• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

J-Rzez

Revolutionary said:
Did that really bounce off the wall? Looked like the autoaim took control of it, to me. :lol

Yes, they do. I got a couple people around corners like that. And I found a better way to piss people off. I threw a knife over a bunch of shit like a grenade blindly and killed someone with it as the last kill. Half "DAAAAMN", half "FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING........". :lol

Just unlocked the FAL, is it awesome like the G3? Didn't use it yet, trying to top off my SCAR bonuses, as 10,000xp is hard to pass up on. Dual silenced P90's is just bullshit. I just ran and at one point almost killed the entire team in one pass. People never expect the flank in this game for some strange reason. Then again, I use Cold Blooded.

scoobs said:
agreed.

Multiplayer 100%

Singleplayer 70%

Total: 85%...

Obviously this is objective and a little stupid i guess but the singleplayer means a lot to me when purchasing a game and it was a pretty big let down this time around.

Anyways, thats how I'd review it. I think singleplayer is the main reason you buy a game, the multiplayer is there to keep you coming back.
Spec-ops. Unless you count spec-ops as MP.

got2bekidding said:
I just unlocked it. Haven't tried it, but can't wait. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:lol
I is be jealous.

J-Rzez said:
Yes, they do. I got a couple people around corners like that. And I found a better way to piss people off. I threw a knife over a bunch of shit like a grenade blindly and killed someone with it as the last kill. Half "DAAAAMN", half "FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING........". :lol

Just unlocked the FAL, is it awesome like the G3? Didn't use it yet, trying to top off my SCAR bonuses, as 10,000xp is hard to pass up on. Dual silenced P90's is just bullshit. I just ran and at one point almost killed the entire team in one pass. People never expect the flank in this game for some strange reason. Then again, I use Cold Blooded.
Nice. I didn't know that. Might have to reequip it, then. The only time I would ever use them is if I'm in the middle of reloading and there was an enemy coming towards me.

As for the FAL, I absolutely love it. Accurate, takes down most people in 3ish shots, and it's a singlefire weapon so you don't have to reload all the time like with the SCAR. So sexy.

Fugu

jiien said:
CoD4 was known for having a large bias towards the earlier guns. On the PC, the favourites among good players were the AK-47, AK-74, MP5, M4, M16, and the P90. All of these guns are unlocked at a low level (You start with almost half of them) with the exception of the P90. This is despite the presence of guns with better stats (Check out the stats on the G36C) because things outside of the listed stats matter. As well, certain guns landed in sweet spots between damage and firing rate that made them equally effective with a silencer, making them popular choices for silenced weapons. On top of this, almost every gun COULD be used to some degree. Some weren't as easy to use as others (M14), but after awhile it became apparent that almost everything was viable.

robertj15

anyone else leaving their "connecting to matchmaking server..." message up in the hopes that it actually does connect?

edit: holy shit it just connected.

Beowulf28

Just finished the SP and wow it was fun.
the American war missions were def my favorite and the last part where you watch Shepard and Price fighting had me shouting at my TV "FUCK YOU SHEPARD KILL HIS ASS PRICE!!" :lol

Now if only online on the PS3 wasn't borked I could dive into multiplayer.

venom2124

Jack Scofield said:
Seeing a deathstreak pop up just reminds me that I'm sucking. WOW, I DIED FOUR TIMES, THANKS FOR REMINDING ME.

But besides that, the game is fun. What is everyone's favorite killstreaks? I'm currently using Care Package, Predator, and Chopper Gunner. I think I'll switch that last one, seeing as how I hardly ever get 11 kills in a row.

And also, both of my AC-130 care packages were stolen by the enemy yesterday. Goddamn I was angry. What's the best way to take it down? The default rocket only has one shot, and the AC-130 always uses flares when I lock-on to it.

And finally, the FAMAS is awesome.
FAMAS is indeed awesome. I thought I was going to hate it too. As for killstreaks, I roll with predator missile, harrier jet, and chopper gunner. Using that set, I've gotten a 30 kill streak and a 25 kill streak.

