• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Hanmik said:
how did you come to that conclusion..? I remember when I played COD4:MW the first couple of weeks the maps all seemed VERY confusing.. but after some time the levels just grew on me. And then the game kicked into shape.. I hope MW2 is the same for me, because I haven´t touched MP yet in this game, I do not know if the maps are harder to learn, but I realy hope the can fit into my small brain..

I say I can't learn the maps because I have a strange mental block when it comes to learning locations and directions. I rely on instinct and routine to get me to places. I can run around in the right general direction but I can never really LEARN them because they're so big and nothing goes in whilst I'm running around in the middle of a firefight.

I have a much easier time with gears of war, I know the maps intimately and can aim a lot more naturally. Weird. Maybe cos the maps are largely symmetrical.

daw840

Loving this game so far. Haven't had a whole lot of time to play, but I have played a few of the SP campaigns and the MP mode. Awesome!

A few thing I liked about the SP:

The snow mobile portion was frustrating but REALLY fun!

The mall portion, which I am assuming is the "offensive" part of the game, was an absolute blast. You never get to actually be the bad guy in any of the FPS games I have ever played.

When you come to the US, it's a really crazy feeling moving through the street seeing US flags on the houses, and everything looking like a typical suburban neighborhood and not some middle eastern warzone. Crazy

I don't get the criticism of the SP. SP in MW1 was just a side game basically. The MP was the obvious focus of the game.

Hanmik

kaizoku said:
I say I can't learn the maps because I have a strange mental block when it comes to learning locations and directions. I rely on instinct and routine to get me to places. I can run around in the right general direction but I can never really LEARN them because they're so big and nothing goes in whilst I'm running around in the middle of a firefight.

I have a much easier time with gears of war, I know the maps intimately and can aim a lot more naturally. Weird. Maybe cos the maps are largely symmetrical.

okay thanks for the details...
:D

hope you will have a blast with MW2..

stupei

dark10x said:
Played some of the campaign last night and enjoyed it more than expected...

The first mission was not good at all, just as people had suggested, in that it was a tightly scripted corridor fest. It wasn't satisfying to play. I don't mind tight quarters when you are dealing with better AI, but it isn't all that fun when your game is a shooting gallery.

Just wait until you're playing the sections set
in Rio
. Very scripted and linear, and they overcompensate for the AI by just piling them on to an almost ridiculous degree.

Anyone in Ireland listening to the Joe Duffy show?

Lot's of mothers giving out about "the scene" affecting their children despite there being an over 18s label on the box 3 times. They're completely out of context.

Looks like putting it in payed off. You win infinity ward.

Sigh, even with patch 1.02 some trophies are not popping up... Completed Cliffhanger in Veteran just now and no trophy.

Btw, If I clear every chapter on Veteran by selecting them in "Mission Select" do I get the "finish the game on veteran" trophy?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I listened to a couple friends fanboy-rage-a-hol about bloom in PS3 vs. 360, apparently acording to one 360 has more bloom.

WTF is this and why should I care?

We all got the PS3 version because more of us own ps3's. Which I thought should have been the deciding factor.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
stupei said:
Just wait until you're playing the sections set
in Rio
. Very scripted and linear, and they overcompensate for the AI by just piling them on to an almost ridiculous degree.
Bleh, probably not going to enjoy that. :\

It definitely has a lot to do with the AI. I mean, encountering enemies in a hallway in something like Halo or Uncharted 2 can still be a lot of fun. In CoD, it rarely is...

Mik2121

Damn, finally! Just ordered the game at Play-Asia earlier today and they already shipped in the same day. I ordered it with UPS, and the shipping is today so if I'm lucky I might have the game tomorrow evening or the next day as very late.

I hate being in Japan sometimes, though.. :( Why the hell don't they release games like this at the same time worldwide!? :(

Game is still 96/100 on Metacritic after 41 reviews.
5,5/10 from Users.
Most complains are not about the game but about what the hell the reviewers are thinking. So indirectly the criticisms is aimed at the game.
Consistency, some has it, gamereviewers don't :lol

Midnight launch I picked up the PS3 version and yesterday I picked up the 360 version and after playing both, I cant tell a damn difference. Framerate, textures, particles, colors, etc. Its all the same to me.

Tenkai Star said:
5,5/10 from Users.
Most complains are not about the game but about what the hell the reviewers are thinking. So indirectly the criticisms is aimed at the game.

It's funny how so many of the reviews crap on the single player but basically say who cares or it's fine, cause the MP is awesome game gets a 100. How many games get away with this? Reviewers are funny.

