• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Revolutionary said:
Okay, we've got a bunch of speculation about why (do not highlight unless you've beat the game)
Shepherd betrayed 141, but what is the real reason?
My theory was because 141 knew about "No Russian" and he simply wanted to tie up loose ends with that, and make sure no one could tie him to the incident. But then, there's other theories out there... what's the real reason?
They went rogue to stop the war against Shepherd's orders. He couldn't control them. Pretty sure they had no idea about the airport.

Mik2121 said:
I have one question regarding the multiplayer.

How many stats get recorded? Is it really deep? I'm a stats-whore :p, so I was wondering how much info do we get.

Some screenshots of the stats screen would be much appreciated :)
You will weep.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I managed to stay pretty much totally in the dark on the campaign, and I was totally blown away, yes it does get steadily more and more ridiculous, but the stand out moments in this game are consistently jaw dropping and incredible. It feels like if they tried to do any more or tried to do this again with MW3 it would be too much, which somehow makes this experience much much more special. They pushed it right to the edge.

On to MP!

Mik2121

Son of Godzilla said:
They went rogue to stop the war against Shepherd's orders. He couldn't control them. Pretty sure they had no idea about the airport.

You will weep.
I hope in a good way :)

panda21

well i still don't understand the story, although i've completely forgotten what happened in mw1.

what was the CIA agent close to Makarov trying to achieve by infiltrating with him and killing a bunch of people at an airport? it would almost be believable if there was some even bigger plans Makarov had and he was just doing this for fun or something, but the whole shooting up the airport to start a war seemed to be the culmination of what he was trying to do, so what does the CIA guy going along with it achieve? why not just kill him?

why did price fire a nuke at america? did he intentionally detonate it in space so it would create an EMP?

what the hell was going on with sheperd? tbh i could understand him being pissed with the price/soap etc gang for nuking america, at first i thought that was why he shot them at the end of the game. then all of a sudden he seemed to have some other motive but it mainly seemed to consist of killing price. what was 'sheperds truth' and what did he have to hide anyway other than killing the 141 guys? as far as i could tell all sheperd did was go looking for makarov and then killed off the 141 guys when they couldnt find him.

also, for the millionth time, this does have infinite respawning enemies, just not everywhere, exactly like the previous game. there are some parts where you can clear everyone out, and others where no matter how many you kill they will just reappear. it did seem a lot less evident because by the end of mw1 it was just ridiculous whereas towards the end of this one it was getting better if anything.

Revolutionary said:
Okay, we've got a bunch of speculation about why (do not highlight unless you've beat the game)
Shepherd betrayed 141, but what is the real reason?
My theory was because 141 knew about "No Russian" and he simply wanted to tie up loose ends with that, and make sure no one could tie him to the incident. But then, there's other theories out there... what's the real reason?

I think what we are looking at here is a
double-double crossing? Shepherd wanted to be the war hero in all this shit, since the nuke in COD4. He comes up with the idea of Russia attacking NA using Marakov, to becomse a worl hero. He puts in the American dude with Marakov, knowing he will be used as a scapegoat to start the war. Marakov, being part of the plan, shoots him. Plan is working so far, Russia invade coz the ACD thing? isn't working/stolen. Shepherd now has his chance to betray a) Marakov because he knows shepherds a baddie and b) 141 because they find out he's the baddie. The world still thinks Shepherd is the goodie, even more so that now he's dead. World is pissed at Soap and Price. MW3 is Soap and Price against the fucking world to try and prove that Shepherd is the baddie. In co-op too I hope.

If I'm wrong with this, then fuck it, I give up and IW are terrible in telling a story!

Son of Godzilla said:
1. When did they go rogue? As far as I knew, the simultaneous missions in Afghanistan and Makarov's estate were ordered by Shepherd.
2. What makes you think they had no idea about the airport/No Russian?

Not trying to be an ass by disagreeing with you on everything, by the way. Just trying to be crystal clear on everything.

isamu said:
well umm, good for you?

I take my time when it comes to single player games and this one was no exception. why the fuck would I want to rush through it as fast as possible in 4 hours? Nice and slow for me. :D

plus I don't belive any of you guys that say you beat it on Veteran. The game was nearly impossible for me on RECRUIT!!!!! It took me 2 hours just to complete the training pit!!!!!!!
I take my time as well, but I always play on the hardest setting in any game (I like challenge).
According to the Stats screen, the campaign took me 15 hours, but I played "Wolverines!" over about 5 times so I'm pretty sure that extended the time by a good 3 or 4 hours...

So yeah, don't feel too bad. :p
In MW2, learn to take advantage of the autoaim. It's very generous.

