• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Taborcarn

Fraull said:
fuck the psn server is not connecting, wtf is this shit, me and a few buds are tryin to play, but cant because the fucking server is DOWN. this sucks :(

Seriously I only have about 40 minutes to play in between getting home from work and going out again. This sucks.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Leminnes said:
Just finished the Single Player.

It was cool, I guess. I'm not sure how deserving of the 95s and 100s it's getting from websites. The story was extremely convoluted, although it... sort of made sense at the end. There was really nothing about it any more remarkable than MW1, to me. It actually seemed a bit easier.

Also, the American war scenes were cool.
It's probably because this is a multiplayer-centric game, and reviewers are factoring in the complete package.

Epcott

Just finished the solo game too. Pretty short, and while there's some great moments, none match the "awe" of MW1.

I guess I would be more ecstatic if I could play online... but even when I try a two player game in special ops I get infinity "connecting to matchmaking"

Guess I'll finish Batman AA and Afrika... sigh

Finished the SP a minute ago. Did it in 3 sittings today :) Overall I loved it. Very much in the Uncharted 2 style of action, action, action and IMO all the better for it, even if the campaign is pretty short on regular difficulties.

Just hope that when I wake up tomorrow I can jump into some PS3 MP! :D

two patches in two days. iw :lol

split screen spec ops is this game's saving grace. single player is like a dumbed down expansion pack with all the flaws of cod4 still present.

6/10

Eric WK

Leminnes said:
Just finished the Single Player.

It was cool, I guess. I'm not sure how deserving of the 95s and 100s it's getting from websites. The story was extremely convoluted, although it... sort of made sense at the end. There was really nothing about it any more remarkable than MW1, to me. It actually seemed a bit easier.

Also, the American war scenes were cool.

Games aren't scored on a fraction of their content.

MoxManiac

Mutagenic said:
It's probably because this is a multiplayer-centric game, and reviewers are factoring in the complete package.

I'd sure like to sample the game's multiplayer if ya know, they'd fix the PSN issues!

Zzoram

Mutagenic said:

Some would argue that singleplayer is a part of the complete package.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mutagenic said:
That may be so, but I think the complete package should matter to the point where it shouldn't be getting such high scores. Furthermore, the multiplayer is really just more of the same with minor improvements throughout that only those that have played the shit out of the original would notice.

That certainly doesn't diminish its quality, but I do think it is scoring a bit high. It just doesn't seem to be as good as the usual high profile late year releases. They set their sights very low with this sequel and attempted nothing new. I was kind of hoping that all the popularity would have given them reason to try for something better. The literally fixed NOTHING with this new SP campaign. It's the same shit as last game.

Of course, I suppose there is something to be said for that. A lot of people were burned by Halo 2 and MGS2 for trying to do some really crazy shit, for instance. I LOVED what those sequels turned out to be, but they didn't work for everyone. IW took a different approach and didn't attempt anything radical or special. Just more of the same game that they've been making since Allied Assault.

I'm not so sure that money hats flew in all cases, however, as I do believe some people just REALLY like this game (as you can see by the popularity of CoD4). I mean, when Giant Bomb is all over this, I tend to believe that they genuinely LOVE the game. I kind of wish I could get into it to that same level, but I just don't think it's all that great. While playing it, I'm just thinking about loading up Killzone 2 again (as I think that was a much better single player game).

es, a part. Is this really that hard to grasp?
...yet the game is not being docked for a mediocre/derivative single player component. The game still deserves reasonably high marks, but surely you can understand why some might feel it is scoring a bit TOO high overall.

It's just a shame that my least favorite companies (from a business perspective) these days are always on top (Activision and Nintendo). :D

Wax Free Vanilla said:
two patches in two days. iw :lol

split screen spec ops is this game's saving grace. single player is like a dumbed down expansion pack with all the flaws of cod4 still present.

6/10

Lets forget the incredible competitive multiplayer mode shall we? Funny you cry about sp, MW2s kept me glued the entire way unlike MW1.Cant comment on PSN issues, 360s been smooth since Monday.

