• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Accident

Wow, how many are playing MW2 right now?

majornelson: We just hit a new #XboxLIVE record: Over TWO MILLION people connected to the service at once.

So what are the perk setups and weapon setups that people are finding effective? As I play through and switch around and unlock stuff, I would like to try some different setups.

Animator

Accident said:

majornelson: We just hit a new #XboxLIVE record: Over TWO MILLION people connected to the service at once.

I think its safe to assume everybody who bought the game is playing it.

There were shitloads of people on PSN yesterday as well.

EekTheKat

Kind of wished the other two guys with
Sgt Foley and Dunn were named Oveur and Unger
, just for the obscure reference/hilarity value.

Also it took me a while to realize that it was really
Lance Henrikson
voicing
Shepard
Maybe it's because he sounded a little different than I remembered, and that the in game model reminds me of
Sam Elliott
in an odd way.

venom2124

I beat the game a couple days ago and really have been thinking over my opinion of it. Some of the situations and battles are amazing, but the game lacks the sensible plot of the first. Major spoilers ahead:

As others have mentioned, Shepard's actions make no sense. He wanted to write the history of the war and be seen as a hero? Why kill Roach and Ghost? Seems to me he could have easily let them live as they were loyal to the mission and retrieved the data for him. He was also the general and commanding officer of the mission, so he would definitely get the credit for victory. Just a weak motive. Another thing I found strange was Ghost having the same voice actor as Gaz. I was expecting his mask to come off at some point and show some serious damage from MW1. Guess the player is supposed to wonder if that actually is Gaz.

I can't find a full voice over cast list for this game. Kevin McKidd is awesome as Soap, and I'm pretty sure Lance Henriksen is Shepard. But who does Barry Pepper play? I don't remember hearing him ever.

Overall, I did love the sp. It just had some strange plot turns that made it a bit weaker than MW1's campaign. It's easily my GOTY based on the multiplayer alone. Spec Ops is a blast too.

Stoney Mason said:
So what are the perk setups and weapon setups that people are finding effective? As I play through and switch around and unlock stuff, I would like to try some different setups.

Granted I have not gone very far in online (level 17) but I find Marathon (and possibly Lightweight) invaluable in Sabotage. Fun to be able to sprint non-stop, forever. This is sometimes very effective paired up with Commando, which I love. I earned Super Commando, but haven't used it yet.

Scrambler is becoming my favorite perk to use in Headquarters, as people rush blindly into my room (which I hope looks like a blank gray box on their radar) and get cut down by me. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I just realized that I could probably use Super Commando to jump off some massive structures and knife the people I land on. Fun.

BradleyUK

Online really frustrating for me because:

Go look for some victims and get shoot in the back

Respawn and then get shot in the back!

Respawn and it seems like I can't found anyone, oh wait im dead again shot in the back of course

lol

LowParry

Stoney Mason said:

I've been rolling with the SCAR-H with Scavenger Pro, Cold Blooded, and Ninja. I attach the heart beat sensor but I use this build for more of the open maps (Afgan for example).

For closed areas I go with the TAR-21 with Scavenger Pro, Hardline Pro, and Scrambler Pro. Heart beat sensor attachment.

I just got claymores so I've been planting them like mad and getting the cheap kills going on. I'm currently Ranked 31 so my weapons will probably change later on. I was going with the P90 with closed areas but I just find the weapon lacking in terms of the quick kill. I can do much better with the TAR-21. I may roll later with the Bling perk with having two attachments. I liked that early on.

Stoney Mason said:

Favorite so far is the Vector with Rapid fire as primary, AA-12 shotgun as secondary, Semtex, 2x flash, sleight of hand pro, stopping power, steady aim and pain killer.

I just got the stinger and have the skies on lockdown, especially if I have scavenger attached. With those two, killstreaks are rarely a problem.

Stoney Mason said:

My favorite so far is

-Silenced Vector (I think that's what it's called, SMG)
-Cold Blooded
-Scavenger
-Steady aim (or Ninja when I finally get it pro)
-Stinger
-Throwing Knives.

