mobile
scene.

Jesus, this shit never happens to me normally. Must be getting old or something.:lol

of course, you have any idea how
freaking excited i was when they revealed Cpt Price was still alive, i'm so glad i didn't get spoiled by this and was genuinely surprised that he made a comeback.

Sectus

mr_nothin said:
I don't think it's due to my craptastic connection since I *haven't* played the game. I just wanna know how the netcode is before I get it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
MP leveling up reaaaaly slows down at about level 30. I'm 34 currently and miss the pace of zipping through the teens and 20s :lol

I'm very close to two 10,000 point challenge completions, though. They will ease the pain, a little. And by the time I get them both I'll be close to another 5K or 10K bonus. And thus the genius of MW2's MP unlockable cycle is here on full display :lol

Maximus.

Beat the game in 7 hours, enjoyed it a lot. I have the ps3 version, what sucks though is that i didnt get trophies for like half the game :/ oh well ill eventuall get around to playing the campaign again. Special Ops is pretty fun with a friend, too bad it cant be 4 player coop. Only played 2 rounds online, was a blast.

dakster

Neo Member
Sucks that free for all only has about five maps, played search and destroy and it has a lot more. I just cant get into search and destroy, pity too as that's what my mates play.

wmat said:

Yep. I bought this for the MP and from what I've played I'm glad I did. Campaign is ok but nothing special from what I've seen so far.

amar212

Net_Wrecker said:
No no, it's not about the gamemode.

It IS about the gamemode.

Team Tactical need to be re-introduced ASAP, with inclusion of both Capture the Flag and Demolition.

And Team Tactical Hardcore naturally, with all modes being HC, but this is just wishful thinking.

Everybody should bomb 402's Twitter and Blog with this.

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
Singleplayer is fucking dodgy as hell.

the plot is utterly incomprehensible, with large chunks of it just being ripped straight from Red Dawn but even worse "Defend that Burger King, soldier!". No idea who half the characters were or what their relationship to one another was, had no idea which character I was supposed to be playign as every level seemed to end with the player character either dying or blacking out. The supposed 'controversial' bit was sandwiched between two of the most jingoistic Team America sections of the game and lost all impact.

Set pieces were great but not something you could really enjoy a second time through. One of those games you sit through with a grin on your face and then at the end think, actually that was fucking stupid beyond all measure. Like watching Bay Boys 2 or something.

And only 5 1/2 hours long on regular.

On the plus side the horrible grenade spam and infinite hordes of evil doers rushing out of broom cupboards seems to have gone so its much less a war of attrition than the last two were.

Multiplayer seems good and much more balanced than the last game, plus more welcoming to newbies with better default set ups.

So far, 8/10 but multiplayer will have legs.

Rlan

To those who have Call Of Duty Classic:

Could you log into Xbox.com, check your purchase history (under "My Account") and copy & paste the link to the COD download? I want to see if it'll work for the rest of us :)

Top Bottom