• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Net_Wrecker said:
Am I the only one who doesn't like the maps nearly as much as the maps in CoD4? They seems to have the same problem that CoD: WaW had in that there is just wayyyy too much crap everywhere. Every room has 17 entry points, there's debris everywhere, and everywhere you stand has about 5 different intersecting lines of sight in every direction. Where's the flow of running around Bloc? Where's the subtle funneling of players into the battle like Crash? Where are the good sniper maps like Overgrown, or Crossfire? Where are the balanced maps like Backlot, or Pipeline? Most of the MW2 maps are pure insanity from all directions with all the doorways, and garbage spread about.

I'm finding less campers now than before.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Net_Wrecker said:
Am I the only one who doesn't like the maps nearly as much as the maps in CoD4? They seems to have the same problem that CoD: WaW had in that there is just wayyyy too much crap everywhere. Every room has 17 entry points, there's debris everywhere, and everywhere you stand has about 5 different intersecting lines of sight in every direction. Where's the flow of running around Bloc? Where's the subtle funneling of players into the battle like Crash? Where are the good sniper maps like Overgrown, or Crossfire? Where are the balanced maps like Backlot, or Pipeline? Most of the MW2 maps are pure insanity from all directions with all the doorways, and garbage spread about.

It may just be me not knowing the maps, but the CoD4 map flow isn't showing it's face here. It just feels like random skirmishes with 1-2 people at a time on most maps.

Don't get me wrong too. It may seem like I'm complaining a lot, but I'm having fun. I put like 9 hours into the game yesterday and haven't even touched the campaign. :lol

I feel the exact opposite. I've never liked the simplistic shoe box sized maps in COD4. The maps both in this game and in WaW are 1000x better.

-Amon-

I'm near the end in single player and while i find it awful story-wise i'm really liking the locations and how the game flows. I always find myself thinking "i'm going to replay that, was really fun" in any level.

Guess it's a good sign.

Only thing i don't really like is the on screen blood when you're wounded. It's simply too much, really hope they will reduce this.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Rlan said:
To those who have Call Of Duty Classic:

Could you log into Xbox.com, check your purchase history (under "My Account") and copy & paste the link to the COD download? I want to see if it'll work for the rest of us :)

when i click on i get content not found

Hanmik

yes the "marmalade effect" is to much.. you lose your orientation and just go prone and hope that an enemy isn´t standing next to you.. the blood splatter was the only reason I ever died in single player..

Yeef

Played a bit of the multiplayer. I'm digging most of the changes and the whole thing feels pretty smooth. The level design seems to be a lot better over all and the netcode is great. My only complaint is that there aren't any levels like Vacant from COD4 that more or less force close combat. That was probably my favorite map. Of the maps I've played in MW2 so far I think I like the submarine one the best.

leng jai

-Amon- said:
I'm near the end in single player and while i find it awful story-wise i'm really liking the locations and how the game flows. I always find myself thinking "i'm going to replay that, was really fun" in any level.

Guess it's a good sign.

Only thing i don't really like is the on screen blood when you're wounded. It's simply too much, really hope they will reduce this.

The good about having a lot of set pieces is that it usually results in better replay value, even though it might not make for a cohesive first time playthrough.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
another one who can't deal with the blood splatter. not only is it annoying, its hardly realistic is it. a screen wobble and flickering might be more appropriate if they wanted to recreate a sense of pain/disorientation.

I suck so bad at this game :( its so annoying because I'm really alert in real life, and a pretty good shot with paintball etc, but when I play FPS I just can't react or see things in the same way. I dunno what it is. It's like if I had a natural talent for hunting in real life, it simply doesn't translate to FPS, as similar as they are.

I'm hoping with training I can get good. Learning the maps is gonna be impossible for me though.

Hanmik

kaizoku said:
I'm hoping with training I can get good. Learning the maps is gonna be impossible for me though.

how did you come to that conclusion..? I remember when I played COD4:MW the first couple of weeks the maps all seemed VERY confusing.. but after some time the levels just grew on me. And then the game kicked into shape.. I hope MW2 is the same for me, because I haven´t touched MP yet in this game, I do not know if the maps are harder to learn, but I realy hope the can fit into my small brain..

You know what's the dumbest part about the strawberry jam? I couldve sworn FPS games puts the player in the body of a person, but from a first person perspective. The jam makes it looks like we are viewing the game from a camera strapped to someone's head.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Net_Wrecker said:
You know what's the dumbest part about the strawberry jam? I couldve sworn FPS games puts the player in the body of a person, but from a first person perspective. The jam makes it looks like we are viewing the game from a camera strapped to someone's head.
I assume it's meant to be a visor?

I got used to it by the end of the campaign. It did make me much more cautious about moving out from cover and attacking. I guess it serves as a way of making you really, really not want to get hit.

I can see what they were aiming for, I guess. *shrug

leng jai

Net_Wrecker said:

Apparently you have regenerating health AND regenerating blood.

Hanmik

Rez said:

I got used to it by the end of the campaign. It did make me much more cautious about moving out from cover and attacking. I guess it serves as a way of making you really, really not want to get hit.

I can see what they were aiming for, I guess. *shrug

I guess you are right.. but I liked the way it works in other games better. It´s like the rest of the game, a little to much over the top.

