• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Raxus

Scooter said:
IW is a joke. They ruined the PC version, they released the PS3 version with bugs and they didn't prepare the servers.
Uh... the servers isn't IW problem.

You have a point on PC.

venom2124

GhostofGraceKelly said:
so, what gun is good at aiming balanced with power?
also what perks are good?
i ask because im virtually new to cod
and im a girl
A good starting loadout is to use the M4 with sleight of hand, stopping power, and steady aim. That way, you're covered in close quarters and long distance firefights. The M4 iron sights turn some people off but you unlock the red dot sight quickly.

venom2124 said:
A good starting loadout is to use the M4 with sleight of hand, stopping power, and steady aim. That way, you're covered in close quarters and long distance firefights. The M4 iron sights turn some people off but you unlock the red dot sight quickly.

Agreed! :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I must say, this is probably one of the most negative big releases I've seen in a while. A lot of people are dogging the game, which is rare for big titles like this. Even with games that end up being considered disappointments, the initial couple days are usually filled with nothing but praise and positive feedback.

I don’t care what your virtual experience is or what theme it has. What you’re doing is sitting indoors, probably alone, staring at a screen and moving only your thumbs while the creative part of your brain atrophies into a lump along with the rest of your body.
Pretty cool, I suppose – if you’re living in a nursing home.
I hate hearing shit like that when plenty of other so called "legitimate hobbies" consist of just as much activity. One can become unhealthily addicted to anything, but that doesn't make the hobby inherently BAD. Very short sighted...

Scooter

Banned
Btw the only way I could describe the campaing is cheap. AI of the enemies and level design is pathetic so you can't use different strategies like in other FPS games like Halo. And since AI is pathetic the way you die is also cheap, usually from being surprised by some enemy that you didn't expect.

Synless

GillianSeed79 said:
Finished SP this morning. I have to say that the levels ranged from awesome to why am I playing this offline?

Task Force 141's missions were really the only standout ones that were actually fun though.

Also IW really needs to explain things a little better storywise. I think I know what happened, but the why is never answered, save for possibly one sentence in the last level.
I was thinking the same thing when I was playing. I think I know exactly what happened....but I'm not sure.

Mileena

Banned
M4 is a really good starting weapon, probably the best since it's so easy to use. I used it till 24 but now it's P90 all day.

Irish said:
The throwing knives have to be the greatest things ever. Nothing is more fun than running around in the Snake CQC stance and knifing everything in sight. Plus, you get those "long" distance kills with the throwing knives.

Another fun thing to do:

Get several people, play in third person, and use shields and throwing knives. Bashing shields against each other is extremely fun.

Haha I had a few awesome knife kills, one was the guy jumped out at me and I thought i threw a sticky grenade, chucked it and it killed him 3ft away from me.

Another was a guy shot me so I snuck up on him and threw one at his head and I got an awesome bonus for throwing knife revenge :lol

RedAssedApe

Banned
When you mute someone on Xbox Live does it just mean you can't hear them or does it also mean they can no longer hear you when you talk to the rest of the people on your team?

snap0212

Raxus said:
Uh... the servers isn't IW problem.
Who's fault do you think it is? Seems like they weren't prepared for the launch (didn't have enough servers running). 100% Infinity Ward's fault, as far as I can see.

edit: I just wanna play. :(

Raxus

corkscrewblow said:
M4 is a really good starting weapon, probably the best since it's so easy to use. I used it till 24 but now it's P90 all day.
P90 can't get the distance the M4, FAMAS, and M16 can cover though.

R2D4

Banned
Biggest game of the year and they have to add more servers. Don't these companies ever anticipate demand correctly?

d0c_zaius

MirageDwarf said:
First thing that should be in next patch is an option to disable blood splattering.

while id like this, its pretty unlikely.

At least reduce the effect when landing from a jump = exploding kneecaps in my face

LevityNYC

Banned
Does anyone know if the strategy guides for this game are any good?

Obviously I don't give a fuck about the single player strategy, I just want good pull out maps for multiplayer. I'm tired about going 3-20 because I dont know the maps yet.

Nachkebia

Banned
strawberry-jam.jpg

McLovin

I went against my better judgement and bought the ps3 version for my friends. Im more active on psn then xbl. But that's the last time, a fix by friday? This is bullshit.

Irish

KittyKittyBangBang said:
I use the Desert Eagle and the SCAR, but the SCAR runs out of bullets before I even make it up stairs. Fastest time I could get with SCAR/DE is 35 sec (33 after bonus) I tried probably 15-20 times last night.

Maybe the DE/M9 combo would be better, the reload time is what kills me

AK and USP .45

My best time with that combo was somewhere around 28 seconds. I've only fooled with it for a half hour or so though.

My favorite two levels from the Modern Warfare games were the Pit and the CQB test. Please create more. They are much more fun than shooting brainless enemies.

snap0212

McLovin said:
I went against my better judgement and bought the ps3 version for my friends. Im more active on psn then xbl. But that's the last time, a fix by friday? This is bullshit.
Not Sony's fault. :)

Loxley

I just read that MW2's day-one sales in the UK were 1.27 million; fucking double that of the previous record holder (GTA IV), which sold around 631,000 copies on it's first day. I mean, Jesus. I'm almost scared to to see what it's North American day-one sales are going to be, much less worldwide.