Beowulf28 said:
Just finished the SP and wow it was fun.
the American war missions were def my favorite and the last part where you watch Shepard and Price fighting had me shouting at my TV "FUCK YOU SHEPARD KILL HIS ASS PRICE!!" :lol

Same.
I was like "YOU BASTARD JUST HIT HIM ALREADY"
:lol

JB1981

dark10x said:
That may be so, but I think the complete package should matter to the point where it shouldn't be getting such high scores. Furthermore, the multiplayer is really just more of the same with minor improvements throughout that only those that have played the shit out of the original would notice.

That certainly doesn't diminish its quality, but I do think it is scoring a bit high. It just doesn't seem to be as good as the usual high profile late year releases. They set their sights very low with this sequel and attempted nothing new. I was kind of hoping that all the popularity would have given them reason to try for something better. The literally fixed NOTHING with this new SP campaign. It's the same shit as last game.

Of course, I suppose there is something to be said for that. A lot of people were burned by Halo 2 and MGS2 for trying to do some really crazy shit, for instance. I LOVED what those sequels turned out to be, but they didn't work for everyone. IW took a different approach and didn't attempt anything radical or special. Just more of the same game that they've been making since Allied Assault.

I'm not so sure that money hats flew in all cases, however, as I do believe some people just REALLY like this game (as you can see by the popularity of CoD4). I mean, when Giant Bomb is all over this, I tend to believe that they genuinely LOVE the game. I kind of wish I could get into it to that same level, but I just don't think it's all that great. While playing it, I'm just thinking about loading up Killzone 2 again (as I think that was a much better single player game).

...yet the game is not being docked for a mediocre/derivative single player component. The game still deserves reasonably high marks, but surely you can understand why some might feel it is scoring a bit TOO high overall.

It's just a shame that my least favorite companies (from a business perspective) these days are always on top (Activision and Nintendo). :D

Man, it's like you're in my head. I have been thinking and at least GG TRIED w/ the mechanics in KZ 2. COD 4 is just more of the same. And the gunplay is so stale. Did COD 4 have this much sticky aim? Don't get me wrong, the MP is fun and I will continue to play it but it may be the "safest" sequel I've ever played and it makes me realize just how remarkable a sequel like Uncharted 2 was.

ACE 1991

JB1981 said:
Man, it's like your in my head. I have been thinking and at least GG TRIED w/ the mechanics in KZ 2. COD 4 is just more of the same. And the gunplay is so stale. Did COD 4 have this much sticky aim? Don't get me wrong, the game is fun and I will continue to play it but it may be the "safest" sequel I've ever played and it makes me realize just how remarkable a sequel like Uncharted 2 was.

I would argue that Uncharted 2 was merely a refinement of Uncharted 2, in terms of single player. (Don't get me wrong, it's easily my favorite game in years)

Haven't played singleplayer yet because I could only play it for 20 minutes but this game looks shit (PS3 version here) on mp. I think the lower than HD resolution does it especially after playing Uncharted 2, Killzone 2 and this looks so bad?

Maybe the singleplayer is better I don't know but what I do know is if they fix the PC version I'm selling this game and replacing it with PC version.

Don't get me wrong the game is very fun and addictive it just hurts my eyes to look at. And it's ludicrous to have them say on the box its 720p/1080i/1080p, that is false advertisement.

Hopefully i'll get to hit a good chunk of the SP tonight and see if my opinion changes.

/endrant

J-Rzez

Revolutionary said:
Nice. I didn't know that. Might have to reequip it, then. The only time I would ever use them is if I'm in the middle of reloading and there was an enemy coming towards me.

As for the FAL, I absolutely love it. Accurate, takes down most people in 3ish shots, and it's a singlefire weapon so you don't have to reload all the time like with the SCAR. So sexy.

Well I look forward to trying it out then, soon as I finish up the SCAR unlocks for the xp bonus. Loved the G3, hope I love this too.

