• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

sk3tch

Enosh said:
like said, you will be able to do that with the retail MW2 version
it will link to your steam account just like DoW2 or E:TW, you can at this point basicly throw the box and disc away and just use steam for instaling

but well, It's up to you^^

Where is that validated??? I will definitely buy on Amazon then...

My concern is having to worry about the box/disc. So if it is always going to be in my Steam account then that's great...

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
So there is no saved films or anything like that? The more I think of it there isn't really anything cool physics based in this series so no real point. All video clips would just be pretty boring, even screenshots would be pretty boring.

Enosh

sk3tch said:
Where is that validated??? I will definitely buy on Amazon then...

My concern is having to worry about the box/disc. So if it is always going to be in my Steam account then that's great...

they said:
As for Activision's deal with Valve, MW2 on the PC will be supported by Steamworks, which offers a range of publishing and development tools ranging from product key authentication to social-networking functionality. As it pertains to MW2, Activision said that the game will make use of Valve's auto-updating and anti-cheat technology. MW2 will also include 50 Steam achievements.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/modernwarfare2/news.html?sid=6237899&mode=all

from that it is preaty easy to conclude that the game will work just like E:TW by linking the game to your steam acc otherwise it doesn't make sense to include steam anti chat if only a few people will use steam.

it's also used for online authenticaton which basicly means linking your game to your steam acc

cameltoe

Not a Jellyfish said:
So there is no saved films or anything like that? The more I think of it there isn't really anything cool physics based in this series so no real point. All video clips would just be pretty boring, even screenshots would be pretty boring.

but its 60fps! 60F.P.S.!!!!

Nizz

djblackice said:
Ok, further impressions on the PS3 version.
Much appreciated man, thank you.

Eric WK said:
Oh no.

40765145-7e9a8e7c6c31617738bb74d3fbcc4e02.4af1d826-scaled.png

fourzerotwo
Uploading a bunch of #MW2 avatar gear to XBL tomorrow, including this full GHOST outfit!
I wonder if they're planning on doing a dynamic theme for PSN? Probably not...

sk3tch said:
Thanks for the tips. I was aware about the pre-order bonuses and frankly do not care that much. I mean, obviously a $20 gift card is nice - but to me I would rather have the PC version of the game versus console (now that my gamebox is working and solid) and I do not want a box and disc floating around...I love digital distribution and I already have CoD4, CoD:WaW in my Steam account and like the idea that I can simply reinstall/install at will when I need to.

I did some add'l research and you are right - 2 day delay plus no one seems to have an idea on the Steam forums as to when it will be available to download...ugh. Oh well.

And yes, $59.99 sucks. P2P multi-player sucks. Etc. But that would be the same case on PS3 or 360 (of which I have both) - perfer to play my gamebox. All three are connected to my 50" plasma so the couch argument is nil. :)

It'd still be in your Steam list if you bought it retail, as its a Steamworks title. You're free to throw out that box, once you've registered it on Steam.

cameltoe

brain_stew said:
It'd still be in your Steam list if you bought it retail, as its a Steamworks title. You're free to throw out that box, once you've registered it on Steam.

YUP.. I have L4D on disk, installed the first time and have reinstalled it thru steam every time there after. Disk hasnt been removed from the box since inital install.

kuYuri

Not a Jellyfish said:

No saved films, fourzerotwo confirmed it as such.

fps fanatic said:
Much appreciated man, thank you.

I wonder if they're planning on doing a dynamic theme for PSN? Probably not...

Actually, they are supposed to. I believe fourzerotwo mentioned it.

@A_Manderfield We're working on some Dynamic Themes for PS3 as well. I'll be sure to post a preview when they're going out.

Nardonicus said:
um...I think you did.

WTF...that is a huge spoiler...why would they put that in a commercial

It could be a Spec Ops mission?

Didn't we hear a while back that IW4 was going to be a space-shooter? I wonder if that was one of those "ideas that didn't make it into the main story but became a Spec Ops mission."

Nizz

Nardonicus said:
um...I think you did.

Seriously, I think my mind would have been blown had I discovered that for myself in the game.

Ahhh, I hope there are still big surprises left for me in the game. I already learned about the controversial sequence you can play through (although I didn't watch the clip).

And I would have seen this ad on tv anyway sooo...

winnarps

Nardonicus said:
um...I think you did.

Yeah, it's a pretty big spoiler.

You're in the body of an astronaut tethered to the International Space Station watching a nuke explode on US soil. The explosion is so immense the it pretty much destroys the ISS and kills you. It's a unique point of view for this event in the story line.

RavenFox

Banned
ghst said:
so, what percentage will you be at after a few rounds where you average 150ms ping?

what about the dead communities, when you just want to hang out at a regular server but are forced to play with 9 racist fijians instead. then what percentage?

or when you go into the profile settings to re-assign your lean keys, and you realize the command isn't there? what then?

or perhaps when you try to draw down the console to adjust a few settings, like the claustrophobic console POV, and you realise that functionality has been removed?

i hope whatever % happy you end up at justifies the $10 price hike. because whatever your issues with the game, you're a pc gamer paying hand over fist for a deliberately maimed product, and infinity ward couldn't give a fuck about your experience as you cough up the price of entry as planned.
What the fuck are you carrying on about? I have the PS3 version preorderd. Also when I play the PC version its with my friends. They all have PC's and we do LANS every year. You comments are stretching though aren't they. There are dweebs in every online community.
corkscrewblow said:
I was always under the impression that stores in malls couldn't do midnight releases.
They can with permission. Gamestop head honchos have to ask Mall head honchos, drinks and money is passed around blah blah. No joke I've been to a launch at a EB/Gamestop in Rockefeller plaza here in NY when the rest of the building was closed.

sk3tch

Enosh said:
they said:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/modernwarfare2/news.html?sid=6237899&mode=all

from that it is preaty easy to conclude that the game will work just like E:TW by linking the game to your steam acc otherwise it doesn't make sense to include steam anti chat if only a few people will use steam.

it's also used for online authenticaton which basicly means linking your game to your steam acc

brain_stew said:

OK guys..canceling Steam and going Amazon. You better be right on this Steamworks thing. :lol

F#A#Oo said:
Thats a pretty big spoiler...fffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Yep, it was. Why do that during a commercial of all things.
The nuke going off was the best part of the original.

