• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Irish

I prefer the maps in this one to the ones in the original. It seems like it's a lot easier to sneak up on people. To add to that, there is usually two or three people camping in the same spot, leading to instant killstreaks.

TruHero

Banned
slunk2zero said:
Its rather appalling the PS3 version has so many online issues, I remember this being the case during the COD4 launch. Surely they would of anticipated that at least a couple of people were going to want to play the MP section of the game. The number of pre-orders should of served as a subtle hint.

Any problems with the 360 version?

None for me so far. But I've only played about 1hr total on XBL.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
One thing I wish they had fixed but apparently didn't is getting thrown into games that are damn near over. It makes it impossible to care about the win/loss ratio when this happens. And the fewer people that care whether they are win or lose, the more you get people just doing their own thing in team games. Kind of disappointing.

BioNut

Banned
Is it just me or are there fewer guns to pick from in multiplayer.

I was really disappointed that there were only 4 sniper rifles and where is my drogonof?

Raxus

Irish said:
I prefer the maps in this one to the ones in the original. It seems like it's a lot easier to sneak up on people. To add to that, there is usually two or three people camping in the same spot, leading to instant killstreaks.
Not to mention there is just much more cover than the previous game. There is almost always a door nearby or a car for you to hide behind.

Nizz

Carlisle said:
Awesome. MW2 arrived on release day from Amazon with super-saver shipping. In yo' face Primers. But alas, I'm still trying to finish up CoD4 before I open up this one. Maybe after this weekend....
How is this possible?

So far I've been playing on Hardened and it seems a SHIT TON harder than CoD4. I'm dying all the time from stray bullets. Thinking about bumping it down a level, but I'm worried it'll be too easy. Anyone got any thoughts on what the most enjoyable difficulty is? I've heard from people the later levels get easier and it's not as bad as the beginning.

Barrett2

Grecco said:
Horribly late to the party
. But im in the Airpoart thing and semi disapointed that you fail the mission when you shoot the terrorists.

Yep. They could have done a lot more interesting stuff with that level. Instead is comes-across as very "videogamey" in its limitations, in a way that basically negates the emotional impact I think they wanted to convey with the scene.

Lyonaz

I tried some Special Ops solo today. Holy shit is that stuff hard on Veteran.:lol
I managed to beat the 2nd mission with the 5 waves in 9 minutes, most intense 9 minutes in this game yet! I hope all these missions are awesome like that. I do wonder if there is a sniper mission too.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm as big a MW2 critic as anyone (just look at my post history in this topic), but re: The new maps - you DO adjust to them. Because they're so big and multi-faceted it takes longer to really wrap your head around the spawn locations, the shortcuts, the flanking routes, the good line-of-sight camping spots, etc.

But you DO learn them eventually, and once you do you'll have much better situational awareness about where the enemy is likely to be. Can someone still pop up in an unexpected window? Absolutely. But that's war. :D

I'm not saying they're as strong as COD4's Crash, but that was a really really AMAZING map. So... yeah.

Played first two acts. Many times I don't know who the fuck I am shooting at. As long as target is red, I shoot hoping it's an enemy not some dead object. There is constant push to move ahead. It's like playing it in fast forward. Hope it gets better from third act as people are saying.

Irish

CartridgeBlower said:
So far I've been playing on Hardened and it seems a SHIT TON harder than CoD4. I'm dying all the time from stray bullets. Thinking about bumping it down a level, but I'm worried it'll be too easy. Anyone got any thoughts on what the most enjoyable difficulty is? I've heard from people the later levels get easier and it's not as bad as the beginning.

Yeah, I bumped it down a level and it was still pretty challenging throughout the game. Less cheap deaths.

I dislike the new freakout kickback that occurs when you get shot while aiming. I've been spun in a circle by that. Insane.

Willeth

KittyKittyBangBang said:
AAAHHHHHHHH! Im gonna have to wait on the Pit Boss achievement, I got to 33 seconds once, but usually get 37-40 seconds. ARGH!

Any tips?
I used the Desert Eagle and the SCAR. Make liberal use of the jump-to-target feature. Two rounds should take down every target, but don't worry about it as long as you don't completely miss. If you run out of SCAR ammo before you go up the stairs then restart, because you don't have enough ammo in a single clip of the pistol to take out every target after that.

Shoot the three targets at the top of the stairs, and reload your pistol as you jump down. Then just pistol everything you can. The Desert Eagle can punch through two targets, so mind that there aren't any civilians behind the enemy target. Half-way down they're sometimes set up so that you can take two out with one shot.

If you run out of ammo before the last two, knife them both and sprint - it's quicker than reloading the pistol. Don't forget you get time bonuses for accuracy, so even if you did it in 32 secs if you were efficient enough you'll still come in under thirty in the end.

ZeroRay

MirageDwarf said:
Played first two acts. Many times I don't know who the fuck I am shooting at. As long as target is red, I shoot hoping it's an enemy not some dead object. There is constant push to move ahead. It's like playing it in fast forward. Hope it gets better from third act as people are saying.

Didn't enjoy act 2 that much either but it was much better than 1.

Act 3 is where it's at though.

The lack of a
sniper mission like All Ghillied Up
was a bit of a disappointment to me, maybe theres is one in Spec Ops? I had high hopes for the final mission in
Afghanistan
when I saw the Ghillie suit but it was not to be.

Yeef

DeuceMojo said:
I miss Martyrdom. Read into that what you will.
I was never a fan of Martyrdom, but last night when I was playing I got "Martyrdoh!" which you get for cooking a grenade, getting killed and then having that grenade kill someone. That made me laugh.

I think I have to agree with the criticisms of the MP levels being too layered. There's a few maps that I think are fine (don't remember the names yet) but most of the others are a little too busy.

