• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Rat Salad

Banned
Its been fun reading the thread. Before running out to buy MW2 I decided to get around to play COD4MW first. Scripted as hell,but the pace and run and gun action is sweet. Though there are some areas that piss me off. The one where you and your captain sneak onto a camp and assassinate a terrorist leader,then wait for your helicopter to arrive while being shot at was so much pain. I mean what the hell,having to run out of the helicopter once it arrived and go and rescue my captain(that had been shot)...godamn.

Fun game though,once its done I'll run to GameStop and pick up a copy of MW2 soon enough.
Its still really great reading impressions of the game while I continue to move through its prequel.

Ten-Song

Man, I got this game at like 3 PM today, and me and a few friends just jumped into it, and I only just stopped playing like an hour ago, my clock says it's almost 7 AM. We didn't take any breaks... just... okay. I need to lie down now.

Christ, I haven't even touched the campaign or spec ops yet.

Feindflug

MarkMclovin said:
The point of the jam, is a visual indicator that your being hit/taken damage and you are to get the hell outta there. It works. The first thing you do when jammed, is duck, run away, lay down, say 'oh shit oh shit oh shit' whilst running away in the opposite direction, or whatever. It's also a small punishment for taking damage in the first place.

Would people prefer nothing happened?

Did you have any problems with the first MW which didn't have that crap? the jam only makes things worse - limiting your visibility is a visual indicator? give me a f*ckin' break.

How can anyone defend such a stupid and useless addition/decision?

Yes Boss!

Feindflug said:
Did you have any problems with the first MW which didn't have that crap? the jam only makes things worse - limiting your visibility is a visual indicator? give me a f*ckin' break.

Well, it is supposed to be handicapping. That is the point. Take more damage and the game because harder...like, take cover fast!

AkuMifune

Banned
dialmydrive said:
I need to get on this especially after reading this thread. I survived the midnight launch in West Hollywood where I didn't think I would make it home in one piece but haven't even opened the box. I am ashamed of myself.

You're ashamed? I had 18 friends online a minute ago, and all of them were playing this. I've never seen that before. And there were some who only play Rock Band or RPG's or sports games, too. I had to set myself to appear offline just to play Far Cry 2, I was so ashamed I hadn't picked up MW2 yet. Guess I need to ASAP.

Blablurn

by the way. got a trophy/achievements question (concerning act 3).

do i get the "Pawn" Trophy (Assault makarov's safe house) in russia or afghanistan?

Feindflug said:

Your making it sound that you cannot see anything whatsoever. Even at it's worse you can still make out your surroundings and hide.

GodofWine

Feindflug said:

Easy...you are BEING SHOT MULTIPLE TIMES...I think its a good punishment for being shot, and in a perfect world, you'd not 'heal' magically from that either. It may be the only aspect that brings more realism to the game (not the graphic itself, but the effect it has)

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
What the hell is going on with host migration and some cable ISP's? In CoD4 the game would randomly go offline when i was chosen host (because of the low ping), but now with host migration it directly kicks me out and other host is chosen. FIX THIS SHIT IW!

winnarps

I can't believe people thought MP would be unbalanced because of killstreaks.

It's a bit arcadey, but a TON of fun.

Then again, I play with a group that coordinates anti-air strategies. If people don't hide inside or take out the harriers/helicopters ASAP, of course your entire team will be decimated.

The controllable helicopter is such a fuckin' beast though. I went 40-1 one game because of it.

Why is it that people playing Seach & Destroy games (and other objective games) insist on playing TDM in them instead?

I'm absolutely gagging for some decent objective based games.

*puts gamertag down on GAF's list and hopes for the best*

any tips on multiplayer? i do ok... but tips would be good too

also, opinions on slight of hand? is this useless because i really use it alot :lol

glaurung

So I finished playing at around 4 AM this morning. ZzZ

Played some of the campaign, about eight online matches and tried some special ops, which killed me outright. Only reached level 6 or 5 online, because matchmaking put me together with level 20+ guys all the time. Those guys kept killing me with helicopters floating around and gatling turrets and whatnot.

Great game though. Decided to stop when the smack-talking degenerate yanks started going at it like knives.

Love the new maps, especially the smaller maps - this far in, the plane scrapyard is my favorite.

PS3 version because I prefer the controller and my XBOX sounds like a grindstone.

BigAT

So was the "Disturbing Content Warning" included in the game from the get-go or was that frantically added with that patch I had to download initially?

Is there any way in the multiplayer of getting the optic sight for the m4a1 ?. I only see the red dot sight and the holografic sight ?. If not, is there optic sight for any other weapons -not sniper- ?.

vehn

BigAT said:
So was the "Disturbing Content Warning" included in the game from the get-go or was that frantically added with that patch I had to download initially?

before hand, i didn't have any patches and the warning came up

winnarps

The S-Word said:
any tips on multiplayer? i do ok... but tips would be good too

also, opinions on slight of hand? is this useless because i really use it alot :lol

Depends on what you're going for.

