• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

DaFish

Eggo said:
Finished the single player campaign last night and loved it. This game feels more like a Michael Bay movie than any other game I've played. Nearly half the missions involve a helicopter, and helicopters just make everything more epic. If you're not jumping out of a helicopter, you're rappelling down a wall, or you're sniping from the Burger Mart. I have no idea how some people can be disappointed with the SP campaign, but I'm glad I'm not them.

Wondering whether to tackle Spec Ops with a friend or jump right into multi-player now.
You should try 50 Cent : Blood in the Sand... I hear there are a ton of helicopters in that one.

Seventy5

Got my copy an hour ago, patched it up and got some trophies in Spec Ops, but can't play online. Rubbish. I don't even give a shit about the campaign, I just wanna shoot dudes in the face. Thanks Activision.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Just finished the game, the ending felt unsatisfying but overall the campaign was awesome...

MW3 will probably take us into the invasion of Moscow

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Weird! I played for like 6 hours last night after downloading the patch.

I guess this is those assholes way of getting people like me to play their shitty SP mode. :lol

Animator

Gary Whitta said:

He means the game looks like ass. I have to agree.

Some mp levels look like you are playing CS: Source. The single player looks like ass as well with no dynamic objects to be found anywhere. I was shooting at some cardboard boxes just now and apparently they are rpg proof.

Im quite sure mw1 looked much better in single and multiplayer than mw2.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This definitely isn't patch related; it's on IW's side. Phooey, I wanted to play a few rounds too.

So uh, where can I find some info on multiplayer? Like what do those flare sticks do in the sniper class?

Animator said:

Some mp levels look like you are playing CS: Source. The single player looks like ass as well with no dynamic objects to be found anywhere. I was shooting at some cardboard boxes just now and apparently they are rpg proof.

I LOL'd

Animator

chubigans said:
This definitely isn't patch related; it's on IW's side. Phooey, I wanted to play a few rounds too.

So uh, where can I find some info on multiplayer? Like what do those flare sticks do in the sniper class?

Those flare sticks are like the tactician spawn grenades in kz2. I dont know if its just for you or your whole team though.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
the Night goggles is awesome :O

SP is not that good yet ( I am still at the start , 4th level ) , MW1 first levels were better imo.

Arhal_Katarn said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol WTF.

it's a meme , born during Killzone 2 release when people blamed Guerrilla for all and every PSN or online problems and asked them to fix the problem , "Fix this Shit Guerrilla!" was all over the GAF .

DaFish

chubigans said:

The Green Flare stick lets you spawn the the same spot you drop a flare at...

Just got my PS3 copy. Gonna play sp later. Probably won't hit up the multiplayer until the weekend so whatever issues there are, I hope they're fixed by then.

LowParry

Animator said:

I'm soooo waiting for your comparison shots next!

tomi123 said:
fourzerotwo:

@OPM_UK The amount of players on #MW2 PSN overwhelmed the PSN presence server which updates "what you're doing" and is essential to parties.39 minutes ago from Tweetie in reply to OPM_UK
Quoted for the people with PSN problems. It's not 1.02, it's the PSN presence server, apparently.

Setanta

Downloaded PS3 Patch 1.02

KILLS Online Multiplayer.

If it is Patch related with the Downtime: Get it sorted IW! Check your patches before you release them.

If not: Get it sorted IW.

grandyu

re: all the people who are praising the storytelling

you guys actually know what the fuck is going on? the 'story' is amazingly incoherent. it jumps from so many points of views, so many locations, there's really no narrative flow.

i love the scenarios, dont get me wrong, but they're just strung together haphazardly. IW even admitted that themselves. they dictated the order of the missions by how fun it is to play, with the storytelling taking a backseat.

i guess it was the same for the first game, but i was so caught up on the 'modern warfare' aspect to care. this time around it just seems like they're throwing military jargon to distract you from the fact that the plot is wack.

Animator

CcrooK said:
I'm soooo waiting for your comparison shots next!

Umm no I dont give a shit. the mp is fun and thats all that matters to me.

Glad you guys like the gfx. Didnt mean to anger the mw2 defence force.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Adding more servers to meet MP demand.

