• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Magik

JasonMCG said:
I really enjoyed the multi in CoD4, but I'm having a Hell of a time trying to enjoy it in MW2. I am Lv.10 and this just isn't fun right now. I can't seem to kill anyone, no matter how many rounds I dump into people and people seem to pick me off with one shot kills every time I respawn. WTF am I doing wrong?! I'm seriously considering trading this up for Uncharted 2.

I had the exact same problem as well. I just changed my play style to compensate for lag.

Heck, it reminds me of the early days of CoD 4.

daegan

GodfatherX said:
just finished the campaign, and damn IW sucks at story telling. You can tell they have a great story and plot to tell, but they put almost nothing directly in your face and leave so much for you to assume on your own, which is made even harder by the constant switching of characters. I'm all for MW3 only having 2 playable characters.

Also
the DC invasion just seemed off, something like that seems so grand and epic when you think about it, but in the game it just wasn't that exciting to me at all. Infact a lot of the middle of the game had points that were kind of let downs due to their presentation alone. It was kinda cool to see a character with my last name in a game for once, even it was a wounded DC soldier, Neel is a pretty uncommon spelling for a last name lol

Pretty much this. I'm hoping they realize that with this game they've hit the wall of the "map interlude" storytelling... I was still a bit confused at the end about certain characters' motivations.
I also want to know how they resolve killing an American general bringing about the end of this war with Russia. Yes you can fill in the blanks yourself but some things should be spelled out.

emperor799

Neo Member
Ad Infinitum said:
Did everyone press the alarm in the Museum level? Only just realised it was there...

anything happen if I manage to put everyone down?

Apparently there have been several YouTube videos show something that happens when you beat both rooms on prestige, but they've been taken down due to terms of use claims by IW whereas many museum videos that don't show the beat are still up.

Anyone know anything about this or what happens?

Wallach

OldJadedGamer said:
I was playing on Hardened at first then heard this a few days ago and switched to Veteran and it is super easy compared to COD4. MW2 on Veteran is basically hardened on COD4.

Wow, I totally disagree. I just finished this campaign on Veteran and did the same for CoD4's when it came out, and I think there were more frustrating points here than there was in CoD4. Mile High Club is probably the only thing that was significantly harder than anything in MW2.

Is anyone having any issues with live? Every time I connect to a game, I start lagging like crazy. Then eventually I'll d/c from it, reconnect, and the whole thing happens all over again.

Wallach

emperor799 said:
Apparently there have been several YouTube videos show something that happens when you beat both rooms on prestige, but they've been taken down due to terms of use claims by IW whereas many museum videos that don't show the beat are still up.

Anyone know anything about this or what happens?

Are you talking about the museum thing in the background of the credits? I didn't even know you had control during that...

Griffith

Banned
Neverender said:
Infinity Ward, please patch in a locale only search like WaW. I'm Australian and sick of being put into American hosted matches, your matchmaking does not work like you claimed it would. This is the reason I'm only level 40 in CoD4 and on my 2nd Prestige in WaW... Because I can actually get green games. I'm tired of having almost 50 losse on my stats because I have to quit shitty red-bar games. I'm really going to look forward to Treyarch's next CoD game because they know that this stuff is important.
Also they had a real party system and IW's is fucking stupid.
Agree 100%

I'm replaying on veteran now, and some levels are easier than I thought they'd be, while others are much harder. While Favela was hard, I took my time and killed everyone before moving on, so that made it easier. The part in Contingency where you have to
reach the sub was so damn frustrating. I realized afterwards that it was probably because I was moving to fast, as I finished it with a little over 30 seconds remaining.
Also during Loose Ends, I wanted to throw my controller through the TV when you have to
defend the DMC. The hard part wasn't actually defending it, but grabbing it after it was finished copying without getting shot. It also didn't help that the checkpoint didn't activate the first six or so times I grabbed it, only to die and have to replay the defense part again.

Other than those parts, veteran hasn't been overly difficult, and is easier than veteran in previous COD's

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I think I just encountered a game with a bunch of cheaters on the opposing side. There was like 4 people over 18:1 KDR, and we got totally steamrolled. PC version.

Fuck.

I've never had worse score than that. I was like 4/27 or something. :lol

Osaka said:
I think I just encountered a game with a bunch of cheaters on the opposing side.

I just watched that hacker youtube video. Disgusting. Why do people cheat like that? I mean, what could you possibly get out of that? Are these all just 10 yr. old sociopaths?

Curufinwe

The biggest benefit of using IWnet by far is the fact that you don’t have to worry about joining a server full of aim-bots, wallhacks, or cheaters. Or relying on the server admin of the server to constantly be monitoring, banning, and policing it. Modern Warfare 2 on PC allows us to control the quality of the game much more than ever before as well as utilizing the VAC (Valve-Anti-Cheat) system to keep games clean of hackers and cheaters.