CriscoDisco said:
The defend Burger Town (and other generic fast food joints) level actually made me think that this part would have benefited in having recognizable food chains pay to have their restaurants in the game.
I'm pretty sure Burger Town is in reference to the place that Peter had his stroke in Family Guy, as kind of a thank you for having Jesus mention playing COD4 in another episode.

Hanmik

KoruptData said:
Midnight launch I picked up the PS3 version and yesterday I picked up the 360 version and after playing both, I cant tell a damn difference. Framerate, textures, particles, colors, etc. Its all the same to me.

yeps.. the game looks the same on both consoles.. but the PC version is much more detailed and colourful.. but we don´t need comparisons .. we need decent ONLINE servers., and a decent online structure THAT WORKS:.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Tenkai Star said:
5,5/10 from Users.

Well you certainly have consistency. You've been spewing the same shit, for about 50 goddamn pages.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Rez said:
is it just me, or is some of the in-game dialogue really hard to hear in the game's 5.1 mix?

I was playing on PC last night in SP last night and I was thinking the exact same thing. It just seemed quiet and I almost turned on subtitles. I probably will for my Intel run actually.

stupei

dark10x said:
Bleh, probably not going to enjoy that. :\

It definitely has a lot to do with the AI. I mean, encountering enemies in a hallway in something like Halo or Uncharted 2 can still be a lot of fun. In CoD, it rarely is...

Yeah, I didn't really enjoy it much either. :lol

For me so far, the SP feels way more linear than MW1, which is really saying a lot. Made it through the first 7 missions so far, so maybe things open up a little more later. I hope so, I want more like Cliffhanger.
(Although even there, I was annoyed when I clearly realized I had to use the C4 but the first few times I apparently didn't sneak out quite far enough to trigger the game allowing me to use it. Really bugged me that there was no button command where I could bring it up myself. Obviously I want to use my explosives, so why the hell won't you let me, game? That's an example of excessive scripting, at least in my opinion. Had no idea what was going on at first too until I just happened to move from the doorway just a tiny bit further on the third try. Otherwise, MacTavish doesn't say anything and just lets them shoot him. :lol )

BattleMonkey said:
It's funny how so many of the reviews crap on the single player but basically say who cares or it's fine, cause the MP is awesome game gets a 100. How many games get away with this? Reviewers are funny.
Not just that. The multiplayer is awesome. But they haven't added much since COD4, actually they have removed a lot of things people really miss. Which a lot of reviewers state in their reviews but they don't let it affect the score as it would other games.

Mohonky

Everdred said:
No party chat in ranked multiplayer is the BEST thing to happen to online gaming since it was introduced. Halo 3 was ruined because of it, for me. I love hooking up with randoms in multiplayer and 75% of players in party chat really ruined that for me. I hope every game in the future does this.

GTFO you have got to be kidding me. The majority of banter I here and what I've recently been subjected to this game is 99% garbage. There is no communication between team members short of 'fucking n00b' and 'I'm sooo stoned right now.'

Removing party chat is a big deal breaker for me and after just 1 full day of being subjected to this shit I'm already over the randoms. The usual chest beating post match, the screaming 10yr olds and hearing everyones sound system cranked to the shit house does nothing but make me hate the general public in online games even more. I was in a party chat playing the single player with a bunch of other mates in the chat room when 5 of the 6 of us were forced to leave one mate behind because in Infinity Wards infinite wisdom you can't play their game and use one of the best features on Live because heaven forbid a few morons might use it to cheat. I don't give a fuck if I have to stare at a black screen post death, just leave me in party chat so I can talk to my mates and not be subjected to the fucktards that made Party Chat so appealing in the first place.

MW2 now sets the precedent for other games to follow this route and I'm not looking forward to any other games going in this direction. MW2 smacks of being to up it's own ass with self righteousness that it forces players on Live to bend to it's whim. This game won't spend nearly as much time in my drive because of this shitty decision.

Also obligatory 'wtf happen to local searches' from WaW. I'm being thrown in more American and European games than I was with MW, at least WaW had local searches. Why they deemed it necessary to remove that feature is another wtf moment. MW2 is a brilliant game but Infinity Ward seem to be doing their best to make it as inaccessible as possible for players like myself.

Although Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has only been available for one day, Infinity Ward has already released an update for the Playstation 3 version. As stated earlier, the 1.02 patch fixes the trophy bug from the game. You will be prompted to download the update once you boot up the game with your Playstation 3 connected to the Playstation Network.

Another update, which will fix the party invite system, is expected to come out by Friday.
Yay!