Jeez, for all the talk about this game being the biggest seller in the history of everything, it strikes me as odd that they wouldn't have enough servers day one.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, that's not true at all. While I don't think MW2 is amazing to behold, it definitely looks better than the original. *MUCH* better textures, superior lighting, more complex map geometry, etc etc.

Barrett2

Seems pretty obvious to me that the MP maps look better than in MW1. There is a noticeable improvement. The textures & lighting have been greatly improved in the MP maps.

The game definitely doesn't look like ass; COD4 still looks good, and it's about on par with that, maybe a tad better, so it's definitely not an ugly game. I do agree that the bar has been raised, and it doesn't quite match up to some of the best looking games out there now, but for 60FPS it looks good enough.

I don't think the soundtrack is getting enough credit. It is phenomenal! I especially love this track; it gives me goosebumps around the 2:34 mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj_rw8wcHfw&feature=related

Animator

dark10x said:
OK, that's not true at all. While I don't think MW2 is amazing to behold, it definitely looks better than the original. *MUCH* better textures, superior lighting, more complex map geometry, etc etc.

I have yet to see a level as impressive as the all ghillied up level in mw1 in this game.

A.R.K

bomb_jack said:
Just got home from work and installed the WONDERFUL patch that breaks online completely.

FOR FUCKS SAKE.

This is so pathetic on part of IW who are considered one of the top devs in the industry. How could they fucking let this game out when they knew the online was almost unplayable. I understand that online games always have launch issues but at least you can play it. Are they so arrogant that they can't have a beta fot their games to iron out the most basic online issues? How come they never have a beta or drop a demo for their games? How come no media fucking called on them when the MP is broken but I have seen media not even considering to review a game when its MP was broken? Why the exclusive treatement?

I am waiting till friday for a proper fix to come for the PS3. If that does not work I will return my copy. I have plenty of other better games to play for now and get it for cheaper later when they fucking fix their shit!

dark10x said:

Yeah, you'd have to be pretty blind and stupid not to notice it does look quite a bit better. It's amazing what IW has managed to squeeze out of such an ancient underlying engine.

Wallach

Animator said:

Man, what.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Animator said:
I have yet to see a level as impressive as the all ghillied up level in mw1 in this game.
That level wasn't that impressive, though. It was a bunch of ugly foliage spread out over a large area.

Anyone else had troubles installing through Steam?

It downloaded nicely (took over 4 hours, but still) and now when I try to launch it, it says

'could not load Localization.txt'
Please make sure Modern Warfare 2 is run from the correct location.

And yes, I did buy the game, I'm not a pirating smuck.

Nizz

Jonsoncao said:
you call yourself an fps fanatic but you bought this game for PS3 and not the definitive fps platform: PC ?
weird...
No. I don't care about the platform I'm playing the game on, as long as it's an fps game, I love em.

I understand that fps games and the PC go hand in hand. Better graphics, mouse look. But I've never owned a PC capable of playing games decently.

Plus pretty much all my life I've played games on consoles, so that's what I'm comfortable with.

Not to say I'll never play games on PC if I finally get a PC capable of playing the latest games nicely. If the opportunity comes up for me, sure I'll try.

A.R.K said:
This is so pathetic on part of IW who are considered one of the top devs in the industry. How could they fucking let this game out when they knew the online was almost unplayable. I understand that online games always have launch issues but at least you can play it. Are they so arrogant that they can't have a beta fot their games to iron out the most basic online issues? How come they never have a beta or drop a demo for their games? How come no media fucking called on them when the MP is broken but I have seen media not even considering to review a game when its MP was broken? Why the exclusive treatement?

I am waiting till friday for a proper fix to come for the PS3. If that does not work I will return my copy. I have plenty of other better games to play for now and get it for cheaper later when they fucking fix their shit!
Even if there was a beta, it probably would have been for the 360 only anyway, like the first Modern Warfare...

Foliorum Viridum said:
The first level in
Brazil
feels cheap on Veteran. Maybe it's because it's a solo mission, but Jesus, there's too many people on rooftops. :(

Eh. I feel rusty. I've conquered every other COD game on Veteran, and this will be the same. Usually I'm not a masochist when it comes to games anymore but with COD it's something to do with pride. I am genuinely proud of my 1000/1000 on COD4 because of Mile High Club on Veteran... :lol

I felt the same way. The game suggested Hardened to me after the course run-through, but with work and shit now, I just don't have the tolerance or patience for Hardened, even though I ran through COD4 on Hardened and 3-4 missions on Vet.

