• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

ghst

thanks for the laugh
sk3tch said:
Just pre-ordered this on Steam (canceled PS3 pre-order as I finally got my gamebox back up and running!) and I am disappointed we can't pre-load, yet...does anyone know when we'll be able to start pre-loading??

you know the multiplayer is gimped to all hell, right?

just a heads up incase you've been living in a shoe box full of straw under the stairs.

cresto

ghst said:

just a heads up incase you've been living in a shoe box full of straw under the stairs.
How is no dedicated completely gimped? For all you know it may work out better? I know that sounds ridiculous, but you don't really know for sure how it will all work out. I'm not saying its good, but I'm saying everyone is crying like a bitch when they aren't entirely sure how it will all work out.

<----Don't want to start a flame war, just think people are jumping to conclusions off too little to be so judgmental.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
ghst said:

If he's someone that was going to buy a console version I'm sure he doesn't mind all that much. It's the same as the console experience, just with mouse controls and better graphics.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Not a Jellyfish said:
What gametype is everyone looking forward to in MP? I think when I pick it up at midnight I will mess with TMD for a bit but I am really excited for CTF. :D

CTF the flag for sure. Its all I play in WaW. Though its going to be weird having to wait like 15 seconds for that bar to fill up before you can take the other teams flag. Not that it will matter that much. I tend to play defense in CTF anyway. :D

cresto

Brian Fellows said:
CTF the flag for sure. Its all I play in WaW. Though its going to be weird having to wait like 15 seconds for that bar to fill up before you can take the other teams flag. Not that it will matter that much. I tend to play defense in CTF anyway. :D
Demolition looks like a frantic bunch of fun :)

CTF is only fun if you have a good group of friends to play with

ergo said:
How is no dedicated completely gimped? For all you know it may work out better? I know that sounds ridiculous, but you don't really know for sure how it will all work out. I'm not saying its good, but I'm saying everyone is crying like a bitch when they aren't entirely sure how it will all work out.

<----Don't want to start a flame war, just think people are jumping to conclusions off too little to be so judgmental.

There are other problems than just the servers. Basic functions like leaning, lowered player counts, lack of customizable gametypes/adjusting victory conditions (like say playing to 100 kills instead of 75, or turning off friendly fire but retaining the rest of the hardcore settings) also disappear when compared to the experience that was CoD4 on PC. Admittedly, I still play CoD4 on 360 on a daily basis (meaning I am okay with the experience they provide) and only picked it up on PC last weekend(and obviously havent played MW2), but it seems that there is quite a few things missing from your average PC title for multiplayer.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
ergo said:
Demolition looks like a frantic bunch of fun :)

CTF is only fun if you have a good group of friends to play with

I prefer playing it with strangers. That way I don't have to wear my headset or have people bugging me to work as a team.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
ergo said:

you've never tried throwing yourself infront of a bus, i take it?

RavenFox

Banned
ergo said:

You phased that as a question and the answer is no. There nothing and let me repeat NOTHING that can take the place of a dedicated server with a big juicy pipe. Will get it I am but 100% happy I'm not.

cresto

Pyke Presco said:
There are other problems than just the servers. Basic functions like leaning, lowered player counts, lack of customizable gametypes/adjusting victory conditions (like say playing to 100 kills instead of 75, or turning off friendly fire but retaining the rest of the hardcore settings) also disappear when compared to the experience that was CoD4 on PC. Admittedly, I still play CoD4 on 360 on a daily basis (meaning I am okay with the experience they provide) and only picked it up on PC last weekend(and obviously havent played MW2), but it seems that there is quite a few things missing from your average PC title for multiplayer.
Really? Well in that care: that sucks.

cresto

Brian Fellows said:
I prefer playing it with strangers. That way I don't have to wear my headset or have people bugging me to work as a team.
Every time i try and play that game type by myself I must get stuck with a bunch of idiots because we never get the flag and I end up getting naded more than anything

otakuderek

Kibbles said:
If anyone receives word or a delivery confirmation # from that guy who was selling them let me know. I might order tomorrow... hopefully it'll still be in stock.