DeuceMojo said:
Sucks that PS3 isn't able to play. Sounds like the infamous Christmas of '07, when COD4 was unplayable on XBL for like 2 weeks, which was convenient since everyone was off of work and school and wanting to do something fun. :lol

It doesn't sound like that at all since in Xmas 07 the entire XBL went down... not just COD4. The entire service was unavailable. Oddly enough, this is when I beat the single player campaign.

Edit: and it wasn't down for two weeks.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
dark10x said:
That may be so, but I think the complete package should matter to the point where it shouldn't be getting such high scores. Furthermore, the multiplayer is really just more of the same with minor improvements throughout that only those that have played the shit out of the original would notice.

That certainly doesn't diminish its quality, but I do think it is scoring a bit high. It just doesn't seem to be as good as the usual high profile late year releases. They set their sights very low with this sequel and attempted nothing new. I was kind of hoping that all the popularity would have given them reason to try for something better. The literally fixed NOTHING with this new SP campaign. It's the same shit as last game.

Of course, I suppose there is something to be said for that. A lot of people were burned by Halo 2 and MGS2 for trying to do some really crazy shit, for instance. I LOVED what those sequels turned out to be, but they didn't work for everyone. IW took a different approach and didn't attempt anything radical or special. Just more of the same game that they've been making since Allied Assault.

I'm not so sure that money hats flew in all cases, however, as I do believe some people just REALLY like this game (as you can see by the popularity of CoD4). I mean, when Giant Bomb is all over this, I tend to believe that they genuinely LOVE the game. I kind of wish I could get into it to that same level, but I just don't think it's all that great. While playing it, I'm just thinking about loading up Killzone 2 again (as I think that was a much better single player game).

...yet the game is not being docked for a mediocre/derivative single player component. The game still deserves reasonably high marks, but surely you can understand why some might feel it is scoring a bit TOO high overall.

It's just a shame that my least favorite companies (from a business perspective) these days are always on top (Activision and Nintendo). :D
I get what you're saying. But the series gets predominately more multiplayer focused with each iteration, to the point where for many users, the single player is something of an afterthought. They even included Spec-Ops, which I think a certain group of players will really appreciate.

I feel like they've added enough to the multiplayer component to keep things fresh without reconstructing it when, according to gamers' tendencies, people still adore it. The maps are very solid with some good variety. Replay value deserves as much weight as possible in a review score, and this game excels at that.

Tigel

Played the campaign for about 2 hours yesterday. The action is nice and all, but the story is too over the top for my taste. I prefered the more "realistic" approach of COD4.

And what the hell, the weapons still don't have any recoil. What gives IW?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Leminnes said:
Well, on PC, there's not much to write home about. :p

I like how people are saying that the loss of dedicated servers makes the game somehow worse than it is on X360 or PS3.

CitizenCope said:
Yeah I'm really liking it. I was always an M16 guy in MW1 but it's going to be hard to leave this baby. Can't get the sniper like kills the M16 brought but the thing can be deadly at a decent range.
Eh. For me, the Famas is a stepping stone for the M16. As soon as I unlock that gun, so long famas!

SuperAndroid17 said:
was there a reward for people who had 10th prestige in the first MW? i think i misread that somewhere...

Nope, I have a 55 Gold Cross in MW1 and didn't get jack shit. Thanks IW for looking out for the guys who went that extra mile in your previous game.

Tigel said:
Played the campaign for about 2 hours yesterday. The action is nice and all, but the story is too over the top for my taste. I prefered the more "realistic" approach of COD4.

And what the hell, the weapons still don't have any recoil. What gives IW?
I LOL'D

scoobs

K.Jack said:
But that content should be a fraction of the score.

agreed.

Multiplayer 100%

Singleplayer 70%

Total: 85%...

Obviously this is objective and a little stupid i guess but the singleplayer means a lot to me when purchasing a game and it was a pretty big let down this time around.

Anyways, thats how I'd review it. I think singleplayer is the main reason you buy a game, the multiplayer is there to keep you coming back.

nli10

Scythesurge said:
I haven't even got to play the game yet because I'm on a business trip. :-(

That only counts those signed up to the site who have popped the game in tho. 82% have the first SP ach. 16% have the final one, meaning 19.5% of people starting the campaign have made it to the end in the first 3 days.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Dax01 said:
Eh. For me, the Famas is a stepping stone for the M16. As soon as I unlock that gun, so long famas!

