• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Nafai1123

Banned
Fucking disconnects suck. Tried playing for about an hour earlier today and spent more time trying to find games than actually playing (ps3 version) and when I did finally get into a game half the time it wound up in a disconnect. Also, I know this is the consequence of any p2p matchmaking system, but host migration sucks ass, particularly during capture point games where it completely fucks up the territorial battle that was going on previously.

Fix this shit IW!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
weekendCONFIRMED said:
or not

That review is just another jaded review from an angsty pc-elitist who wants to sling shit because IW wanted to make the multiplayer experience on pc unified and controlled.

There is a reason CoD4 was such a fucking hit on consoles and was played by so many for so long - it's matchmaking and unified online system works. Has anyone actually tried playing CoD4 or WaW on pc? It's a fucking garbled mess filled with hackers and shitty 32 player games in maps that were made for 12-18 players at the most. Uninstall the game? Say goodbye to everything you unlocked.

I'm so tired of hearing the QQ about the PC version. It's phenomenal. Buy it. It's the most fun I've had playing an online PC fps since pre-Steam/1.6 Counter-Strike.
It's a review that's specifically talking about the PC version. That's what was asked for. Can you find another review that's as specific as this one?

And there are no wrong statements in the thing.

Maybe you don't agree with the conclusion, but how does that matter? You're supposed to make up your own mind anyway.

You're just freakin' out, man.. Chill. Good for you if you enjoy the game. Seriously.

Barrett2

Stoney Mason said:
So what are the perk setups and weapon setups that people are finding effective? As I play through and switch around and unlock stuff, I would like to try some different setups.

Im' finding so far that I just keep sticking to my meat & potatoes stuff from the first game. Stopping power, faster running, etc.

Also, when did you get unbanned? How long were you gone?

theluma

weekendCONFIRMED said:
or not

That review is just another jaded review from an angsty pc-elitist who wants to sling shit because IW wanted to make the multiplayer experience on pc unified and controlled.

There is a reason CoD4 was such a fucking hit on consoles and was played by so many for so long - it's matchmaking and unified online system works. Has anyone actually tried playing CoD4 or WaW on pc? It's a fucking garbled mess filled with hackers and shitty 32 player games in maps that were made for 12-18 players at the most. Uninstall the game? Say goodbye to everything you unlocked.

I'm so tired of hearing the QQ about the PC version. It's phenomenal. Buy it. It's the most fun I've had playing an online PC fps since pre-Steam/1.6 Counter-Strike.

With that kind of attitude I'm surprised you don't own the console version. Why not buy it on console if it's so great?

You must have bought it on PC for a reason, dedicated servers? Obviously not... And don't give me better graphics crap, because that isn't a good enough reason in this case as far as I'm concerned.

Crisco

Banned

I never played CoD4 of WaW on the PC, but if what you're saying it's true, that's on IW. Suggesting that somehow lack of matchmaking and reliance on dedicated servers hurts the longevity of multiplayer shooters on the PC is ludicrous at best.

The fact that there are 10+ year old PC games that still have thriving communities is a testament to that. It is and has always been the best way of playing a game online, and just because IW doesn't know how to implement properly doesn't change that.

theluma said:
With that kind of attitude I'm surprised you don't own the console version. Why not buy it on console if it's so great?

You must have bought it on PC for a reason, dedicated servers? Obviously not... And don't give me better graphics crap, because that isn't a good enough reason in this case as far as I'm concerned.

Actually it is, the game is GORGEOUS on the PC. 1920x1200 with full AA/AF puts the PC version head and shoulders above the console versions. Better visual, better framerates, and better controls. It's not close. Makes it even more of a shame that they botched the multiplayer features so badly.

mr_nothin

Banned
theluma said:

I think you've forgotten what a PC is

Almost beat the game, and good lord this game has way way WAY too many weapons. Specifically Assualt rifles. There's like 3-5 variations of the same goddamn gun. It's freaking ridiculous. But even still Snowmobile was fucking badass. Wish it were a little longer.

