• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Red

IcebergSlim3000 said:
You know what, fuck this game. Fuck these care packages. Fuck these shitty maps. Fuck these Assault Rifles that all feel the same. Fuck dieing in 2 bullets. Fucking wasting time constantly shooting down helicopters just to get shot in the face. Fuck the laziness of not having matchmaking for Spec ops. They should have called it Modern Warfare 2 Doom Edition because it plays like some off the wall arena shooters.

Maybe next time around they won't build their game based off a bunch of twitter posts.
You tell 'em bro.

Possibly unrelated, but I decided to finish up the first Modern Warfare today. Had stopped on the mission "All in" in the first one because it was stupidly frustrating on veteran (but then, what isn't?). Made it through and have been playing Mile High Club on and off for the past three hours :lol

It's just ridiculous. Can't stand the campaign in this game, but I'll be damned if I don't get this achievement.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
IcebergSlim3000 said:
You know what, fuck this game. Fuck these care packages. Fuck these shitty maps. Fuck these Assault Rifles that all feel the same. Fuck dieing in 2 bullets. Fucking wasting time constantly shooting down helicopters just to get shot in the face. Fuck the laziness of not having matchmaking for Spec ops. They should have called it Modern Warfare 2 Doom Edition because it plays like some off the wall arena shooters.

Maybe next time around they won't build their game based off a bunch of twitter posts.

OH SNAP!

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
IcebergSlim3000 said:

I'm starting to agree.

witness

IcebergSlim3000 said:

Testify!

GodofWine

Somewhere, someone, in this thread, compared this games campaign graphics to that of Killzone II...despite how much I hated that game, there is no way in this world, that MW2 can even be in the same paragraph as KZ2 in terms of graphics (or AI, or campaign)

I do prefer the MP on COD6 MW2 over KZ2's though, but graphically, please no one else say MW2 looks better ever again.

TheExodu5

Banned
Kibbles said:
Wow the ACOG is terrible on the M16 in MP. Back to holosight it is.

[edit] Eh, maybe I'm just having an off game.

The game was sped up too much, and weapon accuracy is way too high...now anything better than a holosight will just make you too slow to take down enemies. Why use a sniper rifle when a Scar at long range will do the job?

Geoff9920

Man, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but "Takedown" was one of the single most aggravating gaming experiences I've had in a long time.

snack

Is there something wrong with the mics for the PS3 version? I played yesterday and a bit today.. there were mics for the first couple of matches. After that, it was all dead. Not one single mic. Anyone else experience this?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Seiken said:
EDIT: Some quick points: if the game was 30fps, I'd call it one of the ugliest games I've played this game. Thank god it's not, but seriously some chapters looked really, REALLY bad (while some looked okay, winter levels mostly).

Another CoD with spawning enemies, wow, I thought we were done with this?

This didnt happen while i played???

Ugly game really? :lol

Hey, what is up with the instruction manual?!?!?! For real? 8 pages? It is pitiful. My theory is that Activision wanted to make it as small as possible so that profits would be as high as possible and they could hit the mark on "biggest entertainment release ever."

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
TheExodu5 said:
The game was sped up too much, and weapon accuracy is way too high...now anything better than a holosight will just make you too slow to take down enemies. Why use a sniper rifle when a Scar at long range will do the job?

yeah, if you stick out for 1 second anywhere on the map then you're usually dead.

itsgreen

Seiken said:
Well I just "marathoned" the single player campaign.

Bleh, that is all.

EDIT: Some quick points: if the game was 30fps, I'd call it one of the ugliest games I've played this game. Thank god it's not, but seriously some chapters looked really, REALLY bad (while some looked okay, winter levels mostly).

I hated the "cutscenes" between the loadings.

Now for the plus...

60fps

All weapons are balanced

Very cinematic events, I like that.

Version?

Docpan

So I ultimately decided on the ps3 version due to peer pressure, but I'm not sure I made the right decision. Are we sure the two versions are identical?

I feel like getting it on the 360 MAY have been a smarter decision for me. Will gamespot in no way let me swap versions? Yes, I did play it.

