• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
fizzelopeguss said:
The campaign is basically like IW isn't even trying anymore.
hooray for hyperbole!

this is easily the most interesting "military shooter" linear FPS I've played in quite a long time. the game really shines on Vet, if you're the sort of person who likes that sort of thing. Some of the level design is actually surprisingly well done, despite how bad a taste a lot of it left in my mouth initially, and you don't appreciate it until you really have to rely on it.

calling it one of the most unoriginal games of the year is totally unfair. mechanically, yes, it's COD, but much like UC2, it's the little refinements, environments and general level design that elevate it something really cool.

different strokes, I guess. But unoriginal, or like IW were just 'phoning it in' aren't criticisms I'd take completely serious at this point. Name another military-style shooter in the same style as COD that is doing anything close to as interesting as what IW did with MW2. I can't think of any.

zaidr

Does anyone know how to get the 360 controller to work on the PC version? I've installed the drivers, the OS recognizes the controller (when I press the guide button, the help thing pops on the screen), but I can't set the controls in MW2...

Any help appreciated. I just got a projector, and I'd like to face the other way to play it on the big screen...

beast786

Rez said:
hooray for hyperbole!

this is easily the most interesting "military shooter" linear FPS I've played in quite a long time. the game really shines on Vet, if you're the sort of person who likes that sort of thing. Some of the level design is actually surprisingly well done, despite how bad a taste a lot of it left in my mouth initially, and you don't appreciate it until you really have to rely on it.

calling it one of the most unoriginal games of the year is totally unfair. mechanically, yes, it's COD, but much like UC2, it's the little refinements, environments and general level design that elevate it something really cool.

different strokes, I guess. But unoriginal, or like IW were just 'phoning it in' aren't criticisms I'd take completely serious at this point. Name another military-style shooter in the same style as COD that is doing anything close to as interesting as what IW did with MW2. I can't think of any.

Depends.

If his point was about story. Then yes, it really made absolutely no sense. Told during loading times and no effort utilizing cut-scenes.

Gameplay and progression is extacly like every IW COD games. Follow the leader and get there fast as you can. In about 5-6 hour period.

But. It also has was IW and COD is known for. Awesome ,Epic set pieces that are worth playing the game.

The graphics looks good in some areas and just crap in other. But overall its one of the better looking Multiplatform games. During the boat sequence the water looked more like Mud and crap.

Violater

Aside from the fact that I hardly knew what was going on I quite enjoyed the SP campaign. I think there were some shitty unexpected twists but overall I like where the story ended and the balls it took to make some of these decisions.
I'm not sure where I would want to see the series go, but I think this would make a good fall tv mini series :lol

Rez said:
hooray for hyperbole!

What did they do that was interesting? Not a single different mechanic that hasn't been done before, the story is laughably bad and poorly told. You move from point a to point b and shoot people. MW1 had all this and was far more cohesive in the story department, the only major difference is they got rid of the clone ai coming from the same locations, now been replaced with clones that come from multiple directions.

What game hasn't done what COD is a more appropriate question. Soldier dudes in a modern setting killing people?

glaurung

I don't get the bashing.

It is CoD.

CoD means shooting people: close up, from afar, with small and big guns and tossing grenades.

I find MW2 to be the very definition of this formula, if you prefer something that gives you more of an illusion of freedom and non-linearity, try... Crysis?

Jamesearlcash said:
What's so awesome ?
Each major section of the game has its own main menu. It's why I liked the Orange Box's menu system so much too.

infinityBCRT said:
Like I said before
They should have had one flashback mission with Price, showing what he was up to during his absence, and one mission with Price post-EMP where he explains why he did what he did and what Shepherd and Makarov were really up to. As far as Shepherd and Makarov working together, I didn't get that impression AT ALL. What seemed to happen was that Makarov was being a terrorist regardless of what Shepherd was doing, and Shepherd just seemed to really want to start a war with Russia because he was delusional so he set put an undercover American in their midst and he outed him (likely anonymously-- I doubt Shepherd picked up the phone and told Makarov directly) so that he'd get the blame for terrorism and Russia would respond with an act of war.
MW3. ;)

micromagic said:
Why is there no online stat tracking, have IW given a reason?
I really wish there was online stats from IW like Bungie does with Halo 3 and ODST. You can look up what level your friends are at, their perks, the challenges they've completed, their customs classes (etc)...

RedStep

YoungHav said:
HiphopGamer alleges that Infinity Ward pitched Cod4 exclusivity to Sony but Sony declined... is this fucking true?

It's true... unfortunately, Sony had all their liquid assets tied up in Haze at the time. :lol

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Level 8 Boss said:
So what's everyone's mp setup?

