• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

_Alkaline_ said:
Spec Ops with a friend is really, really good. So satisfying to beat those missions on Vet.

But my GOD some of them are frustrating. The last one in Charlie on Veteran specifically is piledriving my mind.

Beowulf28

calder said:
Fully agree. Very disjointed story due to some poor story telling techniques, way too much reliance on vague snippets of dialogue during the loading screens and guys yelling on the radio when shit's blowing up all around you. Now I was a massive military techno-thriller nerd growing up but I was totally baffled by a few plot elements, did they explain the ACS module at all? I heard some mention of it needing to be retrieved and next thing I know a wholly implausible airborne invasion results.

I tried to ignore the fact that any big cross-oceanic invasion (many thousands of troops, air support, armor for god's sake) would be completely impossible and just go along with it for the relaxed realism of the MW world, but damn it was tough.
I don't care what kind of slightly fantastic setting they were shooting for, MiGs over the US? A giant airborne invasion?? Where the fuck did they come from, unless the Russians had some huge bases in Nova Scotia no one's aware of. :lol

And you had to wonder what the end-game the Russians had in mind for their invasion - "ok, so we're mad and we want to lash out. I propose we somehow get like 10 thousand elite troops and their equipment into the US, via magic I guess, and they fuck shit up for a few days and then are all inevitably killed with no hope of victory and the Motherland gets pasted shortly after. Sound good to everyone else? Ok, let's go!" No wonder the end of the game showed nothing after Price's (admittedly badass) final revenge, showing any further events happening in the world would have made it all seem more absurd I guess.
THIS
How on earth did the Russian forces get to the east coast like that? Also even without satellite coverage or whatever bs excuse IW was using there is no way the navy wouldn't have detected that large of an attack.

So, what's everyone's favorite builds so far? Mine's:

Primary: Riot Shield
Secondary: AT4-HS
Equipment: Throwing Knife, Stun 'nades X2

Perk 1: Scavenger
Perk 2: Hardline
Perk 3: Scrambler
Deathstreak: Painkiller

No range at all (except the rocket, which I reserve for annoying UMVs, chopters, campers, harriers, etc.), but since I'm playing a lot of Domination it's a good build for taking objectives and holding them, and nothing beats a good point-blank face-stabbing! Scavenger will auto-pickup your knife, allowing you to stay hidden behind your shield, Hardline is useful because you'll not get very many kills with a thrown knife being pretty much your primary way of killing on the front line, and Scrambler is for when you're pushing forward with a group of guys behind you. Such a fun build!

remz

How on earth did the Russian forces get to the east coast like that? Also even without satellite coverage or whatever bs excuse IW was using there is no way the navy wouldn't have detected that large of an attack.
The cutscene before it was implying that their satellites were fucking up, wasn't it? With all the false readings on the west coast and shit?

who knows!

How the fuck don't these random kids realize when you get killed by any airplane just respawn as a custom class that has a rocket launcher stinger or javelin! WTF goddamnit I seem to be the only person do that and without me they would just continually get shot down over and over.

harrytang

xxjuicesxx said:
How the fuck don't these random kids realize when you get killed by any airplane just respawn as a custom class that has a rocket launcher stinger or javelin! WTF goddamnit I seem to be the only person do that and without me they would just continually get shot down over and over.

completely agree. you can take out enemy kill-streaks so quickly. great for balancing multiplayer. if you fail to do this your team will be destroyed. great feeling knocking a harrier out of the sky.

i've also been shooting down care package helicopters just for fun.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, taking out helis with the standard rocket launcher (who's name escapes me) is all well and good, but I want something that can take care of those UAV with ease. :D

ZZMitch

Lonewolf_92 said:

No range at all (except the rocket, which I reserve for annoying UMVs, chopters, campers, harriers, etc.), but since I'm playing a lot of Domination it's a good build for taking objectives and holding them, and nothing beats a good point-blank face-stabbing! Scavenger will auto-pickup your knife, allowing you to stay hidden behind your shield, Hardline is useful because you'll not get very many kills with a thrown knife being pretty much your primary way of killing on the front line, and Scrambler is for when you're pushing forward with a group of guys behind you. Such a fun build!

I pretty much use that except change 1 or 2 perks and switch the rocket with the AA-12 Shotgun

panda21

Rez said:
yeah, taking out helis with the standard rocket launcher (who's name escapes me) is all well and good, but I want something that can take care of those UAV with ease. :D

i thought the standard one was really easy to take out uavs. you just have to point at for like a second it till it starts beeping and thats it.

winnarps

Last night I had a killstreak setup of Predator Missile > Harrier > Chopper Gunner. A very good chain kill setup.

I'm considering dropping Predator Missile and going for Nuke, because once the Harrier comes in, it's almost guaranteed 4 kills to get the Chopper Gunner, which in turn nets at least 10 more.

The hard part would be adjusting to earning 7 kills to start off the streak.