JB1981 said:
Did COD 4 have this much sticky aim?

Like I said earlier, the Auto-aim is ridiculous in this game now. It was bad before, but maybe it's just me, but it feels far more intrusive than ever. It's annoying, and throws me off. It's also incredibly cheap using it to scan bushes and dark windows to find people. I wish I could turn it totally off.

bdouble said:
He was under cover so they could get evidence and convict Marakov.

Convict him? He knowingly went with these guys to a massacre, and aided in their escape so they could "convict" him? The guys who sent your dude know what the terrorist guy was guilty of beforehand and seem to have no problem sending people on black ops missions, so why not just kill him before all this happened?

I haven't finished the game though, so maybe they address that at some point.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Got my PE earlier today and played about 3 hours. So what was this controversy about the airport level? Seems pretty weak to me but whatever.

Also why aren't trophies syncing?

Leminnes

Banned
Osaka said:
I like how people are saying that the loss of dedicated servers makes the game somehow worse than it is on X360 or PS3.

Yes, and PC gamers LOVE being shoved down to Console capabilities compared to a game made by the same developers only 2 years ago. I thought the natural progression of things was advancement, not repression?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Just came back from playing the PC version, it was stuttering all over the place. Seems it has a memory leak. I knew it would be optimized like shit. :lol

Did manage to get 26 seconds doing the training with only an M9 though. :)

TheExodu5

Banned
sgstq9.jpg

First time I've ever seen any game outdo CS (though not in peak). Curious to see where this will go during the weekend, after the Steam version actually launches.

Teetris said:
Just came back from playing the PC version, it was stuttering all over the place. Seems it has a memory leak. I knew it would be optimized like shit. :lol

Did manage to get 26 seconds doing the training with only an M9 though. :)

No issues with memory leaks here, but the game does take a ridiculous amount of RAM. I think it takes a good 1.5GB with everything maxed. I'm guessing you have less than 3GB of RAM. Try turning down specular maps and normal maps a tiny bit...and textures if need be.

JB1981

untoldhero said:
Haven't played singleplayer yet because I could only play it for 20 minutes but this game looks shit (PS3 version here) on mp. I think the lower than HD resolution does it especially after playing Uncharted 2, Killzone 2 and this looks so bad?

Maybe the singleplayer is better I don't know but what I do know is if they fix the PC version I'm selling this game and replacing it with PC version.

Don't get me wrong the game is very fun and addictive it just hurts my eyes to look at. And it's ludicrous to have them say on the box its 720p/1080i/1080p, that is false advertisement.

Hopefully i'll get to hit a good chunk of the SP tonight and see if my opinion changes.

/endrant

didn't notice much difference in IQ. Image is soft looking in SP and MP but I think the game looks OK. Probably looks a tad sharper on 360 because of the GPU scaler. I'm thinking the PS3 purchase was a bad move (borked trophies, invite system). Guess I will never learn .... but I got the game on PS3 because I have two PS3s and one 360 and I can play the game latenight in the bedroom .....

Roxas

2 questions about the story

Why did Price launch the nuke from the sub? And then just to explode it in the atmosphere...seemed pointless....

2. Why did Ghost
have the same voice as Gaz from COD4? I know its the same actor...just took me half the game to realise they are not actually the same character.

Roxas said:
2 questions about the story

Why did Price launch the nuke from the sub? And then just to explode it in the atmosphere...seemed pointless....

2. Why did Ghost
have the same voice as Gaz from COD4? I know its the same actor...just took me half the game to realise they are not actually the same character.

It made an EMP and shut out all electrical devices

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
just stopped fro a break, got to Washington DC, first go on Harden.

Disappointing so far, some cool intances but very little if not no 'HOLY SHIT" moments. The design is so simple, its not too good or too bad. The Breeches are cool, the Brazil levels are my favs so far, but the vehicle part were meh and the
Drone Mission
was not as dramatic and fun as the AC mission in MW1.