-SCAR-H with holographic sight

-Magnum with bullet penetration

-Sleight of Hand Pro

-Stopping Power Pro

-Steady Aim Pro

-UAV, Anti-UAV and Predator Missile

-Martyrdom!

I'd prolly need extended clips or care packages because of SCAR's low ammo amount.

joelseph

Osaka said:
-SCAR-H with holographic sight

-Magnum with bullet penetration

-Sleight of Hand Pro

-Stopping Power Pro

-Steady Aim Pro

-UAV, Anti-UAV and Predator Missile

-Martyrdom!

I'd prolly need extended clips or care packages because of SCAR's low ammo amount.

This is what I will be using. The SCAR is a beast!

Denzar

glaurung said:
I don't get the bashing.

It is CoD.

CoD means shooting people: close up, from afar, with small and big guns and tossing grenades.

I find MW2 to be the very definition of this formula, if you prefer something that gives you more of an illusion of freedom and non-linearity, try... Crysis?

It's insanely popular. So that's one of the reasons right there.

I will not argue over the fact that it's over hyped, cause frankly... it really is.

Also, why are the media outlets praising the graphics so much? It looks good, but up close all textures (except the ones on character models) look average at best.

GameTrailers even says the graphics are only matched by Uncharted 2.

REALLY?

Arhal_Katarn

Well i just finished it again this time on hardened, and i must say it's a far better game played on that setting compared to regular. Kinda like how Halo is best on Heroic, there where a few set pieces that i didn't like and i did have problems with the respawning enemies in some areas but i enjoyed it much more second time round.
I still prefer Halo 3 for single player but to be fair they are totally different styles of fps.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
Every online match for me has entailed either:

A) Me kicking arse.

or

B) Getting my arse kicked.

Momentum is key in this game. As soon as you you get your 5th kill its clear breezing. If you die 5 times, then god help you while you spawn into missile.

infinityBCRT said:
Like I said before
As far as Shepherd and Makarov working together, I didn't get that impression AT ALL. What seemed to happen was that Makarov was being a terrorist regardless of what Shepherd was doing, and Shepherd just seemed to really want to start a war with Russia because he was delusional so he set put an undercover American in their midst and he outed him (likely anonymously-- I doubt Shepherd picked up the phone and told Makarov directly) so that he'd get the blame for terrorism and Russia would respond with an act of war.

So your saying that Makarov was really smart to sniff out the CIA agent, plan the airport attack and shoot the agent knowing what those actions would do? And the fact that the Russian army moving to DC undetected was a co-incidence? And then the trap for 141, why? If Shepherd wants to be the hero here by defeating Makarov and whatever else in the process, surely his best team and way forward would be 141 as Price is supposed to be bait for Makarov?

winnarps

For some reason, it always feels like multiplayer cycles through the same 6 maps.

But then, after looking at the map list again, I've played all of them except 1.

Maybe some just feel too generic.

Derailed is way too big for 6v6.
Quarry, Estate, and Afghan feel borderline too big for 6v6, but they're pretty solid for 9v9.
Scrapyard, Sub Base, and Highrise feel perfect for 6v6.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm looking forward to getting the FAL, actually. Any impressions? Is it semi-auto, burst, or auto?

Also, is there a comprehensive list somewhere online on how to earn the different titles?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BattleMonkey said:
What did they do that was interesting? Not a single different mechanic that hasn't been done before, the story is laughably bad and poorly told. You move from point a to point b and shoot people. MW1 had all this and was far more cohesive in the story department, the only major difference is they got rid of the clone ai coming from the same locations, now been replaced with clones that come from multiple directions.

What game hasn't done what COD is a more appropriate question. Soldier dudes in a modern setting killing people?
the story was too ambitious, and not told well. it's like the writers wrote around the set-piece moments rather than naturally working them into a cohesive narrative (although they clearly have some sort of goal, but unfortunately it just got lost in a mix of poorly told loading screen exposition and in-game chatter that was mostly inaudible on my 5.1 setup).

the 'not one single different mechanic' thing is... well, it's a criticism you can level at basically any game nowadays. What makes these linear games interesting is their window-dressing. The setting. The way the mechanics are linked together to form a sequence of levels. In that regard, I think MW2 really succeeds.

The settings throughout, and what IW had me doing in them, were executed on a level that just worked for me. If you replaced the assets in each level with WWII jungles and removed the narrative context, then yeah, I guess it would have been just another average game, much in the same way HL2, UC2 or COD4 would have been. As thin as the narrative was, it was enough to keep me compelled as I moved through environments (which I, by the way, found to be genuinely interesting).

It's easy to be a cynic, but I strongly believe that IW did some really ballsy, interesting stuff with this game, and despite the numerous, glaring flaws the game DOES have, I ended up really enjoying myself, which is more than I can say about most other primarily multiplayer-centric military shooters' single-player campaigns.