I use Sleight of Hand, Stopping Power, and Commando with the M4A1 to start out. Use the gun enough to get the red dot sight / holographic sight, and you'll have an easy-to-use staple infantry class that's useful in a lot of situations.

Eventually the perks themselves upgrade to Pro versions (if you use them enough). Sleight of Hand Pro makes it so you can aim faster, which can be a lifesaver.

Make a Light Machine Gun class with some form of anti-air (RPG secondary). Swap to this if you die immediately to a helicopter or harrier. One RPG and a few shots from the gun, and you'll take down the aircraft.

I'm still fairly low level, but I'm planning on making a class with Marathon/Cold Blooded/Ninja (once I unlock a few more things) with a silenced primary weapon purely for stealth objective capturing.

As for killstreaks, if you're not good at maintaining long streaks, stick with the lower ones: UAV, Care Package, Predator Missile. If you get a good care package, it can really turn the tide of the game. Also, the Harrier Strike seems to be better than the Attack Helicopter.

Also, anyone notice if your streaks reset after a time (without dying)? I felt like this happened a few times last night.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Played some of the campaign last night and enjoyed it more than expected...

The first mission was not good at all, just as people had suggested, in that it was a tightly scripted corridor fest. It wasn't satisfying to play. I don't mind tight quarters when you are dealing with better AI, but it isn't all that fun when your game is a shooting gallery.

The mission following that, however, was better than anticipated. I had seen the E3 video, but I was surprised at how large and open the field was. It was still linear, but there was definitely a bit more freedom within. The snow mobile part, then, was all sorts of fun.

I do believe the game is making a better impression on me than CoD4 did at this point. The mission following the ship infiltration, for instance, was incredibly dull, I thought. This is off to a better start.

Have to admit that playing this had me wanting to put Killzone 2 back in, though. :D

Holy shit the sp campaign was so god awful. Who writes this shit? Roland Emmerich works for IW now? COD4 was a masterpiece in comparison. And those claiming it's not as linear as before :lol . 90% of the campaign was basically a corridor, even the parts that let you branch merely form a small circle onto the same exact path. And wow this was like the shortest fps campaign yet, ODST felt much longer than this.

I couldn't stop rolling my eyes at all the macho ranger talk about defending Burger Town and the Taco Stand. :lol

Gameplay is solid enough, like that bullets in general seem to shoot through objects much better than it did in 4 which felt more restrictive on it. Also getting hit has more penalty this time out as it really screws up your aim and shakes your view harder than it did before. The bloody jam effect on the screen though is fucking annoying. With the harder impact bullets have on your aim plus the visual blood, combat can be a chore to get through.

Need to put in more time into the MP now, past CODs have always had mediocre to shitty single player so hopefully this is as addicting as 4's was.

cameltoe

Net_Wrecker said:
Am I the only one who doesn't like the maps nearly as much as the maps in CoD4? They seems to have the same problem that CoD: WaW had in that there is just wayyyy too much crap everywhere. Every room has 17 entry points, there's debris everywhere, and everywhere you stand has about 5 different intersecting lines of sight in every direction. Where's the flow of running around Bloc? Where's the subtle funneling of players into the battle like Crash? Where are the good sniper maps like Overgrown, or Crossfire? Where are the balanced maps like Backlot, or Pipeline? Most of the MW2 maps are pure insanity from all directions with all the doorways, and garbage spread about.

It may just be me not knowing the maps, but the CoD4 map flow isn't showing it's face here. It just feels like random skirmishes with 1-2 people at a time on most maps.

Don't get me wrong too. It may seem like I'm complaining a lot, but I'm having fun. I put like 9 hours into the game yesterday and haven't even touched the campaign. :lol

I AGREE 100%

Az

It's really a totally different game. In COD4, on certain maps, I could sit at the same spot the whole game without even being worried that someone is going to get me.

MW2 giving you only one claymore and many entry points leaves me paranoid all the time. I think the only map where I can snipe decent is Wasteland and maybe Estate.

Out of the 50 people playing the game on my friends list, looks like its 95% positive so far.

Oh, had a 30 kill streak last night.

winnarps said:
Depends on what you're going for.

I use Sleight of Hand, Stopping Power, and Commando with the M4A1 to start out. Use the gun enough to get the red dot sight / holographic sight, and you'll have an easy-to-use staple infantry class that's useful in a lot of situations.

Eventually the perks themselves upgrade to Pro versions (if you use them enough). Sleight of Hand Pro makes it so you can aim faster, which can be a lifesaver.

