• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

.nimrod

Calen said:
1.03 has the fix that makes our PSN presence updates (used for friend invites and status) less frequent so that we aren't clobbering all of PSN with them. Invites should work much better now.

We anticipated huge player counts on PS3.. but you guys blew even our most conservative estimates out of the water in terms of the number of people playing.

thanks, good to hear something's happening.
but so far i'm having more trouble getting a party together than pre-1.03, always says "not longer valid" now...

PhatSaqs

Banned
vehn said:
How come when I call in an attack heli or a pave low for support, those kills don't add to my killstreak? Is it only things I can control like the Ac-130 that adds to it?
No killstreak chaining. Think about it....

Get killstreak. Call Airstirke. Run in and die. Airstrike racks up kills. Get killstreak....

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Calen said:
1.03 has the fix that makes our PSN presence updates (used for friend invites and status) less frequent so that we aren't clobbering all of PSN with them. Invites should work much better now.

We anticipated huge player counts on PS3.. but you guys blew even our most conservative estimates out of the water in terms of the number of people playing.

Wonder if this will fix the trophy sync issue people are still having?

vehn said:
How come when I call in an attack heli or a pave low for support, those kills don't add to my killstreak? Is it only things I can control like the Ac-130 that adds to it?
I think they did away with supports increasing your killstreak... maybe. I was sitting in that office tower, wondering why my Harrier, which between airstrike and hovering had racked up easily 12 kills, was not giving me further progress.

Maybe the days of one chopper racking up enough kills to give you another chopper are over.

snack

vehn said:

If you picked them up from airdrops, they won't count towards your killstreak. So basically, things from care packages don't count.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
PhatSaqs said:
No killstreak chaining. Think about it....

Get killstreak. Call Airstirke. Run in and die. Airstrike racks up kills. Get killstreak....
Isn't the video of the guy getting the tactical nuke because he calls in an attack chopper? Almost positive he didn't shoot 25 people in a row, but it was the sum of both his copter and him.

DMeisterJ

Banned
.nimrod said:
Whoa thanks, genius!

any real answers?

No one knows. I was playing with people and we did it but still had problems inviting each other, but it looks like it may have worked a bit because we didn't have to do the sign in, sign out nonsense.

Mutagenic said:
The FAMAS is amazing, although I prefer the SCAR. Unfortunately, the clip is too small on the SCAR an I constantly run out of ammo.
Yeah, is it a 20 round clip? Anyway, I used to think it was too small, but I've killed so many people with that 20th bullet that it's never bothered me. Bling it up with a bandoleer.

Az

Calen said:

You guys should've seen it with the PS3 price drop and preorders. Just make the first DLC free and I'll forgive. :p

REV 09

RubxQub said:
Most people don't have Stinger rockets unlocked just yet, or don't seem to equip them in their load-outs.
the default rockets track just fine...most people don't equip them though. scavenger helps too so you can just run over a dead guy and grab another rocket.

.nimrod

vehn said:

seems like only killstreaks where you have to aim yourself count towards the next killstreak, like the predator, chopper gunner, or ac130.

X26

Banned
DeuceMojo said:
You need to rethink your game maybe. Yeah, Team Deathmatch, you're always going to lose if your entire team has a bad ratio. But if you're playing sabotage or hq or whatever, maybe -tada- you win.

My win rate in COD4 was like 80%, 'cause I played with the same team and we got good at non-deathmatch team game types. Half of us usually had negative kill ratios 'cause we were busy winning the game. I _loved_ seeing the scoreboard and hearing some guy braying about his 20 and 2 or whatever, except, oh yeah, McLovin423, your team got f'ing owned.:lol

Anyway, there ought to be a private stats tracking mode for some game types, namely HQ, where killstreaks and scoring works normally, but the only stats you get at the end of the game are who won and how it was done. 'Cause McLovin423, you really should be playing free-for-all, son.

Really don't see why they didn't seperate each mode into its own leaderboard, would discourage (some) camping in objective modes and players would get less discouraged if they atleast have one mode where they don't do terrible at. With it all being pooled together in the one overall leaderboard that doesn't even track objectives...it's just dated.

