• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

PatzCU

The FAMAS just does not seem to be cutting it in multiplayer. Finally got the red dot for it, but I'm still getting owned by people running around with full-auto rifles. I'm guessing I would need to be headshotting with the FAMAS.

hyduK

Banned
PatzCU said:
The FAMAS just does not seem to be cutting it in multiplayer. Finally got the red dot for it, but I'm still getting owned by people running around with full-auto rifles. I'm guessing I would need to be headshotting with the FAMAS.
I'm using the SCAR-H now, but the FAMAS did me pretty well. Do you have stopping power?

Sean

Banned
Tom Penny said:
So what is the consensus on multiplayer. Is it better and more balanced than the original or is worse?

Well one good thing is there's a lot less grenade spam so far.

But the air support killstreaks seem stupidly overpowered. Sure you can say "just shoot em down", but a lot of times you'll spawn and instantly be killed by them. And when you're busy focusing on shooting a helicopter, the enemies are busy killing you on the ground. The choppers and stuff are just annoying.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
CcrooK said:
Riot Shields. They need to break or something if I'm going to launch a fucking RPG at it. Seriously.
They do seem overly unbreakable, that's for sure :lol

The force of the impacts alone should be doing something to people behind riot shields.

Dax01 said:
There are some adjustments that need to be made. Right now, my main problem is the time period for any air support that hovers over the map (attack chopper, AC130 gunship, etc). It needs to be shortened.

I think a lot of people just don't realize that they can be easily shot down.

RubxQub

lemon__fresh said:
I think a lot of people just don't realize that they can be easily shot down.
Most people don't have Stinger rockets unlocked just yet, or don't seem to equip them in their load-outs.

Raxus

Dax01 said:
There are some adjustments that need to be made. Right now, my main problem is the time period for any air support that hovers over the map (attack chopper, AC130 gunship, etc). It needs to be shortened.
AC130 is fine as is. It is an 11 kill streak for a reason. Most of this shit can be taken down right quick if more people would use stinger missiles. Gunner chopper should be nerfed a bit. The airdrops should take longer to drop the supply crate so I have a chance to shoot it down.

PatzCU

hyduK said:
I'm using the SCAR-H now, but the FAMAS did me pretty well. Do you have stopping power?

Ya, I'm using stopping power. It's really just a toss-up. I'll go 13-3 one match and then 4-8 the next two. I just unlocked the SCAR-H so I may give that a try. I think there's also something to be said about just learning the maps. I've only put about 2.5 hrs into MP so far.

I am not used to the Scramblers running around yet either. That perk is DEADLY. It's like seeing a shark fin or something, you know someone is going to pop around one of the next corners.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
PatzCU said:

the FAMAS is awesome. i prefer the control of a 3 round burst rather then relying on my finger to not go overboard with a full auto. the bullet spread for it is nice and tight, and its super easy to nail long distance kills with it. of course i am using stopping power as well, i'm sure that helps.

Kydd BlaZe

PatzCU said:
FAMAS + Stopping Power= Ownage

I beat it in one sitting yesterday. Short game is short.

I found it to be mostly boring, but it did have some highlights, and when it did, it was awesome. The ending was great, IMO.

Now for the addiction of multiplayer.

RubxQub said:
Most people don't have Stinger rockets unlocked just yet, or don't seem to equip them in their load-outs.

I am definitely guilty of the latter, got that whole "I'll let someone else deal with it" attitude.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Raxus said:
The airdrops should take longer to drop the supply crate so I have a chance to shoot it down.

airdrops are a double edged sword. a good team can pick off a poor team easily as they blindly run at the drop box for goodies only to get a bullet in the head.

steadfast

op_ivy said:
airdrops are a double edged sword. a good team can pick off a poor team easily as they blindly run at the drop box for goodies only to get a bullet in the head.

I tossed the airdrop smoke beneath a part on Underpass where there is a broken piece of freeway above you that is inaccessible.

Dropping it there caused the crate to land on the broken freeway bit and I used that as bait for opposing team circling below looking for it but never finding it. The little HUD indicator even shows that it's above you but it was ignored. Much fun to be had :)

PatzCU

Kydd BlaZe said:
FAMAS + Stopping Power= Ownage

Alright, I think I just need to get to know the maps better. I agree the long distance ability of the FAMAS is amazing. I think I'll switch to a full-auto setup on the more close-quarters maps.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
RavenFox said:
It's great your right but I find it distracting at times. Went back to my silencer.
It can be distracting for sure, especially when you end up looking at it more than what's in front of you. You're right about the silencer being a valuable attachment (anything to keep you off the grid is almost essential). I'd love to use the bling perk and have both attachments equipped, but I simply can't part with the quick aiming gained from slight of hand.

Chrange

Banned
steadfast said:
I tossed the airdrop smoke beneath a part on Underpass where there is a broken piece of freeway above you that is inaccessible.

Dropping it there caused the crate to land on the broken freeway bit and I used that as bait for opposing team circling below looking for it but never finding it. The little HUD indicator even shows that it's above you but it was ignored. Much fun to be had :)

I like to throw it down in between the soccer nets on Favela - it's a total killzone in there, with no cover and tons of avenues for attack. :lol

Kydd BlaZe

PatzCU said:
Alright, I think I just need to get to know the maps better. I agree the long distance ability of the FAMAS is amazing. I think I'll switch to a full-auto setup on the more close-quarters maps.
Yup.

I use the FAMAS (equipped with a holographic sight) on maps that require long range combat. I use a suppressed TAR 21 on smaller maps, however.