The Storytelling method like MW is still meh, the the story itslf in MW2 is bad. They brought the war to America in a very non-believable way, and the characters(new and old) are pretty much non-existant. Even that "contraversial" mission, failed to make me dislike that bad guy(forgot his name)...i just dont fell anything about anyone in the game.

Graphics are pretty much the same in my eyes, but Washington DC looks like the level that will show the improvements of the engine.

I'll start Multiplay once im done

Y2Kev said:
I like Karachi

I was quite delighted at seeing Karachi. Reminds me of the Backlot, alot!
Sadly, the real Karachi in Pakistan looks nothing like that. It would've been awesome if it was more based on Karachi than just a fictional location named Karachi.

Seriously Activision/IW, not impressed.

I got a crack addiction I'm trying to feed, and you tryna tell me I can't eat my crack </Popeyes>

But really, I'm pissed. I don't have a lot of time and I want to play the new game I dropped more than 150 bucks on. Fairly warned, be thee, says I.

Raxus

God I am having trouble unleashing a nuke online again. I get the killstreak chain going and by the time I am ready to unleash hell the game either ends or I get killed :-/

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Graphics are pretty much the same in my eyes
ugh why do people say this shit? put in CoD4 then MW2 again and tell me they look the same.
it isn't an uncharted 1 -> uncharted 2 leap but its significant.

Raxus said:
God I am having trouble unleashing a nuke online again. I get the killstreak chain going and by the time I am ready to unleash hell the game either ends or I get killed :-/

you expect it to be a regular thing or something? I cant see it happening in TDM especially Hardcore. In CoD4, multiple times I got 24 kill streaks.. not in MW2. Mainly because it feels like you dont last as long and you cant start helis after you die to start a new killstreak for you.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
TheExodu5 said:
No issues with memory leaks here, but the game does take a ridiculous amount of RAM. I think it takes a good 1.5GB with everything maxed. I'm guessing you have less than 3GB of RAM. Try turning down specular maps and normal maps a tiny bit...and textures if need be.
Yeah, the computer I was playing on did report 1.5GB, thought that was way too much. Honestly it is. 4GB on W7.

shagg_187 said:
I was quite delighted at seeing Karachi. Reminds me of the Backlot, alot!
Sadly, the real Karachi in Pakistan looks nothing like that. It would've been awesome if it was more based on Karachi than just a fictional location named Karachi.
Hehe, when I saw the name I thought the same thing. Then I saw the picture of the map and knew it was just the same name.

untoldhero said:
/endrant

I think I am almost halfway through the game and I can't believe how terrible parts of it look. There are a couple scenes that look like I am running a pc game from 2002 on a state of the art system. Everything moves really smooth and is consistent but damn it still looks bad. I am going to get jumped on like crazy for this but I think KZ2 sp is a dramatically better experience. This game actually makes me appreciate guerrillas efforts even more.

DMeisterJ

Banned
h4k said:
PS3 Update: Looks like it was the amount of connections at once that killed PSN. They're enabling 20,000 users at a time to connect now

http://twitter.com/fourzerotwo/status/5635450945

So only 20k people at a time can play? Or 20k people at a time can sign into the servers?

n/m He said that hundreds of thousands :)o) of PSN users were trying to sign in at one time, but only 20k at a time can do so... That is some CRAZY numbers

Saiyu

The multiplayer is so addicting but I have a problem. I was an idiot and tried out normal controls while I was getting warm with CoD 4 and when I turned back to inverted it's not quite the same. Bear in mind I've played inverted in everything since Goldeneye, but I feel like I can't be confident aiming using it anymore, especially on diagonal movements.

So the end result is I'm playing slightly frustrated trying to "learn" normal controls, with a k/d of only .85.

When it comes together though it's so, so good :D .

Accident

Can't believe how single player centric is GAF. The Call of Duty serie is all about the multiplayer, i'll probably finish the campaign the next time xbox live goes down.

Top Bottom