• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

EekTheKat

I thought it was interesting that
Shepard was basically set up to be an American version of Zhakaev.
It does sort of make me wonder about MW3 and the possibility of
an American retaliation.

I felt like most of the themes behind the story Modern Warfare 2 has already been touched upon in other war/Clancy novels, games or media. Only it's been compacted in a form that your typical FPS gamer are more willing to digest, with most of the political intrigue stripped out and subsituted with Baysplosions.

I found the
bit where you're in the castle and the riot shield troopers came in incredibly difficult. I just couldn't find any cover. In the end, I just ran straight forwards and lept into the hole. Ghost followed about 10 seconds later and everything went quiet.
The way it's meant to be played!

panda21 said:
well i would agree thats certainly an interpretation that would make sense but i don't think thats explicit in the game anywhere, unless i missed something where it says that S-dawg and the M-meister were working together

I don't think it does say so in the game. Only you come up with the logical explanation
after Shepherd betrays 141 and burns the bodies and Makarov knows of the CIA agent. Also, I think that the VIP? in the safe room could have known about Shepherds plans. No forced entry, suicide etc point to this.

I could be wrong, but that is the only story that fits for me.

MarkMclovin said:
No, Shepherd and Marakov were working together, until Shepherd and his men decided to betray him, as part of the plan/war. Shepherd has been brewing a plan together since he lost 30,000 men in the nuke of COD4. As far as the CIA guy is concerned, he was deep undercover to get Marakov, instead, he was the key to the beginning of the invasion. He always was. 141 didn't know this until it was too late and they were betrayed (after finding out it was shepherd all along).

when you think about it, it's actually a pretty good story, only executed rather poorly and with a few holes.

Yeah, I mean why the fuck would Marakov and his chums take a stroll through the airport shooting the shit out of there own people? Because they knew they guy was american so it was a way to get the war going. Also doesent Shepard say that Marakov doesent have an alligence he just kills for money so chances are shepard payed him to do it. Oh and if you were going undercover properly youd pick a russian no?

I do wish they had not bothered with the americans missions but added more 141 as I just didnt give a shit about america getting invaded.

Kaltagesta said:
I found the
bit where you're in the castle and the riot shield troopers came in incredibly difficult. I just couldn't find any cover. In the end, I just ran straight forwards and lept into the hole. Ghost followed about 10 seconds later and everything went quiet.
The way it's meant to be played!

Stun grenades work a treat on them, stun-nade or stun-mow them down.

Semtex Grenades are amazing I have to add :lol

Johnlenham said:
Oh and if you were going undercover properly youd pick a russian no?

The CIA dude thinks he going undercover, Shepherd and Markarov know he's a pawn. Markarov has guys all over the place (hence Rio) so maybe he didn't need to be Russian. Marakov gets paid anyway, so job done, he's in like sin.

Raxus

taku said:
I've never really played a Multiplayer FPS like this on console before.

FPS games are hard using a controller. I mean, the controls are pretty spot-on but I don't know, anyone got any recommendations on sensitivity and how to, uh, aim using a controller? I mean, I'm doing okay and all on multiplayer but it just feels like I barely have any control over my aim. Or is this just a "you'll learn eventually" issue?
I find sensitivity comes down to personal preference. I just use the default settings.

taku

Raxus said:
I find sensitivity comes down to personal preference. I just use the default settings.
Default settings is what I used when playing SP but I found Medium to be too slow for MP. So, I tried High and I could barely aim with that. I kind of wish I bought this for PC now, haha. It's still fun though!

moai

Relix said:
So simple and fast, not convoluted... perhaps?

they also removed the intro video. it was cool the first time, but hearing "50000 people used to live here... Now, it's a ghost town" everytime i fired the game, was annoying.

taku said:
Default settings is what I used when playing SP but I found Medium to be too slow for MP. So, I tried High and I could barely aim with that. I kind of wish I bought this for PC now, haha. It's still fun though!

Goddman thats what it was. Last night I had some shocking games and I couldnt work out why, I forgot I changed the sensitivity settings :lol

Halcyon

I rented the game last night and it's my first COD game. The last FPS I played was Killzone 2. I can see why people that were familiar with COD's style said that KZ2 was sluggish and difficult to aim. I didn't realize the SP in these COD games had such ridiculous auto-aim. It's like zelda lock-on z-targeting. It's definately fun, but jeesh I do like to aim a bit when I play games.

Aside from that I'm probably 2 or 3 hours into it and it's really fun. The action is intense and I think after this i'm gonna have to rent MW1 and WaW. I played MW2 online for a match and got hammered mainly because I didn't really know what I was doing yet. I think another few matches and I'll be holding my own. I wasn't expecting it to only take a few shots to kill people. Stark contrast to UC2's multiplayer.