:lol

Smash88

Banned
Micromegas said:
I just watched that hacker youtube video. Disgusting. Why do people cheat like that? I mean, what could you possibly get out of that? Are these all just 10 yr. old sociopaths?

Honestly, I'm against hackers, but in this case, I hope they come out in full force. Just to show you guys how much dedicated servers meant to the game, and how much it still means for other games for that matter.

Anyways, without negativity, I watched someone play it over a stream, and it looks really good, hopefully this will be resolved sooner rather than later.

Az

Just had a nuke. Wanted to see myself how it looks. Nothing special, will not use the killstreak again.

AlexMogil

This game has the single most impressive and manly pronunciation of the word "fuckin'" I have ever heard. I want it as my ringtone.

rareside

Square Triangle said:
Getting tired of the crappy invites on PSN. A buddy keeps trying to invite me and it continuously says "Game is invalid"

Supposedly this will be fixed tomorrow. We're already on our 3rd patch. Tomorrow makes 4! Hooray!

S1lent

Man I suck at this game. CoD noob here, and maybe I'm getting old or something, but shit just seems way too fast paced. I'm constantly getting shot in the back or from the side or rounding a corner and getting killed from somebody in a house 100 yards away. Perhaps I'm just used to CS too much, where there was a certain amount of predictability and form each round took; here it just feels like sheer chaos. Also getting shot at from the air all the time isn't fun either.

I'm going to stick with it, and I'm getting better, but man, kinda frustrating. The customization elements are pretty amazing though.

X26

Banned
RapidCancel said:
Is anyone having any issues with live? Every time I connect to a game, I start lagging like crazy. Then eventually I'll d/c from it, reconnect, and the whole thing happens all over again.

yea it's been happening pretty frequently for me, and the worst is when it stays on the map loading screen indefinitely and you need to exit to the dash

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
In the match I just played, I got THREE care packages and ALL OF THEM WERE RESUPPLIES

I cried bitter tears.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So, I just wanted to confirm unless I was blind or stupid - MW2 has no co-op matchmaking?!

Even CoD5 had co-op matchmaking for their damn zombie mode. Bungie has some excuse because their engine is crap or whatever, but IW? I mean, unless Treyarch has some magic co-op juice that they won't share with IW, I don't get it. Worse still that some of the damn maps are two player only so I'll never get to play them unless I spam my friends list like a douchebag.

Square Triangle said:
Getting tired of the crappy invites on PSN. A buddy keeps trying to invite me and it continuously says "Game is invalid"
just relog back into PSN. Should be fine accepting the invite. works great for me.

and oh. They need a better way to find a better host. one game. had 3 different host migration because the connection was crap. then fourth try it disconnects me.

calder

GodfatherX said:
just finished the campaign, and damn IW sucks at story telling. You can tell they have a great story and plot to tell, but they put almost nothing directly in your face and leave so much for you to assume on your own, which is made even harder by the constant switching of characters. I'm all for MW3 only having 2 playable characters.

Also
the DC invasion just seemed off, something like that seems so grand and epic when you think about it, but in the game it just wasn't that exciting to me at all. Infact a lot of the middle of the game had points that were kind of let downs due to their presentation alone. It was kinda cool to see a character with my last name in a game for once, even it was a wounded DC soldier, Neel is a pretty uncommon spelling for a last name lol
Fully agree. Very disjointed story due to some poor story telling techniques, way too much reliance on vague snippets of dialogue during the loading screens and guys yelling on the radio when shit's blowing up all around you. Now I was a massive military techno-thriller nerd growing up but I was totally baffled by a few plot elements, did they explain the ACS module at all? I heard some mention of it needing to be retrieved and next thing I know a wholly implausible airborne invasion results.

I tried to ignore the fact that any big cross-oceanic invasion (many thousands of troops, air support, armor for god's sake) would be completely impossible and just go along with it for the relaxed realism of the MW world, but damn it was tough.
I don't care what kind of slightly fantastic setting they were shooting for, MiGs over the US? A giant airborne invasion?? Where the fuck did they come from, unless the Russians had some huge bases in Nova Scotia no one's aware of. :lol

And you had to wonder what the end-game the Russians had in mind for their invasion - "ok, so we're mad and we want to lash out. I propose we somehow get like 10 thousand elite troops and their equipment into the US, via magic I guess, and they fuck shit up for a few days and then are all inevitably killed with no hope of victory and the Motherland gets pasted shortly after. Sound good to everyone else? Ok, let's go!" No wonder the end of the game showed nothing after Price's (admittedly badass) final revenge, showing any further events happening in the world would have made it all seem more absurd I guess.

bdouble

S1lent said:
Man I suck at this game. CoD noob here, and maybe I'm getting old or something, but shit just seems way too fast paced. I'm constantly getting shot in the back or from the side or rounding a corner and getting killed from somebody in a house 100 yards away. Perhaps I'm just used to CS too much, where there was a certain amount of predictability and form each round took; here it just feels like sheer chaos. Also getting shot at from the air all the time isn't fun either.