TheExodu5

Banned
In case anyone was wondering about the length of the game:

1zl3tk1.jpg

Overall, it was great. Even at it's current length though, I wish they just took out Favela. Really a blemish on an otherwise amazing set of levels. I think the game was an improvement over MW1, overall.

Oh yeah, and the story made zero sense. But whatever. Don't think anyone cares about story in CoD.

Rez said:

Mehhhhhh, I guess that would work for the character models using a visor, but not all of them do. It still doesn't make much sense being that blood rarely flies into the victims face when you get hit in the stomach/back/leg/etc.

Choabac

Apparently Fox and Friends are going to talk about Modern Warefare 2 sometime in today's show. They called it a terrorist game in the show's intro.

Kloid

Neo Member
Apologies if this has been covered and I missed it, but a specific question regarding the PS3 v.1.02 update:

Having completed the game on veteran without getting a single Trophy (but the game itself appears in the Trophy List), does the patch work retroactively (ie. does it read your progress to apply any completion trophies)?

Basically my question is: after adding the update, will I get a flurry of already-earned trophies when I boot the game up? Can anyone confirm/deny?

ShinAmano

So only played the first 4 or 5 levels...and I did not follow anything about the game, but it appears to me that there are no enemy closets anymore is that the case?

Feindflug

I started the campaign yesterday and finished 4 missions - overall a great looking game, with very solid frame-rate and awesome controls but the blood splatter effect when you get hit is killing the game for me...seriously IW should release a patch giving us an option to disable this, it's so freakin' annoying - at times I couldn't see shit because of this crap, how can IW thought that this is somewhat cool is beyond me...I can see the frustration because of this in Veteran. :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I had no problem with the campaign length. It would be hard to maintain that style of fast-paced action for much longer without it dragging and becoming tedious.

TheExodu5

Banned
Agreed on the length. I know it's short on paper, but it was fine for this type of game. It's not like you don't get your money's worth since MP is where you'll be spending most of your time.

The large shootouts are the worst part of the game, since enemies tend to focus fire on you, and your allies are useless little bitches that can't hit shit unless they're scripted to do so. Thankfully, there's a lot of variety in the game.

Kloid

Neo Member
big_z said:
how do you 100% the campaign? i finished it but it say 81%... does the intel count toward the percentage?

Yep, your Capmaign Percentage is the overall progress across all five of the bars which show up in your stats (so, the four difficulties and the intel).

I finished earlier today and I have to say I think the just as good, and probably better than CoD4. While it jumps around too much (what character am I playing?) and the plot is nonsensical, the experience, to me, is still a lot of fun. Reminds me of 24.

Haven't played spec-op yet and multi-player is what you'd expect. A lot of fun to be had with MW2. This is 360 version, btw.

Jube3

Net_Wrecker said:

LONESTAR!

Blablurn

TheExodu5 said:
Which one?

captain sheperd :( that bastard!

by the way. got a trophy/achievements question (concerning act 3).

do i get the "Pawn" Trophy (Assault makarov's safe house) in russia or afghanistan?

Manp

micromagic said:
1.02 is out!! Who, what, where....how did I miss that. Didn't prompt last night. Has this hit the EU?

as far as i can tell trophy patch is not out in eu. checked minutes ago and still got 1.01.

:mad:

Manp said:
as far as i can tell trophy patch is not out in eu. checked minutes ago and still got 1.01.

:mad:
Right cheers for that. Thought it was too good to be true, us 2nd class citizens will just have to wait then.

Net_Wrecker said:
Mehhhhhh, I guess that would work for the character models using a visor, but not all of them do. It still doesn't make much sense being that blood rarely flies into the victims face when you get hit in the stomach/back/leg/etc.

The point of the jam, is a visual indicator that your being hit/taken damage and you are to get the hell outta there. It works. The first thing you do when jammed, is duck, run away, lay down, say 'oh shit oh shit oh shit' whilst running away in the opposite direction, or whatever. It's also a small punishment for taking damage in the first place.

Would people prefer nothing happened?

ACE 1991

Modern Warfare 2, you officially have your hooks (ice picks?) in me. Well done Infinity, Ward I shall no longer have a social life.

Yes Boss!

SuperÑ said:
Blood stains are awesome. Fuck the haters!

Seconded!

Finished my first play-through on Hardened. What a wild ride. Totally delivered on the CoD experience.

Veteran is where this game really shines for me. Can't wait to tackle that. No multi for me...Modern Warfare is just a solo experience in my house. Spec Ops seems like it might be fun.

I need to get on this especially after reading this thread. I survived the midnight launch in West Hollywood where I didn't think I would make it home in one piece but haven't even opened the box. I am ashamed of myself.

Almak

The middle of the action battle chatter is nice but some times it makes me feel like I'm the only guy in the entire army!

"Ramirez get to the roof!"
"Ramirez throw down some smoke grenades!"
"Ramirez, take down that chopper!"
"Ramirez, they're coming in from the east! Go git them! Ramirez? Ramirez! Ramirezzzzzzz!!!"

God dammit!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
is it just me, or is some of the in-game dialogue really hard to hear in the game's 5.1 mix?

Top Bottom