• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

-viper- said:
how long is the campaign?

Also, is it possible to turn off parts of the HIDEOUS multiplayer HUD?

Call Of Duty Modern Warface 2

war_face1.jpg

is about 5 to 7 hours long

jiien

Apocalyptatron said:
Man I am really liking this game but I do have my complaints.

I was on the roof of burger town trying to launch the raptor at the approaching enemies, but every time i get shot it brings me out of raptor screen, which is fine, but do my team mates have to say "Ramirez there's a guy on the roof" It's like ok, I'm working on something else over here, how about you help me out and take him out for me, ass. In the time it took you to tell me that you could have shot him for me, you obviously noticed him.

Your squad mates are always in the way, and they don't help you out at all, they just stand there and wait for you to kill everyone. While that is fun, it becomes annoying when I keep being taken out of the raptor screen.

Yeah, freaking unbelievable AI. I played through the campaign on hardened, so maybe they make the AI dumber to ramp up difficulty? But I don't think I ever had a case where I was thinking, wow thank god I have friendlies here. I literally had to do all of the work myself. My teammates couldn't hit shit, but the enemy was always ungodly accurate. Crazy. Though I like being badass, I like scenarios in which I'm working together with my squad, rather than just leading them around.

Well, so far I'm not liking the multiplayer as much as CoD4. The maps seem very cluttered(one map was just a bunch of yellow concrete blocks, Militia I think) and some of the shit is overpowered. I got an Ac-130 at 4 kills with an airdrop, and proceeded to get 14 kills with it. That shit is ridiculous.

On the other hand, I love the powered up unlocks, and the ability to unlock new equipment for each gun by using equipment acquired (eg RDS->holographic). Not liking how much longer it takes to switch to your secondary pistol though, seems like the time got increased.

Im sure it will grow on me, but it seems a little more imbalanced in favor of the "deathmatch" players (luckily TDM is my preferred gametype, so it doesnt fuck things up too bad for me). I can see playing headquarters with AC-130s and predator missiles dropping left, right and center to be a little less enjoybable.

RubxQub is bitching about snipers?

Don't just bitch about them, show them who's boss, Rubx!

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:

http://footloose.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/war_face1.jpg[/IM

is about 5 to 7 hours long[/QUOTE]
When's that game coming out?

JesseZao

chubigans said:
I like how the riot shield, when not equipped and on your back, protects you from bullet fire. I dont know if it protects backstabbing too, but worth checking!

Oh, it does >:| and it pissed me off to find that out :lol

BattleMonkey said:
Or perhaps we've just been far more impressed by other games?

Hmm, I don't think I was ever disputing that. Defensive much?

Here's the funny thing about this....I was never really impressed with the first MW. Which is wierd....I mean, it was a great game and all that...But at the time, I didn't get the hype. I liked it alot, but wasn't blown away like I was with this game. The direction of this game just felt much more raw, gritty, and more...I dont know...fun to me. Of course I am just referring to the single player experience....what blew me away in COD4 was multiplayer. The single player experience wasnt as refreshing...as this game to me.

If you even track back to those threads...You wont see any posts from me gushing over that game Like I am this one.

Oh, and in regards to the story....I can't really tell much about the story in MW1...nor could I tell you much about the story in MW2. Cause I never cared as much for the actual story when It came to FPS games. Like seriously...do people really care that much about story in Action games? I care more about the gameplay...set peices...scenarios...etc...Story, I could give a shit about in a game like this. I really never understood the crying over storys in these type of games and never will.
In fact, the only time I ever cared about the story in a FPS game would probably be....Dues ex maybe? but that's a tottally different type of game...but In a Balls out military shooter? lol...shit no, who cares.

Honestly, I went into CoD4 MW1 super hyped. This game I didn't go in hyped at all, I was expecting the same old game with much better graphics. Maybe that's why Im blown away as well?

Anyways, anyone get a "raven shield" feeling when playing the special ops mission alpha - evasion? damn that was great.....raven shield was such a great game....I think I might just reinstall that on my PC.