:lol

709971035_Jh78w-L.jpg

brain_stew said:
Telling myself what, the undisputed truth? Its the version with the best graphics, best performance, best controls (no shitty auto aim for a start) and its multiplayer is no better or worse than the console version. Yes it is the best version, its just not upto par, with other PC shooters is all. Check out these comparison pictures, there's quite a leap in graphics:

http://www.pcgames.de/aid,699195/Mo...owser&image_id=1220187&browsersize=fullscreen

Maybe it's just me, but the PC version doesn't look THAT much better. Not that it's not improved, but I certainly expected more of a difference from the way you were talking about it and considering the 360 is 5 year old hardware.

Zabka

Willeth said:
I used the Desert Eagle and the SCAR. Make liberal use of the jump-to-target feature. Two rounds should take down every target, but don't worry about it as long as you don't completely miss. If you run out of SCAR ammo before you go up the stairs then restart, because you don't have enough ammo in a single clip of the pistol to take out every target after that.

Shoot the three targets at the top of the stairs, and reload your pistol as you jump down. Then just pistol everything you can. The Desert Eagle can punch through two targets, so mind that there aren't any civilians behind the enemy target. Half-way down they're sometimes set up so that you can take two out with one shot.

If you run out of ammo before the last two, knife them both and sprint - it's quicker than reloading the pistol. Don't forget you get time bonuses for accuracy, so even if you did it in 32 secs if you were efficient enough you'll still come in under thirty in the end.
Why not just use the M9? It holds 15 rounds.

I used it for the whole second half of the course on my 29 second run.

Hobbun

So is the only way to do coop split screen is through the Special Ops mode? Or can you go through the story campaign as well?

Concept17

TheLegendary said:
Maybe it's just me, but the PC version doesn't look THAT much better. Not that it's not improved, but I certainly expected more of a difference from the way you were talking about it and considering the 360 is 5 year old hardware.

Its more the game's engine itself not being that great more than the hardware at this point. More than anything, the PC just has a lot more clarity overall.

So, after calling tons of people, and UPS saying they put it on my porch yesterday.. but I heard nobody, and no package is here... I called Amazon and they say the game will be here tomorrow. Let's hope it gets here...

Insaniac

anyone been having trouble with large parties trying to join ground war games?? I had a party of 9 last night and we could NOT get into one game, either it could not find a single game, or 2 or 3 people would get separated from our party and we'd all have to leave and regroup, wtf.

(360)

Jonsoncao

Banned
fps fanatic said:
The one thing I was hoping would be solid this time around. I still remember staring at a "downloading game settings" screen on PS3 and it taking a while to jump into matches. Maybe it's a blessing I won't have the game for another week or two.

Hopefully the problems should be ironed out by then. Are any 360 players experiencing the same thing?
you call yourself an fps fanatic but you bought this game for PS3 and not the definitive fps platform: PC ?
weird...

BioNut said:
Is it just me or are there fewer guns to pick from in multiplayer.

I was really disappointed that there were only 4 sniper rifles and where is my drogonof?

fewer guns? are you kidding me?

there is 4+ shotguns when there was only 2 in the first one..........

lawblob said:
Yep. They could have done a lot more interesting stuff with that level. Instead is comes-across as very "videogamey" in its limitations, in a way that basically negates the emotional impact I think they wanted to convey with the scene.

I don't know. It worked on me exceptionally well throughout, all the way
until the end of the mission where you feel incredibly used and your actions were a total waste...which was the entire point.

The game has incredible lighting. I keep getting these single frame flashes of reality in certain circumstances where everything just sort of creates a perfect moment.

The first level in
Brazil
feels cheap on Veteran. Maybe it's because it's a solo mission, but Jesus, there's too many people on rooftops. :(

Eh. I feel rusty. I've conquered every other COD game on Veteran, and this will be the same. Usually I'm not a masochist when it comes to games anymore but with COD it's something to do with pride. I am genuinely proud of my 1000/1000 on COD4 because of Mile High Club on Veteran... :lol

Square Triangle said:
So the PS3 version is a waste of time to play right now? Between not getting trophies and not being able to play online? Sheesh.

Thanks you answered my immediate questions 5 seconds after I put the disk in my PS3....

Now where's uncharted 2 gone

Jonsoncao

Banned
Insaniac said:
anyone been having trouble with large parties trying to join ground war games?? I had a party of 9 last night and we could NOT get into one game, either it could not find a single game, or 2 or 3 people would get separated from our party and we'd all have to leave and regroup, wtf.

(360)
someone in your party didnt open the port for his xbox or someone has a bad NAT setting

usually it is some two ppl in your party have incompatible NAT setting and then the whole party couldnt join any MP game

corpserot

Was taking the day off to play MW2... now 1.02...

I hate the single player too, just tried to play it a while ago. Not even worth my time.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Finished the single player campaign last night and loved it. This game feels more like a Michael Bay movie than any other game I've played. Nearly half the missions involve a helicopter, and helicopters just make everything more epic. If you're not jumping out of a helicopter, you're rappelling down a wall, or you're sniping from the Burger Mart. I have no idea how some people can be disappointed with the SP campaign, but I'm glad I'm not them.

Wondering whether to tackle Spec Ops with a friend or jump right into multi-player now.

JaseMath

To all those having 1.02 problems.

Go into your game data and delete the 1.02 patch. Try again to play online. Problem solved?

Yeef

Roxas said:
Patch 1.02 has completely broken PSN. Good job IW/MS. Stealth mission completed.
I don't think it was the patch that did it. I was playing fine last night after installing 1.02. I think the servers are probably overloaded or something.

Top Bottom