I'm going to stick with it, and I'm getting better, but man, kinda frustrating. The customization elements are pretty amazing though.
Yeah I played mostly HC TDM PC on CoD4 and it seemed more manageable than MW2. Loving Domination and had tons of fun with CTF earlier today though. Just easier to predict where to go and where the enemy is. Course they know the same thing and every once in a while you will get rolled by a party.

I need to add some gafers and get into a bit more team play soon though. Its awfully quiet on PSN.

kevm3

I love how the game allows you to grab your own care package much faster than anyone else. I dropped my chopper care package a little away from me, and my teammate tried to jump down the ledge and come grab it. I ran up and took it and snatched it right in front of him.

Smash88 said:
Honestly, I'm against hackers, but in this case, I hope they come out in full force. Just to show you guys how much dedicated servers meant to the game, and how much it still means for other games for that matter.

Anyways, without negativity, I watched someone play it over a stream, and it looks really good, hopefully this will be resolved sooner rather than later.

Please, I've seen many hackers on dedicated servers. Hell, I encountered a full team using aimbot today while playing CoD4. Hackers will always find a way to exploit a game. Doesn't matter if it's p2p or ds, they'll hack that shit if they can.

Also, the game is already out and PC gamers are playing it. You may be mad about it, but don't take it out on people who are enjoying the game.

S1lent

bdouble said:
Yeah I played mostly HC TDM PC on CoD4 and it seemed more manageable than MW2. Loving Domination and had tons of fun with CTF earlier today though. Just easier to predict where to go and where the enemy is. Course they know the same thing and every once in a while you will get rolled by a party.

I need to add some gafers and get into a bit more team play soon though. Its awfully quiet on PSN.

Yeah I haven't even tried CTF yet, or alot of the other modes for that matter. I'm sure once I get more used to the game and the maps it'll feel less chaotic.

I made a GAF PSN chat room for the game that a good number of people have already joined, makes it easier to get parties going (once they fix em, that is). Add me if you want an invite, PSN is S1lentTwo.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Y2Kev said:
In the match I just played, I got THREE care packages and ALL OF THEM WERE RESUPPLIES

I cried bitter tears.
:lol

that happen to me yesterday. I was like"wtf empty box?!?!"

J-Rzez

Pewp said:
Man I hate grenade launcher spammers. The highest kill-streak I got so far 5 was, it's gonna take awhile to learn all of these maps.

Get used to it. Especially since people will use them on everything possible to get some quick cheap xp for the challenge bonus.

Osaka said:
I think I just encountered a game with a bunch of cheaters on the opposing side. There was like 4 people over 18:1 KDR, and we got totally steamrolled. PC version.

Fuck.

I've never had worse score than that. I was like 4/27 or something. :lol

Superior PC version ftw. At least you have the mouse perk.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
firehawk12 said:
So, I just wanted to confirm unless I was blind or stupid - MW2 has no co-op matchmaking?!

Even CoD5 had co-op matchmaking for their damn zombie mode. Bungie has some excuse because their engine is crap or whatever, but IW? I mean, unless Treyarch has some magic co-op juice that they won't share with IW, I don't get it. Worse still that some of the damn maps are two player only so I'll never get to play them unless I spam my friends list like a douchebag.
Treyarch also had ten custom slots. TEN INFINITY WARD, TEN IS A BETTER NUMBER THAN FIVE.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I'm only playing the SP campaign (PC version) with high AA settings and I have to say some of the later levels look really, really good. A definite improvement over MW1 which I was not expecting from the trailers. I do love how unrelenting it is with stuff happening all around you.

I've been pretty negative on this game, but the SP campaign has been fun. I know I am probably towards the end even though I've only played for 5 hours but it's been a fun ride. $60 worth though? Not for those of us interested in SP only IMO.

The story is thin having just played Uncharted 2 which really pulled me in. But very engrossing nonetheless. Extremely visceral...

Wickerman

A silenced SCAR-H, Stopping Power, and Cold-Blooded is unstoppable

Oh, and some little brat nuked my team during TDM and then mouthed off in the lobby.

Of course, during the round he get owned and promptly quit out. Sweet revenge :lol

kevm3

This game is much less annoying than the previous iterations, thankfully.

A lot less grenade spam and guys laying grenades everywhere. No juggernaut perk 2 is another huge plus. The host migration is another very welcome feature. This makes playing the game much more fun for me.

eshwaaz

I'm about halfway through the campaign, and I feel like the game is actively trying to prevent me from enjoying myself. I'm all for intense action, but most of the levels are just obnoxious blurs of complete chaos and confusion. There are some cool moments for sure, but overall I just don't understand how this can be considered good game design. Having the action turned up all the way, all the time with no breaks in the intensity doesn't allow for any sense of pacing to develop.