I dont get the appeal of Famas, or burst weapons in general. I've gotten totally owned so many times because of the burst ending 1 bullet off a kill. :(

jiien

Just thought I'd throw some other thoughts I had out there.

I never played MW1 multiplayer, and got my first current gen console after it was long since out. So my first true CoD online experience came with WaW, which I really enjoyed. So for me, WW2 CoD's were the standard, and the MW ones are the derivatives. That said, I have a couple gripes about multiplayer design of MW2 (but that isn't to say I don't love it):

1. When playing WaW, you had five distinct gun classes, each with very clear advantages and disadvantages. Single bolt action rifles (sniper rifles, essentially) had an extremely low fire rate, and extremely high power/range. Sub machine guns had ridiculous power, really low range and accuracy, etc. The classes were diverse enough that each had it's place in certain maps, with certain play styles. However, I feel that for MW2, the guns are not nearly different enough in how they play. Some of the assault rifles are fully automatic, and basically handle like extremely accurate sub machine guns. In fact, when I play in multiplayer, I use the SCAR like a sub machine gun, essentially (and do pretty damn well with it like that to boot). All of the classes (save for the sniper rifles) play essentially the same. Yes, the sub machine guns have poor range and accuracy, but I don't know. There is no where near the stark difference between classes in this game as there were in WaW. And I kind of miss it, because it makes everyone a little bit less diverse.

2. Though I haven't unlocked some of these guns yet, I'm looking at the stats of certain later guns, and their stats are completely better in all regards than the earlier guns you get. So (and I'm definitely assuming here), since all the guns in a certain class (and across classes as well) get the same attachments, it would seem that there is no benefit at all to using certain early guns, when they are completely outclassed by later guns. That's horrible balanced. In WaW, every gun had it's own unique handling style, feel, and traits, and that balanced it such that there was always a place for every gun (or at least, most of them). Whether it was differences in fire rate, damage, attachments, range, whatever, every gun was unique, and not completely outclassed by another gun. Again, I'm just assuming here, since I haven't unlocked them yet (though did use them in the museum/single player), but I'm a bit worried that in the end, everyone will be using the same weapon. (I hear this was a problem in MW1 with the AK-47? Not sure). I guess this ties in to my first point above.

Anyway, I'm just afraid in general that everyone will end up looking exactly the same. There's a ton of perks and cool killstreaks to have, but if everyone's toting the same guns, it gets boring.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
kittenavatar-1.gif

:lol

fernoca

Argh..
So the "servers are gradually coming back online"..but Sony hasn't fixed the PSN thing about not syncing any kind of data, which is not allowing to see (aside trophies earned) but the status of nearly anyone..

So, since according to the PSN my friend is playing The Beatles Rock Band, even though he has been playing Modern Warfare 2 for the last 2 hours..I cant't send him any invite, because he's "playing another game"..I appear as I was" in the menu", and therefore "the session no longer exists"...

And the friend that I convinced to get the game today, got the game; is playing right now yet he appears as if he is on the XMB.... :mad:

Oh well..just finished the "oil" mission..and the one right after it..did made me say "wow"...for the first time in this game.

zedge

Single player was fun, and some amazing looking levels. Story was stupid.

Now if only I could play online.. FUCK.. Don't people usually learn from past mistakes? Even mice...

TheExodu5

Banned
ALeperMessiah said:
Love this fourzerotwo tweet

@scoobyjim Xbox Live servers are maintained and ran by Microsoft. PSN servers are ran and maintained by 3rd party companies hired to do so.

I guess that's what M$ fanbois are paying the 50 dollars for...

By third party companies he means companies THEY hire out, not Sony. Sony isn't responsible for matchmaking.

I don't see why they didn't standardize IWNet to support PSN players. Well, I guess I'm glad they didn't, because then the PC game would be having the same problem because of a server load issue from the console players.

Seriously though, it's ridiculous to have this kind of issue in a P2P game. The bandwidth requirements would be quite small.

Top Bottom