Raxus

op_ivy said:
Still in the right hands there is absolutely zero reason for a winning team to get a chopper gunner early game. I can understand if a team is losing and gets one of the higher end killstreaks but come on.

Raxus

PatzCU said:
M14 is still a very good gun. It may not drop enemies AS quick but it is better at close range.

The AUG in this game is frickin' insane. So if all else fails there is always that.

RubxQub

Why anyone would call an crate-drop in a heavily contested area is beyond me.

Go somewhere where you can sit safely for a 10 seconds and let 'er drop. It's not like you have to use it right away or lose it if you don't use it immediately or get another killstreak on top of it.

Raxus

lemon__fresh said:
Damn, I was hoping it was going to be at least more accurate.
Damn thing was never accurate in the first place. I remember last game shooting enemies in the chest and registering it as a headshot due to the burst shot.

Chrange

Banned
Raxus said:
Still in the right hands there is absolutely zero reason for a winning team to get a chopper gunner early game. I can understand if a team is losing and gets one of the higher end killstreaks but come on.

It takes what, three kills to get the care package when you're using Hardline? That can give you chopper gunner pretty early on...

First encounter can often lead to three or four kills quickly, especially if you have Marathon and can get somewhere unexpected.

shagg_187 said:
Modern Warfare 2's take of "US Invasion" reminded me alot of Resistance 2 (minus chimeras)... or atleast the good side of Resistance 2 with the atmosphere of Resistance: Fall of Man.

It was basically a homage to Red Dawn. "Wolverines!"

Rayme said:
It didn't ship with the bug. Update 1.01, which went live before launch day, introduced the bug (which unfortunately didn't show up in testing). It was caught and fixed right afterwards, but it took a few days longer for 1.02 (which included a fix) to punch through cert.

Just curious... why there was a day one patch in the first place that broke it?

Raxus

Honestly, I think the 4 kill air drops should drop ammo very often with a chance to score an occasional harrier or attack chopper. The Emergency airdrop should drop the higher end killstreaks at an equal rate.

Raxus said:
Damn thing was never accurate in the first place. I remember last game shooting enemies in the chest and registering it as a headshot due to the burst shot.

Fair enough. I remember pulling the trigger (once) and having my enemy fall down 99% of the time. Maybe ill give the FAMAS another try.

Or maybe there are just more experienced players out there than last time. I can't rely only on my CS (1.5) skills anymore. :(

RubxQub said:
Why anyone would call an crate-drop in a heavily contested area is beyond me.

Go somewhere where you can sit safely for a 10 seconds and let 'er drop. It's not like you have to use it right away or lose it if you don't use it immediately or get another killstreak on top of it.

You do that so the other team will try and go after it and then you pick them off one by one. :D

Hey, does it get much better than (mid game spoiler)
the stupid fucking Burger Town level
? I hate that stage so much, run over here and get this, now run over here and defend this, now go back over there! You needed something back there! Now run over here and get the other thing you left behind! Ugh, it reminds me of some of the shittier levels from COD2/4.

RubxQub

TheyCallMeMoney said:
You do that so the other team will try and go after it and then you pick them off one by one. :D
Ha!

I have killed fools trying to get into my box in the past, guess it makes sense to deliberately bait people with it if you're pretty confident in your ability to defend it :lol

Calen

.nimrod said:
just noticed there's patch 1.03 available on ps3, what's it for?
1.03 has the fix that makes our PSN presence updates (used for friend invites and status) less frequent so that we aren't clobbering all of PSN with them. Invites should work much better now.

We anticipated huge player counts on PS3.. but you guys blew even our most conservative estimates out of the water in terms of the number of people playing.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
lemon__fresh said:
Fair enough. I remember pulling the trigger (once) and having my enemy fall down 99% of the time. Maybe ill give the FAMAS another try.

Or maybe there are just more experienced players out there than last time. I can't rely only on my CS (1.5) skills anymore. :(
The FAMAS is amazing, although I prefer the SCAR. Unfortunately, the clip is too small on the SCAR and I constantly run out of ammo.

vehn

How come when I call in an attack heli or a pave low for support, those kills don't add to my killstreak? Is it only things I can control like the Ac-130 that adds to it?

Inferno313 said:
Dang.. I'm worse than I thought at MP.. I have about a .6 K/D ratio :(.

I swear it's bad luck, I wasn't this bad on COD4 and I think I keep getting on games with horribly balanced teams. I've won about 9 matches out of 40. Usually my entire team has bad K/Ds. :(

You need to rethink your game maybe. Yeah, Team Deathmatch, you're always going to lose if your entire team has a bad ratio. But if you're playing sabotage or hq or whatever, maybe -tada- you win.

My win rate in COD4 was like 80%, 'cause I played with the same team and we got good at non-deathmatch team game types. Half of us usually had negative kill ratios 'cause we were busy winning the game. I _loved_ seeing the scoreboard and hearing some guy braying about his 20 and 2 or whatever, except, oh yeah, McLovin423, your team got f'ing owned.:lol

Anyway, there ought to be a private stats tracking mode for some game types, namely HQ, where killstreaks and scoring works normally, but the only stats you get at the end of the game are who won and how it was done. 'Cause McLovin423, you really should be playing free-for-all, son.

RubxQub

vehn said:
How come when I call in an attack heli or a pave low for support, those kills don't add to my killstreak? Is it only things I can control like the Ac-130 that adds to it?
Almost positive they attribute to your killstreak.

Top Bottom