Frostburn

jiien said:
Yeah, freaking unbelievable AI. I played through the campaign on hardened, so maybe they make the AI dumber to ramp up difficulty? But I don't think I ever had a case where I was thinking, wow thank god I have friendlies here. I literally had to do all of the work myself. My teammates couldn't hit shit, but the enemy was always ungodly accurate. Crazy. Though I like being badass, I like scenarios in which I'm working together with my squad, rather than just leading them around.
I agree completely, I really felt like I couldn't rely on my squadmates at all (except the very few areas that you go through with just one other person.) I played through on Normal and now I'm playing through on Veteran and the fiendly AI is exactly the same.

I loved the Single player anyway. Although it was shorter than MW1 for me (I finished the campaign in 5 hours 5 minutes). I'm excited to get into Spec Ops and Multiplayer, it is a great game overall.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
The heartbeat sensor is money. I like how it'll beep at you when you're running so you can slow down and take a look. It's been a great tool for telling my teammates who are ahead of me what corner they should turn to. I just wouldn't recommend using it in tight spaces or multi-level buildings.

Biff

Frostburn said:
I agree completely, I really felt like I couldn't rely on my squadmates at all (except the very few areas that you go through with just one other person.) I played through on Normal and now I'm playing through on Veteran and the fiendly AI is exactly the same.
True, but in Veteran you actually need your friendlies to progress.

Mostly for them to act as bullet sponges while you press forward and dive for cover, but they do *occasionally* get a kill every once in a while :p

Fugu

Playing this game has been a visceral experience for me.

I feel like everyone else dies really fast, while I am indestructible. Perhaps my 2.5:1 kdr reflects that...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
COD's single-player is not at all my cup of tea. the presentation value was definitely worth the price of admission though. i actually felt dirty after the airport scene...

multiplayer is fantastic though. it definitely feels waay more hectic and fast paced vs. MW1 and currently i'm undecided if thats a good thing or a bad thing, its just different. i do love the extended perk system and kill/deathstreaks. adds a lot more choice to how you want to play and really tweak your loadout to styles and maps.

Mikey Jr.

Do you get more custom slots? WaW had 10 and was excellent.

Are you stuck with 5 again in MW2? Would be fucking moronic if true.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
wow. I'm terrible at this game. Like the learning curve is nearly to large to even bother playing on line bad.

Move a bit -> dead. repeat :/

HoRNS456

Banned
I am not that impressed with the online. IMO, it's COD4.5. I'll give it to the weekend then I'll trade it off on Craigslist.

It's a great game, just not for me...

RavenFox

Banned
Mutagenic said:
The heartbeat sensor is money. I like how it'll beep at you when you're running so you can slow down and take a look. It's been a great tool for telling my teammates who are ahead of me what corner they should turn to. I just wouldn't recommend using it in tight spaces or multi-level buildings.
It's great your right but I find it distracting at times. Went back to my silencer.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Things that I have noticed in MP is that some maps have really shitty starting positions and sometimes the care packages give waaaay too powerful rewards. Really those are my only complaints so far. Was really getting a hang of it last night and am loving it. :D

jiien

catfish said:
wow. I'm terrible at this game. Like the learning curve is nearly to large to even bother playing on line bad.

The key to playing online is to know the maps. I know the game is barely out, but play constantly, and you'll eventually get a feel for all the maps. Once you know them, you know where people will most likely pop up. So move slowly, watch your hot corners, and you'll do fine.

Seriously, it's all about how well you know your maps. Don't step out blindly.

jiien

divisionbyzorro said:
W@W only had 10 if you prestiged 10 times. Hardly counts.

I had seven or eight custom slots in WaW, and I used every single one of them. They were not pointless at all. Then again, there were designated "tank" maps in WaW, which forced different loadouts of perks/secondaries.

Raxus

Nelo Ice said:
slyly placed tactical insertions+ignorant enemies=easy kills and a ton of knifes :lol
The primary grenades are all good. Tactical insertion for quick vengeance, Semtex is ok but takes skill, Claymores got nerfed, C4 is still awesome although it seems to not have the same explosive radius I liked.
I have to put emphasis on throwing knifes though. Ridiculous? Yes. Awesome? You bet your sweet candy ass they are. They are quick instant kills with no cook time involved and you almost always have one available. I just have to get used to the throw arc of the suckers.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Dax01 said:
RubxQub is bitching about snipers?

Don't just bitch about them, show them who's boss, Rubx!
I think with that little smoke grenade suggest (kind of mad I didn't think of it myself, considering my heavy Counter-Strike history) will help me equalize my issue.