/livejournal

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm far from finished with the SP campaign, but three or four missions in I'm slightly disappointed. All the annoying shit from the previous games are still here and very much present in the levels I've played so far. The favelas was a nightmare for me to play through. There's a section I hard to replay ten times because I got shot from every direction by respawning enemies as soon as I stepped out.
it's been said a million times before, but the game does get significantly better. for me, I didn't really appreciate it until roughly the third act.

playing through again on Vet, and I have to say that I'm enjoying the beginning much more. But yeah, my first time through I was kind of indifferent toward it.

xrich

Banned
i couldnt remember if i played MW1 on Hardened or Vet so i chose Vet because it sounded right....that is some insane shit. i died at least 5 times in the first 10 minutes of playing. i must have played Hardened :lol

HalcyonTB12 said:
I rented the game last night and it's my first COD game. The last FPS I played was Killzone 2. I can see why people that were familiar with COD's style said that KZ2 was sluggish and difficult to aim. I didn't realize the SP in these COD games had such ridiculous auto-aim. It's like zelda lock-on z-targeting. It's definately fun, but jeesh I do like to aim a bit when I play games.

Aside from that I'm probably 2 or 3 hours into it and it's really fun. The action is intense and I think after this i'm gonna have to rent MW1 and WaW. I played MW2 online for a match and got hammered mainly because I didn't really know what I was doing yet. I think another few matches and I'll be holding my own. I wasn't expecting it to only take a few shots to kill people. Stark contrast to UC2's multiplayer.

/livejournal

I've long said that stamina is a issue with multiplayer. That being said, I picked it up on day one, mostly for co-op.

Was I the only one here who (spoiler for "that terrorist thingy that's on the news")
shot innocents on the ground who were trying to get away even when the real terrorists were ignoring them?

:(

How come you cant like click on a players name before the game and see what you see about yourself when you go into barracks. I need to see those stats for other people. Wtf that seems like it would be common sense to be right there available right before games.

HalcyonTB12 said:

/livejournal

You can skip WaW, the SP is awful.

daw840

Dark FaZe said:
Was I the only one here who (spoiler for "that terrorist thingy that's on the news")
shot innocents on the ground who were trying to get away even when the real terrorists were ignoring them?

I did the same........ :(

Griffith

Banned
Dark FaZe said:

No, I did as well. I'm a horrible person. :(

I'm absolutely loving cold blooded pro. I've had enemies run right past me, or look at me and look away without releasing I was an enemy. Makes stealth so much easier on levels with lots of long grass and plant life.

Just completed SP for the first time playing veteran. The game is a joke, all I basically did was shoot in the right direction while constantly tapping left trigger to auto-aim.
Encountered some frustrating points, but nothing that I couldn't do within a hour. But it felt so cheap, yet I felt (especially with the frustrating parts) that there was no option but to abuse it.

I really didn't care for the story, there was some cool bits and set pieces, it's a solid game, but I think after playing every cod game (except for the early console versions), the format is getting quite tired and boring for me, just doesn't engage me like it used to.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
imtehman said:
smh. you do realize that if i was a bad guy, i'd tell my henchmen to u know, shoot someone at all angles, and it would be smart to get guys on the roofs too.

Perhaps you should lower the difficulty instead of crying about how bad you are?
Oh, I got through it alright, but it's not really about difficulty nor is it about realism (as if this game is "realistic"). The design simply isn't fun. It's not good game design, that's all there is to it.

You ever play a CoD game? It's been like this since forever.
Of course, and that's the problem, I HAVE played a Call of Duty game. I also played Medal of Honor Allied Assault. They have NOT evolved the genre significantly since that game. It's the same formula. They continue to create single player content in exactly the same fashion as they always have.

This was the first CoD game they've created since the series really took off after the fourth game and I was hoping for some real improvements to the formula. It's still basically a scripted light gun style rail shooter.

I do believe that one of the largest complaints I have involves the basic pacing of the game. Everything is blowing up all the time and you are constantly being pushed to keep running and firing. There are no ups and down here. It's just constant. Even Allied Assault managed to avoid this problem. Remember the Normandy Beach invasion in that game? It was intense, but it would have felt a whole lot less special had the entire game held that level of intensity. That's precisely what MW2 is doing.

Honestly, the campaign would probably be longer if they varied the pacing a bit.

xrich

Banned
hmmm im wondering if i really did play on Veteran in MW1. can someone do me a huge favor?

i sold my MW1 so i have no way of checking...can i email you my save file and you check what difficulty i played the game on? would that require signing into my PSN?

ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm far from finished with the SP campaign, but three or four missions in I'm slightly disappointed. All the annoying shit from the previous games are still here and very much present in the levels I've played so far. The
favelas
was a nightmare for me to play through. There's a section I hard to replay ten times because I got shot from every direction by respawning enemies as soon as I stepped out.