Ricker

Single player campaign,day 5,at some point you put a charge on a door,making the door break open and there's a forced slo-motion scripted event and the hostages can't die...tried about 10 times last evening,before calling it quits for the night...am I suppose to flick a flashlight or something going in there to see who the hell I have to shoot or what??? stuck there for now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
panda21 said:
i thought the standard one was really easy to take out uavs. you just have to point at for like a second it till it starts beeping and thats it.
I tried this repeatedly and it never worked with UAV. I assumed it was because it was too small or something. I probably effed it somehow, I'll give it another try tomorrow.

eshwaaz

Rez said:
But something unexplainably snapped in my brain and suddenly I'm really good at COD. I think I died more during my Regular playthrough than I did during my Vet playthrough. It was like playing UC2 on Crushing. It was challenging, but if you play smartly, slowly and methodically, it is very manageable -- unlike MW1's cheap grenade-spam and time limit bullshit.

I can't believe what a 180 I've had with this game. I was 'meh' toward it while working through Act II, then really got into during the Gulag level through to the end, before ending the game thinking that it was a frustrating game because of how many boring sections there were, and now, after playing it again, I fucking love it. Weird.

That's really encouraging to hear; I hope the same happens for me.

Rez said:

The AT4, yea it's basically replaced the RPG from the original though it's slower to equip and fire.

Takes like 3 rockets to bring down a stupid heli with the thing though.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
DMeisterJ said:

I'm about to unlock it and fuck up some UAVs, Heli's and a whole bunch of annoying shit.
The stinger unlocks before 32.

It's either 29 or 30 if memory serves me, but I'm not 32 yet and have it unlocked.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Yesterday I had a 26 kill streak, kinda funny because I am not that good in the game, I had 4 - 9 and ended on 30 - 9 on free for all :lol

I was sitting on the highest platform in the little level with the oil platform in the desert. Really nobody was so smart to look above and start shooting back at me :lol

panda21

i'm surprised more people dont shoot down the UAVs, seems like a complete dick move and it must really piss off the other team.

every time i hear 'enemy UAV spotted' i go outide and shoot it down :lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
"Hooray, my first carepackage killstreak! Send one over there!"
-waits for a bit-
-wonders where it is-
-looks up to find it on top of a five story building-

:(

winnarps

panda21 said:
i'm surprised more people dont shoot down the UAVs, seems like a complete dick move and it must really piss off the other team.

I need to practice this more. It's just the plane flying around the edges of the map, right?

Does it stick around for the entirety of the UAV? Or just a quick flyby to scan?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
chubigans said:
-waits for a bit-
-wonders where it is-

People are terrible with those :lol

I once saw 3 care packages right outside the barbed fence on the border of Scrapyard, then a fourth one dropped into the same pile with this guy trying to get to them.

panda21 said:

I usually don't waste my rockets on UAV's, because they're SO easy to get. Takes like 5-30 seconds until the new one is online.

bud

i haven't played an fps for, like, years, but i immediately jumped into the mp anyway. christ, i'm fucking terrible. i played for about five minutes and only had one assist. smh. i guess i'll finish the sp first before going online again...

btw, i've played about 10 minutes of the sp and it's like kojima wrote it. the monologues sound pretty much the same as snake's at the beginning of mgs4. :lol

chubigans said:
-waits for a bit-
-wonders where it is-

My first one was worse. I was unfamiliar with the level and threw it into an area we didn't have secure and an enemy killed me, stole the drop, and proceeded to use the chopper gunner to rack up a massive kill streak :(

Rez said:
I tried this repeatedly and it never worked with UAV. I assumed it was because it was too small or something. I probably effed it somehow, I'll give it another try tomorrow.

Yeah, try it again. I have no problem taking out UAVs with those yokes.

JB1981

bud said:
i haven't played an fps for, like, years, but i immediately jumped into the mp anyway. christ, i'm fucking terrible. i played for about five minutes and only had one assist. smh. i guess i'll finish the sp first before going online again...

btw, i've played about 10 minutes of the sp and it's like kojima wrote it. the monologues sound pretty much the same as snake's at the beginning of mgs4. :lol

Kojima's writing is better, which is saying something lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Feeling kinda stupid, but the default rocket launcher can lock onto targets?

Christ I had no idea...

bud said:
i haven't played an fps for, like, years, but i immediately jumped into the mp anyway. christ, i'm fucking terrible. i played for about five minutes and only had one assist. smh.

I'm with you there. Someone earlier kept saying that the MP hits its stride around level 25, and I'm starting to agree. Not only because by that point you'll have enough weapon/attachment/perk variety to really find what works for you, but until you get to that point you're not going to understand the maps and the flow of the game well enough. Just keep pushing forward!

remz

Stinger def unlocks at 30, I just got it.