...but it doesn't mean I like them anymore :)

Lyonaz

Holy shit at Special Ops Charlie - Hidden.
I played that splitscreen with a friend and seriously, both ghillied up and then crawling through grass watching out for enemies snipers, is fuck awesome. Especially coordinating to flank one when being shot at. Great stuff. Give multi-player map with only ghilly snipers pls!:D

JesseZao

HoRNS456 said:
I am not that impressed with the online. IMO, it's COD4.5. I'll give it to the weekend then I'll trade it off on Craigslist.

It's a great game, just not for me...

I am not that impressed with the post. IMO, it's New Release Complain Post4.5. I'll give it to the weekend then I'll edit it off on NEOGaf.

It's a great post?, just not for me...

kaskade

Spec Ops is awesome. My friend and I played about half of them last night. The AC 130 mission has to be my favorite so far. I was in the 130 and my friend was on the ground. He would start to say like there a bunch of enemies coming out of the houses. Do you see them? Getting anxious. Then I would just tell him to relax, shoot off the big boy gun and take them all out. I would just here him gigggle on the other end. That went on the whole duration of the round and it was amazing.

Raxus

Lyonaz said:
Holy shit at Special Ops Charlie - Hidden.
I played that splitscreen with a friend and seriously, both ghillied up and then crawling through grass watching out for enemies snipers, is fuck awesome. Especially coordinating to flank one when being shot at. Great stuff. Give multi-player map with only ghilly snipers pls!:D
Done welcome to wasteland :lol .

oracrest

beat the single player game last night
awesome gameplay, infinity ward style. Lots of good Metal Gear homage throughout, like the first modern warfare. But they don't ride Kojima's coattails so much as pay tribute with a nod here and there I thought. Ghost especially reminded me of Snake's zombie face in Snake Eater.

The attack on America was really fun. I spent a good 20 minutes wandering around Burger Town marvelling at the detail that went into those environments. Even the soda cup dispensers behind the counter were all filled at different levels. The little touches like that are what make the game feel incredibly immersive.

Like the first Call of Duty, I like how they jump around and keep you on your toes, rather than there being any real stretch of boring anywhere.

A really fun fiction that they have made. They keep it grounded as far as the military stuff goes, but take a lot of liberties that you can't when tied to a historical context like WW2.

The breach, Predator, sniping segments were all really well done, there wasn't any situation in which it felt like they didn't polish the mechanic out to fit in with the rest of the game.

and really no big LOD popping issues like most next gen games.

I think they really hit the nail on the head when it comes to social commentary via gameplay. It does have an incredible impact to play through a scene as a character, only to be assassinated or taken out at the end. It feels like so much more than just a game for me. I think Captain Price is becoming of my favorite recent game heroes, he is always a lot of fun to play along side of.

Kudos, Inifinity Ward. Can't wait for the next one.

panda21

what do you get for prestiging in this? someone most of done it by now

oh and is there a nighttime MP map where you have to use the NVG? i'm guessing not since you dont seem to be able to use them at all

snack

catfish said:

Try camping and wait for the enemy to come to you.

jiien

panda21 said:
oh and is there a nighttime MP map where you have to use the NVG? i'm guessing not since you dont seem to be able to use them at all

I have not run into a nighttime map. I've been playing TDM solely, and I hear there are other maps in other modes, though.

Raxus

Tom Penny said:
So what is the consensus on multiplayer. Is it better and more balanced than the original or is worse?
It has only been out for 3 days give it time. Know this.

Ammo drop is complete bullshit at the moment.
You will be at a slight disadvantage starting out with the beginning classes.
The game really picks up its stride once you pass 25.

dpp

Neo Member
Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
is about 5 to 7 hours long

I finished it under 4h30mins... on regular. And I wasn't in a hurry at all, just playing it like any other shooter.

Don't expect it to be too long unless you die a LOT.

Tom Penny said:
So what is the consensus on multiplayer. Is it better and more balanced than the original or is worse?
There are some adjustments that need to be made. Right now, my main problem is the time period for any air support that hovers over the map (attack chopper, AC130 gunship, etc). It needs to be shortened.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dax01 said:
There are some adjustments that need to be made. Right now, my main problem is the time period for any air support that hovers over the map (attack chopper, AC130 gunship, etc). It needs to be shortened.
I don't mind that at all. A few rockets and I just got an instant 400 points. :D

Top Bottom