If anyone does the prestige, or anyone you know does, let me know if your accolades reset or if they just keep building during your MP career.

X26 said:
accolades/titles/emblems you keep
Nifty. I'd like to get them all....well except the frowny-tongue ones.

X26

Banned
got2bekidding said:
If anyone does the prestige, or anyone you know does, let me know if your accolades reset or if they just keep building during your MP career.

accolades/titles/emblems you keep

Klyka

Banned
This been posted yet?

1258035395841.jpg

I lol'd.

got2bekidding said:

Also, what do you get for resetting? I'm a Gold Cross 55 in COD4 and I'm debating on doing it in this version. I know once I go once... I'll have to do all ten. :(

YagizY

Fuck I feel so weak, I just bought this game based mostly off hype on Amazon. It came to $47 for the game with a $20 GC. I hope this game doesn't suck. I really didn't care for the campaign in Modern Warfare 1 and the endless spawn shit. I hope I like the multiplayer. I normally really suck at FPS's that aren't Unreal Tournament.

Whoa. Just for a change, I decided to go all stealthy and quite. Then I get double the amount of kills I used to get! I suggest everyone to at least try being stealthy!

DMeisterJ said:
No one knows. I was playing with people and we did it but still had problems inviting each other, but it looks like it may have worked a bit because we didn't have to do the sign in, sign out nonsense.
I would imagine that for anyone's invites to start working, most users need to have installed 1.03 first. If the problem is that pre-1.03 versions are clobbering PSN, then even though you have upgraded to 1.03, there are still probably quite a few people clobbering PSN with 1.02.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I LOVE the multi in MW2, never much played MW1 multi...and thats because MW2 allows you to become a huge defensive player. The riot shield is GREAT in protecting objectives, the secondary rockets allow me to take out UAV planes, and the unlimited sprint/faster running lets me be anywhere on the battlefield where I need to be.

So awesome.

OldJadedGamer said:
Also, what do you get for resetting? I'm a Gold Cross 55 in COD4 and I'm debating on doing it in this version. I know once I go once... I'll have to do all ten. :(
I know for sure that you get title(s)? and emblem(s)? I also heard you get an extra perk slot, but unsure on the validity of that.

God damn, hardline to get you a UAV at 2, a drop at 3 (maybe an AC/heli) and then predator at 4 is just dirty. its like boom! You have(insert number between 5 and 17 here) kills!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Re: killstreaks -

If you earn a killstreak and then DIE, and then in your next life call the bonus, it won't add to a new streak. Because you don't have a streak (you died).

You need to stay alive.

You need to earn the bonus and call the bonus in the same life for it to contribute to your streak.

~~~

Unrelated: Two games IN A ROW in Ground War Domination, the opposing team ignored all Domination points, and just supported one of their teammates getting a 25 kill streak to end the game via nuke. -_-

Pyke Presco said:
God damn, hardline to get you a UAV at 2, a drop at 3 (maybe an AC/heli) and then predator at 4 is just dirty. its like boom! You have(insert number between 5 and 17 here) kills!
Awesome though, especially for peeps that live for short kill streaks, like, um, me.

cameltoe

GDJustin said:
Re: killstreaks -

If you earn a killstreak and then DIE, and then in your next life call the bonus, it won't add to a new streak. Because you don't have a streak (you died).

You need to stay alive.

You need to earn the bonus and call the bonus in the same life for it to contribute to your streak.

~~~

Unrelated: Two games IN A ROW in Ground War Domination, the opposing team ignored all Domination points, and just supported one of their teammates getting a 25 kill streak to end the game via nuke. -_-

you guys knew this was happening and couldnt prevent it? No amount of support would stop me from getting that son of a bitch!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
cameltoe said:
you guys knew this was happening and couldnt prevent it? No amount of support would stop me from getting that son of a bitch!

No, we weren't able to prevent it.

