• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Why For?

Banned
Beat this on Veteran last night.

GREAT fucking ending. Loved the final 'boss'. Wasn't difficult or anything, but it was just fucking great.

So cinematic, so intense.

LOVED it!!!

Starting an easy play through now to get all the intel. 7/45 so far. Will try and finish off tonight.

Short but sweet SP.

DeuceMojo said:
Someone posted in the "MW2 noob-friendly?" thread that this is about as casual as games get <?>, but there's some truth to it. When it comes down to it, I'm getting into grinding through the levels (now 750 or 850 or whatever) to get the full prestige experience. To me, that's hardcore, putting in months and months worth of playing time to display a freaking emblem. But if that's "casual," OK cool.

That's the best thing about this game IMO. Is that it's casual enough for new players, and hardcore enough if you really wanted to invest the time into it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Wow, I'm absolutely slaying the competition with my riot shield. Get about eight to ten kills with that shield on Headquarters. Plus it's great to act as a decoy for machine gun turrets as someone else takes them out.

Of course, some pro players shoot my feet and kill me before I can crouch. Phooey.

kitch9

Banned
First act was shit, second OK, Third is very good.

Note to Infinity Ward, next time more high paced infiltration SAS shit, its what you are good at. Storming the Tanker and Oil Rig were the best scenes in MW and MW2.

No more fucking favelas with twats everywhere and a small alleys, that was a load of shite.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Why no Co-Op campaign IW? It's not like there was much required from a design standpoint that needed to be done. The more I play, the more I'm annoyed by that omission.

gibration

Zzoram said:
Spec Ops is invite only? Firefight all over again?
The only reason I hated that firefight had no matchmaking was because it didn't allow you to even play by yourself so you were forced to invite people to play it. Spec Ops allows you to play most of the missions by yourself so personally I wouldn't say firefight all over again but yea it does suck that there's no matchmaking.

snack

Anyone here have the Turtle Beach Ear Force P21 Gaming for PS3? I'm thinking about getting it, but want some GAF feedback first.

Jhoan

I started playing the SP Campaign last night. So far I beat the
The chase that takes place in Brazil. It was pretty awesome. Soap looks like and talks like a bad ass, seriously. And I have a weird feeling that Ghost sounds a lot like Captain Price.
I was pretty shocked by the
controversial Airport level. In fact I kept saying "That's f*cked up" the whole time as I was playing through it. I was even amazed by the closed eyes; that's a nice bit of detail. I didn't kill any civilians and SWAT Team cops; I let the NPCs do the work, so I pretty much went the whole level without firing a single bullet and watched the bodies pile up. I couldn't do it, it was that messed up and I have no problem taking down cops in GTA. Did anybody shoot the civilians and the cops?
I gotta give huge props to Infinity Ward for being bold. Seriously, you guys have my utmost respect for going through with it. It was a powerful message. Hell I was surprised there wasn't an achievement for that level, let alone 2. Any way, great game so far. I'll play some more this weekend, and if anyone wants to play Spec Ops or MP then check the Online thread and add me.

OK, finished the campaign last night. Story makes very little sense to me.

Can somebody explain what
Shepherd's angle was? Would't he have been a hero purely from the fact that his team (Task Force 141) had recovered the evidence that the airport massacre was Makarov's op all along, and not a US attack? How does killing task force 141 help him? Seems like if he's out to destroy evidence than the world would still think the US decided to kill a shitload of civilians. Also, what the hell is an ACS unit? I now it allowed the russians to spoof the US early warning systems to mount a major invasion, but does an ACS unit actually exist in any way? If its so damn important why did we only send two guys to retrieve it? And why didn't the US nuke Russia in response to the invasion? So much makes so little sense.

Seems like Infinity Ward appreciates the Halo 3 method of storytelling.

kitch9 said:

Note to Infinity Ward, next time more high paced infiltration SAS shit, its what you are good at. Storming the Tanker and Oil Rig were the best scenes in MW and MW2.

No more fucking favelas with twats everywhere and a small alleys, that was a load of shite.

Agree, the alley way levels were shocking

UPS just dropped off my MadCatz throat communicator microphone. None of my friends are playing right now (I have the day off) but I did a voice message and played it back. Did a few tests of common things I scream like "for fuck sakes" and "i just spawned!!" and was ok. The neck part is really tight but I have a 17 inch football players neck so it may not be tight on others.

Seems "ok" but not sure yet till I play for a while with it. I'll keep it for today and send it back tomorrow to Amazon for a return if i don't like it. Nice not having the other mic thing over my head. Feels more free but not totally sold on it for 30 bucks... yet.

Anyone else get this?

MaxSteel

that first shotgun you unlock - the auto one - AA11 or something - is AMAZING

love

this

fucking

gun

the most fun i've had using a gun in a game since don't know when

Jipan said:
The chase that takes place in Brazil. It was pretty awesome. Soap looks like and talks like a bad ass, seriously. And I have a weird feeling that Ghost sounds a lot like Captain Price.
controversial Airport level. In fact I kept saying "That's f*cked up" the whole time as I was playing through it. I was even amazed by the closed eyes; that's a nice bit of detail. I didn't kill any civilians and SWAT Team cops; I let the NPCs do the work, so I pretty much went the whole level without firing a single bullet and watched the bodies pile up. I couldn't do it, it was that messed up and I have no problem taking down cops in GTA. Did anybody shoot the civilians and the cops?
I gotta give huge props to Infinity Ward for being bold. Seriously, you guys have my utmost respect for going through with it. It was a powerful message. Hell I was surprised there wasn't an achievement for that level, let alone 2. Any way, great game so far. I'll play some more this weekend, and if anyone wants to play Spec Ops or MP then check the Online thread and add me.