But goddamn, even on regular, I thought the first 1 mission with the humvee and the mission in the Brazil slums were REDICULOUS. I thought to myself, thank god I didn't choose Hardened, I would've just quit playing. My face was full of strawberry jam throughout those levels.

winnarps

Animator said:

S9k5H.jpg

VS.

Lp15n.jpg

VS.

rVQ5e.jpg

Wtf are you smoking?

ZZMitch

Animator said:

Fight the good fight! We all know that sequels have worse graphics then the original! You tell em!

kevm3

The ps3 invite/party system sucks. It's extremely clunky having to hit the PS button, waiting for that to load up, scroll over to new messages, click that, then click the invite. Sony really needs to streamline their processes more.

As far as the overall feel of the game, I find the game decent, but honestly, I thought it would be better. This game doesn't even really feel better than COD4. Just different. The gameplay is very smooth and the lobby system is a lot better. I also love the fact snipers can't hole themselves up in a little spot and plant claymores all over the place. The lack of juggernaut also is great.

What I am missing is the visceral feel. The guns don't seem to have that rip that they did in MW1. The new, big stages are a mixed bag as well. I wouldn't mind them if there were more than 6 people per team, but a lot of the matches it can take forever to find someone. Sometimes I have a great game, but I just don't feel the excitement that I did in MW.

Eiolon

Banzaiaap said:
Anyone else had troubles installing through Steam?

It downloaded nicely (took over 4 hours, but still) and now when I try to launch it, it says

'could not load Localization.txt'
Please make sure Modern Warfare 2 is run from the correct location.

And yes, I did buy the game, I'm not a pirating smuck.

Looks like it has something to do with the CD key:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1020444

People are getting keys that are from unauthorized sellers or keys for different languages.

AHappyPanda said:
I felt the same way. The game suggested Hardened to me after the course run-through, but with work and shit now, I just don't have the tolerance or patience for Hardened, even though I ran through COD4 on Hardened and 3-4 missions on Vet.

But goddamn, even on regular, I thought the first 1 mission with the humvee and the mission in the Brazil slums where REDICULOUS. I thought to myself, thank god I didn't choose Hardened, I would've just quit playing.
They suggested Casual for me because once I shot two civilians I was overly careful. :lol I decided to go through on Regular first time though because the cinematic moments are really lost on you if you're dying every 20 seconds and have to replay it over and over.

I nailed Brazil now though. Woot.

Barrett2

ZZMitch said:
Fight the good fight! We all know that sequels have worse graphics then the original! You tell em!

He has to be a troll. Honestly, Ghillied Up was one of the most visually bland levels in MW1. Its just a brown field and abandoned grey buildings during an overcast day, FFS! :lol

hc2

It seems like only yesterday when players were complaining about Trophy-related issues in the PS3 version of Modern Warfare 2. Wait a sec -- it was yesterday. According to a tweet by Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling, a "trophy update" has been released. However, while said update fixes one problem, it apparently creates another. "It killed all multiplayer activity on MW2," tipster True_Darknight tells Joystiq. Today, launching the multiplayer mode from our own PS3 copy of Modern Warfare 2 did indeed prove futile, as we stared at the matchmaking screen for about five minutes before finally giving up.

According to Bowling, PS3 owners can expect a "party invite update by Friday," which should hopefully resolve this issue. Until then, players will have to make due with the single-player campaign. It's not like this "multiplayer" thing is important, right?

Update: Tipster Kenneth B. pointed us to a tweet from Activision support that says the MW2 outage is "totally unrelated to the patch." While this means a fix can be done before Friday, he admits "we don't have a hard ETA on the servers coming back up." We'll be keeping track of this problem, but don't forget to send us your tips.

Server overload, millions of folks getting out of school, off work, etc and adding to the load.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
PS3 servers being upgraded, are down, will be up shortly.

fourzerotwo said:
It's related to the servers being down at the moment during an upgrade. It'll be fixed when the servers come back up.

Top Bottom