Griffith

Banned
Level 8 Boss said:
So what's everyone's mp setup?
Primary - Scar
Secondary - Stinger

Bling Pro (Silencer, Red dot)
Cold blooded Pro
Ninja

Smoke grenade
Throwing knives

Predator missile, Harrier strike, AC 130

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
GuardianE said:
I'm looking forward to getting the FAL, actually. Any impressions? Is it semi-auto, burst, or auto?

Also, is there a comprehensive list somewhere online on how to earn the different titles?
Semi-auto. Think G3 from CoD4. Very strong as well, one of my favorite guns for accuracy.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Griffith said:
Primary - Scar
Secondary - Stinger

Bling Pro (Silencer, Red dot)
Cold blooded Pro
Ninja

Smoke grenade
Throwing knives

Predator missile, Harrier strike, AC 130

Ninja is pretty pointless, nobody uses heartbeat sensor.

winnarps

GuardianE said:

FAL is single shot, with some recoil. Definitely not the peashooter that the G3 was in MW1.

I've been trying to find a list myself.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
You know what's shitty? Snipers.

Snipers are nigh unanticipatable (totally a word). The level with the mansion and the greenhouse are HORRIBLE when it's a capture point game because you're forced to spawn in a very specific area and once the enemy has set up, the only way to push out is to snipe them back and try and leak guys out of your area.

...snipers just drive me crazy.

Maps where sniping is hard or pointless: 2:1 or 3:1 K/D ratio.
Maps where sniping is rampant: .75:1 or 1:1 K/D ratio.

Snipers Are Douchebags.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
K2Valor said:
Semi-auto. Think G3 from CoD4. Very strong as well, one of my favorite guns for accuracy.

winnarps said:
FAL is single shot, with some recoil. Definitely not the peashooter that the G3 was in MW1.

I've been trying to find a list myself.

Thanks, guys. That sounds like the perfect gun for me. The G3 was my favorite in CoD4.

Osaka said:

Heartbeat sensor is completely useless in MP. It's refresh rate is way to slow to have any use in fast moving mp and it's just very vague. Guess it had a use in the single player, but for this games online it has no use.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Snipe or be sniped, welcome to the jungle baby, you're gonna DIE!!!!!

Seriously, has there ever been a multiplayer game with a sniper rifle where somebody hasn't complained about it pretty much immediately?

If there is a spawnpoint unprotected from sniper fire is that really a problem with snipers... or is that a problem with map design?

Griffith

Banned
Osaka said:
I've seen quite a few people use it in headquarters. Plus, Ninja Pro is basically dead silence.

Nelo Ice said:
i need to get cold blood pro i guess the best way is to use the launcher and shoot down the multiple uavs?
Yep.

RubxQub

Osaka said:
This will change when the game has been out much longer and people have had a chance to unlock it.

Last night this guy with a radar jammer and a heartbeat monitor was dominating fools because he could come up on you and you'd have nothing but audio cues to figure out he was coming.

I've seen it used with devastating effectiveness.

Agreed that not enough people use it just yet, though, to make the perk worth taking.

`Moe Joe. said:

A) Me kicking arse.

or

Momentum is key in this game. As soon as you you get your 5th kill its clear breezing. If you die 5 times, then god help you while you spawn into missile.

I couldn't agree with this more. Last night I pretty only came either first or last and not much in between. Very odd. Overall, though, the MP is where it's at.

I'm only half way through SP but I'm in the camp of being highly unimpressed so far.

The sections I've played in Amercia (so far) scream half-arsedness. I essentially feel like I've played this game before. I also feel extraneous to the entire scenario. Do i really need to be there?

However, the odd occasion where IW have tried something slightly different have been relatively pleasant but nothing I'd want to play twice.

As for spec-ops... I suck at the moment but the levels are already far more enjoyably designed than any scenario the SP seems to be throwing at me. I need someone to play co-op with though. Gaf?

Edit: I saw someone online using both the Barrett 20. cal and the magnum as a machine gun and it is stupidest shit I've ever seen. Seriously IW I'm not looking for uber-realism, but fix that shit now.

winnarps

Bling Pro with Silencer/Heartbeat sensor + Cold Blooded + Ninja = extremely lethal.

Especially when the other team pops their UAV and doesn't expect slaughter from behind.

I see heartbeat sensors all the time, but mostly in the full premade groups.

MarkMclovin said:
So your saying that Makarov was really smart to sniff out the CIA agent, plan the airport attack and shoot the agent knowing what those actions would do? And the fact that the Russian army moving to DC undetected was a co-incidence? And then the trap for 141, why? If Shepherd wants to be the hero here by defeating Makarov and whatever else in the process, surely his best team and way forward would be 141 as Price is supposed to be bait for Makarov?
Did you read what I said? I said that the CIA agent was outed by Shepherd, but it was likely through an anonymous channel-- Makarov did exactly what Shepherd wanted but Shepherd likely never contacted Makarov directly nor did Makarov know that Shepherd was the one who outed the CIA agent.