I'm completely invisible to radar and have almost unlimited rockets and throwing knives. It's only good for close range though, but it's great for flanking, especially the throwing knives. The rockets are there to destroy killstreaks before they do any damage.

Animator

DeuceMojo said:
Granted I have not gone very far in online (level 17) but I find Marathon (and possibly Lightweight) invaluable in Sabotage. Fun to be able to sprint non-stop, forever. This is sometimes very effective paired up with Commando, which I love. I earned Super Commando, but haven't used it yet.

Scrambler is becoming my favorite perk to use in Headquarters, as people rush blindly into my room (which I hope looks like a blank gray box on their radar) and get cut down by me. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I am very curious about the range of scrambler myself. I used it but didnt notice a difference in enemy behaviour. if anything it feels like it alerts the enemy to your presence.

cameltoe

DeuceMojo said:

scrambler is lame.....it fades to complete static as I get closer to the dude, so I know he is like right outside(or inside)....I blast thru walls killing scrambler clowns all day!

RavenFox

Banned
kitch9 said:
First act was shit, second OK, Third is very good.

Note to Infinity Ward, next time more high paced infiltration SAS shit, its what you are good at. Storming the Tanker and Oil Rig were the best scenes in MW and MW2.

No more fucking favelas with twats everywhere and a small alleys, that was a load of shite.
The alley ways were the worst.

methos75

Banned
venom2124 said:
I beat the game a couple days ago and really have been thinking over my opinion of it. Some of the situations and battles are amazing, but the game lacks the sensible plot of the first. Major spoilers ahead:

As others have mentioned, Shepard's actions make no sense. He wanted to write the history of the war and be seen as a hero? Why kill Roach and Ghost? Seems to me he could have easily let them live as they were loyal to the mission and retrieved the data for him. He was also the general and commanding officer of the mission, so he would definitely get the credit for victory. Just a weak motive. Another thing I found strange was Ghost having the same voice actor as Gaz. I was expecting his mask to come off at some point and show some serious damage from MW1. Guess the player is supposed to wonder if that actually is Gaz.

I can't find a full voice over cast list for this game. Kevin McKidd is awesome as Soap, and I'm pretty sure Lance Henriksen is Shepard. But who does Barry Pepper play? I don't remember hearing him ever.

Overall, I did love the sp. It just had some strange plot turns that made it a bit weaker than MW1's campaign. It's easily my GOTY based on the multiplayer alone. Spec Ops is a blast too.

He wasn't really trying to be an Hero, he pushed the whole incident and lead the Russians into attacking the US when he placed Allen into their mist. I believe he knew that allen would be compromised and wanted him too, too push an Russian response. He mentions at the end that he lost 30,000 and that now they would flock to the Military and too be Patriots, he pretty much drummed up an War to push recruitment in essence and the others were too close and may of figured it out, hence his actions.

So my friend was very angry that the servers on PSN were down yesterday, and now he is wondering if they're back online yet. Can anyone confirm that they are back online?

LowParry

cameltoe said:
scrambler is lame.....it fades to complete static as I get closer to the dude, so I know he is like right outside(or inside)....I blast thru walls killing scrambler clowns all day!

It's most effective though once you get it up to pro. It delays claymores so you won't get jacked up. :D

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone else find Terminal really laggy?

Even on a really good connection I've played that map about 10 times now and every game is a mess.

The same players can play every other map without problems but as soon as Terminal hits it all goes down hill.

snack

D4Danger said:
Does anyone else find Terminal really laggy?

Even on a really good connection I've played that map about 10 times now and every game is a mess.

The same players can play every other map without problems but as soon as Terminal hits it all goes down hill.

Nope, no problems here. What version are you referring to?

MaxSteel

am i the only one who doesn't have a problem with the spawning? i play mercenary team deathmatch and i almost never get shot in the back due to spawning. just doesn't happen.

is it just me??