- Their entire team was working towards this goal, whereas only half our team seemed to understand what was happening. The others were still trying to capture the points.
- It's GROUND WAR and DOMINATION. ie the kills flow like water. All he really had to do was getting a chopper gunner and at that point 25 was an inevitability.

~~~

I'm on record as being a nuke DEFENDER in this topic. I think it's a badass and completely reasonable game-ending perk. The problem is that it wins the game regardless of score, and regardless of game mode. The nuke is turning big team objective gametypes into deathmatch.

A simple compromise would be to have the nuke end the game, but the team with the higher score is declared the winner. 95% of the time the nuking team WOULD have the higher score. But it would prevent situations like the other team ignoring Domination points and playing a game mode in a way not intended by IW.

JaseMath

Just finished the SP campaign. Some cool parts, but a bit of a disappointment overall. It was like an FPS version of a really bad Michael Bay movie. :\

Mutagenic said:
The FAMAS is amazing, although I prefer the SCAR. Unfortunately, the clip is too small on the SCAR and I constantly run out of ammo.

Try the Scavenger perk. Once it goes Pro the Scar-H starts with 120 ammo and you refill fully whenever you run over an enemy body. I hardly ever run out of ammo now.

Biff

h4k said:
If you picked them up from airdrops, they won't count towards your killstreak. So basically, things from care packages don't count.
Quoting this for those who may have missed it.

Care packages killstreaks do NOT add to your KS count.
Your support killstreaks do add to your KS count.

Example:
4 kills, get care package. It gives you an AC130 - you then score 15 kills. Your killstreak still stands at 4 kills, not 19.

You then proceed to get 3 more kills on your own, bringing you to 7 for an attack chopper. Unleash your attack chopper, and every kill it scores from then counts towards your current 7 killstreak. If your chopper scores 18 kills, your KS now stands at 25 and you can use a Nuke.

KAOz

Short bus special
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Wonder if this will fix the trophy sync issue people are still having?

No it won't. Because that's not due to the game or patches at all.

I've had that trouble all week, so it's the PSN-servers.

Grecco

Klyka said:
This been posted yet?

1258035395841.jpg

I lol'd.

Funniest thing i saw this morning. Its been making the rounds on twitter too. :lol :lol :lol Theres probably a bunch of people from the Boycott thread here on gaf who ended up buying it too.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Blindfutur3 said:
Try the Scavenger perk. Once it goes Pro the Scar-H starts with 120 ammo and you refill fully whenever you run over an enemy body. I hardly ever run out of ammo now.
Right, good advice. What perk tier is it though? I need to know what I'll have to give up.

GDJustin said:
A simple compromise would be to have the nuke end the game, but the team with the higher score is declared the winner. 95% of the time the nuking team WOULD have the higher score. But it would prevent situations like the other team ignoring Domination points and playing a game mode in a way not intended by IW.

Fuck, I'd thought this was actually how it worked. That's bullshit that it doesn't.

UFRA

DMeisterJ said:
I can think of 4.7 million reasons why this is hilarious.

What's so funny? You don't think a loss of 800 some customers is important to IW?

It's not like the game is selling millions and millions....

Oh wait... :lol

Druz

Klyka said:
This been posted yet?

I lol'd.

19 out of 36 on that one page was playing MW2. The list isn't being sorted correctly to make it appear theres more than there is. Still, it's pretty sad.

UFRA said:
What's so funny? You don't think a loss of 800 some customers is important to IW?

It's not like the game is selling millions and millions....

Oh wait... :lol

Oh wate... it was a PC boycott and you're a moron?

imtehman

Banned
KittyKittyBangBang said:
Absolutely agree, this is the 6th game in this series, and they have all followed the same basic formula, why would they change now?

ironically, if IW were to change the formula, how many of these same people complaining about them not changing it would be the very ones complaining about them changing it?

Someone posted in the "MW2 noob-friendly?" thread that this is about as casual as games get <?>, but there's some truth to it. When it comes down to it, I'm getting into grinding through the levels (now 750 or 850 or whatever) to get the full prestige experience. To me, that's hardcore, putting in months and months worth of playing time to display a freaking emblem. But if that's "casual," OK cool.

Top Bottom