Ten-Song

Y2Kev said:
The range on the predator missiles is too big.

I don't really have much problem with them. I think I've only been killed by them a few times, and it seems I can rarely get more than a single kill with them myself, unless the enemy team is dumb and bunching together out in the open.

imtehman

Banned
theluma said:

not a good enough reason? slap yourself.

theluma

mr_nothin said:
I think you've forgotten what a PC is

And this reply is helpful how?

EDIT: Oh wait, sorry guys, I forgot graphics were so incredibly important...excuse me -__-

Thought people bought games on the PC for more customization and better multiplayer, apparently not.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Stoney Mason said:
So what are the perk setups and weapon setups that people are finding effective? As I play through and switch around and unlock stuff, I would like to try some different setups.

I've been using Bling to get a silencer AND a red dot site, the last few nights. Digging it. But you still have to deal with the silencer's drop in accuracy, so I think I might try something else tonight. FYI Bling is also a good way to finish off a gun's grenade challenge. Keep your red dot, and get to nab a few nade kills.

DeuceMojo said:
Yeah, the AK sucked in COD4, I think the only reason people used it is to show you they had boosted through all the assault rifles earned the gold version.

I learned that through my 10 prestige levels that a silenced AK-47 in Hardcore mode would drop people super fast and it was my favorite hardcore gun second to the G3.

Kibbles

I have no batteries for my controller, and my 3rd recharge thing doesn't work (these things are so cheap, wtf?) shiiiitttttttt. I need to buy a wired controller, I'm sick of this. :lol Going to steal some batteries from a remote or something.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
rhr0hs.jpg

insane!

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
FAL w/red dot
-Pro stopping power
-Pro fast reloading
-Pro steady aim

monster on both long range and short range. :D

or with the FAMAS

Ten-Song said:
I don't really have much problem with them. I think I've only been killed by them a few times, and it seems I can rarely get more than a single kill with them myself, unless the enemy team is dumb and bunching together out in the open.

I hate it when those things show up on the radar. I usually have cold blooded on so I'm invisible to it, but I swear my allies run straight towards me when the missile appears so I get hit in the blast.

OldJadedGamer said:
I learned that through my 10 prestige levels that a silenced AK-47 in Hardcore mode would drop people super fast and it was my favorite hardcore gun second to the G3.

Yep. Probably my favorite gun for stealth classes.

Ten-Song

Tkawsome said:
I hate it when those things show up on the radar. I usually have cold blooded on so I'm invisible to it, but I swear my allies run straight towards me when the missile appears so I get hit in the blast.

What's WAY worse than that, is I'll be on my cold blooded class, trying to get to an enemy sentry gun, and a goddamn teammate runs RIGHT in front of me, and the sentry gun sees him and kills us both with a burst of fire.

IF YOU KNOW THE GUN CAN SEE YOU, WHY THE HELL ARE YOU RUNNING RIGHT AT IT?!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well, I saw a last kill on skidrow a few minutes ago where the predator missile hit right outside a building and everyone inside died.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
GDJustin said:
A simple compromise would be to have the nuke end the game, but the team with the higher score is declared the winner. 95% of the time the nuking team WOULD have the higher score. But it would prevent situations like the other team ignoring Domination points and playing a game mode in a way not intended by IW.

Just wait until people are done going through prestige mode (however many times they opt to do it) and hit level 70. XP won't mean anything to them and they will move on to focusing on head shots or padding their K/D ratio at the expense of all else. That is when people really start ignoring whatever the objective is and just run amok. I haven't been in a match where a tactical nuke was used yet but I am kind of tired of Domination anyway. I imagine it will happen at some point in Sabotage because 20 minutes is plenty of time for somebody to build up a massive kill streak. It would have made sense as Deathmatch only feature because by the time someone has 25 straight kills in TDM the match is pretty much done anyway.

neoism

moai said:
they also removed the intro video. it was cool the first time, but hearing "50000 people used to live here... Now, it's a ghost town" everytime i fired the game, was annoying.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

scitek said:
Just started playing it and I just wanted to say that I think every game from here on out needs to let you set your screen parameters and brightness before the game. I love that.