PatzCU said:
The FAMAS just does not seem to be cutting it in multiplayer. Finally got the red dot for it, but I'm still getting owned by people running around with full-auto rifles. I'm guessing I would need to be headshotting with the FAMAS.
Perhaps that's what I'm doing because I'm getting a ton of one burst kills using stopping power. Have a 2.00 k'd ratio with the thing.:D

LowParry

nilbog21 said:
wat? im asking if the online experience will be laggy and shitty on PC

Oh. :lol

I wouldn't think not since it uses the sort of same thing that XBL is and I've had pretty much none laggy games all around. Good times man!

Accident

Stoney Mason said:

I'm using the Famas silenced with a thermal scope as my sniper in hardcore games and i love it. With Ninja and Coldblooded

cameltoe

CcrooK said:
It's most effective though once you get it up to pro. It delays claymores so you won't get jacked up. :D

not worried so much about those anymore. You only get one now and you lose your nade so people may not use them as much....plus there are so many ways to enter a room....ill take my chances.

LowParry

MaxSteel said:
am i the only one who doesn't have a problem with the spawning? i play mercenary team deathmatch and i almost never get shot in the back due to spawning. just doesn't happen.

is it just me??

Spawning seems fine. Although you'll have these few moments where you'll get spawned next to enemies right on the fly and you die pretty fast. A few other instances is I'm watching a small ally and killing whatever comes by and I'll have enemies spawn behind me. It's really not that bad at all. I'm just glad to see grenade spams less. I don't think I've ever died to one my whole MP time.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
h4k said:
Nope, no problems here. What version are you referring to?

360. The framerate seems ok but it stutters quite a bit and people are getting kicked.

I don't know what it is. I just seems to be that one map that causes problems.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
CcrooK said:
Oh. :lol

I wouldn't think not since it uses the sort of same thing that XBL is and I've had pretty much none laggy games all around. Good times man!
Actually, lag is probably lower on average on XBL because _way_ more people bought it for the platform, so chances that matchmaking ends up close to your location are much higher.

methos75 said:
He wasn't really trying to be an Hero, he pushed the whole incident and lead the Russians into attacking the US when he placed Allen into their mist. I believe he knew that allen would be compromised and wanted him too, too push an Russian response. He mentions at the end that he lost 30,000 and that now they would flock to the Military and too be Patriots, he pretty much drummed up an War to push recruitment in essence and the others were too close and may of figured it out, hence his actions.

That's still a lame motive.
Killing many, many people and starting a war, just so recruitment would go up? That doesn't make sense at all. Why would he be so invested in having a larger military then cause events that killed a large portion of it?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Accident said:

holy shit.

I'm seeing 1,002,296 in total players online right now for MW2 360

Dyno

venom2124 said:

What I got from the story and that scene is as follows.

This is something of a Osama Bin Laden situation. At the beginning of the game they tell you that Makarov has no national loyalty (will kill anyone) and is a pure mercenary. Markarov is Sheppard's man from the start. The general fed him a U.S. operative to leave at the airport and thus start the invasion. That gives him the 'blank cheque' to go after Makarov. But Makarov would never be found by Sheppard (a la Osama) and instead Makarov could wage war where ever he pleased (a la Iraq.) Price and Soap attempt to ruin his plans by actually finding something that will lead them to Makarov and that's when he has to step in. He gets the data and kills its liberators so that Makarov's location will remain eternally safe. Price however always saw Sheppard for what he was and tracks his shadow operation down. The rest as they say is history but it was a really sweet way to introduce the throwing knife.

Accident said:
I'm using the Famas silenced with a thermal scope as my sniper in hardcore games and i love it. With Ninja and Coldblooded

This is exactly the kind of stuff COD4 was screaming for. Weapons that work well with silencers attached. Excellent stealth perks. Wow. Too bad I can't get paid for playing MW, 'cause I'd put in 80 hour weeks. :D

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Wollan for some reason has only played 9 minutes of MW2's online so I can use him as a base on the leaderboards of how much the PS3 has sold so far. 1,500,000+ and counting. :eek:

Of course that counts rentals too, but still, whoa.