EDIT2: and on the subject of the credits, I laughed out loud when it sped through the "Activision" credits. :lol

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
roman2003h said:
why did it take you 8 hours???? took me 4 and a half.. which i don't mind.. did you play on hardcore, because in that mode the game just pisses me off!

well umm, good for you?

I take my time when it comes to single player games and this one was no exception. why the fuck would I want to rush through it as fast as possible in 4 hours? Nice and slow for me. :D

plus I don't belive any of you guys that say you beat it on Veteran. The game was nearly impossible for me on RECRUIT!!!!! It took me 2 hours just to complete the training pit!!!!!!!

Rayme

brain_stew said:
Ironically Activision were founded by a bunch of Atari employees that were fed up with not being credited for their work. Oh how times have changed, they're truly a company proud of their heritage..................
Full credits are in the game. There was no way they would've been ready in time to print so many manuals.

sun-drop said:
fuck wondered why i wasn't getting any trophies .... pretty lame of IW to let the game ship with that bug
It didn't ship with the bug. Update 1.01, which went live before launch day, introduced the bug (which unfortunately didn't show up in testing). It was caught and fixed right afterwards, but it took a few days longer for 1.02 (which included a fix) to punch through cert.

Aspiring

Man i hate work. All my mates are hassling me to play this with them, but i dont have to time until the weekend! I have only played LEGO Rock Band for like 20 minutes. But without work i cant afford them. Man life sucks lol!

Enosh

panda21 said:
what was the CIA agent close to Makarov trying to achieve by infiltrating with him and killing a bunch of people at an airport? it would almost be believable if there was some even bigger plans Makarov had and he was just doing this for fun or something, but the whole shooting up the airport to start a war seemed to be the culmination of what he was trying to do, so what does the CIA guy going along with it achieve? why not just kill him?
infiltrate Markov, gain his trust, somewhere down the line kill him/arrest him. But sheppard told makarov about the CIA agent, Makarov kills him, the Russians find him and realise that he is an American, sudenly the whole airport massacre looks like it was done by Americans who wanted to blame the Ultranationalist, the CIA dude is going along with it beacose he has to, he can't give up his cover
why did price fire a nuke at america? did he intentionally detonate it in space so it would create an EMP?
yes, DC was basicly lost at this point, but by dissabling all the vehicles the russians are hurt a lot more, the Americans can bring in new troops quite fast, the Russians need to cross an ocean to resuply their troops with new vehicles
what the hell was going on with sheperd? tbh i could understand him being pissed with the price/soap etc gang for nuking america, at first i thought that was why he shot them at the end of the game. then all of a sudden he seemed to have some other motive but it mainly seemed to consist of killing price. what was 'sheperds truth' and what did he have to hide anyway other than killing the 141 guys? as far as i could tell all sheperd did was go looking for makarov and then killed off the 141 guys when they couldnt find him.
well engeniering the whole thing is a preaty important thing to hide, he wants to be the hero that saves the US, inflame the patriotism of the US etc, kinda hard to be a hero when there is evidence that you orcastrated everything in the first place

oh and
MW1: everyone lets go
MW2 24 bravo, this is 5 actual, we are oscar mike

MW1: enemy running away, shoot him
MW2: echo 54, enemy oscar mike, engage

o.k., it's not as bad as this, but they did crank the "military jargon" to 11 :D

The one thing I don't get about the story is why is Captain
Price in the Gulag to begin with? Did they just forget about him for 5 years or what?

panda21

Enosh said:
infiltrate Markov, gain his trust, somewhere down the line kill him/arrest him. But sheppard told makarov about the CIA agent, Makarov kills him, the Russians find him and realise that he is an American, sudenly the whole airport massacre looks like it was done by Americans who wanted to blame the Ultranationalist, the CIA dude is going along with it beacose he has to, he can't give up his cover

oh and
MW1: everyone lets go
MW2 24 bravo, this is 5 actual, we are oscar mike

MW1: enemy running away, shoot him
MW2: echo 54, enemy oscar mike, engage

o.k., it's not as bad as this, but they did crank the "military jargon" to 11 :D

well that makes a lot more sense now, i completely missed the whole
shepperd giving up the CIA agent to Makarov part, i thought Makarov just figured it out somehow
:lol when did it tell you about that?!

also totally noticed that they basically just went nuts copying popular phrases from generation kill... 'stay frosty'.

chubigans said:
Uncharted 2 is leagues ahead of this game in terms of story, setpieces, and just about everything else single player wise. Heck, even Batman is better. It's just unfortunate that this game came out after two-three blockbuster hits that really hit a home run...and COD6 is mostly more of the same.
I wish people would stop comparing this game to Uncharted 2. "SP isn't as good as Uncharted 2!" "Uncharted 2 is still GOTY!" Yes, we know Uncharted 2 is a good game, but it's really starting to get annoying.