I unlocked the first trophy last night but the second didn't unlock before I made it to the snow level. Hmmm...
I'm glad this patch came out before I got too far so I can just start over (for the third time).

grandyu

360 color is definitely more vibrant though i do see a lot of details being crushed from the over contrast. PS3 i noticed immediately is more washed out, though all the textures/lighting are intact (save for the bloom effect on reflected shiny objects).

nothing new, ps3 just handles color differently (more accurate?). If you're a videophile then not having over contrast crushing your blacks is what you want. but honestly, i feel the game looks better with the over contrast look.

i've got both.

partying on ps3 has been a bitch... how it makes you go into the XMB to use that goddamn message system.

Ah I see that 1.02 is out, good. I did that work around where you load it up without the patch then install the patch and then trophies should work. A bunch of them worked, but the snow level didn't, hopefully I can get that if I replay that level for the 3rd time.

dark10x

grandyu said:
360 color is definitely more vibrant though i do see a lot of details being crushed from the over contrast. PS3 i noticed immediately is more washed out, though all the textures/lighting are intact (save for the bloom effect on reflected shiny objects).

nothing new, ps3 just handles color differently (more accurate?). If you're a videophile then not having over contrast crushing your blacks is what you want. but honestly, i feel the game looks better with the over contrast look.

i've got both.

partying on ps3 has been a bitch... how it makes you go into the XMB to use that goddamn message system.
That has more to do with your combination of display and 360 settings, really. You should be able to achieve the same look on both systems with the right mix of settings.

i was very adamant about hating restricted party chat, but after playing for the past 36 hours, i have to say that they actually were right in doing so :D

I mean sure there are the usual pieces of shit who make the lobby loud, but all it takes is a quick mute for them.

The random and fun conversations you get to have with people are really great and party chat really did take that away. I gotta give props for making it game chat only.

Now for some qq.

FUCKING GET RID OF PAINKILLER THAT DEATHSTREAK IS BULLSHIT FUUUUUU
other than that multi is great so far

Philthy

ChiTownBuffalo said:
I listened to a couple friends fanboy-rage-a-hol about bloom in PS3 vs. 360, apparently acording to one 360 has more bloom.

WTF is this and why should I care?

Bloom is that colorful "haze" you see around objects in games. It was cool five years ago, now it's just something that drives most people nuts if they use too much of it. Remember back when colored lighting was cool in Quake 2 until you felt like you were in a Willy Wonka movie? Yeah.

Amneisac

Yeah, seriously guys, the party chat thing just makes no sense to me. We just kept playing Ground War last night because it would let us stay in party chat. Of course, then we kept running into nine man premades. Oh well.

I can understand it if people like the no party chat system because they are a super fucking hardcore purist and they don't want "cheating", but seriously, it makes the game way less fun. I can't even party chat with friends who are playing the game if I'm sitting at the fucking dashboard. I don't need xbox live to broaden my horizons and help me meet new people. I'm cool with just talking to the friends I already have, thanks.

Yeah, cheating sucks, but so does the carnival of racist 9 year old douchebags (who will all find a new way to cheat anyways).

soldat7

Spec Ops levels are too short. Fun, but too short. And I hate not having party chat. I've played on Xbox Live for over 5 straight years now, and I have no tolerance for idiocy anymore. Fortunately my buddies and I can still mute everyone individually.

ColR100

Mohonky said:
GTFO you have got to be kidding me. The majority of banter I here and what I've recently been subjected to this game is 99% garbage. There is no communication between team members short of 'fucking n00b' and 'I'm sooo stoned right now.'

Removing party chat is a big deal breaker for me and after just 1 full day of being subjected to this shit I'm already over the randoms. The usual chest beating post match, the screaming 10yr olds and hearing everyones sound system cranked to the shit house does nothing but make me hate the general public in online games even more. I was in a party chat playing the single player with a bunch of other mates in the chat room when 5 of the 6 of us were forced to leave one mate behind because in Infinity Wards infinite wisdom you can't play their game and use one of the best features on Live because heaven forbid a few morons might use it to cheat. I don't give a fuck if I have to stare at a black screen post death, just leave me in party chat so I can talk to my mates and not be subjected to the fucktards that made Party Chat so appealing in the first place.

MW2 now sets the precedent for other games to follow this route and I'm not looking forward to any other games going in this direction. MW2 smacks of being to up it's own ass with self righteousness that it forces players on Live to bend to it's whim. This game won't spend nearly as much time in my drive because of this shitty decision.
I'd just like to echo this!

Even though I kind of said the same thing yesterday, it really is a problem.