Jhoan

Now that I think about about
Ghost does sound like Gaz rather than Captain Price.
I haven't been playing the game at hearable level, since I was played from 12am-4am and on top of that, I had to lower down the volume pretty low so I wouldn't wake up my brothers. And about the controversial level,
I know the CIA's done a ton of messed up things, and possibly the agent that you played as in the level did a lot of messed up things in his past. Hell I know that real CIA agents do things like this, but damn, seriously, that was really sad. He might have killed other innocent people before, but as the one holding the controller and "impersonating" this man, I and some of you others, followed our morals and chose not to kill anyone. That's pretty strong. That level has a lot of meaning and layers; seriously it's possibly one of the few that really made me think about what would I do in a real situation. Ironically, I thought it was good that he got killed but in retrospect, its messed that he got killed for doing what "he" or in this case, us the player, for doing what we think thought was right. I know there's only one outcome to the stage, but what were to happen if you killed everyone? I think, logically speaking, that if there was an alternate branch/outcome to this stage it would be that he escapes with the Markarov and co. but then again, that would create an alternate story.
It reminds of this article that I think I read on the 1up.com editor blogs about how the way we play reflects upon who we are.

DMeisterJ

Banned
chubigans said:
Wollan for some reason has only played 9 minutes of MW2's online so I can use him as a base on the leaderboards of how much the PS3 has sold so far. 1,500,000+ and counting. :eek:

I have a friend that has 100 exp and is ranked 1.52 million as of an hour ago.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
EekTheKat said:
Kind of wished the other two guys with
Sgt Foley and Dunn were named Oveur and Unger
, just for the obscure reference/hilarity value.

Also it took me a while to realize that it was really
Lance Henrikson
voicing
Shepard
Maybe it's because he sounded a little different than I remembered, and that the in game model reminds me of
Sam Elliott
in an odd way.
Bishop is in this game? They should have hired Bill Paxton to do the "Game Over!" sequence.

Problem with the PC verison single player. "Endgame" mission keeps crashing the game right after
the helicopter gets blown up and you fall
it crashes on the load. Anyone else have this problem? I didn't have any issues otherwise, yet three times I played that mission (which isn't fun, btw) and it crashes.

wmat said:
or not

That review is just another jaded review from an angsty pc-elitist who wants to sling shit because IW wanted to make the multiplayer experience on pc unified and controlled.

There is a reason CoD4 was such a fucking hit on consoles and was played by so many for so long - it's matchmaking and unified online system works. Has anyone actually tried playing CoD4 or WaW on pc? It's a fucking garbled mess filled with hackers and shitty 32 player games in maps that were made for 12-18 players at the most. Uninstall the game? Say goodbye to everything you unlocked.

I'm so tired of hearing the QQ about the PC version. It's phenomenal. Buy it. It's the most fun I've had playing an online PC fps since pre-Steam/1.6 Counter-Strike.

chubigans said:

That doesn't include all the people that haven't gone online with it. Can probably double that number.

MrPliskin

Banned
chubigans said:

Rentals yes, but there are also multiple PSN accounts as well per console.

You can't really use the leaderboards as a solid guide for sales, but I think it's safe to assume that MW2 will reach 1 million sales it's first month of availability.

snack

D4Danger said:
360. The framerate seems ok but it stutters quite a bit and people are getting kicked.

I don't know what it is. I just seems to be that one map that causes problems.

Hmm... I was going to say latency issues of the host but as you said, you've played that map about 10 times now and it happens every time so chances are it's not the host's fault. I have it on the PS3 so I can't really say why it's happening on the 360. Does it happen when there's a lot of action on the screen?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
h4k said:
Hmm... I was going to say latency issues of the host but as you said, you've played that map about 10 times now and it happens every time so chances are it's not the host's fault. I have it on the PS3 so I can't really say why it's happening on the 360. Does it happen when there's a lot of action on the screen?

Not really. It just seems to stutter more so than any other map.

I thought maybe it was a performance issue because it's quite a large map with a big indoor and outdoor area but maybe it is the connection. I could just be unlucky.

scitek

Just started playing it and I just wanted to say that I think every game from here on out needs to let you set your screen parameters and brightness before the game. I love that.

Top Bottom