JB1981

h4k said:
Is there something wrong with the mics for the PS3 version? I played yesterday and a bit today.. there were mics for the first couple of matches. After that, it was all dead. Not one single mic. Anyone else experience this?

i notice this too but i just chalked it up to lots of people on psn not having mics ... although quite a few people use mics for UC 2 so maybe the mics are effed up ... good job, IW.

DRE Fei

I finished this on veteran my first play through and only ran into a handful of frustrating sections. COD4 and especially W@W were ridiculous on veteran compared to this with the infinite enemy re-spawns and grenade spam.

Overall, the campaign is good in a summer blockbuster sort of way. Each mission almost felt like it's own separate story to me, which is just a nice way for me to say I wasn't paying much attention.:lol

I like how they drop you in the middle of some crazy shit, but still manage to change things up with the more laid back stealth stuff just like the first game. I actually think they've outdone themselves with the Sheppard scene at the end though. COD4's was cool, but this ending scene had more suspense to it IMO.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Docpan said:
So I ultimately decided on the ps3 version due to peer pressure, but I'm not sure I made the right decision. Are we sure the two versions are identical?

I feel like getting it on the 360 MAY have been a smarter decision for me. Will gamespot in no way let me swap versions? Yes, I did play it.

If there are any differences you wont notice them unless you go looking for them.

Finished single player, quite a let down compared to other single player campaigns this year.
Multiplayer is still awesome, lag free matches on PSN so far.

TheExodu5

Banned
Thought it was just a launch day thing....nope!

1ikdvc.jpg

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Man, all my games todays featured heavy camping. Of course, I was usually on the attacking side since I am a LMG user. There was this one game where EVERY SINGLE GUY walled inside this building and my team would just attack it even if we got sniped. At the end we took the game 7500-6900 (also.. did IW adjust the score system to account for inflation now?).

But really, the sniping and camping is getting to my nerves. Even heavier than on MW. Gotta change my classes to have a smoke ready. Always dizzies snipers.

IcebergSlim3000 said:

:lol :lol

I just finished the solo campaign. Mundane stuff with a minimal sprinkling of fun. I definitely enjoyed MW1 much more overall in this respect. I don't care about the multiplayer, but I suppose I'll hang on to it before it's due back to play some co-op with a friend this weekend. No woes on renting this, but a purchase would have been regrettable.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Now none of the PSN accounts on my PS3 can sync their trophy lists, thanks IW for breaking my PS3. I'll pay $5 for the fix.

Seiken said:

You sir, are out of your mind. The game looked great all the way through with some levels that looked incredible (
the EMP level, for example
)

As for the ending...

Why did Shepard betray you? I don't understand what happened there.

Violater

Ok beat the game and as far as endings go for shooters I have played this year. MW2 takes top spot.
This game has balls, big brass ones.
Bring on MW3 Armageddon.
lol at the ending credits.
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Kojima had a hand in this game somehow.

Saiyu

Is it just me or has the hip firing effectiveness (with steady aim) gone down while the ADS characteristics have been increased?

I'm thinking this + the map design is leading to a LOT of camping....

ZZMitch

After playing online for an hour or so I have to say it is amazing. I loved Cod4... and this is just all that that game offered and so much more. The killstreaks add so much to the hectic gameplay, I love how you never know what you are going to get (reminds me of Mario Kart :D ). The maps are much more intricate with many more places to go, my favorite level is the airport one so far.

Wow, I didn't think they could make the multiplayer more addictive then they did with Cod4 but they delivered.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Good lord, the Rio mission is f*cking horrible. It HAS potential in that the map is pretty open ended, but throwing endlessly spawning dudes on the top of buildings is just not fun. You are constantly getting shot from all angles. The game is rushing you the entire time, which will get you killed, yet it's pointless to hold back and take caution as the enemies are seemingly infinite. The feeling of completing each "mini scenario" like many of the best shooters does not exist. It's just this constant pounding.

I'm getting through it, but every death feels completely cheap. Sometimes you just step out and are being shot from god knows where and can't retreat to safety. Why in the hell did they feel it was a good idea to keep spawning enemies like this? It kills any satisfaction one might get from clearing a level. It's just straight up bad design.