I'm with you 100%. That level was horrible. But it seems like it does get better.

Denzar

Ok, so I read through the thread and I understand the story a bit better...

Still, it is told terribly. Really.

It reminded me of MGS 4, except Kojima had 4 games to tie together. Infinity Ward had 2 and they succeeded in making it even more confusing than MGS 4's story.

Also, I did not know Sheperd was a returning character from CoD4: Modern Warfare...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Fixed2BeBroken said:
I played and beat uncharted 2 and was blown away by that...but imo...this game destroys it.

played and loved batman as well...actually these are the only 3 games I have really played all the way through in like a year (next to shadow complex).

all were awesome, but codmw2 has blown me away...
That's actually an interesting opinion to me. I'd like to know what it is about MW2 that you believe elevates it above those games.

I only say that as I thought Batman and Uncharted 2 were both MUCH MUCH better than MW2. I'm just curious, really. :)

Uncharted is more cohesive and focused, certainly, but also it's far less original and ambitious than MW2.
MW2 isnt' even slightly original, though. It's the same game they've been releasing for years with a different set of locales. It's one of the least original games of the year.

MarkMclovin said:
No, Shepherd and Marakov were working together, until Shepherd and his men decided to betray him, as part of the plan/war. Shepherd has been brewing a plan together since he lost 30,000 men in the nuke of COD4. As far as the CIA guy is concerned, he was deep undercover to get Marakov, instead, he was the key to the beginning of the invasion. He always was. 141 didn't know this until it was too late and they were betrayed (after finding out it was shepherd all along).

when you think about it, it's actually a pretty good story, only executed rather poorly and with a few holes.
Like I said before
They should have had one flashback mission with Price, showing what he was up to during his absence, and one mission with Price post-EMP where he explains why he did what he did and what Shepherd and Makarov were really up to. As far as Shepherd and Makarov working together, I didn't get that impression AT ALL. What seemed to happen was that Makarov was being a terrorist regardless of what Shepherd was doing, and Shepherd just seemed to really want to start a war with Russia because he was delusional so he set put an undercover American in their midst and he outed him (likely anonymously-- I doubt Shepherd picked up the phone and told Makarov directly) so that he'd get the blame for terrorism and Russia would respond with an act of war.

Deepack said:
Ok, so I read through the thread and I understand the story a bit better...

Still, it is told terribly. Really.

It reminded me of MGS 4, except Kojima had 4 games to tie together. Infinity Ward had 2 and they succeeded in making it even more confusing than MGS 4's story.

Also, I did not know Sheperd was a returning character from CoD4: Modern Warfare...

Not just told terribly, it is terrible. Most of the explaining being done is just speculation because the game at no point even explains most of this shit having people make excuses for why and how, and it still doesn't fix many gaping plot/logic holes.

COD4 was a masterwork of storytelling in comparison, it flowed, had great integration into the actual play and it was simple and made some sense..... this not in the least.

Denzar

BattleMonkey said:
Not just told terribly, it is terrible. Most of the explaining being done is just speculation because the game at no point even explains most of this shit having people make excuses for why and how, and it still doesn't fix many gaping plot/logic holes.

COD4 was a masterwork of storytelling in comparison, it flowed, had great integration into the actual play and it was simple and made some sense..... this not in the least.

Never said the story was any good anyways but yeah, you hit the nail right on the head there for me.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Stoney Mason said:
I'll go ahead and disagree for the most part. I actually found the gun play engaging and the combat engaging in the single player which generally isn't the case in COD games. I thought this was a very credible SP experience. I can see someone not liking the style of it or preferring a different style of single player game and there are some specific complaints I have but for the most part I enjoyed it and not in an embarassing I wish this was like Halo kind of way.

It's a different style of shooter but I'll honestly say this one makes a credible case for being different. There were some utterly unique moments I loved in this one that I haven't really felt in other fps games. The favela and suburb fighting especially.

Hear hear. Agreeing with everything you said. My favorites were the blizzard and suburb missions and DC missions.

Some people complain about MW games being too scripted, but I've found that it works way better this way, than say, Farcry 2. I hate it when the sandbox game experience is shoved into every game I play. Instead of having to decide where I want to go next and so forth, I sometimes like a highly scripted story a lot more. All in all, I think MW2 had the right amount of freedom compared to MW1.

Most of the time I got really immersed into acting like a soldier would in different situations. You're always playing the role of a subordinate in the game, so it's semi-logical that you follow orders. A proper military officer doesn't just tell you "Ok head over there but feel free to look around and take detours on the way. Or, if you want, we could just go to Brazil instead."

TruHero

Banned
I finally finished the campaign on Hardened last night and was able to put in another 1.5hrs on XBL. Awesome game.