I'm just got past
Whiskey Hotel

so far I like the single player, and the production values are amazing, however I haven't been moved by the story at all, which is something that MW1 did in strides.

as far as multiplayer, I havent put much time into it so far, haven't formed an opinion on any of the maps, but they did address my one main gripe in MW1, which was the difficulty seeing players only because of the color palette. Everything looks great, sharp and has a certain boldness that MW1 didn't have

Finished it. 7 Hrs. Pretty sure out of that 1.5 hrs is extra because of blood in my eyes. I'll have to read full story somewhere. Story wise ending was bullshit.
Why the fuck is there no explanation of what happened to Makarov?
. It is very short. At this rate CoD: MW3 is gonna be 2-3 hrs with missions
showing Makarov story ending.

Overall I like MW SP much more than MW2 SP.

xbhaskarx said:
I don't mind it. It seems like a fairly realistic impression of blood splatter to me, more so than the red stuff on the screen in Gears2.

It blocks your visibility.

Mr YuYu

YoungHav said:
HiphopGamer alleges that Infinity Ward pitched Cod4 exclusivity to Sony but Sony declined... is this fucking true?

lol IF this is true Sony must be quite pissed that they let that exclusive go. (pleased it isn't an exclusive though ;-)

Shame that they didn't include multiplayer achievements. Otherwise i'm loving it!

Raxus

Dax01 said:
I wish people would stop comparing this game to Uncharted 2. "SP isn't as good as Uncharted 2!" "Uncharted 2 is still GOTY!" Yes, we know Uncharted 2 is a good game, but it's really starting to get annoying.
Hell, since this has come out I haven't even touched Uncharted 2 to polish off crushing.

Enosh

Snapshot King said:
The one thing I don't get about the story is why is Captain
Price in the Gulag to begin with? Did they just forget about him for 5 years or what?
well the russians rescued you all at the end of MW1, so maybe they told soap/the british goverment that he is dead but they keept him for whatever reason, maybe already there some sentiments towards the support of the Ultranationalist were begining to surface

panda21 said:
well that makes a lot more sense now, i completely missed the whole
shepperd giving up the CIA agent to Makarov part, i thought Makarov just figured it out somehow
:lol when did it tell you about that?!

also totally noticed that they basically just went nuts copying popular phrases from generation kill... 'stay frosty'.

They dont tell you, its assumed. Its possible Makarov just figured it out himself, and that Shepherd did genuinely want to get him via the CIA guy, but after it all goes tits up, Shepherd needs to clean up the mess (Task Force 141). Theres a shit load that isnt straight up explained, nor much to go on with alot of things :( I mean, in the mission Exodus, who is the bloke in the panic room and whats the intel you pick up ? Never even mentioned after that afaik.

Cartman86

Banned
Spoilers for Watchmen and MW2.

It apeared to me that not only did Shepard have a sort of "hero complex" but he seemed to want to create a united country. He says at the end that now people are lining up to join the fight. In creating this war he has gained back the family he lost. It's Watchmen all over again.

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
panda21 said:

This times a kajillion.

fair enough hes undercover and doesnt want to blow it unless he really has to but seriously what the hell is he waiting around for? There really isnt much that Makarov could do that would be worse than murdering tons of people and kicking off world war 3. Makes zero sense even in the context of Modern Warfare's own universe of Team America patriotism.

Ten-Song

YoungHav said:
HiphopGamer alleges that Infinity Ward pitched Cod4 exclusivity to Sony but Sony declined... is this fucking true?

That has got to be absolute bullshit. No way after years of making money as a multiplatform game, would Activision suddenly decide to start making it a brand exclusive.

Enosh

Mr YuYu said:
Shame that they didn't include multiplayer achievements. Otherwise i'm loving it!
I am quite happy with that
I hate people doing stupid shit in the MP instead of actualy playing it

Mr YuYu said:
Shame that they didn't include multiplayer achievements.

Yeah so people can do all sorts of weird crap, and I'd see every room filled with people using ______ to get the 100 kills with ______ achievement? No thank you. No multiplayer achievements is something that more developers need to start doing.