Make a Light Machine Gun class with some form of anti-air (RPG secondary). Swap to this if you die immediately to a helicopter or harrier. One RPG and a few shots from the gun, and you'll take down the aircraft.

I'm still fairly low level, but I'm planning on making a class with Marathon/Cold Blooded/Ninja (once I unlock a few more things) with a silenced primary weapon purely for stealth objective capturing.

As for killstreaks, if you're not good at maintaining long streaks, stick with the lower ones: UAV, Care Package, Predator Missile. If you get a good care package, it can really turn the tide of the game. Also, the Harrier Strike seems to be better than the Attack Helicopter.

Also, anyone notice if your streaks reset after a time (without dying)? I felt like this happened a few times last night.

yea i got my slight of hand upgraded to pro and it's truly great, im sticking to the level 6 down killstreaks for now but using the turret... great addition. loving the game so far, thanks for the tips. I guess the FAMAS is a low level gun but i'vebeen on that.. love 3 round burst guns in games

Some of y'all should play CoD2 on Veteran for practice.

Multiple entry points? Hell, back in WW2 we were out in the goddamn open all the goddamn time!
If you aren't prepared to face certain death at all times, then why are you in the marines soldier?
Don't complain because you can't go take a nap in MP this time around. Sure, there should be maps that are more relaxed/sniper friendly in nature, but quit 'yer yappin.

Are you quitting on me? Well, are you? Then quit, you slimy fucking walrus-looking piece of shit! Get the fuck off of my obstacle! Get the fuck down off of my obstacle! NOW! MOVE IT! Or I'm going to rip your balls off, so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world! I will motivate you, Private Pyle.

That game broke me.

CAVE343

TheAzRim said:
It's really a totally different game. In COD4, on certain maps, I could sit at the same spot the whole game without even being worried that someone is going to get me.

MW2 giving you only one claymore and many entry points leaves me paranoid all the time. I think the only map where I can snipe decent is Wasteland and maybe Estate.

Out of the 50 people playing the game on my friends list, looks like its 95% positive so far.

Oh, had a 30 kill streak last night.

camper

Magik

Loving MP so far though its going to take me a while to really understand the maps.

Some of the maps are way to big and way to complex. Its like IW decided to go to the extreme opposite of the CoD4 map. Favela is probably my most hated maps considering how there seems to be multiple entrances to every damn room. :(

I'm still finding the hit detection to be very dodgy at times where I can drop a whole MP5 clip into a guy and would live where as he would drop a single bullet and I'm dead.

Edit: Host migration = <3

The defend Burger Town (and other generic fast food joints) level actually made me think that this part would have benefited in having recognizable food chains pay to have their restaurants in the game. It would have been so much easier for them to be yelling at me to get to the roof of Sonic or Burger King than for me to have to look for the little white marker that points me in the direction of a restaurant I've never seen before.

Just a thought. Could have been cool I suppose.

CriscoDisco said:
The defend Burger Town (and other generic fast food joints) level actually made me think that this part would have benefited in having recognizable food chains pay to have their restaurants in the game. It would have been so much easier for them to be yelling at me to get to the roof of Sonic or Burger King than for me to have to look for the little white marker that points me in the direction of a restaurant I've never seen before.

Just a thought. Could have been cool I suppose.

The puns they would stick in.... "make a run for the border go go go!"

Zomo

Ok, I remember reading that IW said that if their game search wouldn't find green games they would consider patching an alternate solution like the locale search in WaW (which worked perfectly, by the way). Anyway, I'm really hoping someone from IW reads this because they need to know that their search DOES NOT WORK as well as they said it would. I'm from Australia, and I loved WaW mostly because I could get full green games at any time of the day with other Australians. This is also the main reason I played 10x more WaW than I did CoD4. 3/4 times I search for a game in MW2, I end up with people overseas in red connection. I was disappointed when they said there would be no local search option but I was confident that when they said we didn't need it they meant it. It really makes this game annoying to play.

procrastinator

Neo Member
SuperÑ said:
What the hell is going on with host migration and some cable ISP's? In CoD4 the game would randomly go offline when i was chosen host (because of the low ping), but now with host migration it directly kicks me out and other host is chosen. FIX THIS SHIT IW!

Ever considered the thought that it might be an issue with the ISP and out of IW's hands?

Weenerz

Banned
Not a fan of the kill streaks carrying over to the next round, at least the vehicle streaks. Was doing S&D earlier and someone got a harrier while on offense and saved it for defense and practically won the game by himself.

Also, fuck the AC130 in the shitpipe. It's so broken how long they stay up there.

Psykotik

DMeisterJ said:
Anyone else having a problem connecting to MP? PS3 owner here.

it was fine for me about half an hour ago. took a break and tried going back online and i'm getting what used to be the DGS problem.

i'm stuck on the fetching playlists/updating ranks screen.

Top Bottom