I asked him. I ordered today and I will be getting Thursday/Friday :D

Mileena

Banned
Is the midnight release list on the GS website legit? Seems like it's every store. Mine is in a mall and it says it's opening for midnight and they NEVER do so I'm not sure. I'll just call them I guess.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
RavenFox said:
You phased that as a question and the answer is no. There nothing and let me repeat NOTHING that can take the place of a dedicated server with a big juicy pipe. Will get it I am but 100% happy I'm not.

so, what percentage will you be at after a few rounds where you average 150ms ping?

what about the dead communities, when you just want to hang out at a regular server but are forced to play with 9 racist fijians instead. then what percentage?

or when you go into the profile settings to re-assign your lean keys, and you realize the command isn't there? what then?

or perhaps when you try to draw down the console to adjust a few settings, like the claustrophobic console POV, and you realise that functionality has been removed?

i hope whatever % happy you end up at justifies the $10 price hike. because whatever your issues with the game, you're a pc gamer paying hand over fist for a deliberately maimed product, and infinity ward couldn't give a fuck about your experience as you cough up the price of entry as planned.

Ok, further impressions on the PS3 version.

Pacing is well done and action is a very good fit to mission objectives so far. However, after playing Uncharted 2, I guess I feel a bit spoiled regarding set pieces. Please note, I am not saying this game sucks at all, but that coming off such a high from UC2, I guess I expect too much from action/shooter games now, haha.

I went back to test the framerate in the mission with explosions and dust flying everywhere and it still held up. I threw a bunch of grenades around and kept my finger on the trigger button to push it as well (with an RPD). Solid still.

I did notice that in one area when you move your gun sight to a section where the dust isn't in your way, it moved maybe .001 seconds slower than the area where there was dust. I don't know, maybe I'm seeing things, but it felt a little more "weighted" when trying to move it.

Spec Ops Mode - Wow. Big surprise here for me. I love it, great variations and awesome objectives. Very cool.

Overall, definitely a solid 9 so far. If you have any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

cameltoe

VendettaXXI said:
I asked him. I ordered today and I will be getting Thursday/Friday :D

I ordeded yesterday at 530pm cst....have the tracking number and the "package" is now in Iowa on its way to Chicago!! Should have it tomorrow.

cresto

djblackice said:
Spec Ops Mode - Wow. Big surprise here for me. I love it, great variations and awesome objectives. Very cool

So I know they vary, but on average how long did the missions take you to finish with 3 stars?

Sectus

djblackice said:
Ok, further impressions on the PS3 version.

Pacing is well done and action is a very good fit to mission objectives so far. However, after playing Uncharted 2, I guess I feel a bit spoiled regarding set pieces. Please note, I am not saying this game sucks at all, but that coming off such a high from UC2, I guess I expect too much from action/shooter games now, haha.

I went back to test the framerate in the mission with explosions and dust flying everywhere and it still held up. I threw a bunch of grenades around and kept my finger on the trigger button to push it as well (with an RPD). Solid still.

I did notice that in one area when you move your gun sight to a section where the dust isn't in your way, it moved maybe .001 seconds slower than the area where there was dust. I don't know, maybe I'm seeing things, but it felt a little more "weighted" when trying to move it.

Spec Ops Mode - Wow. Big surprise here for me. I love it, great variations and awesome objectives. Very cool.

Overall, definitely a solid 9 so far. If you have any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.
You been able to try spec ops online? If so, how's the netcode for that? Can you still shoot directly at enemies and it'll register?

Cheeto

ghst said:
so, what percentage will you be at after a few rounds where you average 150ms ping?

what about the dead communities, when you just want to hang out at a regular server but are forced to play with 9 racist fijians instead. then what percentage?

or when you go into the profile settings to re-assign your lean keys, and you realize the command isn't there? what then?

or perhaps when you try to draw down the console to adjust a few settings, like the claustrophobic console POV, and you realise that functionality has been removed?

i hope whatever % happy you end up at justifies the $10 price hike. because whatever your issues with the game, you're a pc gamer paying hand over fist for a deliberately maimed product, and infinity ward couldn't give a fuck about your experience as you cough up the price of entry as planned.
It's like the Cleveland Browns...management is not going to care that the team has been shit for almost 2 decades...as long as the sheep-like fans keep coming into the stadium, it's business as usual...until the fans stop being sheep and start to make a statement...things change.

ergo said:
So I know they vary, but on average how long did the missions take you to finish with 3 stars?

I would say a good 6-10 minutes, but you can do some longer or shorter. Some are meant for you to beat the clock and others are meant for you to survive, or complete other mission objectives.

As for 2 player online, I haven't been able to try it since I don't see any mode for matchmaking and only friend invites, and since none of my friends on my PSN list have it yet, I haven't been able to try it out.

otakuderek

cameltoe said:
I ordeded yesterday at 530pm cst....have the tracking number and the "package" is now in Iowa on its way to Chicago!! Should have it tomorrow.