Mr YuYu

Enosh said:
I am quite happy with that
I hate people doing stupid shit in the MP instead of actualy playing it

I get u there, but i quite like the 'get 100 kills with this gun' achievements or 'win 200 matches'

It is like i have something to look forward to while i'm playing. (as dumb as this sounds :lol )

certainly for this game, where i almost have 0% interest in de single player.

edit: I see i'm in the minority here ;-)

mr afghan jones said:
This times a kajillion.

fair enough hes undercover and doesnt want to blow it unless he really has to but seriously what the hell is he waiting around for? There really isnt much that Makarov could do that would be worse than murdering tons of people and kicking off world war 3. Makes zero sense even in the context of Modern Warfare's own universe of Team America patriotism.

They really should of mentioned something that was bigger than what happens in No Russian, which would be prevented by staying in cover further. Its left up to the player to think "what the hell is worse than this". Hopefully IW will clarify some shit in a few months time.

panda21

well i'm glad to see i'm not the only one that didn't understand wtf was going on :lol

its a real shame because i thought technically and gameplay-wise it was awesome fun and quite a lot better than mw1, especially the 141 missions. it even has all the elements there to put together a really intense serious story but whoever was in charge just completely dropped the ball and fucked it all up.

if it had just been a straight up 141 hunting down terrorists type thing while marines fight in afghanistan it could have been awesome but instead they went for some stupid ass 007 type plot that made no sense. i suppose that was the only way they could swing setting some of it in the US, which is completely unbelievable anyway given that both Russia and the US have nukes and would just blow each other to hell before that could ever happen.

panda21

Ogs said:
They really should of mentioned something that was bigger than what happens in No Russian, which would be prevented by staying in cover further. Its left up to the player to think "what the hell is worse than this". Hopefully IW will clarify some shit in a few months time.

thinking about it (probably a bad idea), the very fact that he says 'no russian' kind of implies they were intending to blame it on the US before they killed the CIA guy, so CIA guy basically just does a really good job of fucking himself over?! i guess you can say he was just trying to follow his orders or he had to or whatever but I think at that point any sane person would just have shot the Makster and his bros in the back. although then again i am of the opinion that most CIA operatives are probably borderline psychotic enough to just follow their orders and kill a bunch of civilians, but i dont think that was the point the game was trying to make

panda21 said:
thinking about it (probably a bad idea), the very fact that he says 'no russian' kind of implies they were intending to blame it on the US before they killed the CIA guy, so CIA guy basically just does a really good job of fucking himself over?! i guess you can say he was just trying to follow his orders or he had to or whatever but I think at that point any sane person would just have shot the Makster and his bros in the back. although then again i am of the opinion that most CIA operatives are probably borderline psychotic enough to just follow their orders and kill a bunch of civilians, but i dont think that was the point the game was trying to make

True, forgot about that :lol The MW2 wiki has been updated with the plot, might help a bunch of people looking to figure out what the fuck was going on.

"Modern Warfare 2 is set five years after the conclusion of Call of Duty 4. Despite the efforts of the Marines and the SAS, the Ultranationalists seize control of Russia and declare Zakhaev a hero and martyr. Meanwhile, Vladimir Makarov, one of Zakhaev's former lieutenants, begins a reign of terror against Europe by staging numerous terror attacks.

The game begins in Afghanistan, where US Army Ranger Private Joseph Allen helps take an Afghan city from an army of militants. Impressed, General Shepherd recruits Allen as a CIA operative and places him in Makarov's organization as an undercover operative. Meanwhile, Soap and Roach infiltrate a Russian airbase to recover a lost ACS module. Makarov, however, is one step ahead; he kills Allen, exposes his identity as an American, and turns him into a scapegoat for a brutal terrorist attack on a Russian airport.

Angered by what they believe is an American-supported terrorist attack, Russia stages a surprise invasion of the United States East Coast. Private Ramirez and the US Army Rangers are called upon to defend Washington D.C. from the Russian attack. Meanwhile, Task Force 141 works on taking down Makarov. They go to Rio de Janeiro to chase leads on Makarov's contacts, but these turn out to be dead ends. As a result, Soap decides to rescue one of Makarov's most hated enemies from a Russian prison and use him as bait to draw him out. With assistance from the SEALS and Marines, Task Force 141 manages to free the prisoner, who is revealed to be Price. Price agrees to help them track down Makarov, but knows they must do something extreme to end the war. He temporarily goes rogue, hijacks a Russian nuclear submarine, and launches an ICBM at Washington D.C. However, Price rigs the warhead to explode in the upper atmosphere, which destroys the International Space Station but spares Washington. The resulting electromagnetic pulse cripples both the US and Russian forces in the city. Later, Ramirez and his squad discover that the Air Force will assume that D.C. is lost and carpet bomb the city. The only way to abort the operation is to set off green flares on the roof of the White House, which is under Russian control. Ramirez and his squad fight their way to the roof the building and manage to set off their flares in the nick of time, while green flares on the roofs of other D.C. landmarks signifies that the city remains firmly in American hands.