I'm going to start Veteran tonight, but only complete a chapter or two. I guess I'm not hardcore because Veteran on CoD2-4 & WaW made me want to smash my controller and snap the disc in half. So I'm going to take Vet on MW2 slow :lol

MW2 is my GotY....for now. L4D2 may change that

dark10x said:
That's actually an interesting opinion to me. I'd like to know what it is about MW2 that you believe elevates it above those games.

I only say that as I thought Batman and Uncharted 2 were both MUCH MUCH better than MW2. I'm just curious, really. :)

MW2 isnt' even slightly original, though. It's the same game they've been releasing for years with a different set of locales. It's one of the least original games of the year.
Well I'll say that IW took what Gears of War 2 did and ran with it by giving a ton of set pieces and different styles of gameplay to make the game feel fresh all the way through. They honestly could have doubled the length of the game and it probably wouldn't have felt it drags on.

That being said I think IW should to advance their game further. I think going to a Rainbow 6 Vegas type of drop off/extraction instead of using generic cutscenes between missions would be one thing just to keep the gamer in the experience better would be a good start. I'd also like to see them take a crack at what STALKER and Far Cry 2 did and do an open-world shooter-- maybe not for the whole length of the game, but perhaps 40-60% of the game could be in an open world environment. And I know they are big on their single player experience but they should really allow 4 player campaign co-op. Even if it has to be an unlockable.

I think the future of GOTY quality shooters lies somewhere in the realm of Far Cry 2 (a half baked idea because it was a lite RPG), Mass Effect and Fallout 3. Great shooting mechanics with a living breathing and non-linear world, NPCs that you interact with, etc.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
infinityBCRT said:
I think the future of GOTY quality shooters lies somewhere in the realm of Far Cry 2 (a half baked idea because it was a lite RPG), Mass Effect and Fallout 3. Great shooting mechanics with a living breathing and non-linear world, NPCs that you interact with, etc.

Aw hell no.

joelseph

xxjuicesxx said:
How come you cant like click on a players name before the game and see what you see about yourself when you go into barracks. I need to see those stats for other people. Wtf that seems like it would be common sense to be right there available right before games.

I would like to know how this is possible, it seems others are privy to the information and I can't figure it out either.

Griffith said:
No, I did as well. I'm a horrible person. :(

I'm absolutely loving cold blooded pro. I've had enemies run right past me, or look at me and look away without releasing I was an enemy. Makes stealth so much easier on levels with lots of long grass and plant life.

God I cant wait to get the pro version.

I used Bling (dot sight/silencer) Cold blooded and ninja I on the airport map in a hardcore team death match.
Climbed up on the roof that alows you to see most of the plane/glass corridor/escalator bit and camped there for most of the match :lol

Killed so many people I ran out of ammo on both guns I had to jump down nick another gun and went back to killing so I can imagine being able ot trick people into thinking your dead will be even more awesome:D

Luckyman

Banned
midwestern_stylings said:
Just completed SP for the first time playing veteran. The game is a joke, all I basically did was shoot in the right direction while constantly tapping left trigger to auto-aim.

Disable it in the options.

dark10x said:

The campaign is basically like IW isn't even trying anymore.

Merguson

Banned
Revolutionary said:
The problem with that is that
The Wiki and game specificially state/show that only the East Coast was effected by the Nuke's EMP.

What about the West Coast and Alaska, which are both CLEARLY shown to be invaded in the cutscene prior to "Wolverines!"?

I think that
was just a decoy for the radar system as no one reported any sightings on the West coast or Alaska. I think the Russians did it to prevent an early response to the real invasion on the east coast.

Wizman23

Banned
Dark FaZe said:

Same here....They gave me a SAW with 800 rounds in reserve for a reason. Scene didn't bother me at all. Like many have said, its a video game who cares.

Dyno

Finished the SP in two sittings and loved it overall! They really tried to amp up the patented COD chaos and succeeded for the most part though there were a couple levels that were just too zany for their own good. I really liked the story, it was filled with doom and anxiety throughout. As shooters become more plentiful and sophisticated its nice to see the big franchises finding their own identity. COD is now a completely different animal compared to ODST. I like where the genre is going.

Did anybody get use to the scope in/out auto-aim feature? That's new right? I don't remeber that in other games. I used it several times and it was a real big help when there are multiple tangos in the same area.

MP QUESTION : I got the PS3. When I select MP it tells me that the game has connected to the MP server but the game is still looking for my profile information. Does this for a few minutes and then says : NOTICE - Your sign in has changed. Returning to Main Menu. I get on PS Store no problem and other MP games work. Would it might have something to do with me playing COD4 on my old PS3 and this game on my new one? Is the net code for the two games the same and switching consoles is confusing it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Top Bottom