RubxQub

winnarps said:
Bling Pro with Silencer/Heartbeat sensor + Cold Blooded + Ninja = extremely lethal.

Especially when the other team pops their UAV and doesn't expect slaughter from behind.

I see heartbeat sensors all the time, but mostly in the full premade groups.
I don't really like heartbeat sensors so much myself. I find that my eyes are on my gun more than what's in front of me and often times I'll get killed because I'm not focusing on what's around me.

Silencer/Holographic + Cold Blooded + Ninja is certainly a build I plan on using a lot. Nothing is better than fucking with people's expectations.

Rez said:
the story was too ambitious, and not told well. it's like the writers wrote around the set-piece moments rather than naturally working them into a cohesive narrative (although they clearly have some sort of goal, but unfortunately it just got lost in a mix of poorly told loading screen exposition and in-game chatter that was mostly inaudible on my 5.1 setup).

the 'not one single different mechanic' thing is... well, it's a criticism you can level at basically any game nowadays. What makes these linear games interesting is their window-dressing. The setting. The way the mechanics are linked together to form a sequence of levels. In that regard, I think MW2 really succeeds.

The settings throughout, and what IW had me doing in them, were executed on a level that just worked for me. If you replaced the assets in each level with WWII jungles and removed the narrative context, then yeah, I guess it would have been just another average game, much in the same way HL2, UC2 or COD4 would have been. As thin as the narrative was, it was enough to keep me compelled as I moved through environments (which I, by the way, found to be genuinely interesting).

It's easy to be a cynic, but I strongly believe that IW did some really ballsy, interesting stuff with this game, and despite the numerous, glaring flaws the game DOES have, I ended up really enjoying myself, which is more than I can say about most other primarily multiplayer-centric military shooters' single-player campaigns.

It really didn't feel any different from anything done in previous COD's to me, COD4 I think raised a bar that few could match. Lot of the stuff in the campaign just felt like it was regurgitating material from 4 but often just taken to an extreme or not well enough. Set pieces like the Gulag siege and the Capital stuff looked impressive visually, but the I mean that was no different from the mission of assaulting the Reichstag building in WaW which was just as impressive in scope and visual, and somewhat historical. Lot of it was pretty much on rails and way to guided. The "stealth" portions were just way to easy and you had you hand held the entire time unlike the big one we saw in 4 which was somewhat challenging and made you feel like actual stealth instead of an interactive cut scene.

The campaign as a whole just felt like it was copying 4 with different skin tossed on and a less coherent story. Nice visual set pieces but the wow factor never set in or impressive narrative moments such as the escape/nuke sequence from 4.

glaurung said:
I don't get the bashing.

It is CoD.

Absolutely agree, this is the 6th game in this series, and they have all followed the same basic formula, why would they change now?

`Moe Joe. said:

A) Me kicking arse.

or

How true. The early game is so important. Those first 30-60 seconds often set the tone for the entire rest of the game.

RubxQub

KittyKittyBangBang said:
Absolutely agree, this is the 6th game in this series, and they have all followed the same basic formula, why would they change now?
If they really wanted to wow us, they'd change something about the way SP works.

If they want to keep selling billions of copies risk free, they should just leave it alone.

Osaka said:
Aw hell no.
Okay I'll give you that I didn't take into account the multiplayer-- I haven't got into the MW2 multiplayer side yet (but plan to do it) and didn't play COD4's multiplayer. If the multiplayer is great, that would put it in GOTY contention (and from all sources, it is). But from the single player side alone, I think a 6 hour linear campaign leaves a little to be desired.

Dyno

BattleMonkey said:
The campaign as a whole just felt like it was copying 4 with different skin tossed on and a less coherent story. Nice visual set pieces but the wow factor never set in or impressive narrative moments such as the escape/nuke sequence from 4.

That's too harsh IMO. In the first MW they skirted the issues with skirmish level battles and a storyline to match. Rather then rehash that they went to full-fledged invasions. That was pretty gutsy to me. But how can they explain a full-fledged invasion? This is where their main theme comes in...

False Flags. The entire story is a series of false flags, so that no one actually starts a war but everyone responds to an act of war. I thought it was an interesting thing to explore and IW had a lot to say about that, as they do about all aspects of war.

MrPliskin

Banned
chubigans said:
Dunno, but I do know the friends list bug will be fixed tomorrow.

poop. Well, the friends list thing is what's causing the party errors, so that means it isn't fixed yet.

Darn, I was hoping to get together with my Clan tonight and ravage some n00bs.

Top Bottom