Narrowing down Makarov's hiding place to two separate locations, Task Force 141 decides to split up. Soap and Price go to the boneyards in Afghanistan, while Roach and Ghost raid Makarov's safehouse in the Caucasus Mountains. The latter obtain vital intelligence to put an end to him for good. However, General Shepherd betrays them and kills both Ghost and Roach. He intends to take advantage of the global crisis to turn himself into a global hero as well as write history how he sees fit, explaining that during the events that transpired five years ago, he lost 30,000 men while the world just stood idly by and did nothing. Price and Soap manage to escape Shepherd's ambush, and decide to take revenge on him in one final, bloody suicide mission. After a brutal fist-fight, Soap manages to kill Shepherd, but he and Price are seriously wounded in the process. Nikolai then arrives to extract them. Price warns Nikolai that they will be international fugitives for what they've done, but Nikolai insists he knows a safe place to take them."

Ogs said:
Wiki paste
The problem with that is that
The Wiki and game specificially state/show that only the East Coast was effected by the Nuke's EMP.

What about the West Coast and Alaska, which are both CLEARLY shown to be invaded in the cutscene prior to "Wolverines!"?

Revolutionary said:
The problem with that is that
The Wiki and game specificially state/show that only the East Coast was effected by the Nuke's EMP.

What about the West Coast and Alaska, which are both CLEARLY shown to be invaded in the cutscene prior to "Wolverines!"?

DEFEND THE WEST COAST DLC !

isamu said:
well umm, good for you?

I just don't understand how you can take your time in a COD game? You're constantly pushed forward and outright punished for taking your time. There's taking more time by dying a lot but I'd hardly call that taking your time.

Revolutionary said:
Well duh, you trolled Uncharted 2 to the point of getting banned for a month. :lol
Never trolled anything.
Net_Wrecker said:
Yeah so people can do all sorts of weird crap, and I'd see every room filled with people using ______ to get the 100 kills with ______ achievement? No thank you. No multiplayer achievements is something that more developers need to start doing.
I'd be fine with multiplayer achievements so long as they're something like "play 100 ranked matches."

mr_mcgregors said:
Where the hell was I when all that was going on?!
Modern Warfare 2 and Modern Warfare both have a pretty good story, they're both just told badly.

Ten-Song

Net_Wrecker said:

Also, multiplayer is pretty much littered with achievements already. The leveling system has a shit ton of challenges and unlocks that make achievements pretty much pointless, and yeah, not having them on the multiplayer side is also great for keeping achievement boosting whores away.

panda21

wait...
so sheperd didn't orchestrate the whole Makarov thing and wasn't trying to start a war with Russia, the CIA guy just got caught by chance?

wtf is this shit :lol

panda21 said:
wait...
so sheperd didn't orchestrate the whole Makarov thing and wasn't trying to start a war with Russia, the CIA guy just got caught by chance?

wtf is this shit :lol

No, Shepherd and Marakov were working together, until Shepherd and his men decided to betray him, as part of the plan/war. Shepherd has been brewing a plan together since he lost 30,000 men in the nuke of COD4. As far as the CIA guy is concerned, he was deep undercover to get Marakov, instead, he was the key to the beginning of the invasion. He always was. 141 didn't know this until it was too late and they were betrayed (after finding out it was shepherd all along).

when you think about it, it's actually a pretty good story, only executed rather poorly and with a few holes.

taku

I've never really played a Multiplayer FPS like this on console before.

FPS games are hard using a controller. I mean, the controls are pretty spot-on but I don't know, anyone got any recommendations on sensitivity and how to, uh, aim using a controller? I mean, I'm doing okay and all on multiplayer but it just feels like I barely have any control over my aim. Or is this just a "you'll learn eventually" issue?

panda21

MarkMclovin said:
No, Shepherd and Marakov were working together, until Shepherd and his men decided to betray him, as part of the plan/war. Shepherd has been brewing a plan together since he lost 30,000 men in the nuke of COD4. As far as the CIA guy is concerned, he was deep undercover to get Marakov, instead, he was the key to the beginning of the invasion. He always was. 141 didn't know this until it was too late and they were betrayed (after finding out it was shepherd all along).

when you think about it, it's actually a pretty good story, only executed rather poorly and with a few holes.

well i would agree thats certainly an interpretation that would make sense but i don't think thats explicit in the game anywhere, unless i missed something where it says that S-dawg and the M-meister were working together

Top Bottom