...You know what, fuck it, I'll say it; congrats to Infinity Ward :)

hc2

snap0212 said:
Who's fault do you think it is? Seems like they weren't prepared for the launch (didn't have enough servers running). 100% Infinity Ward's fault, as far as I can see.

edit: I just wanna play. :(

Update 2: Tipster Brent point us to yet another tweet, this time from Robert Bowling who confirms the multiplayer downtime is caused by server overload. According to Bowling, "Xbox Live servers are maintained and ran by Microsoft. PSN servers are ran and maintained by 3rd party companies hired to do so." Seems this mysterious "3rd party" infrastructure simply cannot match the Microsoft-funded backbone of Xbox Live.

Sometimes, $35-$50/year is cheap.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/11/ps3-modern-warfare-2-experiencing-multiplayer-issues-patch-expe/

TruHero

Banned
Loxley said:
I just read that MW2's day-one sales in the UK were 1.27 million; fucking double that of the previous record holder (GTA IV), which sold around 631,000 copies on it's first day. I mean, Jesus.

I'm almost scared to to see what it's North American day-one sales are going to be, much less worldwide.

Well deserved success for IW

McLovin said:
Fix came out today boy, read the internet.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Dax01 said:
Who here actually likes the blood jam? I'm still kind of indifferent to it.

I wouldn't mind but you don't get blood in your face when you jump ten feet to the ground. :lol

Just about nearing the end of the campaign. Whiskey Hotel was awesome. They sure know how to make a lot of stuff happen at 60FPS and look good in the process. Same tried and true trench sequence but in a more interesting locale this time. What it is lacking in innovation they at least make up for in execution.

MoxManiac

Chrono said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p004v8l0#p0052jcc

Check out chapter 5, the BBC world service talks about MW2 and game violence for a few minutes. A british MP goes to bat for games on the show too.

And world have your say has a blog post on it, but just scanning the comments and seeing this one reminded me how it's nearly always painful to hear the 'masses' sound off on anything:

God, what a pretentious twat. I shall fantasize about shooting said twat when I play MW2!

Raxus said:
Really? I think the maps are universally better than the CoD4 maps. No more showdown, wetwork type maps. Sure a couple of the maps are duds but there is alot more to offer this time around. Tons of room to keep moving with my P90 stealth class.

Agreed. Death to Downpour and Wetwork. Viva Brazilian Ghetto, etc.
Although a little bit of Shipment or Kill House, now and then, was pretty fun.

Arhal_Katarn

Just finished the sp and i am not really impressed. I only really enjoyed the 141 missions and even they where hit and miss. I really considered giving up on the single player a few points as i thought it was that bad. I never really got into the story until the final mission.
I thought the vehicle sections where terrible compared to the Halo games even the Gears 2 tank section was better then them.
The checkpoint system really pissed me off as it seemed that if you just ran forward you would get a checkpoint instead of getting one for killing everyone in the area. Also the blood splatter was the most pathetic idea ever as half the time you couldn't make out where you was being shot from.
I would give the sp a 7/10

I know the multi will keep me going until the Halo Reach beta but i think next time i buy a MW game i will just skip the sp.

EDIT

Also the bullet time breaching was dumb.

LevityNYC said:
Does anyone know if the strategy guides for this game are any good?

Obviously I don't give a fuck about the single player strategy, I just want good pull out maps for multiplayer. I'm tired about going 3-20 because I dont know the maps yet.
Someone posted this here last week:
http://tinypaste.com/43644

Skidrow shows up as Scrapyard, though... but yeah, that should help a little.

bardia

dark10x said:
I must say, this is probably one of the most negative big releases I've seen in a while. A lot of people are dogging the game, which is rare for big titles like this. Even with games that end up being considered disappointments, the initial couple days are usually filled with nothing but praise and positive feedback.

The only people being negative 24/7 are the butt hurt PC players, there are more of them than you think.

Raxus

Rust is basically a much more developed Shipment which is nice.
Killhouse was basic, but fun and plenty of stuff going on in the map.
As far as team advantages the only 2 maps truly guilty of this is in the new game.

I love how batshit insane multiplayer is now. I get rewarded for everything, even dying, which is pretty damn smart. On the surface it seems like a really stupid move, but after dying a few times in a row and then getting a good kill, seeing an extra 100xp pop up really made me feel good. :lol

All of the new killstreaks are awesome too. I was lining up on some enemies earlier when an AC130 rocket flew down and sent two of them flying. It was sex. I love how when I look up there's always a helicopter circling or a jet hovering too - it feels like a busy battlefield as apposed to the rather quiet moments than COD4's multiplayer went through.

The supply drops are my favourite things at the moment too. Sure, after 4 kills I may be rewarded with another UAV, but there's an equal chance of controlling an AC130.

panda21

that was pretty good once it got to mainly being 141 missions. the story made absolutely no sense to me though :lol

surprised by how much of a fuss the airport scene is creating, i don't really see how its any more tasteless than anything else you see in videogames.

Top Bottom