IW should hire the PS3 Slim commercials guy.

-Dear IW, I´m playing Modern Warfare 2 but the graphics are all blurry.
Oh! You didn't stretch the image at the initial settings screen did you? You see if you do that, you lose the high definition 1:1 pixel ratio.

infinityBCRT said:
Like I said before
They should have had one flashback mission with Price, showing what he was up to during his absence, and one mission with Price post-EMP where he explains why he did what he did and what Shepherd and Makarov were really up to.
I'd have that open MW3. The tutorial section can be
Price getting tortured
or something.
Also like someone said, I want to know about the
West Coast invasion
and play that. It would be so epic to fight through a destroyed
San Francisco

But I blasted through SP in 4 hours on whatever the one above Recruit is called.
It was fun to look around and never do that much work. Rio is gorgeoussss.

Raxus said:
AC130 is fine as is. It is an 11 kill streak for a reason. Most of this shit can be taken down right quick if more people would use stinger missiles. Gunner chopper should be nerfed a bit. The airdrops should take longer to drop the supply crate so I have a chance to shoot it down.
I'm not up to the level where I have my own effective AA gun. So maybe you're right.

VaLiancY said:
The FAL, it's a battle rifle akin to the M14.

Right.

FN-FAL

love that gun! actually owned one in real life.... one of the biggest mistakes I have ever done was selling that gun.

Only thing that sucked about it was that it used that 308 ammo that is so fucking pricey

Macattk15

I don't know why I bought this for PS3. I hate making parties on it.

I am unable to invite my friends to the party because everytime it says the game is no longer available or what not ... and the same happens when they invite me.

NeoUltima

Kinda off-topic, but last night I ordered MW2 off Amazon...Today they sent my a $20 credit towards my next game purchase :O Amazon :bow

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Damn, this game is brutal online. I really never played the original online and it is not a friendly game to jump into. Death comes so fast. One of the things I always enjoyed about Halo was the fact that you could respond to a threat and out gun them. It wasn't just about how quickly you can spot and aim at a target, rather, movement strategies and weapon usage while engaged. It was a very different experience.

I can see why people like this game so much, but I don't think I have the time or patience to really compete.

scitek said:
Just started playing it and I just wanted to say that I think every game from here on out needs to let you set your screen parameters and brightness before the game. I love that.
There have been other games which do this in the past, but I agree, it's a great feature.

neoism said:
FAL+ACOG=Best gun in the game. But the G3 was my fav, and they are very similar!

I tend to lean towards the plain old Red Dot for it........

I for some reason..... can't get used to the ACOG on the assualt rifles. I love it on the snipers but it seem to take up too much screen and zoom in to far on assualt rifles to me.

dark10x said:
Damn, this game is brutal online. I really never played the original online and it is not a friendly game to jump into. Death comes so fast. One of the things I always enjoyed about Halo was the fact that you could respond to a threat and out gun them. It wasn't just about how quickly you can spot and aim at a target, rather, movement strategies and weapon usage while engaged. It was a very different experience.

I can see why people like this game so much, but I don't think I have the time or patience to really compete.

There have been other games which do this in the past, but I agree, it's a great feature.

freaking shields are for weakness.

Nizz

NeoUltima said:
Kinda off-topic, but last night I ordered MW2 off Amazon...Today they sent my a $20 credit towards my next game purchase :O Amazon :bow
Did you use regular shipping?

neoism said:
FAL+ACOG=Best gun in the game. But the G3 was my fav, and they are very similar!

Are the iron sights any good? My favorite gun from the last game was m14 iron sights or silencer.

Are there any other single shot guns? I watched a youtube video showing all the guns in the game, which showed around 10+ (they were real pictures), but there only appears to be about 5 rifles in the game.

The opening segment of Gulag might be the most impressive realtime action sequence I've seen on consoles. In terms of visual impact, it's more impressive than KZ2's Salamun Bridge and equal to any number of setpieces from Uncharted 2.

Top Bottom