I got my tracking number instantly from person when I ordered it at 1:30pm EST today. Should be here Friday but the tracking info hasn't been updated yet. Where did you order ship from?

cameltoe

VendettaXXI said:
I got my tracking number instantly from person when I ordered it at 1:30pm EST today. Should be here Friday but the tracking info hasn't been updated yet. Where did you order come from?

cali

Violater said:
How are the textures in comparison to COD4?

Oh man, honestly, I don't even remember looking at the textures in COD4 with any intent to judge their value. If you can find me pictures of the textures, I can tell yo how they compare based on memory and gameplay of last night's sessions.

The textures are pretty good in MW2. I was looking at the ground in the tutorial and saw variations in the terrain and nothing that looked drab.

Eric WK

corkscrewblow said:
Is the midnight release list on the GS website legit? Seems like it's every store. Mine is in a mall and it says it's opening for midnight and they NEVER do so I'm not sure. I'll just call them I guess.

No, they're fucking with you. Of course it's legit.

And if your store won't do a midnight launch for what will be the retailer's biggest midnight launch of all time, well, what the fuck.

Eric WK

Oh no.

40765145-7e9a8e7c6c31617738bb74d3fbcc4e02.4af1d826-scaled.png

fourzerotwo
Uploading a bunch of #MW2 avatar gear to XBL tomorrow, including this full GHOST outfit!

Eric WK

I bet the revenue from MW2 avatar gear will bring Activision more of a profit than Brutal Legend would've.

corkscrewblow said:
I was always under the impression that stores in malls couldn't do midnight releases.

They don't like to because the malls usually charge them out the ass for staying open/needing security to be in the mall. The one in my mall only does it rarely.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Eric WK said:
No, they're fucking with you.
Link? That's pretty messed up, but I guess it makes sense for Game$top. Get people in and magically say they "ran out" of games and meanwhile profit off people selling and buying used games. SOP for them I guess.

F#A#Oo said:
Could the SP have been co-op? Also infinate enemy spawns still in?

I didn't try it on Veteran (did Hardened for the first couple missions before realizing I just wanted to play on Moral my first run through) so not sure completely since I know in WaW when I beat it on Veteran, there was infinite spawns.

SP definitely, so far, could have been coop. Hell, coop would have been amazing on the second "mission." You'll see why.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
corkscrewblow said:
I was always under the impression that stores in malls couldn't do midnight releases.
I've been to a few. They're kind of annoyingly set up but they're definitely do able.

witness

djblackice said:
As for 2 player online, I haven't been able to try it since I don't see any mode for matchmaking and only friend invites, and since none of my friends on my PSN list have it yet, I haven't been able to try it out.

So you get to play it with an A.I. partner then?

sk3tch

Enosh said:
cancell your steam preorder and buy it at amazon/walmart
-same price +20$ gift card for another game
-you have to link the game to steam anyway, so you will get all the steam benefits regardless of where you buy the game
-with steam you get it 2 days latter (atleast for me it says 12.11.2009 (eu dates))

ofcourse if you still want to buy it over steam go ahead, just be warned that you get nothing extra from it and that you most probably need to wait 2 days for the game^^

no idea about preloading

Thanks for the tips. I was aware about the pre-order bonuses and frankly do not care that much. I mean, obviously a $20 gift card is nice - but to me I would rather have the PC version of the game versus console (now that my gamebox is working and solid) and I do not want a box and disc floating around...I love digital distribution and I already have CoD4, CoD:WaW in my Steam account and like the idea that I can simply reinstall/install at will when I need to.

I did some add'l research and you are right - 2 day delay plus no one seems to have an idea on the Steam forums as to when it will be available to download...ugh. Oh well.

And yes, $59.99 sucks. P2P multi-player sucks. Etc. But that would be the same case on PS3 or 360 (of which I have both) - perfer to play my gamebox. All three are connected to my 50" plasma so the couch argument is nil. :)

witness said:
So you get to play it with an A.I. partner then?

I didn't check for that, and only did "solo" but I was never paired with any AI. I'll double check since there is one mission already which requires two people to play it (i.e. I couldn't even select it).

BTW the manual fucking sucks. 4 pages of garbage, but I'm not surprised based off COD4's manual.

There is an insert which says you can download the full manual at Activision's website? Fucking cheapasses.

Enosh

and I do not want a box and disc floating around...I love digital distribution and I already have CoD4, CoD:WaW in my Steam account and like the idea that I can simply reinstall/install at will when I need to.

like said, you will be able to do that with the retail MW2 version
it will link to your steam account just like DoW2 or E:TW, you can at this point basicly throw the box and disc away and just use steam for instaling

but well, It's up to you^^

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Woot woot - found a store that's breaking street date. See you online this weekend, suckas.

Top Bottom