Does anyone else think multiplayer looks too complicated this time around? There seems to be too many options. Maybe I'll feel differently once I play the game.

Minamu

Tzeentch said:
How can their partners sell those useless game guides if the manual actually explains anything? Use your head man! :)
Well, a guide contains a lot more info that no manual ever covers. Of those 4 pages, I bet at least 2 contain text about warranties & other stuff no one ever reads. It makes sense from a business point of view of course.

W Hudson

KilgoreTrout said:
Yep, it was. Why do that during a commercial of all things.
The nuke going off was the best part of the original.

Does anyone else think multiplayer looks too complicated this time around? There seems to be too many options. Maybe I'll feel differently once I play the game.

Yeah I do. I am just a little worried that games will be focused gunships, missiles, and so on rather than having them as 'secondary' components as they are in COD4. I am excited, however, about the new perks. But I could go without things like sentry guns, heartbeat sensors, and shields. But looking at the positive side it gives players more opportunity to figure out what 'works' for them.

All in all I'm excited for it and I'm sure I'll play the shit out of this game. I know there's been a lot of trepidation about the changes made for MP but in the end I think that the game will be a solid upgrade and a fuck-ton of fun. At least I hope...........

So uh, didn't they patch the "quick fire controllers" problem in MW1? Our store just got in some official MW2 controllers with quick fire triggers on them.

Weird.

Minamu

FoxHimself said:
So uh, didn't they patch the "quick fire controllers" problem in MW1? Our store just got in some official MW2 controllers with quick fire triggers on them.

Weird.
Not that weird. They said they had a different solution in mw2 compared to that cod4 patch. And that solution is *selling* already modded controllers so *everyone* can get in on the rapid fire fun! if you pay up of course :lol

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
MW2 retail get. Hardened/prestige editions won't be available till near release date. Store in Venice, Ca selling early. Anyone who lives around the Santa Monica area probably knows the store. To protect them, I won't give out any info. Will post pics later.

Az

Minamu said:
Not that weird. They said they had a different solution in mw2 compared to that cod4 patch. And that solution is *selling* already modded controllers so *everyone* can get in on the rapid fire fun! if you pay up of course :lol

This is really becoming sad

Minamu said:

Sarcasm, much?

Minamu

divisionbyzorro said:
Sarcasm, much?
Hehe yeah maybe a bit. I wouldn't be surprised though. If the controllers are truly official with no Mad Catz involvement then something fishy is obviously going on.

djblackice said:
I didn't try it on Veteran (did Hardened for the first couple missions before realizing I just wanted to play on Moral my first run through) so not sure completely since I know in WaW when I beat it on Veteran, there was infinite spawns.

SP definitely, so far, could have been coop. Hell, coop would have been amazing on the second "mission." You'll see why.

Woah, hold on, I thought they said they took that stuff out?

One more question, did the game have good AI, or did they spam grenades a lot and know exactly were you were at all times.

A.R.K

djblackice said:
Ok, further impressions on the PS3 version.
Pacing is well done and action is a very good fit to mission objectives so far. However, after playing Uncharted 2, I guess I feel a bit spoiled regarding set pieces. Please note, I am not saying this game sucks at all, but that coming off such a high from UC2, I guess I expect too much from action/shooter games now, haha.

I went back to test the framerate in the mission with explosions and dust flying everywhere and it still held up. I threw a bunch of grenades around and kept my finger on the trigger button to push it as well (with an RPD). Solid still.

I did notice that in one area when you move your gun sight to a section where the dust isn't in your way, it moved maybe .001 seconds slower than the area where there was dust. I don't know, maybe I'm seeing things, but it felt a little more "weighted" when trying to move it.

Spec Ops Mode - Wow. Big surprise here for me. I love it, great variations and awesome objectives. Very cool.

Overall, definitely a solid 9 so far. If you have any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

thanks for impressions DJ but no screen pics so far??? :)

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Friend in Colorado just got his copy too. Looks like most retailers are receiving them today. If you know a mom & pop local game shop, give them a call cause most are selling the game early it seems.

zewone said:
That's a new sight called Holographic.

ACOG is pretty much the same; I think it zooms out a tiny bit less which I like.

Is there any pics or vids of the new ACOG? I was looking around youtube and found this on the Intervention. It's not the normal scope nor is it the holographic scope that you mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwF11lfuBMI&feature=related#t=0m13s

It zooms about 2x and the scope takes up your entire screen just like the ACOG. But fortunately that stupid arrow is gone and now we have 2 intersecting lines, which should make targeting easier, especially for sniper rifles. Anyways is this the new ACOG or is it another scope?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
LeMaximilian said:
MW2 retail get. Hardened/prestige editions won't be available till near release date. Store in Venice, Ca selling early. Anyone who lives around the Santa Monica area probably knows the store. To protect them, I won't give out any info. Will post pics later.

Confirmed. They are in the wild. We are Oscar-Mike.

Top Bottom