Aptos

calder said:
Fully agree. Very disjointed story due to some poor story telling techniques, way too much reliance on vague snippets of dialogue during the loading screens and guys yelling on the radio when shit's blowing up all around you. Now I was a massive military techno-thriller nerd growing up but I was totally baffled by a few plot elements, did they explain the ACS module at all? I heard some mention of it needing to be retrieved and next thing I know a wholly implausible airborne invasion results.
I agree as well.
No fighter or troop transport has that kind of fuel capacity to fly from Russia to the US, fight, then fly back. Also the US is the only country that has active aircraft carriers... And how does killing the general solve any problems?

Irish

I just did something a billion times better than that epic knife throw last kill.

I got the last kill and missed my knife throw on a guy laying stationary two feet away from me. I then went up to him and just knifed him with R3. My ass was laughed right out of the lobby.

chriskun

-Yeti said:
Oh dear. This is game is so addicting, yet really frustrating at the same time. There are some matches where I go like 5 and 13, and then there are other matches where I go 23 and 4.

And please tell me there are more people that enjoy playing Third Person matches more than First Person matches.

I just got done with trying 3rd person for the first time and I think I might like it more. It's crazy how different it feels. Makes the tone of the game feel much different, much less oppressive/real and more gamey.

aznpxdd

eshwaaz said:
I'm about halfway through the campaign, and I feel like the game is actively trying to prevent me from enjoying myself. I'm all for intense action, but most of the levels are just obnoxious blurs of complete chaos and confusion. There are some cool moments for sure, but overall I just don't understand how this can be considered good game design. Having the action turned up all the way, all the time with no breaks in the intensity doesn't allow for any sense of pacing to develop.

Yep, I'm pretty amazed by MW2's presentation. Each mission's set up is so cinematic, and then it turns it typical COD gameplay. Bleh.

Just played the campaign with a friend and I didn't even know what happened and why was I at an area. I agree with the others very hard to follow.

Dartastic

GodfatherX said:

Jesus, I was coming in here to post pretty much the exact same thing. I just finished the game, and even though the game was really, really quite epic, I have almost no idea what the shit happened. At all. There was this guy you were supposed to kill? But then he did some terrorist act? Then a war happened? Then
you had to free someone that's his enemy or something, then it turns out to be Price, then some general betrays you and you're friends with the terrorist suddenly?
It's seriously the most confusing, bare bones, just plain all around PISS POOR story telling I've seen this entire year. The game is really, really good; IW obviously are brilliant at those edge of your seat moments; I was literally borderline shouting "COME ON!" during the final desert fight after the boat part.

In fact, those were the parts in which I was enjoying the game the most; when the gameplay mechanics were switched up. I LOVED the snowmobile scene, and I loved the part where you were
running on the rooftops in Brazil without your weapons trying to escape a mob
and all the scenes like that. It's just... the gunplay was slightly irritating at times partially due to me not ever knowing where I was getting shot from (admittedly, sometimes it was just me sucking =p) and the stupid, STUPID blood CONSTANTLY screwing up your vision when you got shot to the point of not being able to see ANYTHING at all, essentially making you defenseless.

But wow. That story. Hands down, one of the worst told stories this entire generation. I honestly can't think of something, at least off the top of my head, that is worse. At least, of the games I've played. =p

adelante

Completely agree with the plot presentation criticisms, posting my thoughts on how it could've improved:

I was a big...nay, HUGE fan of the Strike series back in the day and when Soviet Strike came out on the original Playstation it was really leaps and bounds ahead of its time in terms of story presentation. For instance, the cutscenes in between missions were a FANFUCKINGTASTIC mix of acted out scenes, archived footage and cg animations that provides enough enemy intel info like the kind of tanks to avoid in a mission (damn Zeus was a pain in the @$$) or the kind of tech a particular AAA employed on the battlefield, on top of advancing a plot that is just as over-the-top as MW2's, through the three main characters of game (a journalist-cum-spy, a hacker, and a general), each of whom had a vital role in the story. These cutscenes weren't even lengthy and were probably used in the same manner like MW2, i.e. mask the load time but they were sure as hell better than the latter's useless motion graphics that shows very little and were more befitting of a website's flash intro more than anything else...
Still the best videos/cutscenes EVER in a videogame imho and to think that this was a 1996 game lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkqYK7lGFxo

mr stroke

GodfatherX said:

Also

+1

dc felt very disconnected

leng jai

+1 for having absolutely no fucking clue what was going on in the story line. Some of the worst story telling I've ever encountered.

The graphics were actually fantastic and a significant improvement over MW1, especially in the character modeling and lighting.

Top Bottom