My feelings exactly to a T! Really... I couldn't bring myself to do it. I just couldn't.

DarkJC

CrayzeeCarl said:
So, let me get this straight... A killstreak of 25 grants you a nuke that instantly ends the game? WTF is that shit?! -__-

A) you have to unlock the nuke
B) you have to use up one of your kill streak slots with it
C) it's not exactly easy to get a 25 kill streak

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Why is the AK47 so far down the unlock tree? Is it really that good? I didn't think they held a candle to the more professional guns...

Barrett2

chubigans said:
Wow, I'm absolutely slaying the competition with my riot shield. Get about eight to ten kills with that shield on Headquarters. Plus it's great to act as a decoy for machine gun turrets as someone else takes them out.

Of course, some pro players shoot my feet and kill me before I can crouch. Phooey.

Please tell me you can use the riot shield simultaneously with throwing knives...

DarkJC

chubigans said:
Why is the AK47 so far down the unlock tree? Is it really that good? I didn't think they held a candle to the more professional guns...

Yeah I was surprised to see it required level 70...I don't think it was that high in MW1 and I know when I unlocked it I still never used it =/

Tadale

MaxSteel said:
that first shotgun you unlock - the auto one - AA11 or something - is AMAZING

love

this

fucking

gun

the most fun i've had using a gun in a game since don't know when

Check out videos of the real life version on Youtube.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Jipan said:

I shot some civilians at the beginning and then just let rip when the cops turned up

MaxSteel

Tadale said:
Check out videos of the real life version on Youtube.

i had seen a documentary on the gun a while back and when i heard they were putting in MW2, i was pumped. and it most definitely did not disappoint.

DarkJC said:
Yeah I was surprised to see it required level 70...I don't think it was that high in MW1 and I know when I unlocked it I still never used it =/
Of course they did the same thing with the MP44 in COD4, and who would want to use that at level 55, when you have every other gun available to you?

Yeah, the AK sucked in COD4, I think the only reason people used it is to show you they had boosted through all the assault rifles earned the gold version.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
lawblob said:
Please tell me you can use the riot shield simultaneously with throwing knives...
You can indeed! I prefer the blast shield plus riot shield combo...I'm the freaking Terminator on the battlefield. :D

DarkJC said:
It has to be some kind of joke or something.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Leunam said:
No way. He sounds
like Gaz

I thought so too.
I thought it was just their way of bringing him back but then they killed him again :lol

cameltoe

h4k said:
Anyone here have the Turtle Beach Ear Force P21 Gaming for PS3? I'm thinking about getting it, but want some GAF feedback first.

get the tritton 720's can be used with the 360, ps3 and PC....I have them and they sound great. I had the tritton pros and ax360's...these sound much better. Had the TB x3's and they were not so good.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
gibration said:
The only reason I hated that firefight had no matchmaking was because it didn't allow you to even play by yourself so you were forced to invite people to play it. Spec Ops allows you to play most of the missions by yourself so personally I wouldn't say firefight all over again but yea it does suck that there's no matchmaking.

I was able to play firefight solo...

Wizman23

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
Why no Co-Op campaign IW? It's not like there was much required from a design standpoint that needed to be done. The more I play, the more I'm annoyed by that omission.

THIS! I'm on the 2nd mission of Act 2 and every single chapter so far would have been better off with co-op. IW is full of shit when they say the single player experience is only meant for 1 person. I wouldn't expect it in MW3 either. They have 4.7 million reasons why they have no reason to care what us gamers want.

Crisco

Banned
kitch9 said:

Agreed, those and the outdoor battles near DC were the best parts of the game. All the alley way crawls were shit. Overall, it's a fine single player campaign, just short and dated, like something I could played in 2005. It is actually quite pretty on the PC, way better than all the videos from the console versions that looked terrible.

Leunam

NinjaFridge said:
I thought so too.
I thought it was just their way of bringing him back but then they killed him again :lol

I figured
that's why his name is Ghost to begin with, because it was indeed him.

Violater

gibration said:
when did 1.03 go up?

Calen said:
1.03 has the fix that makes our PSN presence updates (used for friend invites and status) less frequent so that we aren't clobbering all of PSN with them. Invites should work much better now.

We anticipated huge player counts on PS3.. but you guys blew even our most conservative estimates out of the water in terms of the number of people playing.

And it sucks to hear its still not working.
The old "if it aint broke..." adage comes to mind

careksims

So finished the campaign. I give like a 6-7/10. There was some nice moments, but wasn't that awed by the huge set pieces. Nothing like the sniper mission in CoD4. A lot of cheap deaths, no cover mechanics. The pacing was off. It seemed to get very good and then it ends :/ I notice that in a lot of FPS games.

Favelas really is SHIT. Horrible design. So they all get to shoot one man and you versus all of them with that strawberry jam on your screen. Oh I hated that jam.

Airport scene was disturbing actually. It gives off the idea that it's so easy to walk into one and just shoot.

I hate how a lot of the chars die. I kept rolling my eyes every time there was some betrayal or such. Also it's really all about motherfuckin' Price and Soap. :) The DC missions and the Price missions are the fave parts. The last boss battle I was like "DIE MOTHERFUCKER" when I threw that knife. That was clevel.

nilbog21

Banned
Hey guys im really on the fence about buying this on steam right now. How is the online? I'm not a nub so I will see automatically if the game really suffers from lack of dedicated servers.

LowParry

nilbog21 said:
Hey guys im really on the fence about buying this on steam right now. How is the online? I'm not a nub so I will see automatically if the game really suffers from lack of dedicated servers.

The easier answer is: Buy the version that you have the most friends on playing.

Top Bottom