So the reason is because of cheating? Well I don't care if a small minority are cheating somehow using party chat, I play this game to just have fun with friends and not be 'hardcore competitive' (which again anyone who is in this bracket is a minority), and this stupid decision has just made the game a whole lot less fun when playing with friends.

JaseMath

Rez said:
is it just me, or is some of the in-game dialogue really hard to hear in the game's 5.1 mix?
It's not just you. Some of the directives in SP get lost with everything going on. IW should patch this IMO.

Dax01 said:
Sounds fun.

Does Ghost sound like Gaz to anyone else?
Maybe it is Gaz. After all, he was shot in CoD4, but we never knew if he died or not. Maybe he's a "Ghost" now and that's why he wears that mask?

Having party chat blocked is pretty dumb.

There are ways that they could eliminate cheating without cutting off party chat. Something like locking the camera to a team mate, giving you the exact same field of vision as them would be much better.

Pro tip: If there's just two of you, private chat still works.

soldat7 said:
Spec Ops levels are too short. Fun, but too short. And I hate not having party chat. I've played on Xbox Live for over 5 straight years now, and I have no tolerance for idiocy anymore. Fortunately my buddies and I can still mute everyone individually.
The spec op mission where plant three C4 and then GTFO. The one with all the snow blowing around is awesome. Mostly just trial and error but still awesome.
Memorable quotes from my friend.
"Okey there are two guys coming, wait unti.."
*I run up to them and kill them with the silenced shotgun*
"Nevermind"
:lol

grandyu

dark10x said:
That has more to do with your combination of display and 360 settings, really. You should be able to achieve the same look on both systems with the right mix of settings.

where do i go in 360 to set that up? i'm kind of a novice videophile, i calibrated each hdmi input (ps3/xbox) to have the same standards. so i'm assuming it's not my settings on the tv but rather how the consoles output the signals. only in games that is, cause when i play dvds on both they do display the same standards that ive set for them.

this leaves me the conclusion that the original video information outputted from the games themselves arent identical.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Jesus Christ why is this the 3rd CoD game where at launch there is no Hardcore Headquarters?
When they finally added it to Cod4 and Cod:WaW they are extremely popular, so whats the friggin deal?

TEAM DAMAGE NEEDS TO BE ON! or this game mode turns into grenade spam fest 2010.
Common IW get it together.

dark10x

grandyu said:
where do i go in 360 to set that up? i'm kind of a novice videophile, i calibrated each hdmi input (ps3/xbox) to have the same standards. so i'm assuming it's not my settings on the tv but rather how the consoles output the signals. only in games that is, cause when i play dvds on both they do display the same standards that ive set for them.

this leaves me the conclusion that the original video information outputted from the games themselves arent identical.
Well, the 360 and PS3 both have different HDMI color space options. Look in the video settings and you'll see. You can achieve the contrasty look on PS3 by enabling the HDMI full option, which is intended to be used with a display capable of the 0-255 colorspace. Without this, you end up crushing the lower and upper ranges and receive a high contrast image like th 360.

Um I'm a little confused, how would you actually "Cheat" in CoD by using mics? Like most of the time you see the enemy if they just fired or have a UAV up, but when you die you call out the enemy? Isn't that just solid teamwork?

Furthermore theres absolutely no ranking system like Halo its basically all Social, so who cares if someone gets a few extra points sooner than you? What do they get out of it?

Just a little confused at what everyones complaining about.

dakster

Neo Member
Looks like i spoke to soon, now keeps coming up " please wait connecting to matchmaking server....." what a fuck up!

Edit: Latest update for this software has been found, second patch i presume.

grandyu

dark10x said:
Well, the 360 and PS3 both have different HDMI color space options. Look in the video settings and you'll see. You can achieve the contrasty look on PS3 by enabling the HDMI full option, which is intended to be used with a display capable of the 0-255 colorspace. Without this, you end up crushing the lower and upper ranges and receive a high contrast image like th 360.
yep i've tried that also
it does bump up the contrast, though the colour is still no where near as vibrant, nor does it clip as much black info as 360. (not a good/bad thing, just what i saw)

Truant

I was a bit hard on the game, it picks up a lot after the first act. I'm actually enjoying it, especially the stealthy missions.

Mr.Green

No party chat is a fucking deal breaker and I don't care how many times it has already been mentioned.

You wanna disable it in some l337 h4rDc0r3 modes to please the competitive 14 year olds. Fine. But let me play the game with my friends without having to hear these fucking twats.

cameltoe

Meus Renaissance said:
I've seen many aspects of these maps in COD4. Sometimes it feels like they've just pasted entire assets into this. One or two are exactly identical

Ive noticed this as well....

Top Bottom