I'm still very early, though, so I'm hoping things turn around (I've heard the first Act is the worst of the three, after all). It's just frustrating to me that the game is still designed like this.

Prezhulio

Liquidus said:
Now none of the PSN accounts on my PS3 can sync their trophy lists, thanks IW for breaking my PS3. I'll pay $5 for the fix.

ah, so this is something mw2 did. i was wondering what happened.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
dark10x said:
Good lord, the Rio mission is f*cking horrible. It HAS potential in that the map is pretty open ended, but throwing endlessly spawning dudes on the top of buildings is just not fun. You are constantly getting shot from all angles. The game is rushing you the entire time, which will get you killed, yet it's pointless to hold back and take caution as the enemies are seemingly infinite. The feeling of completing each "mini scenario" like many of the best shooters does not exist. It's just this constant pounding.

I'm getting through it, but every death feels completely cheap. Sometimes you just step out and are being shot from god knows where and can't retreat to safety. Why in the hell did they feel it was a good idea to keep spawning enemies like this? It kills any satisfaction one might get from clearing a level. It's just straight up bad design.

I'm still very early, though, so I'm hoping things turn around (I've heard the first Act is the worst of the three, after all). It's just frustrating to me that the game is still designed like this.

100% agree. Total bullshit that level

Saiyu

dark10x said:

Just got done with that.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
After around 11 hours of playing online ( barely touched single player ) I can say they've topped their previous entry (multiplayer-wise). On the surface the game seems to be incredibly unbalanced - AC130s, nukes, choppers, dual wielding P90s. But deep down the game is actually very balanced and visibly well thought-out. People complaining about campers are only countered by, " Why do you keep going where they are camping? " Because each map has multiple exits and entrances, there are no excuses. I'm having a lot of fun with this game.

Seiken said:
Well I just "marathoned" the single player campaign.

Bleh, that is all.

I hated the "cutscenes" between the loadings.

Now for the plus...

60fps

All weapons are balanced

Very cinematic events, I like that.

Yeah in terms of graphics I'd honestly take 1080p no AA or 720p 2xAA over 600p 4xAA. Whatever AA method they are using, it doesn't look very good. Either that or the fact that the Xbox is scaling the image + your TV/monitor may also be scaling the image degrades the image quality severely.

I played on my 25.5" sammy lcd monitor so it was super sharp, perhaps on my 46" TV it won't have so many jaggies.

Campaign Spoilers
So did anyone find anything which hints at what MW3 will be about? At the very least they'll be going after Makarov. I wish they had developed the whole rift between Price and Shepherd more and explained what Price was doing during his absence (maybe a flashback like the Chernobyl level in COD4?), and have another mission with Price after the EMP where he'd explain why he launched it.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
dark10x said:

Worst fucking level. But believe it or not, they are not infinite. I did wipe out the whole area twice :lol

Hey, I thought you could use the riot shield and a secondary weapon at the same time in multi. Am I wrong or is it only certain secondaries that work?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
grap3fruitman said:
Hey, I thought you could use the riot shield and a secondary weapon at the same time in multi. Am I wrong or is it only certain secondaries that work?
Riot shield only. It's mainly a teamwork component (have two guys, one with riot shield and the other with a high powered weapon).

Red

dark10x said:

Mmmm, makes it a lot easier passing this game up. Respawning terrorists are what killed CoD4 for me.

Remy

danielijohnson said:
Hey, what is up with the instruction manual?!?!?! For real? 8 pages? It is pitiful. My theory is that Activision wanted to make it as small as possible so that profits would be as high as possible and they could hit the mark on "biggest entertainment release ever."

It says, on the back:

To view a full length manual, including credits, visit www.activision.com/en_US/manuals

There's something terribly sad that Activision can't even spare the expense to print the names of the people who made the game in the manual.

Of course, if you go to that URL - you get taken to the main Activision site. And should you go to Downloads -> Manuals, there's no MW2 manual for download.

Even the manual is broken. :lol

Az

Is anyone else having trouble with their friend list? It doesn't update so I can't see what everyone is playing at the moment. The only thing I see is what people are playing when I sign in but it stays like that the whole time, no changes at all.

I've noticed that since MW2 tells you what mode and which map people are playing.

Top Bottom