Damn even though most games are laggy as fuck, I can't stop playing :lol

Aspiring

Still have yet to play this lol. But i did download CoD Classic, and fuck its awesome. Hard to get used to with no auto healing though lol.

Rawk Hawk

Lonewolf_92 said:

I've been using Assault Rifles or Sub Machine Guns, Shotty as a secondary always. Sticky 'nades or Throwing Knife and Stun 'nades.

Normally have Sleight of Hand and Hardline, the third I've have been changing. Painkiller as a deathstreak, but mainly cause it's the best I have unlocked.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
do the UAV-jam and scrambler perk look the same on the radar?

unlocking, and then seeing, the holographic sight is probably the most disappointed i've been playing a game this year.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
is it just me or do some of the more urban maps have a shit ton of flying debris?..for someone as twitchy and paranoid as me it gets really distracting confusing a flying trashbag for an enemy

Raxus

Osaka said:
People are terrible with those :lol

I once saw 3 care packages right outside the barbed fence on the border of Scrapyard, then a fourth one dropped into the same pile with this guy trying to get to them.

I usually don't waste my rockets on UAV's, because they're SO easy to get. Takes like 5-30 seconds until the new one is online.
I have killed myself with my own airdrop before :(. But I have also killed a man with an airdrop and seen a good many people get crushed as well.

If I can spot the UAV I usually shoot it down if I am in the clear. It is an easy 50 points, counts toward cold blooded pro, and it helps the team out as a whole.

Now up to 6 nukes. 4 more and I have a new nuke emblem!

Raxus said:
I have killed myself with my own airdrop before :(. But I have also killed a man with an airdrop and seen a good many people get crushed as well.

If I can spot the UAV I usually shoot it down if I am in the clear. It is an easy 50 points, counts toward cold blooded pro, and it helps the team out as a whole.

Now up to 6 nukes. 4 more and I have a new nuke emblem!

How many games have you played with the nuke enabled? I've played quite a few games and haven't seen it show up...about how often are you actually able to detonate one?

RubxQub said:
Feeling kinda stupid, but the default rocket launcher can lock onto targets?

Christ I had no idea...

Well to be fair it's an AT-4 and the thing really is not supposed to be able to lock onto helicopters and planes, it's a direct fire anti tank rocket launcher. But game made it into some kind of anti air weapon that takes like 3 rockets to take out air support :p

Raxus

divisionbyzorro said:
How many games have you played with the nuke enabled? I've played quite a few games and haven't seen it show up...about how often are you actually able to detonate one?
I consider myself "good" at the game. And even I have to say the nuke is incredibly hard to detonate. While it is much easier to get on Groundwar I have gotten it a couple times on Team Deathmatch. Honestly, it's more of a novelty thing than anything else. Use it, get the achievements for it and drop it. The EMP is much easier of course and helps your team much more in the long run IMO.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Raxus said:

I'm using Stingers, so it only has one rocket. 200-400 points > 50 points. Those Pave Low's and Harriers and Choppers are way more annoying than the UAV that's usually permanently on anyway.

Raxus

vehn said:
How can you tell when the progress you have for a new emblem?
You can't but some are pretty self explanitory. The in game challenges are what give you a majority of your titles and emblems. For example, Endgame I (Use 2 nukes to end the game) gives you the Global Thermonuclear War title. End Game II gives you the end of the line title. And EVERY FINAL killstreak specific challenge (i.e End Game III) gives you the emblem of that particular killstreak. So far I have UAV, Airdrop, Predator Missile, Harrier, and the Gunner Chopper. I hope to earn Nuke, AC130, and EMP next :D .

Raxus

Osaka said:
I'm using Stingers, so it only has one rocket. 200-400 points > 50 points. Those Pave Low's and Harriers and Choppers are way more annoying than the UAV that's usually permanently on anyway.
I have scavenger. So I usually never worry since ammo is usually one gun drop away.

mrwilt

Wow, I suck at this game. Played a few matches online and got my ass handed to me. Last game I went 1 kill to 12 deaths. :lol Having a hard time seeing the enemy and when I do they already have a bead on me. Frustrating.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Raxus said:
I have scavenger. So I usually never worry since ammo is usually one gun drop away.

Ah. Makes sense.

I use Sleight of Hand Pro instead, which has saved me thousands of times. Faster to reload than whipping out the Magnum, with that :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
mrwilt said:
Wow, I suck at this game. Played a few matches online and got my ass handed to me. Last game I went 1 kill to 12 deaths. :lol Having a hard time seeing the enemy and when I do they already have a bead on me. Frustrating.
Same for me. I suppose all those years of never playing military shooters (no Counter Strike, no CoD, no Battlefield, etc) makes it impossible to get into at this point.

Ah well, I've realized that I no longer enjoy competitive multiplayer. I much prefer CO-OP (anything from a "horde mode" to an actual CO-OP campaign).

Osaka said:
The Stinger has 2 rockets, doesn't it?

Top Bottom